Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Agent Guard to Target: Andrew Norwell
Norwell plays for the Panthers. He was an undrafted player from Ohio State. He grades out on PFF as the #11 Guard in football.

He's from...Cincinnatti, Ohio.

Currently he's making $2.75 million.

Then draft a Center and Tackle and the line is looking much better.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2017, 11:31 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Norwell plays for the Panthers. He was an undrafted player from Ohio State. He grades out on PFF as the #11 Guard in football.

I like it! Mostly because I had a class with him at OSU his final year there. Kept thinking that giant guy in class who’s got some big time plumbers crack should try out for the football team. Then I realized what his name was and put it together that he already was on the team lol
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think he's attainable because he's from Cincy too. Give him $5.5 million a year.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2017, 11:31 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Norwell plays for the Panthers. He was an undrafted player from Ohio State. He grades out on PFF as the #11 Guard in football.

I really think they need to get a quality T via FA or trade.  As we've seen, with spread offenses taking over college football, plug and play rookie T's are extremely hard to come by.  
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2017, 12:50 PM)Whatever Wrote: I really think they need to get a quality T via FA or trade.  As we've seen, with spread offenses taking over college football, plug and play rookie T's are extremely hard to come by.  

Agreed; if the Bengals want to improve they are going to be active in free agency and trade markets.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2017, 12:56 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Agreed; if the Bengals want to improve they are going to be active in free agency and trade markets.

Just being realistic, unless Og or Fisher shows massive improvement, we're looking at 2 T's, a C, and a G to fix the line next year.  I don't see how we can get 1 guy in FA and roll into the draft needing the other 3.  We have to get at least 2, hopefully 3 before the draft.
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals make a trade for offensive line it'll be a Washington Generals-esque trade for someone guaranteed to be almost good enough, but not quite good enough..
I'm convinced that the team ownership sold their souls to be one of the Washington Generals of the league and lousy by design. Just good enough to sell tickets, but never good enough to win in the post season. 
After all, Mikey stands on principals.. He sold his principles long ago. Somewhere in the bowels of PBS in a room full of the corpses of long dead elementary school principals. He stands on principals.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-06-2017, 12:50 PM)Whatever Wrote: I really think they need to get a quality T via FA or trade.  As we've seen, with spread offenses taking over college football, plug and play rookie T's are extremely hard to come by.  

Nate Solder is really the only quality Tackle in FA. Tackle will be a tough position to fill.

The interior offensive line is equally as bad as Tackle. Dalton is getting sacked by lineman untouched.
Reply/Quote

Yep, would be a good addition ...young productive with a nasty streak too which is what we also need on the line.

Also Trai Turner was extended this year I think so there may be a limit to what the Panthers can offer.

Bigger problem is that there always is a Cleveland willing to pay Zeitler'esque money for someone like that...and that is not the Bengals
Reply/Quote

yes, but I think at this point they just need good, quality players upfront regardless....that's if they want the better opportunity to fix it quickly of course rather than draft and develop.

As an aside didn't Boling play some LT at college...anyone know what he was like?  
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2017, 01:40 PM)sonofstat Wrote: yes, but I think at this point they just need good, quality players upfront regardless....that's if they want the better opportunity to fix it quickly of course rather than draft and develop.

As an aside didn't Boling play some LT at college...anyone know what he was like?  

My guess is they address the line this way:
Note: This isn't what I'd do...but how I think they'll do it:

1 ) Draft a Center in 3rd Round. Start him.
2 ) Ride with Fisher and Ced at Tackles. (They've actually shown slight improvement pass blocking over the year. Not enough to continue starting, but they're cheap.)
3 ) Re-sign Andre Smith
4 ) Sign some 4th/5th Tier Guard to compete with Hopkins.
5 ) Hire a new offensive line coach and cite that he can fix Ced and Fisher.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2017, 01:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: My guess is they address the line this way:
Note: This isn't what I'd do...but how I think they'll do it:

1 ) Draft a Center in 3rd Round. Start him.
2 ) Ride with Fisher and Ced at Tackles. (They've actually shown slight improvement pass blocking over the year. Not enough to continue starting, but they're cheap.)
3 ) Re-sign Andre Smith
4 ) Sign some 4th/5th Tier Guard to compete with Hopkins.
5 ) Hire a new offensive line coach and cite that he can fix Ced and Fisher.

My guess at what they’ll actually do
-Re-sign Blodine and Smith
-Keep rolling with Og/Fisher at both tackle spots
-Draft a G to compete with Hopkins in round 3-4
-Keep PA who will deny the offensive line has any issues and insist Bodine/Og/Fisher are great
-Continually remind us how “well respected” PA is across the league
Reply/Quote
I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but chances are high that Alexander the Great will return next season. He's close, personal friends with Mike Brown. If he is does indeed stay, Ced and Jake were handpicked by him. That means they will keep their positions are starters or rotational players and no competition will be brought in to compete against them. If he does indeed stay, chances are solid that the Bengals make an offer to keep his personal pet project as the starting center.

While we all see the issue (except those who solely blame Dalton), Alexander the Great has to be gone. If he remains a coach in Cincinnati, the OLine will continue to be garbage. To add to that, Mike Brown does not value interior OLineman. So chances are great that the only way we'll be getting help at guard or center is through the draft.
Reply/Quote
Mike brown wont pay a guard. He will have to stwp out if his comfort zone to do th is and hes an old cheap piece of crap. Dont count on it.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2017, 01:15 PM)Whatever Wrote: Just being realistic, unless Og or Fisher shows massive improvement, we're looking at 2 T's, a C, and a G to fix the line next year.  I don't see how we can get 1 guy in FA and roll into the draft needing the other 3.  We have to get at least 2, hopefully 3 before the draft.

Bring Andre Smith back to be the starter at RT, no more rotating with Ced/Fish.
Regarding LT, this team won't find a good one via FA and they clearly won't trade for one either since they had a chance before the deadline and didn't pull the trigger. With that said, this class of OTs looks better than last year's when considering ones to play LT.

Regarding OP, it'd be nice for the Bengals to bring in either a RG or C via FA to reduce the need via draft. Personally, I think C is more important than RG so I'd look to get C in FA and draft RG, but the more frugal option would be to get RG in FA and draft C. Either way, LT, C, and RG all need new faces. I'd say RT too unless Smith is brought back and is designated as the starter there.

After nearly three years of poor performance from Ogbuehi and Fisher, I don't see either of them ever becoming dependable OTs, and we all know my feelings on Bodine. I also think Hopkins is best served as a versatile backup. I'd like to see Westerman given a shot at RG or C before end of this season to see if perhaps one of those four spots can be solidified prior to the offseason.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
He looks like an interesting prospect as he enters free agency next year.  There are a few problems though.  One he would have to want to play here.  Two the Bengals would have to be willing to pay him more than what the Panthers or other teams would offer, so another red flag.  Finally, the Bengals and free agency..  Don't they usually just go after cheap free agency retreads if they do anything at all?   Smirk

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote

Can Norwell play RG, or is he strictly a LG prospect? He's currently the starting LG for Carolina, so I was curious.
If he can play RG, I'm in favor of such a pickup, and I imagine Mike Brown would be too since he'll likely command less $$ than a good C will in FA.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Stefan Wisniewski is another guy I wanted the Bengals to sign to play Center or Guard that would have been a low-cost upgrade.
Reply/Quote
Personally, while I'm in favor of drafting OLmen, especially centers and tackles, I think I would prefer finding a free agent center to start over Bodine and the rookie until the rook is ready.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2017, 12:46 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think he's attainable because he's from Cincy too. Give him $5.5 million a year.

Why would the 11th best guard in pro football sign for only 5.5 million? I think you are severely underestimating the price tag. Didn't Zeitler just get a huge contract?

I am guessing closer to 28 million for 3 years is what it takes to sign him. He is rated as high as Zeitler I do believe.

I would love for us to sign him, but he will not be at the bargain price you suggested in my opinion
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote