Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Fredtoast 2016 midseason prediction.
FIRST HALF SUMMARY

Bengal are what their record says they are.  Below average.  Bengals have losing record and have been outscored by 22 points.  That places them 23rd in the league in point differential.  All 3 wins have come against terrible teams.  Dolphins look good now, but they were playing like crap when we beat them.  Tied a decent team in Redskins, played a decent Steelers team close on the road, but got beaten badly by Denver, New England, and Dallas.

Offense....Offensive line has been biggest disappointment.  Ogbuehi still has not had a healthy training camp, so I am not ready to write him off as a bust, but he has looked completely lost at times.  But it seems there have also been breakdowns all over the line.  Dalton has looked fine.  New receivers look solid.  Hill and Bernard are each overrated by many people around here, but they are both capable runners if they can get some blocking.  If Eifert can stay healthy I think we can have a good offense, but not near as good as it has been in recent years when we were not giving up as many sacks.  Sacks kill drives.

Defense....Overall disappointment.  We can't stop the run or the pass.  I believe we have some decent talent on the line but not enough to have a deep rotation.  We also have some talent in the backfield, but they look confused too often.  Our LBs have looked slow and out of position a lot this year.  I don't have much hope for the defense turning it around this year.  Talent is not there and coaching looks suspect.

FINAL HALF PREDICTIONS  

@ Giants....Bengals always flat coming off bye week and also in prime time games.  Combine those two and Giants beat Bengals 35-21

Bills...Buffalo has top ten scoring offense and 13th ranked scoring defense.  They can't throw the ball but they have the #2 rushing offense which will feast on our 24th ranked rush defense.  Bills #11 pass defense slows down Dalton enough to get a 21-20 victory

@ Ravens....Baltimore's #1 ranked defense chews up Bengals playing on the road.  Ravens win 17-13

Eagles...Philly has a top 10 scoring offense and the #3 scoring defense.  They have the third highest point differential in the league (+66).  They beat the Bengals 31-24.

@ Browns....No.  I will not go there.  Bengals win 28-17

Steelers....Pittsburgh has won six of last seven in Cincinnati and 11 of last 14 overall.  It is also a prime time game.  Steelers 31-24.

@ Texans....Houston struggles on offense but they are 6-3 with wins over Detroit (5-4) and Kansas City (7-2).  They have the #4 defense in the league, plus they seem to own the Bengals, plus it is a prime time game.  Biggest difference will probably be that Texans are still in the hunt for a playoff spots while 4-9-1 Bengals are making vacation plans.  Texans win 21-20

Ravens ...Baltimore still in playoff hunt.  Bengals skip last day of practice to clean out lockers early.  Ravens 31-14.

Bengals finish 4-11-1.  Score 331 points (24th).  Defense allows 393 (20th).

Marvin Lewis resigns.  Vance Joseph hired as replacement.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2016, 03:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: FIRST HALF SUMMARY

Bengal are what their record says they are.  Below average.  3-4-1 record came against a strength of schedule ranked 16th in the league.  Bengals have been outscored by 22 points which places them 23rd in the league in point differential.  All 3 wins have come against terrible teams.  Dolphins look good now, but they were playing like crap when we beat them.  Tied a decent team in Redskins, played a decent Steelers team close on the road, but got beat badly by Denver, New England, and Dallas.

Offense....Offensive line has been biggest disappointment.  Ogbuehi still has not had a healthy training camp, so I am not ready to write him off as a bust, but he has looked completely lost at times.  But at times it seems there have been breakdowns all ovet the line.  Dalton has looked fine.  New receivers look solid.  Hill and Bernard are each overrated by many people around here, but they are both capable runners if they can get some blocking.  If Eifert can stay healthy I think we can have a good offense, but not near as good as it has been in recent years when we were not giving up as many sacks.  Sacks kill drives.

Defense....Overall disappointment.  We can't stop the run or the pass.  I believe we have some decent talent on the line but not enough to have a deep rotation.  We also have some talent in the backfield, but they look confused too often.  Our LBs have looked slow and out of position a lot this year.  I don't have much hope for the defense turning it around this year.  Talent is not there and coaching looks suspect.

FINAL HALF PREDICTIONS  

@ Giants....Bengals always flat coming off bye and in prime time.  Combine those two and Giants beat Bengals 35-21

Bills...Buffalo has top ten scoring offense and 13th ranked scoring defense.  They can't throw the ball but they have the #2 rushing offense which will feast on our 24th ranked rush defense.  Bills #11 pass defense slows down Dalton enough to get a 21-20 victory

@ Ravens....Baltimore's #1 ranked defense chews up Bengals playing on the road.  Ravens win 17-13

Eagles...Philly has a top 10 scoring offense and the #3 scoring defense.  They have the third highest point differential in the league (+66).  They beat the Bengals 31-24.

Steelers....Pittsburgh has won six of last seven in Cincinnati and 11 of last 14 overall.  It is also a prime time game.  Steelers 31-24.

@ Texans....Houston struggles on offense but they are 6-3 with wins over Detroit (5-4) and Kansas City (7-2).  They have the #4 defense in the league, plus they seem to own the Bengals, plus it is a prime time game.  Biggest difference will probably be that Texans are still in the hunt for a playoff spots while 4-9-1 Bengals are making vacation plans.  Texans win 21-20

Ravens ...Baltimore still in playoff hunt.  Bengals skip last day of practice to clean out lockers early.  Ravens 31-14.

To sum it up: Marvin sucks.  Glad you finally see the light.
Reply/Quote

Bengal are what their record says they are.  Below average.  3-4-1 record came against a strength of schedule ranked 16th in the league.  Bengals have been outscored by 22 points which places them 23rd in the league in point differential.  All 3 wins have come against terrible teams.  Dolphins look good now, but they were playing like crap when we beat them.  Tied a decent team in Redskins, played a decent Steelers team close on the road, but got beat badly by Denver, New England, and Dallas.

Offense....Offensive line has been biggest disappointment.  Ogbuehi still has not had a healthy training camp, so I am not ready to write him off as a bust, but he has looked completely lost at times.  But at times it seems there have been breakdowns all ovet the line.  Dalton has looked fine.  New receivers look solid.  Hill and Bernard are each overrated by many people around here, but they are both capable runners if they can get some blocking.  If Eifert can stay healthy I think we can have a good offense, but not near as good as it has been in recent years when we were not giving up as many sacks.  Sacks kill drives.

FINAL HALF PREDICTIONS  

@ Giants....Bengals always flat coming off bye and in prime time.  Combine those two and Giants beat Bengals 35-21

That would bring me great joy. Be totally worth that dismal finish you predict.
Reply/Quote
Why does anybody want Vance Joseph to be head coach? Is it the only name known?
Reply/Quote
LOL Fred has gone from one deep end into the other.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2016, 03:55 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Why does anybody want Vance Joseph to be head coach? Is it the only name known?

He was a darling with the FO before he left and is widely respected around the league. He is an up and comer for sure. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
We will win one against the Ravens, but that's a pretty good look at the mountain in front of us. For everyone saying the toughest games are behind us, we don't pair well against the Bills, Eagles or Ravens.

Just my 2 cents, I think we finish 6-9-1. And I don't see Marvin re-signing. I think he's here next season without an extension, and the Browns start to look at putting a new top to bottom in place, instead of trying to limp along with Marvin's leftovers.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2016, 04:05 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: He was a darling with the FO before he left and is widely respected around the league. He is an up and comer for sure. 

He was respected but he hasn't even finished his first season as a defensive coordinator. Maybe someday but he hasn't shown enough to warrant all of the HC talk around here.
Reply/Quote
I agree with you first half analysis, spot on. I had them getting to six wins in my mind (not that there is much difference between four wins and six), so I would like to say I disagree, but can't...

Bringing in Vance Joseph could be really good for this team. He is young, innovative, knows the players. I would be very curious how much of the current staff stays versus how many of his own people he brings (obviously a big part of that would be who does he want to keep).
Reply/Quote

FINAL HALF PREDICTIONS  

IF this is the second half finish, and I DO see it as very possible, then it would be the best likely circumstance for Lewis to resign, and yes, he would have to resign.  However, Marvin Lewis DOES have quality skills he could still contribute as GM, but that's been a forever 'pipe dream'.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2016, 03:55 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Why does anybody want Vance Joseph to be head coach? Is it the only name known?

I just predicted what would happen.

But the Miami defense has improved in his first year as DC and before that he had developed a good reputation as a DB coach.  The team he coached DBs for has finished in the top 10 in pass efficiency defense 5 of the previous 7 seasons

'15....Bengals.....5th
'14....Bengals.....3rd
'12....Texans.....10th
'11....Texans......2nd
'09....Niners.......9th

But I really think that being a good position coach is much different from being a good coordinator and being a good coordinator is different from being a good head coach.  
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2016, 04:05 PM)Benton Wrote: We will win one against the Ravens, but that's a pretty good look at the mountain in front of us. For everyone saying the toughest games are behind us, we don't pair well against the Bills, Eagles or Ravens.

Just my 2 cents, I think we finish 6-9-1. And I don't see Marvin re-signing. I think he's here next season without an extension, and the Browns start to look at putting a new top to bottom in place, instead of trying to limp along with Marvin's leftovers.

I would really hope that is not the case.  If you know he's not part of the future, then let him go and both parties move on.  I know there is the argument that MB is not going to pay someone for a year of not working, but hopefully Katie would realize how damaging this situation could be to the team.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2016, 03:42 PM)JumboTron Wrote: To sum it up: Marvin sucks.  Glad you finally see the light.

I never said that.

But thanks for showing the level of your analytical skills.
Reply/Quote
As much as I want to, I really can't argue with this.

Reply/Quote
Not too far from the realm of possibility.  I think they'll win at least 3 more this year.....but not much, if any, more.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2016, 04:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I never said that.

But thanks for showing the level of your analytical skills.

Don't be so salty fred.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2016, 04:59 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Don't be so salty fred.

That's hilarious coming from a guy who does nothing but complain and insult everything about the Bengals..
Reply/Quote
Did Vance Joseph only sign a one year deal with Miami?
Reply/Quote

Bengal are what their record says they are.  Below average.  Bengals have losing record and have been outscored by 22 points.  That places them 23rd in the league in point differential.  All 3 wins have come against terrible teams.  Dolphins look good now, but they were playing like crap when we beat them.  Tied a decent team in Redskins, played a decent Steelers team close on the road, but got beaten badly by Denver, New England, and Dallas.

Offense....Offensive line has been biggest disappointment.  Ogbuehi still has not had a healthy training camp, so I am not ready to write him off as a bust, but he has looked completely lost at times.  But it seems there have also been breakdowns all over the line.  Dalton has looked fine.  New receivers look solid.  Hill and Bernard are each overrated by many people around here, but they are both capable runners if they can get some blocking.  If Eifert can stay healthy I think we can have a good offense, but not near as good as it has been in recent years when we were not giving up as many sacks.  Sacks kill drives.

FINAL HALF PREDICTIONS  

@ Giants....Bengals always flat coming off bye week and also in prime time games.  Combine those two and Giants beat Bengals 35-21

Is today opposite day?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

FINAL HALF PREDICTIONS  

Who hacked Fred's account?  Ninja
Reply/Quote