Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
Gas Prices Near You?
$5.00 a gallon in this mark-ass-buster state (Illinois)
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2022, 06:29 PM)jason Wrote: I specifically remember you saying this would happen a lil over 2 years ago. My essential ass was driving around paying $1.05 a gallon... Then I read a post from you telling us all to look out for a huge pendulum swing in gas prices.

I still have a receipt from those days where I paid about 40 cents a gallon. 

But working in a refinery (or oil in general) gives you a peak at the writing on the walls. Lost a lot of good, skilled people then that still haven't been replaced just at my refinery. It's even worse at the oil fields.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2022, 07:36 PM)jason Wrote: That's honestly lower than I assumed it would be out there.

(06-02-2022, 07:37 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Your in California too (I think) so you typically have higher prices. Still, that's a lot. 

There's parts of Los Angeles County that are around $8.  I moved back to Orange County a couple of years ago and could not be happier with my decision.  As an aside, I was putting in bids on houses in Silverlake and Eagle Rock, but when it became apparent Gascon would win the DA race I stopped looking in LA entirely.  
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2022, 08:01 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: I still have a receipt from those days where I paid about 40 cents a gallon. 

But working in a refinery (or oil in general) gives you a peak at the writing on the walls. Lost a lot of good, skilled people then that still haven't been replaced just at my refinery. It's even worse at the oil fields.

I remember paying $0.79 a gallon to fill up my Trans Am when I was 17.  These poor kids will never know how good we used to have it.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2022, 08:39 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I remember paying $0.79 a gallon to fill up my Trans Am when I was 17.  These poor kids will never know how good we used to have it.

And I remember my dad bitching about those prices back then.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2022, 08:39 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I remember paying $0.79 a gallon to fill up my Trans Am when I was 17.  These poor kids will never know how good we used to have it.

My brother's senior year (98-99), it was $0.99 a gallon here. 

Pretty ridiculous how bad it's gotten.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2022, 08:59 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: My brother's senior year (98-99), it was $0.99 a gallon here. 

Pretty ridiculous how bad it's gotten.

Damn, we need a Clinton back in office.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Back when Trans Lives Mattered.
Reply/Quote

Man I miss the good old days...but on the other hand, kids today have it way too easy and we had it hard and it made us tough.  Hmm, this is a conundrum.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2022, 09:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Man I miss the good old days...but on the other hand, kids today have it way too easy and we had it hard and it made us tough.  Hmm, this is a conundrum.

I shudder to think that these will one day be considered the good ole days.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2022, 10:52 PM)jason Wrote: I shudder to think that these will one day be considered the good ole days.

If your good days are behind you you need to to less reminiscing and more living.  Also, people are full of shit. 
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2022, 08:50 PM)jason Wrote: And I remember my dad bitching about those prices back then.

Summer of 1977 my Dad took us on a family fishing trip up to Wasilla about 45-50 miles north of Anchorage. As we were getting in the car to go home, my Dad said "Well, take a good look around because I'm never coming back here again."

"BUT . . .W-w-why? This place is awesome. What's the problem?"

"I'll be damned if I pay 75 cents for a gallon of gasoline, again. Bunch of ####ing rip off artists up here."
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
KillerGoose Wrote:For us Americans, 2 euro per liter is $8.09 per gallon. Tough to hear, sorry Arturo.

Aren't they like half electric by now???

Anyways, RANT RANT RANT...

There, always makes a Morning just a bit better, and makes Fridays sublime

PS I work from home, so that makes my rant even worse, since now that kiddo is out of school, i barely drive 2x per week to the local kroger.... and BW3's..
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2022, 09:05 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Aren't they like half electric by now???

Anyways, RANT RANT RANT...

There, always makes a Morning just a bit better, and makes Fridays sublime

PS I work from home, so that makes my rant even worse, since now that kiddo is out of school, i barely drive 2x per week to the local kroger.... and BW3's..

I don't think they are. They do bike a lot, though. A quick Google check says only 1% of cars on the road are electric in Europe, as of 2020. 

I work from home as well. I don't remember the last time I filled up. Two weeks ago, I think? 
Reply/Quote
https://www.aei.org/op-eds/gas-prices-are-through-the-roof-thats-just-how-biden-wants-it/
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2022, 09:20 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: https://www.aei.org/op-eds/gas-prices-are-through-the-roof-thats-just-how-biden-wants-it/

No surprise that a partisan think tank would have an opinion piece like that.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2022, 09:26 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: No surprise that a partisan think tank would have an opinion piece like that.

No surprise you would say that. Same guy who wants to trade for it with bad foreign actors instead of producing it ourselves. 

Europe had the same philosophy. How's that working out ?

Biden & his team have repeatedly advocated for phasing out fossil fuels. There's no denying that. 

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2022, 09:33 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote:  No surprise you would say that. Same guy who wants to trade for it with bad foreign actors instead of producing it ourselves. 

Biden & his team have repeatedly advocated for phasing out fossil fuels. There's no denying that. 

He has not been a friend to the O&G industry certainly, but again, the current prices aren't his doing. He also doesn't want them to be high, it polls poorly for him. He would be in a better situation if they weren't high. I, along with a few others on here have said it several times at this point - if you want to assign blame or praise to a political figure for energy commodity prices, it is a misinformed and lazy talking point. The President simply doesn't have enough power to influence the global market that way. 

I have ran a statistical analysis on crude prices in relation to the political affiliation of the President in the past. The data I had went back to the mid 1980's from current day, and the result was no correlation. Roughly 3% of the variation in crude prices from year to year could be explained by political party. Less than 1% of the variation in % of price change could be explained by political party. 

I also did the same exercise with gas prices back to 1993 and the results were the same - there is no correlation to gas price as it relates to political affiliation. The President doesn't have that kind of power. 
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2022, 09:33 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote:  No surprise you would say that. Same guy who wants to trade for it with bad foreign actors instead of producing it ourselves. 

You don't burn your finite supply of what the world needs before the rest of the world burns their finite supply. That's Power 101.
Reply/Quote
Blaming Biden for everything is just stupid. Biden didnt invade Ukraine. Biden didn't cause the pandemic. Unemployment is now at 3.6 percent. For the first time since Clinton we are on pace to lower the national debt this year. Thats despite having a criminally low tax code for the 1 percenters. My only problem with Biden is he needs to call out republicans for their BS more.
Reply/Quote