Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Freddy Gray Payout
Apparently this is the proposed settlement to the family of Freddie Gray.

http://news.yahoo.com/baltimore-tentative-6-4-million-settlement-freddie-gray-144425987.html

Is this an admission that they have a problem ?
It's tough to put a dollar amount on a life, but is this adequate ?
(09-09-2015, 02:02 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: Apparently this is the proposed settlement to the family of Freddie Gray.

http://news.yahoo.com/baltimore-tentative-6-4-million-settlement-freddie-gray-144425987.html

Obviously there was a problem. The police who handled Gray didn't go by policy. I think that the dollar amount is adequate. My uncle died because of a product he was using while at work (he worked as a mechanic). When the case settled my aunt was only payed out a little over a million dollars, so I think 6.4 million is more than the norm.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I guess it could be a good move from the city trying to settle before the criminal trial, but undoubtedly this is going to look bad for the officers going on trial. I would think the lawyers for the officers would be trying to get the case moved after their own city is basically admitting guilt. Those jurors can not be happy that their tax money is paying off the family before they trial is ever heard.
(09-09-2015, 02:02 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: Apparently this is the proposed settlement to the family of Freddie Gray.

Its never an admission.  They will say this was to save the money of a trial and no admission of guilt.

Then we'll all move on to the next isolated event.  Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-09-2015, 09:29 AM)GMDino Wrote: Its never an admission.  They will say this was to save the money of a trial and no admission of guilt.

Then we'll all move on to the next isolated event.  Ninja

They should move on to prosecuting the mayor for allowing the rioters to destroy part of the city she left unprotected.
First cop tried ended in a mistrial.

https://gma.yahoo.com/first-freddie-gray-trial-ends-hung-jury-mistrial-203148506--abc-news-topstories.html

Wonder is folks will behave themselves.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(12-16-2015, 09:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: First cop tried ended in a mistrial.

https://gma.yahoo.com/first-freddie-gray-trial-ends-hung-jury-mistrial-203148506--abc-news-topstories.html

Wonder is folks will behave themselves.

I'm sure they will be on their best behavior and go at least a few days without killing an unarmed person already in custody
(12-17-2015, 12:56 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: I'm sure they will be on their best behavior and go at least a few days without killing an unarmed person already in custody

Damn, that sounds bad. Who killed an unarmed person already in custody?

(12-17-2015, 01:48 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Damn, that sounds bad. Who killed an unarmed person already in custody?

Obviously it was the back of that van's fault.  Damn van brutality is getting out of control.
(12-17-2015, 01:54 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Obviously it was the back of that van's fault.  Damn van brutality is getting out of control.

....or it could have been Freddy's was to blame.

Nope that's not it; no one will riot because of that. Luckily we have the likes of you to stoke the flames. 

(12-17-2015, 01:57 AM)bfine32 Wrote: ....or it could have been Freddy's was to blame.

Nope that's not it; no one will riot because of that. Luckily we have the likes of you to stoke the flames. 

Damnit, I keep on forgetting there are individuals who are ABOVE the law.  Because to question the police is unpatriotic.  Almost makes me wonder why we even bother with the whole judicial system.  Lets just consolidate and let these infallible gym rats play judge jury and executioner as well.  
(12-17-2015, 02:06 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Damnit, I keep on forgetting there are individuals who are ABOVE the law.  Because to question the police is unpatriotic.  Almost makes me wonder why we even bother with the whole judicial system.  Lets just consolidate and let these infallible gym rats play judge jury and executioner as well.  

No doubt. I wonder what would happen if a case such as this ever went through the judicial system...........

Hey, wait a minute. 

(12-17-2015, 02:09 AM)bfine32 Wrote: No doubt. I wonder what would happen if a case such as this ever went through the judicial system...........

Hey, wait a minute. 

Right.  Because a 'mistrial' is the definitive nobody was at fault.  (other than that damn van)  Also Big Ben never sexually assaulted anyone.
(12-17-2015, 02:12 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Right.  Because a 'mistrial' is the definitive nobody was at fault.  (other than that damn van)  Also Big Ben never sexually assaulted anyone.

Where did I ever say nobody was at fault? I just didn't assume the police killed an unarmed man already in custody and it seems the Justice system did not either. 

(12-17-2015, 02:15 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Where did I ever say nobody was at fault? I just didn't assume the police killed an unarmed man already in custody and it seems the Justice system did not either. 

oh.  so he was already on his death bed and just decided to apprehend him and throw him in the back of that damn violent van.  got it.  sounds like the best course of action to ensure the safety of a citizen.  guess it was his fault for being near death and getting apprehended.  is my timeline off?
(12-17-2015, 02:20 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: oh.  so he was already on his death bed and just decided to apprehend him and throw him in the back of that damn violent van.  got it.  sounds like the best course of action to ensure the safety of a citizen.  guess it was his fault for being near death and getting apprehended.  is my timeline off?

Damnit.  I forgot.  He should have performed life saving emergency services on himself in the back of that van.  Handcuffed or not.

My apologies.
Wasn't there someone else in the back of the van with Mr. Gray?

I'm wondering because I thought I read there was another person back there.

If there was, why isn't he dead too or at least having some bumps and bruises?

If there wasn't, then fry them.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
(12-17-2015, 02:15 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Where did I ever say nobody was at fault? I just didn't assume the police killed an unarmed man already in custody and it seems the Justice system did not either. 

The justice system has not yet had an opinion on the matter.

Mistrial is not an acquittal.

In fact it could have been 11 to 1 in favor of conviction.  Have the announced what the vote was?
Also admission that the city was "at fault" does not mean they are admitting guilt to any crime.

If you get money because a car hits you that does not mean the driver of the other car committed any crime.

However that does look bad based on the facts in this case.
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/judge-finds-prosecutors-withheld-evidence-freddie-gray-officer-154226833--abc-news-topstories.html

Quote:The judge overseeing the trial of a police officer charged with murdering Freddie Gray has determined that prosecutors withheld information that would have been beneficial to the defense.

Judge Barry Williams was visibly angry in the Baltimore court but he did not dismiss the charges against police officer Caesar Goodson, as his attorneys had requested. Williams is giving prosecutors until Monday to disclose any other relevant evidence they have withheld. Goodson was the driver of the van during the arrest of Gray, 25, last year.

Does this state prosecutor still have a job?