Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Funny fan stories
To kill the time before training camp and get away from the O line talk and how good this team is on paper, I thought I'd have some fun. Share your funny Bengals story. Here's mine.

I became a Bengals fan in 1979 at the age of six. I had just started playing football and as a bigger kid (that was short lived) I played offensive line. I was fascinated watching how Munoz dominated his opponents and I was hooked. I've seen good and bad, but I've stayed a fan for 38 years now.

Since I live in Virginia it is hard to go to a lot of games, but my wife and I make the trip once a year. We've been doing this for ten years. This year we went to the Browns game. We get good seats since we don't go very often. This year it was row 2 right on the goal line.

As halftime approaches, I figure I'll be smart and hit the bathroom before the rush. We head out and you all know what happens. As I'm waiting for my wife I get to watch the Hail Mary on a tv screen instead of right in front of me.

My wife apologizes, but all I can do is laugh and say " This sums up my life as a Bengals fan. Even when something good happens, l still lose in some way."

Sorry for the long post. Share your story if you'd like.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2017, 11:10 AM)car91 Wrote: To kill the time before training camp and get away from the O line talk and how good this team is on paper, I thought I'd have some fun. Share your funny Bengals story. Here's mine.

I became a Bengals fan in 1979 at the age of six. I had just started playing football and as a bigger kid (that was short lived) I played offensive line. I was fascinated watching how Munoz dominated his opponents and I was hooked. I've seen good and bad, but I've stayed a fan for 38 years now.

Since I live in Virginia it is hard to go to a lot of games, but my wife and I make the trip once a year. We've been doing this for ten years. This year we went to the Browns game. We get good seats since we don't go very often. This year it was row 2 right on the goal line.

As halftime approaches, I figure I'll be smart and hit the bathroom before the rush. We head out and you all know what happens. As I'm waiting for my wife I get to watch the Hail Mary on a tv screen instead of right in front of me.

My wife apologizes, but all I can do is laugh and say " This sums up my life as a Bengals fan. Even when something good happens, l still lose in some way."

That's why you keep an empty bottle with you at your seat!!!

Good story, that would have been awesome to see live!
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2017, 11:10 AM)car91 Wrote: To kill the time before training camp and get away from the O line talk and how good this team is on paper, I thought I'd have some fun. Share your funny Bengals story. Here's mine.

Something similar happened to me. I went to the Chiefs game I think two years ago when Tate caught that 58 yard bomb or something like that. Was a great catch that I watched on TV instead of in person. That was a very good game though. 
Reply/Quote
I don't really have any Bengals stories other than telling people I'm a Bengals fan in other cities. I was in a homeless shelter in Arlington TX the game when the Bengals beat the 8-0 Chiefs. Those fools swore that I didn't know anything about football. Heck,  they were all Cowboy fans so of course they knew all there was to know about football so all that week I just kept pissing against the wind and low and behold we won the game..I was even accused of fixing the game..AS IF I had that kind of power living in a shelter..
My all time favorite story is a Reds story..I was a little kid at the time. Mom and dad took my brother and me to a game and top of the 9th Reds were losing to the Dodgers 5-2 and the old folks wanted to beat the traffic and leave early, but my brother and me kept whining about staying to the bitter end. Johnny Bench came up with bases loaded and put the ball over the fence for the walk off win.. 50 years later I still won't let my dad forget that one..
The whole trip back to Dayton was a series of,  "Shut up about it. We know they won!" lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
car91 Wrote:To kill the time before training camp and get away from the O line talk and how good this team is on paper, I thought I'd have some fun. Share your funny Bengals story. Here's mine.

Don't worry you're not alone I did the exact same thing!  Whatever
Reply/Quote
I don't know if this is funny but it's definitely strange.

I was at the Bengals-Bills game in Buffalo back in 2007 (my first Bengal game). Of course, it was a pretty horrific game got Cincy. I remember the group I was with got a little too into the tailgating and got to the stadium late. The second I laid eyes on the field, a Buffalo receiver reeled in a TD pass. My very first time ever laying eyes on a Bengal game and the opposing team scores. Of course.  Whatever The call was reviewed as we looked for our seats, as we made our way down the row and I stood in front of my seat, the call was confirmed: TD Buffalo.

On the ensuing possession, for whatever reason, I stood up before Palmer took the snap. As I stood, Carson completed a TD pass to Houshmandzadeh. Awesome! Later before a kickoff, I stood up again to allow someone to go by me, and our return man (I think it was Glen Holt) brought it back for an easy TD. I think you can see a pattern here... 

Later in the game, I believe it was third down inside the Buffalo 10 yard line. Realizing the pattern myself, I stood. Palmer completed an easy pass to a wide open (I think it was Jeremi Johnson) for a TD. It was unreal...

I made the mistake of standing for a wave when the Bills had the ball, and Marshaun Lynch skipped over two of our diving defenders in the backfield and ran it 60-something yards for a TD. That pretty much sealed the game. I was no longer having fun and out section was getting roudy. I saw 10 fights throughout the stadium that game, 3 of which were right near us. There was garbage flying in my direction, an empty beer cup hit off my shoulder, I was getting insults from white trash Buffalo natives from every direction. We decided to head out early and beat the crowd. 

As we made our way down the stairwell, Chad Johnson got CRUSHED by two Bill defenders. He didn't get up. The buffalo players immediately knelt in prayer on their sideline.. Aw shit. We went back to our seats to watch it unfold. They brought an ambulance out that appeared to have caught fire. Carson was pacing the field like a madman, he seemed distressed. I remember thinking that not only was Chad's career over, but wondered if he'd ever walk again. Once they wheele Chad away on the stretcher, we left. As I looked back at the field one last time before entering the inside of the stadium, Carson threw a game ending pick.

So yeah, every time I was on my feet, something happened. A score, an injury, something significant happened every time. Likely a strange coincidence but still, fun to think about almost 10 years later. 

Oh and one more thing? F*** Buffalo. Horrible city and a horrible fanbase. I honestly had a better time at Pittsburgh. Every fan I encountered there was civil and the trash talk was good natured. In buffalo I was threatened by punks in groups who would NEVER say a thing if it was just me and them. My life was threatened in the parking lot by a toothless fatass. I saw another prick throw beer in a young kids face as he was holding his mother's hand. I was beyond ready to throw some hands in the parking lot but I left without incident (although I did chase this young punk a few feet after he screamed "HEY! The Bengals suck you little fa***t!". Of course he ran right to his entourage of 4 large men. The coward got away, and in retrospect I'm glad he did. I know if I got my hands on him he would have been severely hurt)
Reply/Quote
In 2009 - I was at the Bengal-Steeler game in which I invited several customers too and spent a ton on tickets. There was a lot of beer intake. After the game was over, we were waiting for our chance to make it to the end of the row to the stairs. As the row below us filtered out, my drunk ass decided I was going to step over and down a seat and have easy access. Well, I lost my balance and somehow fell 3 rows down and landed on my ass. Serious ass punch by the arm of the seat I landed on. I bounced up like nothing happened (with many people looking at me). I was trying to walk to the stairs in a cool like fashion. However, the pain of the ass punch had me walking like a pirate with a wooden leg. Pain worked itself out by the time I made it to ground level, but my pride was still in the upper deck.

Reply/Quote
(06-16-2017, 07:26 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: In 2009 - I was at the Bengal-Steeler game in which I invited several customers too and spent a ton on tickets. There was a lot of beer intake. After the game was over, we were waiting for our chance to make it to the end of the row to the stairs. As the row below us filtered out, my drunk ass decided I was going to step over and down a seat and have easy access. Well, I lost my balance and somehow fell 3 rows down and landed on my ass. Serious ass punch by the arm of the seat I landed on. I bounced up like nothing happened (with many people looking at me). I was trying to walk to the stairs in a cool like fashion. However, the pain of the ass punch had me walking like a pirate with a wooden leg. Pain worked itself out by the time I made it to ground level, but my pride was still in the upper deck.

I have been enjoying your posts lately, this is hilarious. I think we've all had a moment like that where we try to pretend nothing happened but you summed it up perfectly by saying your pride was still in the upper deck.  Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2017, 08:57 AM)rezolve11 Wrote: I have been enjoying your posts lately, this is hilarious. I think we've all had a moment like that where we try to pretend nothing happened but you summed it up perfectly by saying your pride was still in the upper deck.  Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

When you spent the last 30yrs intoxicated, there tends to be several OMG moments.

Reply/Quote
(06-14-2017, 01:24 PM)grampahol Wrote: I don't really have any Bengals stories other than telling people I'm a Bengals fan in other cities. I was in a homeless shelter in Arlington TX the game when the Bengals beat the 8-0 Chiefs. Those fools swore that I didn't know anything about football. Heck,  they were all Cowboy fans so of course they knew all there was to know about football so all that week I just kept pissing against the wind and low and behold we won the game..I was even accused of fixing the game..AS IF I had that kind of power living in a shelter..
My all time favorite story is a Reds story..I was a little kid at the time. Mom and dad took my brother and me to a game and top of the 9th Reds were losing to the Dodgers 5-2 and the old folks wanted to beat the traffic and leave early, but my brother and me kept whining about staying to the bitter end. Johnny Bench came up with bases loaded and put the ball over the fence for the walk off win.. 50 years later I still won't let my dad forget that one..
The whole trip back to Dayton was a series of,  "Shut up about it. We know they won!" lol
Yes, I left that game early too. +^$*@~$%. Actually that was the last Reds game I attended.
Reply/Quote
Went to a Reds game with boss once. He wanted to tailgate. Lol, so he sets up a grill in parking lot and starts a tiny little propane grill about the size of a serving plate. I was like WTF? First, it's baseball and second, your little grill is barely big enough to cook a hotdog. Embarrassing as heck! Dude evidently has never been to Longworth Hall!

Reply/Quote
(06-14-2017, 11:10 AM)car91 Wrote: As halftime approaches, I figure I'll be smart and hit the bathroom before the rush. We head out and you all know what happens. As I'm waiting for my wife I get to watch the Hail Mary on a tv screen instead of right in front of me.

I remember it well.  The Bengals got the ball back with a minute or so left.  I stood up to head out for halftime and the guy in the row behind me good-naturedly asks me where I'm going.  So I say "C'mon, man, it's Marvin Lewis.  Andy's taking a knee." I was in the men's room when the stadium erupted.  ***** Marvin Lewis being aggressive Gaah
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2017, 01:24 PM)grampahol Wrote: I don't really have any Bengals stories other than telling people I'm a Bengals fan in other cities. I was in a homeless shelter in Arlington TX the game when the Bengals beat the 8-0 Chiefs. Those fools swore that I didn't know anything about football. Heck,  they were all Cowboy fans so of course they knew all there was to know about football so all that week I just kept pissing against the wind and low and behold we won the game..I was even accused of fixing the game..AS IF I had that kind of power living in a shelter..

This is not BS and potenitally unbelievable, but I think I was at the same game and my Father did the same thing.  THE SAME GAME.  It had to have been around 1977?

My whole family thanks my dad for that one because they know why I will NEVER LEAVE A GAME EARLY.  

My funny story, or at least ironic one, is that I bought three Bengal's season's tickets the year I graduated college.  PSLs, that is, for the new stadium.  Before a car, house, etc.  I bought tickets.  My father bought one, at my urging, but I paid his PSL.  

I went to almost every game, but as my oldest started playing select soccer, I would give tickets to friends or family so I wouldn't miss her games if on a Sunday.  Sometimes, we just went a little late.

Regardless, during one of the Bengal suckfest seasons, I missed a game and gave the tickets to my wife's cousins.  They live in Springfield, and had never been to a game.  The two oldest boys (now in their 20s and married) went with their dads.  

What game was it?  

Corey Dillon breaking off the then NFL-record 286 yards against the Broncos.

I was actually pretty happy that those kids got to go.  They will forever be fans and I was happy that I got to give them an experience they never would forget.  

Kind of ironic, though.  
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2017, 10:40 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is not BS and potenitally unbelievable, but I think I was at the same game and my Father did the same thing.  THE SAME GAME.  It had to have been around 1977?

My whole family thanks my dad for that one because they know why I will NEVER LEAVE A GAME EARLY.  

My funny story, or at least ironic one, is that I bought three Bengal's season's tickets the year I graduated college.  PSLs, that is, for the new stadium.  Before a car, house, etc.  I bought tickets.  My father bought one, at my urging, but I paid his PSL.  

I went to almost every game, but as my oldest started playing select soccer, I would give tickets to friends or family so I wouldn't miss her games if on a Sunday.  Sometimes, we just went a little late.

Regardless, during one of the Bengal suckfest seasons, I missed a game and gave the tickets to my wife's cousins.  They live in Springfield, and had never been to a game.  The two oldest boys (now in their 20s and married) went with their dads.  

What game was it?  

Corey Dillon breaking off the then NFL-record 286 yards against the Broncos.

I was actually pretty happy that those kids got to go.  They will forever be fans and I was happy that I got to give them an experience they never would forget.  

Kind of ironic, though.  

1980. My parents had gotten divorced in '76 and me, my sister and my dad moved back here (from Washington state). So, in 1980, my mom comes here to visit and takes me to a Reds game...against the Dodgers. 

Bottom of the 8th, bases loaded and Bench comes up. Reds were behind but i seem to recall it was a close game. Grand slam. 

I was there in right field, green seats. I remember that was one really hot day. 

I think this is the game you guys are talking about. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I remember hearing the radio call as we were already back in the car. I was happy they won, but I was steamed at my Father.
Reply/Quote
I flew in from Germany in 2009 to catch the Bengals vs Broncos Game..

Truth be told this was not a well played game by either team but the Bengals D was harassing Kyle Orton all day long and I was thiking "man they could be a good team this year"

Well as we all know, the Brandon Stokely catch happened in this game and it was flat out eerie how quiet that stadium got when that happened.

When the game was over I kept running into Denver fans and they all were like "We completely lucked out !"  and a lot of them exchanged handshakes and well wished for the season.

Made me respect that fan base a lot more and to this day I still kind of have a hard time believing that I was there to actually see that game..

Who-Dey!
Reply/Quote
On a side note..I've seen a lot of Reds baseball games ..

As I teenager I was able to go to Riverfront Stadium and see Eric Davis play.

FOLKS I AM TELLING YOU,,

Watching him in batting practice wasn't like anything I've ever seen in my life !

He would hit rocket shots that would land in the yellow seats with regularity.

The sound of the ball coming off his bat wasnt' like any that I've ever heard.
Reply/Quote
Here's the box score from the game I think you guys are talking about:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN198008080.shtml

August 8th, 1980. I was in my mama's belly for that one.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I have a totally different opinion about some of our fan base. Sometimes we suck! On the game mentioned above where I got ass punched, two of my customers were from Pittsburgh. As we walked out of the stadium there was a lot of harassment and vulgar in your face comments made towards them. It was the first and only time I was ashamed to be a fan. However, even though they were drunk and obnoxious, they only represented .0001% of our fan base. The fans in our section were very cool ( I got acquainted with them after seeing them so often) and they were very respectful. There was several fights that day in the stands before the game even started, I was a tad nervous something like that could happen. But everyone was real cool until we were exiting.  Yet I've heard several stories of fans dumping beer on or picking on opposing team fans at PBS. Byt like every team, we all have the minority of fans who become douchebags after a few beverages.

Reply/Quote
I've only been to a handful of Bengals and Reds games, and can't think of any funny stories. My first Bengals game was 2003 in Marvin's first game against the Ravens. Chad and Rudi both had long TD's I believe, but I was pretty hammered so I don't remember much besides arguing with my bi-polar ex.

Overall though, I think the funniest moment I've had was watching Bengals vs Lions in 2013 at my friend Mark's house, with my Wife (a Lion's fan). It was a pretty epic back-and-forth, and when the Lions tied it on a 50 yard Calvin Johnson catch, my Wife was talking mass smack. Then the Bengals won it with a FG as time expired to give me bragging rights for 4 years. For the rest of that day, I kept looking over at her and yelling "IT'S GOOOOD!" while making the FG sign.

[Image: field-goal-its-up-and-its-good.jpg]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote