Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Freezer Bowl
(04-03-2020, 01:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I watched that game on a feed from a satellite dish.  Back then you could tune in the direct network signal and it would stay with the broadcasters when the network went to commercials.  I remember it being a sloppy game with a lot of fumbles, interceptions, and missed fgs.  Andersons numbers were very modest.  Maybe even less than 150 yards.  But he threw a couple of tds and no picks. in the end it was a blowout.

We had also blown them out in the regular season.  At that time the Chargers were considered one of the best teams in the league.  We had beaten the Bills earlier that year, but it was a very close game and we were at home.  It seemed to me that we were not being considered a serious Super Bowl contender until we blew out the Chargers on the road later in the season.

I remember Merlin Olsen, who was calling the game on tv, saying that the Chargers had no right to gripe about the cold because if they had beaten the Bengals at their home that season that playoff game would have been played in San Diego (and about a 100 degrees warmer).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't remember what the actual air temperature was, just the wind chill. Thing is, the wind never stopped blowing all day. So the wind chill was the temperature.We were cold IN OUR APARTMENT.

And the Bengals OLine came out in short sleeve jerseys. The Chargers lost their shit when they saw that. That was about as much of a show of manhood as you're ever see. Only it was only done to keep Chargers DLine from having anything to grab. And it was Lap's idea.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2020, 11:44 PM)McC Wrote: I don't remember what the actual air temperature was, just the wind chill.  Thing is, the wind never stopped blowing all day.  So the wind chill was the temperature.We were cold IN OUR APARTMENT.

And the Bengals OLine came out in short sleeve jerseys.  The Chargers lost their shit when they saw that.  That was about as much of a show of manhood as you're ever see.  Only it was only done to keep Chargers DLine from having anything to grab.  And it was Lap's idea.

The actual temperature was -9. 
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2020, 11:44 PM)McC Wrote: I don't remember what the actual air temperature was, just the wind chill.  Thing is, the wind never stopped blowing all day.  So the wind chill was the temperature.We were cold IN OUR APARTMENT.

And the Bengals OLine came out in short sleeve jerseys.  The Chargers lost their shit when they saw that.  That was about as much of a show of manhood as you're ever see.  Only it was only done to keep Chargers DLine from having anything to grab.  And it was Lap's idea.

I believe they also Vaselined their arms....
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2020, 11:25 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I believe they also Vaselined their arms....

They did.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2020, 11:06 AM)sandwedge Wrote: The actual temperature was -9. 

Wikipedia has the updated wind chill at -37 the formula in use at the time had the wind chill at -59

It says there was a sustained wind speed of 27 MPH, by either measure just brutal cold.
Reply/Quote
My two brothers went. I said no effing way. Still don’t regret it.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2020, 11:35 PM)BengalRed Wrote: I remember Merlin Olsen, who was calling the game on tv, saying that the Chargers had no right to gripe about the cold because if they had beaten the Bengals at their home that season that playoff game would have been played in San Diego (and about a 100 degrees warmer).

Well it was a big temp change from Miami where they were the week before.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2020, 11:52 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Wikipedia has the updated wind chill at -37 the formula in use at the time had the wind chill at -59

It says there was a sustained wind speed of 27 MPH, by either measure just brutal cold.

Since anyone can update Wikipedia, I suspect that was someone who went to the Ice Bowl.....
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2020, 03:47 PM)TheSweetness Wrote: I was just joking  - being one the 600,000 who were supposedly there. I wasn't even born yet
WhoDey2 I actually was at that game. My ex-wife and I. Had tickets in the red seats, 3rd row from the top. The wind was like nothing anybody had ever felt. Indescribable. We saw a lady take her gloves off to walk down the steep steps and her hand froze to the metal rail. Every time you'd blink, you'd break the ice crystals at the corner of your eyes.

We left at the beginning of the 4th quarter. My ex couldn't take it anymore... Whatever

We had tickets the following week for the AFCCG against Buffalo. The temps were in the upper 60s, almost 70. We wore t-shirts and a sweatshirt under it. What difference!!
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 02:52 PM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2 I actually was at that game. My ex-wife and I. Had tickets in the red seats, 3rd row from the top. The wind was like nothing anybody had ever felt. Indescribable. We saw a lady take her gloves off to walk down the steep steps and her hand froze to the metal rail. Every time you'd blink, you'd break the ice crystals at the corner of your eyes.

We left at the beginning of the 4th quarter. My ex couldn't take it anymore... Whatever

Is that why she's your ex, cuz you made he go to that game?

We were cold in our apartment and I still get reminded of it all these years later like it was my fault. Remember when you made me sit in that freezing apartment and watch that stupid game?

Reply/Quote
Tired of hearing if it was not cold the Chargers would have won most likely... We pounded them 40 to 17 2 months before in the season at their place.. We were the best team in the AFC
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 02:56 PM)McC Wrote: Is that why she's your ex, cuz you made he go to that game?

We were cold in our apartment and I still get reminded of it all these years later like it was my fault.  Remember when you made me sit in that freezing apartment and watch that stupid game?

I think you are on to something. I attended the game with my, now, ex-wife. In addition, we went with my best friend and his, now, ex-wife.

Sounds like a nice research project for someone.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 02:52 PM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2 I actually was at that game. My ex-wife and I. Had tickets in the red seats, 3rd row from the top. The wind was like nothing anybody had ever felt. Indescribable. We saw a lady take her gloves off to walk down the steep steps and her hand froze to the metal rail. Every time you'd blink, you'd break the ice crystals at the corner of your eyes.

We had tickets the following week for the AFCCG against Buffalo. The temps were in the upper 60s, almost 70. We wore t-shirts and a sweatshirt under it. What difference!!

You mean the previous week, right? When I read that I was thinking "didn't we go to the SB after beating the Chargers?" LOL.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 08:39 PM)BengalRed Wrote: You mean the previous week, right? When I read that I was thinking "didn't we go to the SB after beating the Chargers?" LOL.

Was gonna say too; have I been lied to all these years? lol
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 08:39 PM)BengalRed Wrote: You mean the previous week, right? When I read that I was thinking "didn't we go to the SB after beating the Chargers?" LOL.

WhoDey2 Yes, you are correct. I had my weeks mixed up. Good call.... ThumbsUp  

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

Reply/Quote
Just another little nugget from the Freezer Bowl: Do you ever listen to Dan Fouts do Bengal games and hear the utter disdain in his voice for the Bengals??

That's because he still has trouble with his hands when it gets chilly (frostbite). 2. That year was their big chance to get to a Super Bowl. That didn't happen and he's still bitter (pun intended)...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2020, 05:39 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Anderson outplayed Fouts yet Fouts gets to the HOF.
Go figure
One of the best parts of that game to me, all we heard about was the great Dan Fouts, yet we put him in his place. Think that's still why he seems to hate the Bengals as a broadcaster.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 10:42 PM)Bengalsrob Wrote: One of the best parts of that game to me, all we heard about was the great Dan Fouts, yet we put him in his place. Think that's still why he seems to hate the Bengals as a broadcaster.

He doesn't have to worry about the Bengals anymore. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-dan-fouts-cbs-180112892.html
Reply/Quote
I was never at a game in 50 below anything, but I did get caught hitch hiking in a few places where the temperatures dipped well into negative territories.  Let me tell ya..standing on a freeway in subzero temperatures in the wind when a semi comes barreling past at 3-4 feet away is just nowhere near as much fun as it might seem. That's wind you just can't escape from. I made it to Montana in a blizzard once.. Why I'm still alive and able to even mention is is in itself pretty amazing.. LOL I did learn some helpful cold weather survival things along the way back in those days.. Cut holes in your sweaters and long sleeved wear to hook over your thumbs and/or cut up socks to cover your arms, wrists in particular. If you ever have to sleep in a sleeping bag in freezing weather TAKE YOUR SHOES OFF..Otherwise the sweat will freeze on your socks inside your shoes.. Whatever you do, don't just give up and sit down and expect the cold to go away. You'll eventually fall sleep after you go numb and freeze to death.. Keep moving if at all possible.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote