Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geoff says Bengals have room to sign unrestricted FA's
The Bengals want to make sure they get a third-round compensatory pick for Kevin Zeitler’s deal in Cleveland and a compensatory fifth for Andrew Whitworth’s deal in Los Angeles. Now with Peko, Burkhead, and Karlos Dansby already signing or about to sign deals worthy of picks, the Bengals have some room to maneuver on the unrestricted market.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/3/14/14926042/bengals-willing-spend-free-agency-recent-departures
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
Grab Mangold to compete and teach.

Reply/Quote
I guess they got a visit from the Cap Space Fairy in the middle of the night and found a few million dollars under their pillow.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 02:23 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Grab Mangold to compete and teach.

I feel the same about Sebastian Vollmer at tackle. In fact, he played both right and left tackle positions for the Patriots and did both jobs equally well.

Can you visualize an offensive line composed of Sebastian Vollmer, Clint Boling, Nick Mangold, Andre Smith, and Jake Fisher?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Fake news!
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Too bad the good ones are already signed. Fine time for them to wake up.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 02:48 PM)jj22 Wrote: Too bad the good ones are already signed. Fine time for them to wake up.

That article was also written before the Smith signing so for all we know they may have been just talking about him...I would love to see Barwin and Minter but don't see it happening. They actually have other interest. Smith went on a visit to the Bills and the Bills didn't even offer him a contract. We gave him 4 million to hopefully stay healthy and play a new position he hasn't played before.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
You're right. They were probably talking about Smith.

Reply/Quote
I hope they confer with Carlos Dunlap before doing anything.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
A lot more players than Carlos expressing concern and proving Marvin and co have lost the locker room.

Reply/Quote
Ravens released Jeremy Zuttah to make cap room.

Wish we would do that with atleast Pacman who is going to be freaking suspended!!!

Reply/Quote
Hey Geoff, they had room when free agency started too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
We got 27 mil right now and if we cut some players wed have even more
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 02:29 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I feel the same about Sebastian Vollmer at tackle.  In fact, he played both right and left tackle positions for the Patriots and did both jobs equally well.

Can you visualize an offensive line composed of Sebastian Vollmer, Clint Boling, Nick Mangold, Andre Smith, and Jake Fisher?

(With the exception of Fisher)... That would have been a great line 2-3 years ago. Now?
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 03:47 PM)Benton Wrote: (With the exception of Fisher)... That would have been a great line 2-3 years ago. Now?

It's a short term solution, designed to track Mangold and Vollmer into the coaching ranks and provide a temporary bulwark against getting Andy Dalton maimed beyond recognition. Add Cedric Ogbuehi in a jumbo package or declare Jake Fisher eligible and the Bengals might have some new wrinkles in an all too predictable offense.
Reply/Quote
lol it's like they pretend they want to go to the restaurants grand opening but they would rather wait out back at closing time to see what they throw away. Mike Brown is a freakin dumpster diver.
Reply/Quote
I think this may have been proposed elsewhere, but I think the correct translation of Hobson's article is: "The Bengals' front office believes that losing Zeitler and Whitworth to free agency will net the team 3rd and 5th round compensatory draft picks. Now that there is an additional exodus of players are leaving a free agents (Peko, Burkhead, Hunt), management believes it can pursue the signing of free agents up to the value of the contracts of the additional exodus."

This is why we saw Andre Smith signed at a contract at a slightly lower salary than Peko's Denver contract. It looks like Burkhead's contract was $3.15MM for one year, which should give the team some flexibility under this self-imposed strategy.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 04:54 PM)lostpoet2 Wrote: I think this may have been proposed elsewhere, but I think the correct translation of Hobson's article is: "The Bengals' front office believes that losing Zeitler and Whitworth to free agency will net the team 3rd and 5th round compensatory draft picks.  Now that there is an additional exodus of players are leaving a free agents (Peko, Burkhead, Hunt), management believes it can pursue the signing of free agents up to the value of the contracts of the additional exodus."

This is why we saw Andre Smith signed at a contract at a slightly lower salary than Peko's Denver contract.  It looks like Burkhead's contract was $3.15MM for one year, which should give the team some flexibility under this self-imposed strategy.

Exactly. You can only net up to 4 comp picks. They will not sign guys that offset the possibility of 4 total for 2018.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 04:54 PM)lostpoet2 Wrote: I think this may have been proposed elsewhere, but I think the correct translation of Hobson's article is: "The Bengals' front office believes that losing Zeitler and Whitworth to free agency will net the team 3rd and 5th round compensatory draft picks. Now that there is an additional exodus of players are leaving a free agents (Peko, Burkhead, Hunt), management believes it can pursue the signing of free agents up to the value of the contracts of the additional exodus."

This is why we saw Andre Smith signed at a contract at a slightly lower salary than Peko's Denver contract. It looks like Burkhead's contract was $3.15MM for one year, which should give the team some flexibility under this self-imposed strategy.

But is there even any guarantee that they will get a 3rd and a 5th. Everyone assumed it would be 2 4th and 2 6th picks this year. I don't like the strategy unless they are already working on trades with those picks then maybe. Just wish they would pick up Mangold already. It would have nothing to do with comps.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 05:03 PM)TKUHL Wrote: But is there even any guarantee that they will get a 3rd and a 5th. Everyone assumed it would be 2 4th and 2 6th picks this year. I don't like the strategy unless they are already working on trades with those picks then maybe. Just wish they would pick up Mangold already. It would have nothing to do with comps.

No guarantee. The formula is secret. Even the teams don't know who exactly how it works. How stupid is that?
Reply/Quote