Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Geno Stone plans to sign with the Bengals
(03-11-2024, 06:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Scott for sure should get cut.

Yes Scott is bye bye.
Reply/Quote
Fair to lean on the trauma of the Scott signing.

However Scott I will say was sold as on the up and up even though he was pushing 28....
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 05:38 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: People will shit on me for saying this, but that would be an EXTREMELY disappointing outcome for a first-round pick. Drafting a guy, having him fail at safety, and then (possibly) getting one productive year out of him (a slot corner, at that) is not good. That's a bust of a pick. 

Yeah, he had high bust potential from the start. I never liked the pick but hoped for the best. I certainly wouldn’t cut a stud like Hilton to give a bust a guaranteed starting job. Keep him as a backup and try to find a role he can contribute in. Then let him walk when his contract is up.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 06:16 PM)Nepa Wrote: I feel the same way (nothing). I didn't see Geno Stone on any of the listings of top players or even top safeties, so he wasn't on my radar. (My hope was 4 time, all-pro (2nd team) Justin Simmons, who was a sure thing.) And saying trust Lou doesn't work when I trusted Lou on the Nick Scott signing last year. Hopefully, Stone is on the ascendency and will solidify the Bengals. But the very poor run PFF grade (33)  is concerning. Does he not tackle well or get faked out on runs? 

I will amend this earlier comment. I now did find Stone on a listing of the top free-agent safeties and 52nd overall. (Justin Simmons wasn't listed, so maybe this list was made earlier). Stone was listed 5th, with these comments:

5. S GENO STONEBALTIMORE RAVENS
2024 Free agency rank: 52

In his first season playing in a full-time role on a defense that deploys three-safety looks as much as any team in the NFL, Stone boasted an 84.9 PFF coverage grade in the regular season that ranked seventh at the position and brought in a position-leading seven interceptions.
The knocks on Stone will be about his lack of deployment in the box or the slot and his poor run defense and tackling, missing 19% of tackle opportunities this season.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2024-nfl-free-agency-rankings-safeties
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 05:42 PM)pulses Wrote: I've been calling that one for a minute glad they made it happen Rock On

Yes you have Pulses, nice call brother. Cool

(03-11-2024, 05:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: FWIW, Geno Stone may be just a 1-year wonder.
The first 3 years with BAL, he had just 1 INT and 2 PDs across 34 games (8 starts).

I hope he gets a lot of INTs as a Bengal, but I'm not confident he'll be a 5+ INT guy on a consistent basis through his time here.
I'm thinking more in the 2-3 a season range.

Could be correct, but I will trust Lou on this one, he has seen a lot of him being in our Division.

(03-11-2024, 05:44 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I don't care if he has zero interceptions as long as we dont give up five 40 yard pass plays a game like last year.  

Damn rights. Well said Weezy.

(03-11-2024, 05:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That's primarily due to his coverage score, which was 84.9 (elite).
He was horrendous against the run (33.1).

Hopefully he doesn't keep up that run defense trend, as the rest of the AFC North is far better in the run game than the Bengals.
Gonna need someone who can defend the run, not just the pass.

Whoa, gives me some pause there alright, cannot be that bad against the run, that already has been our problem.
Reply/Quote
I feel like Stone is like 5th or 6th on my free agent list.

It's a better signing that Scott was.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 06:08 PM)Joelist Wrote: Just remember here that unlike Nick Scott (who was more a reaction signing to losing Vonn Bell and not well scouted) Stone was sought to fit specific traits - he is here to help fix the communication and alignment issues. Nick Scott was dumb as a rock and Stone's smarts are a strength.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I think the early signing more than anything shows that it was a plan that was already in place. I'm glad we got a guy we were targeting.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 06:17 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Wasn't Scott a late free agency signing where we basically had to sign him to have a body? At least Stone is a day 1, and I'll assume, proactive signing by Duke and the coaching staff.

Yes Scott was a reaction to losing both Bates and Bell then having all the other free agents signed to other teams.  They were left with Scott.  Its like a pickup game of dodgeball where all the other kids have been picked and you get the last one there by default.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 06:04 PM)Au165 Wrote: Trey Hendrickson also fell into this coming out of NO.

There is typically more interception variance year to year than sacks. 2022 INT leaders & their 2023 INTs

Justin Simmons: 6 (2022) 3 (2023)
Minkah Fitzpatrick: 6 (2022) 0 (2023)
CJ Garnder Johnson: 6 (2022) 1 (2023)
Riq Woolen: 6 (2022) 2 (2023)
Patrick Peterson: 5 (2022) 2 (2023)
Harrison Smith: 5 (2022) 0 (2023)
Tashaun Gipson: 5 (2022) 1 (2023)
Jaire Alexandrer:  5 (2022) 0 (2023)

Only 1 player had even 50% of their INT from the previous year. 
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 06:34 PM)Lucius Cincinnatus Wrote: There is typically more interception variance year to year than sacks. 2022 INT leaders & their 2023 INTs

Justin Simmons: 6 (2022) 3 (2023)
Minkah Fitzpatrick: 6 (2022) 0 (2023)
CJ Garnder Johnson: 6 (2022) 1 (2023)
Riq Woolen: 6 (2022) 2 (2023)
Patrick Peterson: 5 (2022) 2 (2023)
Harrison Smith: 5 (2022) 0 (2023)
Tashaun Gipson: 5 (2022) 1 (2023)
Jaire Alexandrer:  5 (2022) 0 (2023)

Only 1 player had even 50% of their INT from the previous year. 

Not sure the point here. I was pointing out that Hendrickson was a relatively unproven player when we signed him as he mentioned Scott was and this feels like Scott. I actually mentioned INTs in another thread are a bit of a random thing in analytics. Hendrickson didn't even have big sack numbers when we signed him, it was built around pressures which do interestingly have a better track record of predicting future success. It's actually Stones coverage ability as a whole that should get people excited rather than the INTS.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 05:45 PM)pulses Wrote: Pratt def needs to come off the field on 3rd downs IMO.

For damn sure. The one thing about Dax Hill is coming out some said he tackled like a Linebacker. Why not have him in there as
the WILL backer in those 3rd and long situations instead of Pratt or even Logan? Dax has a lot more length than Hilton which helps
against TE's as well.

(03-11-2024, 05:52 PM)Joelist Wrote: Remember they went looking for very specific traits for Safety here. They needed someone with smarts and savvy to get players aligned correctly which was the main reason for all the explosive plays. The INTs are gravy. Stone will be FS here and Battle playing more like a SS. I trust Lou on this as he knows what the underlying causes of the explosive plays were.

Exactly, communication was our biggest problem on Defense last year from what Lou and the coaches have been saying the Geno 
Stone signing helps in this area.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 06:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: ****

Exactly, communication was our biggest problem on Defense last year from what Lou and the coaches have been saying the Geno 

Does someone have a non-Jungle-Noise-poster source on Stone's strength as a communicator on the field?
Reply/Quote
Don’t see Ston in the box much but he phew lord the shit we are gonna do with Dax, Hilton and Ston should be illegal

Sinxe we trust all 3 in man coverage we don’t have to give away our defensive assignments pre snap. We theoretically should be able to disguise a lot of what we do really well.

I hate to say this but this also adds insurance for if Dax takes a step back and it’s gotta be Battle and Stone until Dax figures it out
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 05:30 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Solid pickup.

Now what to do with Dax Hill...

I think Hill should move to slot.  It is what he does best IMO.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
See nothing to dislike about this signing at all imho.

Feel it's a bargain deal for a versatile player and Bengals are not on the hook for a long contract either for a player that could have a very high ceiling if reached. Although the floor could be average, yet suspect he will be going all out trying to prove himself knowing he will need signed again after next season in FA.

Scott was a RB trying to transition into a Safety and don't think it is a good comparison at all. Not to mention Stone went against Lamar a lot already in practice.

Like it !

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 09:04 PM)Go Cards Wrote: See nothing to dislike about this signing at all imho.  

Feel it's a bargain deal for a versatile player and Bengals are not on the hook for a long contract either for a player that could have a very high ceiling if reached. Although the floor could be average, yet suspect he will be going all out trying to prove himself knowing he will need signed again after next season in FA.

Scott was a RB trying to transition into a Safety and don't think it is a good comparison at all. Not to mention he went against Lamar a lot already in practice.

Like it !

Good points Go Cards. I don't think the Nick Scott comparison is close either and Geno going against Lamar a lot is another good 
thing about this acquisition. Weakening the Ravens while adding a communicator to help out our young Secondary...

Doesn't get much better than that, I just don't like losing Chido to Brian's Titans. Hope we indeed bring in Kendall Fuller at Corner 
who we are supposedly interested in as well as a RT like Trent Brown and a DT like Leonard Williams or Sheldon Rankins.
Reply/Quote
So are we thinking/hoping he takes over for Hill? That would be bad news for Hill and may give us a little more structure and make us fundamentally more sound but it will be at the expense of speed and athleticism. I see it as a marginal upgrade at best. Def nothing to get excited about on day 1. We got worse today.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 09:30 PM)CottonHill Wrote: So are we thinking/hoping he takes over for Hill? That would be bad news for Hill and may give us a little more structure and make us fundamentally more sound but it will be at the expense of speed and athleticism. I see it as a marginal upgrade at best. Def nothing to get excited about on day 1. We got worse today.

I think we gotta take a look at the strengths of these players.

1.  Stone is not very athletic and is not a good tackler.  But he is a great zone safety doing his specific job in his area of responsibility.
2.  Hill seemed to be a pretty good physical glove and tackler in the box at Michigan.  He may not be a good reader in the back end, but I remember his physical clips from college.

This move really allows a true zone free safety to be on the field and to allow Hill to be a DB in the slot up close near the box where his college highlights came from.  He is good in crowded short space.

Like this move.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 06:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: For damn sure. The one thing about Dax Hill is coming out some said he tackled like a Linebacker. Why not have him in there as
the WILL backer in those 3rd and long situations instead of Pratt or even Logan? Dax has a lot more length than Hilton which helps
against TE's as well.

I agree. with Hilton and Hill (hoping and assuming they keep Hilton and have Hill freelancing in the box more), take Pratt off of the board.,
Reply/Quote