Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GOP embracing taxing the poor in Kentucky
https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/2018/04/02/tax-reform-cigarettes-kentucky-state-budget/474643002/

The nutshell, the GOP-controlled house, senate and governor's office are pushing through a number of consumer tax hikes, along with increasing income taxes for the majority of residents, while decreasing it to top earners (currently those making more than $75,000). Our current model has a graduating income tax where any dollar up to $3,000 gets a 2% tax, up to 5.8% for $8,000 or more. The majority of Kentuckians fall in this 5%-5.8% range.

Republicans pushed the bill through saying it would generate half a billion over the next two years, mostly by raising the tax rate on the poorest and closing loopholes used by middle income earners like insurance costs.

Normally, I lump members of both parties into "they're all bad." But, jeez, taking more money from ome of the poorest people in the country? I'm amazed at how green the Bluegrass has gotten.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Don't worry. This is gonna be the time trickle down will actually work.  ThumbsUp
Hey they can cut some size of government. Let your rep know he needs to cut government.
Don't forget jacking up the cigarette tax and taxing services.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(04-03-2018, 01:55 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Hey they can cut some size of government.   Let your rep know he needs to cut government.

So far, the only thing they (Republicans) have been interested in cutting is one of the few things that actually needs more funding (education).  
(04-03-2018, 10:58 PM)Benton Wrote: So far, the only thing they (Republicans) have been interested in cutting is one of the few things that actually needs more funding (education).  

Just from taking the temperature on this message board I'd say some won't care about it because Republicans are doing it.  
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(04-03-2018, 10:58 PM)Benton Wrote: So far, the only thing they (Republicans) have been interested in cutting is one of the few things that actually needs more funding (education).  

These issues should all be at the state level. Then it forces leaders to be accountable, We need a change over to where the state is more important when it comes to services. Slashing the federal budget and taxes allows states to tax what they need to fund the amount of government the people are willing to pay.
(04-03-2018, 11:27 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: These issues should all be at the state level. Then it forces leaders to be accountable, We need a change over to where the state is more important when it comes to services. Slashing the federal budget and taxes allows states to tax what they need to fund the amount of government the people are willing to pay.

I’m not sure I’m following. This is a state level issue. They’re raising state income taxes, cutting education funding and moving teachers from a pension system to a 401k. This has nothing to do with federal.
(04-04-2018, 12:05 AM)Benton Wrote: I’m not sure I’m following. This is a state level issue. They’re raising state income taxes, cutting education funding and moving teachers from a pension system to a 401k. This has nothing to do with federal.

I think all states should move away from pensions. They are not a sustainable model anymore and the future commitments from them that are hanging out there are financial nuclear bombs for a lot of states.
(04-04-2018, 08:25 AM)Au165 Wrote: I think all states should move away from pensions. They are not a sustainable model anymore and the future commitments from them that are hanging out there are financial nuclear bombs for a lot of states.

It's a mixed bag.

On the one hand, you've got people (teachers, cops, etc) who take difficult jobs with low pay, in part, because of the hope of having a stable life after employment. Part of the low pay (compared to working at a private company) is the idea that your money is going toward your pension. 401k's aren't guaranteed and its conceivable you might have to work several extra years because someone invested your money poorly. 

I don't have an issue with 401k's, but in the instance of public employees, they should get paid more if their retirements are not going to be protected. 
(04-04-2018, 05:43 PM)Benton Wrote: It's a mixed bag.

On the one hand, you've got people (teachers, cops, etc) who take difficult jobs with low pay, in part, because of the hope of having a stable life after employment. Part of the low pay (compared to working at a private company) is the idea that your money is going toward your pension. 401k's aren't guaranteed and its conceivable you might have to work several extra years because someone invested your money poorly. 

I don't have an issue with 401k's, but in the instance of public employees, they should get paid more if their retirements are not going to be protected. 

I don’t know if low pay is the right description. The wife of a customer of mine is a physical ed teacher in a public school and she makes $95,000. Now she’s in her 50s so she’s been there a while, so you factor that in, but you have to imagine the starting salary there is above low.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(04-04-2018, 08:25 AM)Au165 Wrote: I think all states should move away from pensions. They are not a sustainable model anymore and the future commitments from them that are hanging out there are financial nuclear bombs for a lot of states.

State pensions need to go away and force people to take care of their own retirement. Make it tax free
(04-04-2018, 07:14 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I don’t know if low pay is the right description. The wife of a customer of mine is a physical ed teacher in a public school and she makes $95,000. Now she’s in her 50s so she’s been there a while, so you factor that in, but you have to imagine the starting salary there is above low.

TEAcher salary in ky is an open record. It’s beem a couple years since I looked at any, but that’s 2-3 times what teachers in this end of the state make. Hell, most superintendents in this end don’t make that. Not sure where she teaches, but I’m guessing it’s a much bigger state? Or maybe the customer was embellishing?
(04-04-2018, 08:35 PM)Benton Wrote: TEAcher salary in ky is an open record. It’s beem a couple years since I looked at any, but that’s 2-3 times what teachers in this end of the state make. Hell, most superintendents in this end don’t make that. Not sure where she teaches, but I’m guessing it’s a much bigger state? Or maybe the customer was embellishing?

Princeton school district. I don’t think he was. It was kind of a “Its ridiculous but I’ll take it.”

(04-04-2018, 08:43 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Princeton school district. I don’t think he was. It was kind of a “Its ridiculous but I’ll take it.”

Ah, Princeton Ohio?

I’m not familiar with pay rates in that state. In Kentucky, teacher pay is usually under $55,000. There are some exceptions. Superintendents make from $60k(ish) to $200k.

To give you an idea, my sister in law is a national board certified teacher with a masters. After about 17 years, she makes about $43,000. She’s still paying off students loans, and will be for about 2 more years.

She makes roughly a third of what she would for the same education level in the private sector.
(04-04-2018, 11:07 PM)Benton Wrote: Ah, Princeton Ohio?

I’m not familiar with pay rates in that state. In Kentucky, teacher pay is usually under $55,000. There are some exceptions. Superintendents make from $60k(ish) to $200k.

To give you an idea, my sister in law is a national board certified teacher with a masters. After about 17 years, she makes about $43,000. She’s still paying off students loans, and will be for about 2 more years.

She makes roughly a third of what she would for the same education level in the private sector.

But she gets 3 months off in the summer!!   Sarcasm
(04-04-2018, 08:43 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Princeton school district. I don’t think he was.  It was kind of a “Its ridiculous but I’ll take it.”

You from Ohio, Mike?  I am wondering if your 95,000 Phys Ed teacher is an administrator of some sort.

https://www1.salary.com/OH/Public-School-Teacher-salary.html
(04-05-2018, 02:04 AM)Dill Wrote: You from Ohio, Mike?  I am wondering if your 95,000 Phys Ed teacher is an administrator of some sort.

https://www1.salary.com/OH/Public-School-Teacher-salary.html

I'm sure it has something to do with being there close to 30 years as well.  I don't think it's the norm by any means, I was just saying you don't get to 95 by starting at an equivalent of 25 today.

(04-05-2018, 09:05 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I'm sure it has something to do with being there close to 30 years as well.  I don't think it's the norm by any means, I was just saying you don't get to 95 by starting at an equivalent of 25 today.

Many (I couldn't tell you with any certainty) districts in Kentucky have frozen salary increases, outside of 1-2% cost of living raises, or an increase in duties, as the state keeps reducing funding through SEEK to local districts. One district I covered hasn't had a funding increase since KERA was enacted in the 90s.  By law, they can't get any less from the state than they received back in 1991, otherwise they would be getting cut. If I remember correctly, teachers there start at $34k in k-5, and $38k in 6-12th. And if they stayed in that district during the last 15ish years of the freeze, they'd still be making $34k or $38k.
(04-03-2018, 12:24 AM)Benton Wrote: https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/2018/04/02/tax-reform-cigarettes-kentucky-state-budget/474643002/

The nutshell, the GOP-controlled house, senate and governor's office are pushing through a number of consumer tax hikes, along with increasing income taxes for the majority of residents, while decreasing it to top earners (currently those making more than $75,000). Our current model has a graduating income tax where any dollar up to $3,000 gets a 2% tax, up to 5.8% for $8,000 or more. The majority of Kentuckians fall in this 5%-5.8% range.

Republicans pushed the bill through saying it would generate half a billion over the next two years, mostly by raising the tax rate on the poorest and closing loopholes used by middle income earners like insurance costs.

Normally, I lump members of both parties into "they're all bad." But, jeez, taking more money from ome of the poorest people in the country? I'm amazed at how green the Bluegrass has gotten.

I'm right there with ya on the two parties.  That said, the GOP has shown its true colors, and even some of its staunchest supporters are pissed off.  Most of them won't make it through November, at least I hope.

"Better send those refunds..."