4 10.81%
Geno
89.19%
33 89.19%
Total 37 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Free Agency is Over (before it even began)
(02-13-2018, 12:32 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And yet he ran his mouth about breaking Strahan’s sack record lol

And he really hasn't been the same player since mentioning it. He's starting to remind me a lot of Justin Smith during his years here. he can get close to the QB but can't finish the play. 

If I have to choose I'd go with Geno every time.
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2018, 02:04 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Geno all day. DTs are less expensive. Geno is a better DT than Dunlap is a DE.

Geno is an elite DT
Dunlap is an above average DE.

Ehhhh, not so much, and the only part of your post I disagree with.

The highest paid defensive player in the league is a DT. 4 of the top 10 paid defensive players are DTs, with 3 being OLB and 3 being DE.

Atkins is making roughly $10.6m/yr right now, and can reasonably expect $16-17m/yr+ in FA (Suh is making a little over $19m/yr, Fletcher Cox is 2nd making $17.1m/yr).
Dunlap is making roughly $7.9m/yr right now, and can reasonably expect $12m/yr in FA (above Michael Bennett's $10.2m/yr due to age, but below Everson Griffin's $14.5m/yr).

Atkins will make more total, and get a bigger raise from his current contract than Dunlap. DTs aren't less expensive now in the age of Atkins/Suh/Cox/McCoy/Donald/etc.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2018, 04:35 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Ehhhh, not so much, and the only part of your post I disagree with.

The highest paid defensive player in the league is a DT. 4 of the top 10 paid defensive players are DTs, with 3 being OLB and 3 being DE.

Atkins is making roughly $10.6m/yr right now, and can reasonably expect $16-17m/yr+ in FA (Suh is making a little over $19m/yr, Fletcher Cox is 2nd making $17.1m/yr).
Dunlap is making roughly $7.9m/yr right now, and can reasonably expect $12m/yr in FA (above Michael Bennett's $10.2m/yr due to age, but below Everson Griffin's $14.5m/yr).

Atkins will make more total, and get a bigger raise from his current contract than Dunlap. DTs aren't less expensive now in the age of Atkins/Suh/Cox/McCoy/Donald/etc.

Thought so, pay the man though, Geno is the player we have to re-sign. Even though i want them both back here.
Reply/Quote
Sorry, but im all for letting Dunlap and Pacman walk. Dunlap's prime is behind him and Pacman is just bad and a cancer to the team. If we bring him back that will honestly be worse than bringing Marvin back. Seriously.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2018, 04:49 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Sorry, but im all for letting Dunlap and Pacman walk. Dunlap's prime is behind him and Pacman is just bad. If we bring him back that will honestly be worse than bringing Marvin back. Seriously.

All for letting Adam walk but disagree on Dunlap. He is still very disruptive and is still relatively young.

Ends can actually last awhile in the NFL, look at Peppers.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2018, 04:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All for letting Adam walk but disagree on Dunlap. He is still very disruptive and is still relatively young.

Ends can actually last awhile in the NFL, look at Peppers.

Youre right. I honestly thought he was older than he was. Hes 28. I would give him a 3-4 year deal if hes open to it. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2018, 06:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Gotta keep those three cap-hogs in Jones, MJ, and LaFell because "reasons"! We can't even consider cutting those guys to free up cap! They've done so much for the team over the years! They've earned their last year regardless if they've under-performed the past 1-2 years!

And DreK. Don't forget DreK.

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2018, 06:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Gotta keep those three cap-hogs in Jones, MJ, and LaFell because "reasons"! We can't even consider cutting those guys to free up cap! They've done so much for the team over the years! They've earned their last year regardless if they've under-performed the past 1-2 years!
[Image: More-of-the-same.jpg]

LOL. Sounds just like Mikey Brownpants. What a joke.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2018, 01:12 PM)Wyche Wrote: I agree with that.  They tried to make the right move regarding Whit, it just backfired.  Overall, they haven't done too bad keeping their own, it's just when they didn't keep them, it seems they made the wrong calls at times.....a la JJo, Reggie, Whit...keeping Maualuga too long, etc.

FA has always been my main gripe.  I'll wait and see, but I'm just not very optimistic about it due to the precedence set.  We will see soon enough.

No doubt ! Botching free agency and/or way underutilizing it is one of the biggest shortcomings of the Mike Brown lead Bengals !
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2018, 04:49 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Sorry, but im all for letting Dunlap and Pacman walk. Dunlap's prime is behind him and Pacman is just bad and a cancer to the team. If we bring him back that will honestly be worse than bringing Marvin back. Seriously.

Pacman = yes Dunlap = no
Reply/Quote
After this ridiculous claim from Marv back in January of 2015:

Quote:"Oh yeah, (Mike Brown) is the one leading the charge," Lewis said via the Cincinnati Enquirer. "He doesn't want to hear, 'We will be better when we get these guys back.' No, we need to get better. He knows we need to get better. He's pushing people to identify players that will make us a better football team in free agency."

"It's a different feel than where we have been," Lewis said. "It's not a status quo. There has not been a status quo conversation or 'Oh, we'll be OK, we'll just get these guys back.' No, no, no, that's bull. We got to be better."

I will never again fall for any BS quotes or made up free agency hype. I'm not sure why anyone else would, either. After getting smacked with a mallet so many times, you should learn to duck. As George Dubya once said...

[Image: 5d1a8b845abd978cca140a1bf71b5524d1e7de44...2a6d9e.jpg]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2018, 10:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: After this ridiculous claim from Marv back in January of 2015:

I will never again fall for any BS quotes or made up free agency hype. I'm not sure why anyone else would, either. After getting smacked with a mallet so many times, you should learn to duck. As George Dubya once said...

[Image: 5d1a8b845abd978cca140a1bf71b5524d1e7de44...2a6d9e.jpg]

Well, then someone explained to Mr. Brown that he would have to come out of pocket, to hire another half dozen to the scouting dept...

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2018, 02:04 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Geno all day. DTs are less expensive. Geno is a better DT than Dunlap is a DE.

Geno is an elite DT
Dunlap is an above average DE.

Awesome DTs are much harder to come by than above average DEs.  With that in mind, signing Geno will cost much more than extending Carlos.  But, signing Geno to an extension boosts the morale of the team, and encourages others to sign to remain on the team with him.

So, to summarize.  All in on Geno.  Offer a fair deal for production to Carlos.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
This is where Belichick doesn't resign either, saves the cap money and trades them both mid-year for draft picks.

He then signs a Center, Tackle and LB in FA.

Trades some draft picks for another Tackle.

Takes his other 12 draft picks and outdrafts everyone from the 31 hole.
Reply/Quote
I’ll be surprised if either one signs an extension, and I doubt we get both back next season. You’ve got to think being top 5-10 at your position, you want something more than just playing for a team that’s hoping to go 8-8.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2018, 10:59 AM)Benton Wrote: I’ll be surprised if either one signs an extension, and I doubt we get both back next season. You’ve got to think being top 5-10 at your position, you want something more than just playing for a team that’s hoping to go 8-8.

Like getting the entirety of your (very large) contract? That'll be a pretty big  ThumbsUp
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2018, 10:59 AM)Benton Wrote: I’ll be surprised if either one signs an extension, and I doubt we get both back next season. You’ve got to think being top 5-10 at your position, you want something more than just playing for a team that’s hoping to go 8-8.

Only problem with th9is theory is that history proves it is 100% incorrect.  Over the years most of the big name players for the Bengals have signed extensions to stay here.
Reply/Quote

I think Geno would be the most likely to stay, seeing how he hates speaking to media. 

(02-14-2018, 12:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Only problem with th9is theory is that history proves it is 100% incorrect.  Over the years most of the big name players for the Bengals have signed extensions to stay here.

Most of those extensions came while we were winning. Johnathan Joseph, Justin Smith and TJ Houshmandzadeh all left after losing years.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
And most came with a year left on their contract..... They are far better extending players, then keeping them once they are free.

If either reaches free agency......... Goodbye to both.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
If we play along with Marvin finally saying they should look at signing players from other teams more, it goes against the status quo. Rather than a flippant comment, I'm playing along in thinking that if they're looking to of course keep core players and sign guys to fill gaps (OL), the way to combat that is cutting players to make the money work.
Reply/Quote