Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Future of our Center Position
What is the future of the Center position?

I believe that Bodine is a free agent after this season? Do we keep him? (Before you say No...how do we replace him?)

We also drafted a developmental guy in the late rounds...but he had some injury issues and I don't think he'd be starting quality in a Year...

Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
If he improves to be a reliable starter at the center position, resign him...

If not... find a free agent center or draft one.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
The best center arguably is a free agent: Weston Richburg...

Also Corey Linsey, Eric Wood, and also Joe Berger.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
Weakest position on team in my opinion given that Og has only had one year playing.

Mike Brown is not going to pay guards or centers. End of story. He may be somewhat justified on guards but he is wrong on centers.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 11:27 AM)bengals67 Wrote: Weakest position on team in my opinion given that Og has only had one year playing.

Mike Brown is not going to pay guards or centers. End of story. He may be somewhat justified on guards but he is wrong on centers.

And that's the dig...we now have 3 2nd Round RB's on the team...but if the Center can't run block...it's hard to run the ball inside.
Reply/Quote
Bodine was able to come in Day 1 and start. I think the Bengals should be able to draft a player next year who can come in and do the same (possibly even better).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Offseason not over yet... Still another Center could be added
Reply/Quote
If he makes the same improvement from 15-16 going from 16-17 you keep him.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 12:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bodine was able to come in Day 1 and start. I think the Bengals should be able to draft a player next year who can come in and do the same (possibly even better).

Next year...we can possibly use a 1st or 2nd Round pick on a Center too if one warrants it.

While it's hard to project needs: C, possibly OT, possibly LB depending on how free agency goes, and possibly TE depending on Eifert seem to be our needs. Maybe DE too.
Reply/Quote
I'm not as down on Bodine as most are. There are definately better centers in the league. Hoping that he gets better this year.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 12:24 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I'm not as down on Bodine as most are. There are definately better centers in the league. Hoping that he gets better this year.

If you took all of the starting Centers in the league and ranked them...he'd be a bottom 5-7 starting Center.

Is that bad? Maybe not if you have dominant guys at other spots on the line.

Last season, we had 2 Weak Links at LT and C and it was enough to derail our season.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 12:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: If you took all of the starting Centers in the league and ranked them...he'd be a bottom 5-7 starting Center.

Is that bad? Maybe not if you have dominant guys at other spots on the line.

Last season, we had 2 Weak Links at LT and C and it was enough to derail our season.

2 seasons ago he was the worst. Let's see what kind of strides he can make in this year before making a decision on his future. If he jumps another 5-7 slots and is around an average starting center if we could get him cheap it would be a good move.
Reply/Quote
In 10+ yard runs up the center we had 7 which ranked 24th.
We had 15 negative yardage plays which was 19th best in the NFL. (Average)

In 10+ yard runs to the right we had 15 which ranked 24th.
We had 3 negative yardage plays which was 29th best in the NFL. (Really good)

In 10+ yard runs to the left we had 18 which ranked 15th.
We had 18 negative yardage plays which ranked 8th. (Bad)
Reply/Quote
I think they'll look for someone on practice squads to pick up and kick the tires. But most likely, it's Bodine going forward as we haven't drafted a replacement.

Marvin tends to push linemen in slow. Bodine was an exception based on need (Cook's injury degraded his playing). I'd think f he wanted someone to replace Bodine, they're already on the roster. I know some have commented maybe Westerman, but I think they really like him at guard.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 12:18 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Offseason not over yet... Still another Center could be added

Wishful thinking . Good point though

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 12:41 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: In 10+ yard runs up the center we had 7 which ranked 24th.
We had 15 negative yardage plays which was 19th best in the NFL. (Average)

In 10+ yard runs to the right we had 15 which ranked 24th.
We had 3 negative yardage plays which was 29th best in the NFL. (Really good)

In 10+ yard runs to the left we had 18 which ranked 15th.
We had 18 negative yardage plays which ranked 8th. (Bad)

Interesting that you chose that specific stat.

Many people consider runs over 10 yards to be credited more to RBs than O-linemen.

Here are the Fooballoutsiders O-line rankings (based on "adjusted line yards") for the Bengals.

left outside ....30th
left tackle.......11th
middle............6th
right tackle.....11th
Right outside..28th

But those numbers take on a whole new meaning when you realize that a majority of all NFL runs (56%) are in the "middle" category.

Overall Footballoutsiders ranked our o-line right in the middle of the pack in run blocking.  They were 14th in Adjusted Line Yards, 15th in Stuffs, and 19th in Power Situations.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol
Reply/Quote
Bodine is their guy for 2017. I imagine it's similar to what happened with Clint Boling. Remember that?

Boling struggled early on so the Bengals didn't do an extension with him entering his final season. He played great in 2014 and got a new deal after the season. I see them doing that with Bodine. He hasn't done much from a positive standpoint, but I'm guessing his new deal will be based on this season. If he steps up and becomes the center that we're constantly told he can become, then we'll bring him back. If he plays like he usually does, then I see us looking elsewhere in 2018.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I just keep remembering that the same coach who lobbied for Bodine also lobbied to draft Eric Ghiacuc. Basically this coach has worked with four Centers in his career. One was good (Braham), one was sort of average (Cook), one was one of the worst Centers in NFL history (Ghiacuc) and then there is Bodine, who looks like he is following in Ghiacuc's footsteps.

It seems that overall Piano Man does okay developing Tackles, less well with Guards and just is missing something with regards to Centers. Which of course goes back to Mikey and his refusal to invest in the interior line. I don't like Piano Man but considering that he has had only two high round picks at Guard and none at Center there is a mitigating factor.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 04:20 PM)Joelist Wrote: I just keep remembering that the same coach who lobbied for Bodine also lobbied to draft Eric Ghiacuc. Basically this coach has worked with four Centers in his career. One was good (Braham), one was sort of average (Cook), one was one of the worst Centers in NFL history (Ghiacuc) and then there is Bodine, who looks like he is following in Ghiacuc's footsteps.

It seems that overall Piano Man does okay developing Tackles, less well with Guards and just is missing something with regards to Centers. Which of course goes back to Mikey and his refusal to invest in the interior line. I don't like Piano Man but considering that he has had only two high round picks at Guard and none at Center there is a mitigating factor.

Our guards have been pretty decent too. Most that leave here go on to get decent contracts other places. Really Center seems to be the only position he struggles with.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 04:10 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Bodine is their guy for 2017. I imagine it's similar to what happened with Clint Boling. Remember that?

Boling struggled early on so the Bengals didn't do an extension with him entering his final season. He played great in 2014 and got a new deal after the season. I see them doing that with Bodine. He hasn't done much from a positive standpoint, but I'm guessing his new deal will be based on this season. If he steps up and becomes the center that we're constantly told he can become, then we'll bring him back. If he plays like he usually does, then I see us looking elsewhere in 2018.

this makes the most sense as they have TJ signed for 2 years...  So if they don't get want they like out of Bodine they can draft a Center or trade for one or sign one next year and have TJ at least as a stop gap for practices till new guy is here and ready to go.
Reply/Quote