Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gabe Jackson Trade
This makes a lot of sense to the team, from contract structure to familiarity with Callahan. They moved Osemele last year for a swap of their 6th for the Jets 5th and if we could pull it off for late Day 3 compensation it would be a great move.
Reply/Quote
The only thing I will point out to be fair is I am not sure what we are doing blocking scheme wise. He came form an outside zone blocking scheme in Oakland, however with us doing a pin and pull variant there is more of a chance he can use more of his power blocking in those pulling situations. I haven't watched a ton of Oakland to know if they were doing that already or not but keep that in mind in terms of fit. His degradation in play last year is supposedly related to the scheme change.
Reply/Quote
Interesting for sure. If they could work out something involving a 3rd day pick or swap of picks, as they did with the Jets, it really becomes an intriguing idea, especially with his ability to play both G spots. His 9.6m cap number may be an issue though, as the Bengals have never paid that much to a guard before. 
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 02:55 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Interesting for sure. If they could work out something involving a 3rd day pick or swap of picks, as they did with the Jets, it really becomes an intriguing idea, especially with his ability to play both G spots. His 9.6m cap number may be an issue though, as the Bengals have never paid that much to a guard before. 

He has no guaranteed money left on his deal so he is cuttable if it doesn't work out. My guess is with no guaranteed money left on his deal he'd be open to restructuring his deal to add more guarantee and in turn take a lower per year cap number.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 03:00 PM)Au165 Wrote: He has no guaranteed money left on his deal so he is cuttable if it doesn't work out. My guess is with no guaranteed money left on his deal he'd be open to restructuring his deal to add more guarantee and in turn take a lower per year cap number.

True, and thinking about it, even if they couldn't restructure, cutting Glenn would cover Jackson's salary this year.
Reply/Quote
Nice, makes sense and at probably our biggest position of need on the team. We get a proven player as well in the NFL
which is what I would want over any Draft pick. Gabe Jackson seems like he would fit in the scheme we ran late last
season with more directional drive blocking instead of that outside zone.

When I have watched Gabe in the past he certainly looks like more of a power blocker.

Complete opposite of Glenn.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 02:42 PM)Au165 Wrote: This makes a lot of sense to the team, from contract structure to familiarity with Callahan. They moved Osemele last year for a swap of their 6th for the Jets 5th and if we could pull it off for late Day 3 compensation it would be a great move.

Have the Raiders made any indication that they might be interested in moving Jackson?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 03:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Have the Raiders made any indication that they might be interested in moving Jackson?

Yep, reports today is they are shopping him. Belief is they are clearing cap between this and Whitehead to potentially make a Brady run.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 03:33 PM)Au165 Wrote: Yep, reports today is they are shopping him. Belief is they are clearing cap between this and Whitehead to potentially make a Brady run.

Thanks for the info.  If that is indeed the case, I think Jackson would be a perfect addition to the Bengals OL.

C'mon Blackburns, it's time to make a deal!

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 07:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Thanks for the info.  If that is indeed the case, I think Jackson would be a perfect addition to the Bengals OL.

C'mon Blackburns, it's time to make a deal!

I wouldn't mind Whitehead either...
Reply/Quote
Gabe Jackson for Carl Lawson. Who says no?
Reply/Quote
It will be interesting to see what Oakland is asking for, Jackson is a pretty good guard. The Bengals would have to trade a pick to acquire him and they only have the standard seven. If we trade Dalton for a 4th maybe that would be enough for Jackson ? We would still have all our original picks and it could ultimately be the Dalton pick for Jackson.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 12:21 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Gabe Jackson for Carl Lawson. Who says no?

ABSOLUTELY not.

No way in hell.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 01:05 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: ABSOLUTELY not.

No way in hell.

I don't know. I think there is a chance Lawson doesn't get an extension with his injury history. Plus, if Hubbard has another big year, he's likely to get extended next off-season. It could be a win-win.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 01:21 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I don't know. I think there is a chance Lawson doesn't get an extension with his injury history. Plus, if Hubbard has another big year, he's likely to get extended next off-season. It could be a win-win.

You can never have enough good pass rushers though.

Our Ts were the bigger weak point than Gs last year (though it all needed work) and Miller is not a bad RG.

I think it is more prudent to hold onto a stud pass rusher (when healthy), then fix the oline with a part that could be drafted (and possibly better, with less ear and tear) instead.

So yeah, big no from me.

Off topic, I hope to GOD Hubbard gets extended on like a 6 year deal, we draft Dunlap's replacement next year (or 2 years from now) and Hubbard mentors the new guy.

Anything to keep the mentality and class the Dunlap/MJ/Peko/Geno years established.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 12:46 PM)lone bengal Wrote: It will be interesting to see what Oakland is asking for,  Jackson is a pretty good guard. The Bengals would have to trade a pick to acquire him and they only have the standard seven. If we trade Dalton for a 4th maybe that would be enough for Jackson ? We would still have all our original picks and it could ultimately be the  Dalton pick for Jackson.

If Brady leaves the Pats have two 3rd rounders and I think we could get one of them for Dalton and trade for Gabe...
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 01:47 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: You can never have enough good pass rushers though.

Our Ts were the bigger weak point than Gs last year (though it all needed work) and Miller is not a bad RG.

I think it is more prudent to hold onto a stud pass rusher (when healthy), then fix the oline with a part that could be drafted (and possibly better, with less ear and tear) instead.

So yeah, big no from me.

Off topic, I hope to GOD Hubbard gets extended on like a 6 year deal, we draft Dunlap's replacement next year (or 2 years from now) and Hubbard mentors the new guy.

Anything to keep the mentality and class the Dunlap/MJ/Peko/Geno years established.

LG was far and away the weakest spot on the OL last year.  Jordan and Price had PFF grades of 43 and 41, respectively.  That's a joke.  While both guys are young, it would take a huge leap for either to get to even serviceable starter level, which is where Miller is at.

They need at least one quality starter at G, but there are better options than giving up draft capital for a middling and overpaid Jackson.  He would be a last resort if they whiff on a G in FA.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 02:50 PM)Whatever Wrote: LG was far and away the weakest spot on the OL last year.  Jordan and Price had PFF grades of 43 and 41, respectively.  That's a joke.  While both guys are young, it would take a huge leap for either to get to even serviceable starter level, which is where Miller is at.

They need at least one quality starter at G, but there are better options than giving up draft capital for a middling and overpaid Jackson.  He would be a last resort if they whiff on a G in FA.

Precisely my point (was going to mention about LG lol).

Jackson isn't an LG anyways (I know, they're supposed to be interchangeable).
Reply/Quote
Bengals don't have any comp picks this year, so I don't expect them to trade away any draft pick(s).
They need improvement at LG though.
And as others have said, Price and Jordan performed so poorly last year that I don't have confidence they will magically be a solid starter this year.
I think they need to bring in someone new to take over LG.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2020, 10:03 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals don't have any comp picks this year, so I don't expect them to trade away any draft pick(s).
They need improvement at LG though.
And as others have said, Price and Jordan performed so poorly last year that I don't have confidence they will magically be a solid starter this year.
I think they need to bring in someone new to take over LG.

I have a lot more faith in Jordan succeeding as he at least showed SOME improvement last year. There's a reason he went in the 4th round. Those lineman usually need more time to develop. The ideal situation would have been him 'redshirting' last year, and Jonah/Cordy/Boling kind of ruined those plans. 
Reply/Quote