4 10.81%
Geno
89.19%
33 89.19%
Total 37 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Free Agency is Over (before it even began)
(02-13-2018, 10:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: After this ridiculous claim from Marv back in January of 2015:

I will never again fall for any BS quotes or made up free agency hype. I'm not sure why anyone else would, either. After getting smacked with a mallet so many times, you should learn to duck. As George Dubya once said...

[Image: 5d1a8b845abd978cca140a1bf71b5524d1e7de44...2a6d9e.jpg]

Did somebody say Mallett?

[Image: 14037.png]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2018, 02:39 PM)phil413 Wrote: If we play along with Marvin finally saying they should look at signing players from other teams more, it goes against the status quo.  Rather than a flippant comment, I'm playing along in thinking that if they're looking to of course keep core players and sign guys to fill gaps (OL), the way to combat that is cutting players to make the money work.

Yeah, Adam Jones needs to go. Way too much cap space taken up by the cb position.

Imo, cutting or trading Dre k would be a smart move as well. He is definitely not worth top tier money.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2018, 02:55 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: Yeah, Adam Jones needs to go. Way too much cap space taken up by the cb position.

Imo, cutting or trading Dre k would be a smart move as well. He is definitely not worth top tier money.

Mike Brown won't eat the $5.6m in dead space if they cut him this year. Lowers to $4.2m if they cut him after 2019.

Kirkpatrick is here to stay, start, suck, and eat up way more cap space than he is worth. Look forward to Will Jack being on the bench in 2018 with Kirkpatrick, Jones, and Dennard all making pretty big money.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
TheUberHuber Wrote:Yeah, Adam Jones needs to go. Way too much cap space taken up by the cb position.

I agree with both.  Resign Dennard and the big two DL to new deals and bring two vet FA OL in.  If Marvin is back and "won" the ability to go get another team's players then Mikey had to concede dead money.  
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2018, 02:55 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: Yeah, Adam Jones needs to go. Way too much cap space taken up by the cb position.

Cutting two first round picks will create holes to fill Shaw stunk it up last year. In a passing league we need more then two solid guys specially when those two guys are some of the smallest guys on the field. William Jackson and Dennard are both solid but if you go into the year with those two and 3 or 4 scrubs behind them you are asking for trouble. If you cut Jones and DreK then we will need to replace them both in free agency or the draft.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2018, 12:34 PM)jj22 Wrote: Dunlap's batted balls should be taken into consideration. He's contributed in ways that stats (although batted balls are a stat) don't necessarily reflect.

Makes you wonder where the roll over money for Whit, Z, Jones, Sanu, Eifert went.....

I was thinking about counting batted balls as well. Yes, I too would like to know where the roll over money went. But, not the CNN version.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2018, 07:02 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Cutting two first round picks will create holes to fill Shaw stunk it up last year. In a passing league we need more then two solid guys specially when those two guys are some of the smallest guys on the field. William Jackson and Dennard are both solid but if you go into the year with those two and 3 or 4 scrubs behind them you are asking for trouble. If you cut Jones and DreK then we will need to replace them both in free agency or the draft.

We need a solid number 3.. we don't need 4 starters. We have a good guy in wj3 on a rookie contract anf need to take advantage of that. want and need are different. Well, I guess you could say we do need 52 all pro's to win the super bowl with this management, but that's a whole different story.. lol

Dre is not worth what he is getting paid, that is what it comes down to, and the sooner he is gone the better. I wouldnt say he is bad, just not worth his salary. At the very minimum they need to restructure his deal. Even though the bengals don't have the balls to do this -- i think they have leverage here.

I would rather get rid of Dre and keep Jones but Adam has shown to be a liabilityl and has overall character issues that shouldn't be acceptable, especially at his age... which is unfortunate.. not to mention his level of play has also declined, so I would be ok with moving on from both and replacing them. 

I agree with you that having the depth is ideal. we just have too much money and draft picks in that particular position group that could be/have been used in other areas...
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2018, 06:13 PM)jj22 Wrote: For Bengals fans looking for upgrades during Free Agency (and hoping Marvin won something when he was begged to come back) are in for a sad reality once again.

With the Front office attention fully on Dunlap and Geno this offseason, there will be no money left over. NONE. (I understand you can't tag one next offsesaon, that's only useed on Kickers).

Thus hopes of some help on the Oline will likely be Andre Smith, and LB will be re-singing Minter.

Also the growing belief is that Adam Jones will remain a Bengal so we can't create any cap space from cutting him.

Only good news is they may not be able to afford Bodine (but they'll somehow make that work).

On to the Draft.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/02/10/cincinnati-bengals-xtra-setting-table-bengals-free-agency/323385002/?from=new-cookie

I believe you are overly optimistic about what the Bengals will actually do in free agency.

I have Mikey boy down for another botched veteran move and predict that he'll f'up either Atkins or Dunlap's offers opening the door for a key departure next season. Mikey will low ball one of them with an insulting offer and come next off season he won't even offer that player a contract. Yep, we've seen it before and we'll see it again from the guy who never learns from his mistakes.

The team will overpay to keep Bodine by paying him as a start where as every other team in the league sees him as a backup. This will take money away from signing an actual decent player and continue to saddle our offense with a weak middle.

Then we have two OTs on the roster and two who are now free agents (Andre Smith and Eric Winston) and none of these four players are starter quality.

Yep, we'll need a great draft to have any chance of fielding a winning team in 2018. The same was true of last year's draft and the team wasted the 9th overall pick on a WR who had 1 touch, 1 fumble and 0 catches and was inactive for most games even when healthy.

The more desperate Mikey boy is that more loony his decisions are.

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2018, 04:56 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Youre right. I honestly thought he was older than he was. Hes 28. I would give him a 3-4 year deal if hes open to it. 

Yeah, Dunlap was really young when we drafted him, similar to Billings. Abnormaly young.

Give Geno the big deal and like you said a 3-4 year production wise deal for Dunlap.

Bring in an good O-lineman not named Hart in FA and that will help open up the draft.

This is all i ask.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2018, 03:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, Dunlap was really young when we drafted him, similar to Billings. Abnormaly young.

Give Geno the big deal and like you said a 3-4 year production wise deal for Dunlap.

Bring in an good O-lineman not named Hart in FA and that will help open up the draft.

This is all i ask.

Agree with both here

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote