Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Geno Stone plans to sign with the Bengals
(03-11-2024, 05:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Surprised he was that cheap for a dude that had 7 interceptions last year and is a good tackler. This guy could really help Dax and Battle 
along with the Corners. If we can bring in a DT and Kendall Fuller our Defense is upgraded by a good amount and we can use Dax where 
he is the most comfortable as a Nickle Safety and a Slot Corner at times and even WILL backer on passing downs so we can get Pratt off
the field. I think if Pratt proved one thing last year, is he is not a 3 down LB.

Pratt def needs to come off the field on 3rd downs IMO.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 05:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: FWIW, Geno Stone may be just a 1-year wonder.
The first 3 years with BAL, he had just 1 INT and 2 PDs across 34 games (8 starts).

I hope he gets a lot of INTs as a Bengal, but I'm not confident he'll be a 5+ INT guy on a consistent basis through his time here.
I'm thinking more in the 2-3 a season range.

The analytics guys will tend to tell you ints aren't really predictable. I think if we got good coverage play, INTS or not, we would be happy here. If he can clean up communication issues and tackle then we are set.
Reply/Quote
Safety’s are cheap
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 05:38 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: People will shit on me for saying this, but that would be an EXTREMELY disappointing outcome for a first-round pick. Drafting a guy, having him fail at safety, and then (possibly) getting one productive year out of him (a slot corner, at that) is not good. That's a bust of a pick. 

I think the Geno Stone signing is good mainly because Goodberry thought he was the best fit before FA so I'll trust that. I am also glad they made an early move because it shows they actually have a plan and are acting on it. 

As far as Dax. I was surprised that he seemed to be the opposite of what I thought as far as his strengths. I thought he would be better in coverage and not as good in the box and it seems to be the opposite.  So I could see him rotating with Battle as well as getting on the field in special lineups. I could also see him rotating with Hilton some if the personnel calls for that. The secondary needed a mix up. Just wish it was a 3 year over a 2 year deal but glad something happened and feels like we should still have plenty of money.
Reply/Quote
Remember they went looking for very specific traits for Safety here. They needed someone with smarts and savvy to get players aligned correctly which was the main reason for all the explosive plays. The INTs are gravy. Stone will be FS here and Battle playing more like a SS. I trust Lou on this as he knows what the underlying causes of the explosive plays were.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 05:52 PM)Joelist Wrote: Remember they went looking for very specific traits for Safety here. They needed someone with smarts and savvy to get players aligned correctly which was the main reason for all the explosive plays. The INTs are gravy. Stone will be FS here and Battle playing more like a SS. I trust Lou on this as he knows what the underlying causes of the explosive plays were.

Right on, Stone likely has intangibles we cannot see just from watching a game. I'm with  you about trusting Duke, Zac, and Lou with this signing.
Reply/Quote
I like the idea in signing the guy who led the league in interceptions.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 05:57 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: I like the idea in signing the guy who led the league in interceptions.

And not handing out big money to do so.

Young with a bunch of INTs and we get him relatively cheap?

Sounds like a savvy move.
Reply/Quote
Feels a lot of the Scott signing last year. Only one year of production. Comes from a very talented defense where he was very insulated. Could be a solid starter or sunk money. Scott was instant sunk money
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 05:35 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Exactly.

Maybe since Hilton is on the last year of his deal and would free up $6.5 mill in cap, they could move on from him and let Hill become the new starting nickel.
That's about the best I can think of for Hill, or they move Hill to SS and demote Battle.

Hill was primarily a nickel CB and SS in college, but he was rangy and fast so the thought was he had the chops to become a single high FS.

No way battle being demoted he is too good in vonns role. Hill is in scotts role now. Bye scott.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 06:01 PM)CottonHill Wrote: Feels a lot of the Scott signing last year. Only one year of production. Comes from a very talented defense where he was very insulated. Could be a solid starter or sunk money. Scott was instant sunk money

I agree with this, unfortunately. Only 1 year of good production, and it was surrounded by elite talent

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 06:03 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I agree with this, unfortunately. Only 1 year of good production, and it was surrounded by elite talent

Trey Hendrickson also fell into this coming out of NO.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 05:46 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Safety’s are cheap

Safeties running backs guards and linebackers are relatively cheap and that’s why when they go in round 1 they are elite top tier almost generational or AtleAst should be.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 06:04 PM)Au165 Wrote: Trey Hendrickson also fell into this coming out of NO.

Sure. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I feel nothing about the signing right now. Im not sure what to expect

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
Just remember here that unlike Nick Scott (who was more a reaction signing to losing Vonn Bell and not well scouted) Stone was sought to fit specific traits - he is here to help fix the communication and alignment issues. Nick Scott was dumb as a rock and Stone's smarts are a strength.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 06:05 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Sure. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I feel nothing about the signing right now. Im not sure what to expect

I feel the same way (nothing). I didn't see Geno Stone on any of the listings of top players or even top safeties, so he wasn't on my radar. (My hope was 4 time, all-pro (2nd team) Justin Simmons, who was a sure thing.) And saying trust Lou doesn't work when I trusted Lou on the Nick Scott signing last year. Hopefully, Stone is on the ascendency and will solidify the Bengals. But the very poor run PFF grade (33) is concerning. Does he not tackle well or get faked out on runs? 
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 06:02 PM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: No way battle being demoted he is too good in vonns role.  Hill is in scotts role now.  Bye scott.

Scott for sure should get cut.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 06:01 PM)CottonHill Wrote: Feels a lot of the Scott signing last year. Only one year of production. Comes from a very talented defense where he was very insulated. Could be a solid starter or sunk money. Scott was instant sunk money

Wasn't Scott a late free agency signing where we basically had to sign him to have a body? At least Stone is a day 1, and I'll assume, proactive signing by Duke and the coaching staff.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 05:40 PM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: ...The Ravens front 7 were fairly nasty, which could only have helped.

Not saying I am against the pick, but more wary...

That is kind of my thought as well.  Its easier to do better in the secondary when you have that much talent in your front 7
Reply/Quote