Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Agency Day One
(03-14-2023, 02:49 PM)jj22 Wrote: Yep, Bell came with experience and playoff experience/success. That was key to the FA classes that Zac brought in to change the culture around. This team has the playoff experience now and can cover for any rookies and new additions that don't, but you do want some football smart  and savvy safety's and that experience will take some time if we go young. 

Gardner-Johnson would provide the same and has 3 less years of wear and tear than Bell has. Sure hope he lands here...

Also had 6 picks last year to Bell's 4.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 12:55 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: KC’s success in the passing game is more geared to off script than the Bengals. They like Tee and his length for Burrow. They aren’t as dependent as we are on great WR. They also have a better run game. I’m sure you know all that. KC was 1-1 versus us last year. 1-3 the last 2 years. People on here act like they are the Pats in their heyday. They beat us on an uncharacteristic big punt return and untimely personal foul at the gun. We aren’t their lap dog. Now it doesn’t mean they’ve not run a great front office especially the draft. But there’s not just one way to build a team.

Huge huge weapon for Burrow based on what you said. Length and having a 6'4" thoroughbred WR high point the ball to the tune of near the rim is huge. How many deep fades did Tee catch that went for big yards? Football is not just a game played out on the field but when you can also use the air above as a quadrant it's big weaponry.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 03:10 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Huge huge weapon for Burrow based on what you said. Length and having a 6'4" thoroughbred WR high point the ball to the tune of near the rim is huge. How many deep fades did Tee catch that went for big yards? Football is not just a game played out on the field but when you can also use the air above as a quadrant it's big weaponry.

Truth and while I understand why some want to make the Defense elite (I am one of them) it looks like we are going to really try
and extend Tee. Sometimes it is like the Defense just cannot stop those deep sideline fades and Burrow throws them perfect where
only he can get them. This helps the Defense when they need rest.

What is nice about the Pratt deal is it freed up money with Bates outta here and even the guaranteed money that went to Bell from 
the Panthers we could use to do some other things that could be in play we don't yet know about. Same with the Mixon money once
he is cut which I am pretty sure is going to happen sooner or later.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 09:09 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I like Higgins. But the offense has been what's failed us the last 2 years. I'd rather pay Burrow and Chase and put Higgins money towards defense and or protection towards Burrow if it was my call. Everyone wants to talk about how little the two superbowl Champs were paying there running backs but the Chiefs didn't have any big contracts in the receiving department. Outside of Kelce who Chase could be our # 1 target.

They paid JuJu 10 million but that's not HUGE money nowadays.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 12:55 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: KC’s success in the passing game is more geared to off script than the Bengals. They like Tee and his length for Burrow. They aren’t as dependent as we are on great WR. They also have a better run game. I’m sure you know all that. KC was 1-1 versus us last year. 1-3 the last 2 years. People on here act like they are the Pats in their heyday. They beat us on an uncharacteristic big punt return and untimely personal foul at the gun. We aren’t their lap dog. Now it doesn’t mean they’ve not run a great front office especially the draft. But there’s not just one way to build a team.

We've had a good record against KC the past two years in large part because of our defense/secondary that we just lost both of our safeties from. The offense is a part of it but we've also seen the last 2 years that the QB and WRs aren't enough. We need to protect Burrow better. So the question becomes with defense and protection can you do it with Burrow Chase and draft picks at WR.
Reply/Quote
Still not worried. Lou can roll with Awuzie, Apple and Hilton at corner and Hill and CTB at corners, and that backfield would never miss a beat.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 05:52 PM)pulses Wrote: They paid JuJu 10 million but that's not HUGE money nowadays.

Yeah I couldn't remember what Juju's contract was but I knew it was a one year deal. So I considered it small but 10 mil isn't nothing although I'm sure a franchise tag is like 20. My point was more if we protected Burrow at the level they were protecting Mahomes I think Burrow cooks with Chase and just about any receivers they happen to have. I like Tee I just hope we aren't sacrificing other areas now in an attempt to keep him.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 06:38 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Yeah I couldn't remember what Juju's contract was but I knew it was a one year deal. So I considered it small but 10 mil isn't nothing although I'm sure a franchise tag is like 20. My point was more if we protected Burrow at the level they were protecting Mahomes I think Burrow cooks with Chase and just about any receivers they happen to have. I like Tee I just hope we aren't sacrificing other areas now in an attempt to keep him.
If it comes down to it you trade Higgins for a big haul and sign the OL you need and draft more WR's. We seem to draft WR's well in the early parts of the draft. So I agree with you.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 06:29 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Still not worried. Lou can roll with Awuzie, Apple and Hilton at corner and Hill and CTB at corners, and that backfield would never miss a beat.

I'm sure that's what people thought about letting Whitworth walk. That we could replace him with one of those two tackles and Paul Alexander would have them ready.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 06:23 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: We've had a good record against KC the past two years in large part because of our defense/secondary that we just lost both of our safeties from. The offense is a part of it but we've also seen the last 2 years that the QB and WRs aren't enough. We need to protect Burrow better. So the question becomes with defense and protection can you do it with Burrow Chase and draft picks at WR.

What we’ve seen the last two years is that we lead the Rams in the SB until 1:25 to go in the game. That we were tied with the SB champs the KC Chiefs until 3 seconds to go in the AFC Championship and are 3-1 against them the last 2 years. But your concerns losing Vonn and Jesse are legit. Today the ‘23 team has been weakened. But they drafted Dax Hill knowing they weren’t retaining Bates. So that’s a part of the process. They lost Perine because he got a big payday for a part time back. As I’ve been adamant and unwavering Mixon is their guy. But don’t you think they can find a running back at a lot less? The OL needs some help. They’d better find another tackle because starting Carman & Jonah is far from ideal.

Hopefully the bleeding ? is over and they get Logan and Hurst signed. I’m not going to worry yet…. but let’s face it the Bengals free agents are definitely benefiting from what they bring culture wise plain and simple.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 06:42 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I'm sure that's what people thought about letting Whitworth walk. That we could replace him with one of those two tackles and Paul Alexander would have them ready.

Yeah, but we've seen a lot of CTB already...
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 06:29 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Still not worried. Lou can roll with Awuzie, Apple and Hilton at corner and Hill and CTB at corners, and that backfield would never miss a beat.

We should probably play at least one at Safety 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 07:43 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, but we've seen a lot of CTB already...

I know we have. But we haven't seen a lot of Dax. I was a little concerned about him since he didn't play safety in college. But now losing Bell just has me worried. I know we gotta sign Burrow but am I wrong that those cap hits would be coming later since we would most likely be adding years on to his deal. Feels like we are being cheap to be cheap. 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 07:12 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: What we’ve seen the last two years is that we lead the Rams in the SB until 1:25 to go in the game. That we were tied with the SB champs the KC Chiefs until 3 seconds to go in the AFC Championship and are 3-1 against them the last 2 years. But your concerns losing Vonn and Jesse are legit. Today the ‘23 team has been weakened. But they drafted Dax Hill knowing they weren’t retaining Bates. So that’s a part of the process. They lost Perine because he got a big payday for a part time back. As I’ve been adamant and unwavering Mixon is their guy. But don’t you think they can find a running back at a lot less? The OL needs some help. They’d better find another tackle because starting Carman & Jonah is far from ideal.

Hopefully the bleeding ? is over and they get Logan and Hurst signed. I’m not going to worry yet…. but let’s face it the Bengals free agents are definitely benefiting from what they bring culture wise plain and simple.

Mixon is most certainly gone since Perine is gone, who is going to block for Burrow? What a loss.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 08:19 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Mixon is most certainly gone since Perine is gone, who is going to block for Burrow? What a loss.

Mixon was never going anywhere. I was adamant about that. I’ve never wavered.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 08:28 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Mixon was never going anywhere. I was adamant about that. I’ve never wavered.

Yes but he shouldn't be there, IMO, but then again they've constructed a roster that's taken them deep in the playoffs. Mixon should take minimum NFL wage to stay on this team and be backup, lol.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 08:31 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Yes but he shouldn't be there, IMO, but then again they've constructed a roster that's taken them deep in the playoffs. Mixon should take minimum NFL wage to stay on this team and be backup, lol.

I’ve not been on here but a couple of years. How many times did I read posters say how stupid to have Samaje Perine in on third down. Especially after the Super Bowl? This time last year upgrade from him immediately. This year get rid of Mixon because Perine is better. Well the Carolina Panther game with a healthy OL was not a dream sequence. Losing Perine is not great but these free agents are getting money because of their success. We’ve gotten Awouzie, Hendrickson, and Hilton much the same way. It sucks but Perine was not worth that to us. Perine was so close to being out the league. We saved him. I’ve seen his house in Norman. It’s modest. He’s smart with his money. He’s trying to maximize it.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 08:54 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’ve not been on here but a couple of years. How many times did I read posters say how stupid to have Samaje Perine in on third down. Especially after the Super Bowl? This time last year upgrade from him immediately. This year get rid of Mixon because Perine is better. Well the Carolina Panther game with a healthy OL was not a dream sequence. Losing Perine is not great but these free agents are getting money because of their success. We’ve gotten Awouzie, Hendrickson, and Hilton much the same way. It sucks but Perine was not worth that to us. Perine was so close to being out the league. We saved him. I’ve seen his house in Norman. It’s modest. He’s smart with his money. He’s trying to maximize it.

You don't pay a RB top 10 money so he can show up once per year to put up video game numbers on an NFC team that had a losing season.
Reply/Quote
They are not in a rush to release Mixon with no one on the roster yet and even then the money doesnt really come off the books until June 1st (even if you cut him now as a June 1st cut). They will make sure they have a solid RB group before Mixon is released...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote