Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
George Iloka penalty
I haven't seen this discussed yet. That personal foul penalty called on Iloka that ultimately ended in a TD was IMO, ridiculous. There is no way that should have been flagged and my TV (and my wife) sure did hear a lot about it from me. I was livid.

I really believe the league should allow one coaches challenge on a penalty called per game. I understand that hits like that are bang bang plays and in real speed it may be hard to tell. So why not allow a challenge there? It was an awful call that could have been made right immediately. I have no doubt in my mind that would have been reversed if that provision were available. So am I crazy or does this make sense for the league to explore?

Reply/Quote
Only screamed at my TV 3 times.

When AJ scored the first TD.
When AJ stumbled out of bounds when he could have had the HUGE TD (damn AJ that coulda been amazing lol)
When Iloka was called on that BS

Lets face it, if you are a Bengals Safety, you can't hit people. It is ALWAYS a penalty.
Reply/Quote
It can be such a big deal in a game, I don't see why not allow challenges on personal fouls.

The hit in the end zone probably deserved a penalty. The one he was penalized on? Make-up call bullshit.
Reply/Quote
A few years ago that wouldn't have been called. And you cant challenge a personal foul penalty.

That said, he probably should have been called earlier in the endzone for basically same thing which led to a fg. I think it evened out in the end.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 10:06 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Only screamed at my TV 3 times.

When AJ stumbled out of bounds when he could have had the HUGE TD (damn AJ that coulda been amazing lol)

Lets face it, if you are a Bengals Safety, you can't hit people. It is ALWAYS a penalty.

I yelled when the jets timekeeper started screwing us at the end of the half. Did anyone else find it odd when we threw to the sidelines four straight times, caught, player went out of bounds moving forward, yet nearly two minutes ticked off between plays.  That was egregious, not sure how the refs didn't catch that the player caught the ball, went out of bounds at 2:12, then time rolls off and it's the two minute warning.
Reply/Quote
I thought for a second there, the officials were going to pick up the flag.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 10:14 PM)TGISunday Wrote: I yelled when the jets timekeeper started screwing us at the end of the half. Did anyone else find it odd when we threw to the sidelines four straight times, caught, player went out of bounds moving forward, yet nearly two minutes ticked off between plays.  That was egregious, not sure how the refs didn't catch that the player caught the ball, went out of bounds at 2:12, then time rolls off and it's the two minute warning.

My friend and I were discussing that... I was like, did the rules change to college rules or something?... That is how it works in college right?

Every home team tries to get away with that stuff I swear.. not surprised the refs missed it..  
Reply/Quote
No...no more reviews. It sucks but we deal with it. And IMO, they dont turn that penalty over in a review because there was helmet contact
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 10:14 PM)TGISunday Wrote: I yelled when the jets timekeeper started screwing us at the end of the half. Did anyone else find it odd when we threw to the sidelines four straight times, caught, player went out of bounds moving forward, yet nearly two minutes ticked off between plays.  That was egregious, not sure how the refs didn't catch that the player caught the ball, went out of bounds at 2:12, then time rolls off and it's the two minute warning.

Yeah man I noticed that too. No idea what that was all about.

Reply/Quote
I threw a hissy fit....

Game has way too many subjective penalties now.
Reply/Quote
The clock doesn't stop unless it's under 2 min in the first half. This wasn't some sly scheme by the Jets and the NFL isn't out to get the Bengals by not enforcing the rules.
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
That call was pure horseshit, which led to a Jets TD as a result. My question is why wasn't the hit to Jones on the following kickoff called for the same thing?
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 10:06 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Only screamed at my TV 3 times.

Did you see how far up the field Boling was on that play? Big man can move.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 10:33 PM)GodFather Wrote: That call was pure horseshit, which led to a Jets TD as a result. My question is why wasn't the hit to Jones on the following kickoff called for the same thing?

Obviously because Jones wasn't a defenseless receiver. The two plays weren't really similar..
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 10:37 PM)MrRager Wrote: Obviously because Jones wasn't a defenseless receiver. The two plays weren't really similar..

My point is he wasn't defenseless...
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 10:23 PM)MrRager Wrote: The clock doesn't stop unless it's under 2 min in the first half. This wasn't some sly scheme by the Jets and the NFL isn't out to get the Bengals by not enforcing the rules.

When did they change that? I vaguely remember it happening, but thought it was college only for some reason.

Pretty sure the Madden football video game still makes the clock stop when you go out of bounds lol. Probably why the big misconception. (I could be wrong on this)
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 10:36 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Did you see how far up the field Boling was on that play? Big man can move.

Boling and Whitworth are awesome, the screens today were beautiful. DBs must fear that play when it gets set up correctly.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 10:38 PM)GodFather Wrote: My point is he wasn't defenseless...
I'd like to see the play again, but I can't find it. It seemed like, as defined by the NFL, he was clearly a defenseless receiver. I'm not saying the penalty was the right or wrong call, but there was nothing at all wrong with the hit on Jones. 
(09-11-2016, 10:42 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: When did they change that? I vaguely remember it happening, but thought it was college only for some reason.

Pretty sure the Madden football video game still makes the clock stop when you go out of bounds lol. Probably why the big misconception. (I could be wrong on this)

I have no idea. I only looked it up because people were complaining about it in the gameday thread and I figured there was no way the Jets would try something THAT egregious. Maybe they would run and extra second or two after the play stopped, but not just keep it running multiple plays in a row. I also didn't think the refs would allow it to happen so easily. Turns out everything was alright.  
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 10:50 PM)MrRager Wrote: I'd like to see the play again, but I can't find it. It seemed like, as defined by the NFL, he was clearly a defenseless receiver. I'm not saying the penalty was the right or wrong call, but there was nothing at all wrong with the hit on Jones. 

Exactly, theres was also nothing wrong with the Ilona hit. If you find it and watch it again you'll think flag football is around the corner if that hit warranted a flag.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 10:50 PM)MrRager Wrote: I'd like to see the play again, but I can't find it. It seemed like, as defined by the NFL, he was clearly a defenseless receiver. I'm not saying the penalty was the right or wrong call, but there was nothing at all wrong with the hit on Jones. 

I could be wrong about this but I don't remember them saying anything about a defenseless receiver on that particular play. If I remember correctly they said it was due to a "hit to the head and neck area". After watching cam newton get drilled in the head all night with no calls, I have no idea how they can justify making a call like that. 

In the end it doesn't matter though, I was more curious about what people thought of the league eventually allowing challenges on penalties like that. Only getting one a game would be better than nothing.

Reply/Quote