Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GIVE ME YOUR BENGALS DRAFT GRADES!
I don't know anyone here who claimed that Pollack would have had Og and Bodine playing well. In fact, if you really want to go alt history Pollack would not have lobbied for either of those goobers like Piano Man did and hence neither would have been picked by us.

As to if he fits with Lazor and Marvin, I think the speed with which we went after him showed he fits at least with Lazor. Add in the totally un-bengal like moves this offseason (trading for Glenn, taking a Center in the first round) and its pretty clear there is a different braintrust at work here. And the Pollack system is VERY similar to what Lazor got put in place late last season when he won the coaches fight - and when the OL play suddenly improved.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I give them a C.

I like all the players we got, but I always do. I'm not happy about ignoring the offensive line for yet another year. Glenn and Price are nice, but with how bad our line was last year and with how many picks we had; we should have done more. Last years mistake was trusting what was already on the roster; we are still doing that with the right side of our o-line. We brought in competition at pretty much every spot except Guard and Tackle; two of our biggest needs.

I hope to be proved wrong though.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 05:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Billy Price C Ohio State = A+ - Obviously our biggest area of need and Price is the best run blocking Center with
the biggest upside in the Draft. Just this pick solidifies the interior and now Dalton will have a pocket to step into
and our RB's will have holes to run through. Road grading run blocker and good pass protector all the while being
a great leader. Perfect pick for us, all 3 Centers were gone before our 2nd pick. Could of been a disaster if we
waited like some were calling for us to do.

Jessie Bates III Wake Forest = A - Best ballhawk in the Draft, just what we needed at Safety. Needs to work on
his tackling, only reason this is not an A+ from me and why i wanted us to take him in the 3rd.

Sam Hubbard DE Ohio State = A - Was a 2nd round talent we got in the 3rd for our rotation. Should make MJ
vulnerable. Cannot believe we took two OSU guys. Pretty crazy, love it. Needed another End badly and Hubbard
could be a great one.

Malk Jefferson LB Texas - A+ - Wanted this guy in the 2nd as well, great size and enormous talent. Watched this
guy at Texas and he always impressed me. Was wanting this guy in stripes, surprised he fell this far. Great 3rd
round.

Mark Walton RB Miami - B+ - Only reason i don't have this pick as an A is it was not a need, but the player is a
very good RB that can do it all. Just thought we had other needs to fill. But Walton could of went in the 2nd round
if not for the injury. Could be a future ST's stud for us to replace Peerman and a great backup. But i still like Brian
Hill too, which is why this pick is still not an A in my eyes, first questionable pick.

Devontae Harris CB Illinois State - A - Big rangy, fast CB. Excellent depth with high upside.

Andrew Brown DE/DT Virginia - A+ - Crazy upside and one of the best versatile D-lineman in this Draft, maybe the
best with the highest upside. Could be the steal of the Draft in the 5th round. The more i read up on this guy the
more i like, he could be a JJ Watt type or a Frostee Rucker type, we will see.

Darius Phillips CB Western Michigan - A+ - Would of taken this guy in the 4th round, might be the best returner in
college and is a fine CB to boot. Only reason he fell is the small college, he can do it all, now we are damn deep at
CB and Safety and don't have to bring back Adam and these guys are insurance in case Dennard leaves. Still think
we better give Dennard an extension though.

So, so far an A. Hope to get some crazy talent that fell cause of off the field issues in the 7th and hope we can turn
them around.

Nate crushed this...so I will only add a few sentiments (and let Nate do the heavy lifting  Hilarious)

What could I have done, even with hindsight to improve this draft?  Did we reach at any point? No.  Did we take players that will be character concerns?  No.  (At least not judging on their past)  Did we take athletes or players?  Players.  We didn't take ANY picks based on measurables, but on their game tape and abilities they have demonstrated.  Did we take players that are "maxed out" or are almost every one of these picks what you would call "ascending talents with tremendous upside"?  The latter.

I was puzzled by the RB pick in Rd 5, but they must have had him pretty highly ranked.  Maybe they weren't as high on Brian Hill.  I don't know.  This pick was very curious to me.  

One injury (which has seemingly happened every year) to a RB and this pick will make a ton of sense.  He is a playmaker.  

Overall, I am very pleased with this draft that may not have people running out and buying jerseys like after Green and Dalton were drafted, but each of the first four selections (five, when you include that we essentially got Glenn for the first pick as well as Price) should see significant playing time and will likely offer significant upgrades over previous players.  That is no small feat.
Reply/Quote
I give the draft a B. First two days were B+. Day 3 has me scratching my head. I would have gone Tyrell Crosby, either Hurst or Settle, and Jamarco Jones instead of Walton, Harris, and Brown in Rds 4-5.
Day 3 was a letdown for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 04:34 PM)jason Wrote: I've only heard of two of the guys they've drafted... Therefore I have to give them an F.

Do you even watch football?
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 04:37 PM)lostpoet2 Wrote: D- This is the worst draft in years. We picked up a mediocre center prospect 

Who most of the experts said is the best Center in this years draft...... 
Reply/Quote
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/2018-nfl-draft-instant-grades-for-every-team/ar-AAwtTkQ?ocid=spartanntp&ffid=gz

Quote:CINCINNATI BENGALS | A

I might have changed a couple of these picks, but overall, I see a ton of value up and down this board. Billy Price is exactly what the interior of this offensive line needed, while, Jessie Bates, Sam Hubbard and Malik Jefferson gave the defense a talented playmaker at every level. Mark Walton could be a Gio Bernard replacement, though there were better running back options available. Day 3 was loaded with value like Andrew Brown, Darius Phillips and Auden Tate. Logan Woodside is an intriguing project at quarterback, too. The only things missing were a tight end and a tackle.
Reply/Quote
I think I would have liked another offensive lineman, but I trust the Bengals know what they have. With Redmond/Westerman/ Boling and possibly Trey Hopkins, I'm sure the Bengals feel confident in what we already have. Im still worried about RT. Looks like there will be lots of changes in the secondary.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 06:21 AM)Weazzel80 Wrote: I give them a C.

I like all the players we got, but I always do. I'm not happy about ignoring the offensive line for yet another year. Glenn and Price are nice, but with how bad our line was last year and with how many picks we had; we should have done more. Last years mistake was trusting what was already on the roster; we are still doing that with the right side of our o-line. We brought in competition at pretty much every spot except Guard and Tackle; two of our biggest needs.

they addressed the offensive line......dont forget Christian Westerman, rookie, one of the better guards in college..he got the chance to play at the end of the season last year..lights out super.....jake fisher is a good right tackle when healthy
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 06:21 AM)Weazzel80 Wrote: I give them a C.

I agree 100%. I’m still pissed the Bengals did take another early Guard or Tackle for the right side & I believe this lack of a bold move will haunt & cost the Bengals this year.

Don’t get me wrong though, I really like the Bates, Hubbard, & Jefferson picks. I think they are potentially great players & at areas of need. However if the Bengals would have traded up in the 2nd round & took Hernandez or Daniels I would have popped champagne bottles as that would be filling a greatest need.

All that said I’m really confused on what the Bengals did Day 3 Rounds 4-7 & personally not happy with many of these picks.

Final Grade:
C +
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 10:51 AM)cooper Wrote: they addressed the offensive line......dont forget Christian Westerman, rookie, one of the better guards in college..he got the chance to play at the end of the season last year..lights out super.....jake fisher is a good right tackle when healthy

And, Andy can now just watch his strong side. He no longer has to worry as much about who's crashing in up the middle or from his blind side.
Reply/Quote
I give this draft a B.
There were a few picks I questioned at first, but after looking at the big picture I'm very pleased with it. The roster still has a few question marks at RG, RT, LB, and NT but the talent is on the roster... whether the players play up to that potential is another question.
Reply/Quote
I give it a B. It misses the A mark not for the players they chose, but moreso the players they didn't choose. We really could have used some legitimate competition for RT and perhaps RG (though Westerman and Redmond gave me hope at the end of the year). There were tackles available that we passed to bolster the defense. That's fine, I just hope it doesn't bite us in the ass.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 12:16 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I give it a B. It misses the A mark not for the players they chose, but moreso the players they didn't choose. We really could have used some legitimate competition for RT and perhaps RG (though Westerman and Redmond gave me hope at the end of the year). There were tackles available that we passed to bolster the defense. That's fine, I just hope it doesn't bite us in the ass.

I see your point and agree to a point.  I think it's also important to remember that all 32 teams just added a bunch of new players.  Every year new players push some veterans out of a job, due to being younger and cheaper.  It could be that the Bengals are counting on a veteran Tackle or two, that can still play better than a rookie, being in need of a new home before the season begins.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 12:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I see your point and agree to a point.  I think it's also important to remember that all 32 teams just added a bunch of new players.  Every year new players push some veterans out of a job, due to being younger and cheaper.  It could be that the Bengals are counting on a veteran Tackle or two, that can still play better than a rookie, being in need of a new home before the season begins.

I get confused as many blame the OL woes on PA who was canned. The new guy Pollack was praised, got a new LT and a new center in round 1. Maybe just maybe he feels he can make Fisher, Hart or Cedric into a good RT. As for RG, we have a number of guys competing with experience (and a new line coach) so less of a concern to me. I feel great about center now for the next 10 years, I feel great about LG with Boling and good with LT Glenn.

I think some think we need all pro guys at all 5 OL spots, then all pro backups too and that is part that confuses me and of course our already lack of trust on the new OL coach to coach guys up in 2018.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 07:31 PM)yang Wrote: Oh, so he makes the taller?  Faster?  Smarter?    Why doesn’t he just grab people off the street.   Give me a break.  He can only do so much.  He calls plays, they have to perform.   If was this amazing coach why did Dallas fire him?

Why did Dallas fire Mike Zimmer? Or is he a terrible coach who doesn't have an impact on the players either? 

I'm another person who is just going to say Nate's take is basically my own. Our biggest problem last year was two spots on the offensive line and with our first round draft pick we addressed both. There are no guarantees in the NFL but I believe we've given ourselves a shot to get to the playoffs and further with that move alone. The rest is an investment in the defense and the future. I do hope that our defense starts generating more turnovers under Austin and it seems like some of these picks are geared to do that. 

Oh and we also addressed the need in our punt return game with the DBs we drafted. I'm pretty excited to see how all this shakes out on the field this year and after. And to those giving an F, can you state some of the moves you would have made to make this an A draft?

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 05:43 PM)yang Wrote: That's pathetic.  Fisher is the best and proven he can't handle it.  Ced tried and failed being left handed. Boling is a right guard, lol.  Hart is a castaway and back up fodder.   ugh.   It shows once again how devastating drafting Og and Fisher was to this team.  Damn.  

Although I hear you, but lets not count Ced and Fisher out, just yet.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 05:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Billy Price C Ohio State = A+ - Obviously our biggest area of need and Price is the best run blocking Center with
the biggest upside in the Draft. Just this pick solidifies the interior and now Dalton will have a pocket to step into
and our RB's will have holes to run through. Road grading run blocker and good pass protector all the while being
a great leader. Perfect pick for us, all 3 Centers were gone before our 2nd pick. Could of been a disaster if we
waited like some were calling for us to do.

Jessie Bates III Wake Forest = A - Best ballhawk in the Draft, just what we needed at Safety. Needs to work on
his tackling, only reason this is not an A+ from me and why i wanted us to take him in the 3rd.

Sam Hubbard DE Ohio State = A - Was a 2nd round talent we got in the 3rd for our rotation. Should make MJ
vulnerable. Cannot believe we took two OSU guys. Pretty crazy, love it. Needed another End badly and Hubbard
could be a great one.

Malk Jefferson LB Texas - A+ - Wanted this guy in the 2nd as well, great size and enormous talent. Watched this
guy at Texas and he always impressed me. Was wanting this guy in stripes, surprised he fell this far. Great 3rd
round.

Mark Walton RB Miami - B+ - Only reason i don't have this pick as an A is it was not a need, but the player is a
very good RB that can do it all. Just thought we had other needs to fill. But Walton could of went in the 2nd round
if not for the injury. Could be a future ST's stud for us to replace Peerman and a great backup. But i still like Brian
Hill too, which is why this pick is still not an A in my eyes, first questionable pick.

Devontae Harris CB Illinois State - A - Big rangy, fast CB. Excellent depth with high upside.

Andrew Brown DE/DT Virginia - A+ - Crazy upside and one of the best versatile D-lineman in this Draft, maybe the
best with the highest upside. Could be the steal of the Draft in the 5th round. The more i read up on this guy the
more i like, he could be a JJ Watt type or a Frostee Rucker type, we will see.

Darius Phillips CB Western Michigan - A+ - Would of taken this guy in the 4th round, might be the best returner in
college and is a fine CB to boot. Only reason he fell is the small college, he can do it all, now we are damn deep at
CB and Safety and don't have to bring back Adam and these guys are insurance in case Dennard leaves. Still think
we better give Dennard an extension though.

So, so far an A. Hope to get some crazy talent that fell cause of off the field issues in the 7th and hope we can turn
them around.

Agreed!

Went into the draft needing a C, and retooling the defense.

Like the Price pick.

FS, CB and LB were addressed. The defense just got faster.

Hubbard was projected as late first or early second rounder.

The issue nowadays is information overload, which leads to confusion, and relegates the fans into a game of name recognition.

Bengals will get 4-5 quality starters from this draft.
Reply/Quote
I would have liked more picks in the top 100 than just 4 but we would have had to give up either Geno, Green, or Dalton to do so it was probably not worth it. Felt we got better defensively this week but offensive line is still a major concern. At the end of the day it's a B+ A- kinda of draft.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
B+ solid picks, I would have still liked a tackle but i understand why they did not.. as potential of playing time, this group of rookies could see alot of action on the field and I really think they improved Special Teams with this draft
Reply/Quote