Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
added a lb
Oh we playing Bachie Ball now!

What's better than one Joey B? Two Joey B's!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 11:13 AM)Sled21 Wrote: You seriously wanted a Linebacker instead of a tackle when we were trotting Oggie out there, and called LB a position of need? What the heck was tackle, a postion with depth?

Tackle was def a position of need but so was linebacker and I am sick and tired of every time gashing up the middle every Sunday no matter who is at running back.... I wanted Bush I was not a fan of Jonah.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 10:46 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: The bengals have continued to fail to prioritize the linebacker position.... there’s plenty of examples over the years.  Addressing it a bunch of times late in a draft doesn’t mean u prioritize the position.  Markus Bailey due to injury in part fell yes however after the two years what has bailey done. Nothing any other 7th round linebacker would due.  All of these linebackers are all massive question marks going into this season.  
The bengals claim they got their guy in Jonah Williams lol a pick I loathed.  I wanted devin bush a linebacker but because it’s a massive need that’s obvious to anyone and because we can’t keep anything in house the Steelers leap frog right in front of us and grab Bush lol like Detroit did.  Just been a lack of emphasis like the oline for far too long.  Imo

First of all, Bailey hasn't played two years.  Last year was his rookie season and the team thought enough of him to keep him around.  

Second, your response is that you actually wanted Devin Bush over Jonah Williams?  Ok, that we can discuss:  You created a bit of confusion by going right back and complaining about the lack of emphasis on the offensive line (which reminded me of the Jeff Spicoli line:  "Make up your mind dude, is he going to shit or is he going to kill us?") but I digress.  

Devin Bush, surrounded by one of the best defenses in the league had a rookie season PFF rating of 62.9.  His second season, he slipped a bit to 59.7 and missed some time due to injury.  For comparison, Logan Wilson (a 3rd round pick) had a PFF ranking of 54.7 his rookie season with NO OTAs or preseason games, and was playing behind what was probably the worst front in the league (due to injuries).  

Jonah Williams, on the other hand, rated a 70.1 at what would absolutely be considered a premium position.  This, in his rookie season (playing-wise, as he was injured his entire real rookie season) and still a season where he had no preseason games.  

I know PFF is not the be-all, end-all, but if you watched the games, you could see that Bush has his struggles in coverage and that Jonah is a very solid LT.  

If the Bengals had not selected Williams and, say the steeelers didn't move up to get him, the Bengals took Devin Bush in the 2019 draft over Williams, they may have a better LB option than Wilson, but their line would lose its best piece, and the needle is definitely pointing up for Williams.  He just needs to stay healthy.  It is a rather interesting comparison as the steelers have now lost their LT and we will get to see how the do without him.  
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 11:13 AM)Sled21 Wrote: You seriously wanted a Linebacker instead of a tackle when we were trotting Oggie out there, and called LB a position of need? What the heck was tackle, a postion with depth?

Interesting post as it shows the trickle down effect of Ogbuehi and Fisher both being busts.  They probably WOULD have gone LB if both of those guys hit.  At least they have FINALLY taken the measures to overcome those whiffs in both the draft AND FA.  
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 11:22 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Isn't Moses rated about the same as Hart in Pass Protection?

I actually think he was the #6 rated RT in the NFL last season.  And durable as hell.  
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 11:41 AM)pally Wrote: The Saints and Broncos also put in claims.  He must have done something right for the Saints to want to have him back on their roster

Broncos even more legit on defense.  If Rogers ends up there, that team is a real threat.  Their defense is no joke.  
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 08:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: First of all, Bailey hasn't played two years.  Last year was his rookie season and the team thought enough of him to keep him around.  

Second, your response is that you actually wanted Devin Bush over Jonah Williams?  Ok, that we can discuss:  You created a bit of confusion by going right back and complaining about the lack of emphasis on the offensive line (which reminded me of the Jeff Spicoli line:  "Make up your mind dude, is he going to shit or is he going to kill us?") but I digress.  

Devin Bush, surrounded by one of the best defenses in the league had a rookie season PFF rating of 62.9.  His second season, he slipped a bit to 59.7 and missed some time due to injury.  For comparison, Logan Wilson (a 3rd round pick) had a PFF ranking of 54.7 his rookie season with NO OTAs or preseason games, and was playing behind what was probably the worst front in the league (due to injuries).  

Jonah Williams, on the other hand, rated a 70.1 at what would absolutely be considered a premium position.  This, in his rookie season (playing-wise, as he was injured his entire real rookie season) and still a season where he had no preseason games.  

I know PFF is not the be-all, end-all, but if you watched the games, you could see that Bush has his struggles in coverage and that Jonah is a very solid LT.  

If the Bengals had not selected Williams and, say the steeelers didn't move up to get him, the Bengals took Devin Bush in the 2019 draft over Williams, they may have a better LB option than Wilson, but their line would lose its best piece, and the needle is definitely pointing up for Williams.  He just needs to stay healthy.  It is a rather interesting comparison as the steelers have now lost their LT and we will get to see how the do without him.  

If ur gonna argue for them in regards to their approach to the offensive line and claim it’s been properly targeted then I cant speak with you. I wanted Bush way over Jonah not because I don’t think oline wasn’t an issue but because I thought Bush was the better prospect at again a position of need.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 02:16 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: If ur gonna argue for them in regards to their approach to the offensive line and claim it’s been properly targeted then I cant speak with you.  I wanted Bush way over Jonah not because I don’t think oline wasn’t an issue but because I thought Bush was the better prospect at again a position of need.

Very strange post.  Are you claiming that I argued for them in their approach to the offensive line?  Where did I do that?  I will defend that they TRIED to improve the line, and TRIED to prepare for losses like Whit by drafting TWO early tackles.  They were busts.  They drafted a Center in the first round.  Another bust, but to a lesser extent.  They tried to go FA, and traded for Cordy Glenn and swapped picks.  He wasn't a bust, but quickly became a head case.  They let Paul Alexander go and let ZT bring in his guy, who was a tremendous failure.  

It isn't for lack of focus on the line, nor a lack of effort.  

If you think Bush is a better prospect than Williams, that is fine.  The positional value of a LB, especially on this team, compared to that of a LT (again, especially on this team that was devoid of talent at tackle) just isn't close.  

I give you credit, though.  I asked for an example of when the Bengals could have used more early draft capital on a LB, and you gave me Devin Bush over Jonal Williams.  It is a horrible example, but an example nonetheless.  
Reply/Quote
To the OP: Posts about weight should probably be in Klotsch. I’m sorry you’ve added a lb but if you skip dessert it will come right off.
Reply/Quote
While this has veered from the original post, the problem with Jonah is that he has been injury prone so far. No matter how good he is or how high his ceiling is, he's played in less than 1/3rd of the games since he came in the league. If he has another injury causing him to miss significant time again, LT needs to be addressed again.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 10:46 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: The bengals have continued to fail to prioritize the linebacker position.... there’s plenty of examples over the years.  Addressing it a bunch of times late in a draft doesn’t mean u prioritize the position.  Markus Bailey due to injury in part fell yes however after the two years what has bailey done. Nothing any other 7th round linebacker would due.  All of these linebackers are all massive question marks going into this season.  
The bengals claim they got their guy in Jonah Williams lol a pick I loathed.  I wanted devin bush a linebacker but because it’s a massive need that’s obvious to anyone and because we can’t keep anything in house the Steelers leap frog right in front of us and grab Bush lol like Detroit did.  Just been a lack of emphasis like the oline for far too long.  Imo

I wanted Devin White or Bush as well, but the Steelers traded infront of us and nabbed Bush.  I thought Jonah Williams (top OL in a down year for OL) was a great BPA consolation prize with what was left.  Who knows, maybe Bush was the target, but what can you do?
Reply/Quote