Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Getting Close To Browns Game
Bengals taste a whooping and piece it together for week 2 against Baltimore
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 08:10 PM)Whacked Wrote: *Negative Nancy alert*

I’m 50/50 on this one - at best.

Compared to last year; Bengals remained about the same “overall”; while the Browns improved.

Also concerned about:
1. Burrow potentially playing week one <100%
2. Burrow being a tiny bit “off” d/t being away from the rest of his O.
*Especially his Receivers, no enough time/reps to gel.
3. Still not convinced the OL is any better
*Still have nightmares from last year’s Halloween game
4. Playing at Cleveland
5. Hill/Scott < Bates/Bell

Cue the homers ….

Probably all valid concerns. I'm worried about the defense and I really think they will take a step back this year now how much of a step and how long that will last I'm not sure. But I definitely expect Cleveland to be able to score points. I'm also with you on expecting our offense taking some time to get going. I just hope we are able to get it going. Hopefully we can avoid the turnovers we had last year week 1. 

On the oline I do think they will be improved over last year. But the Browns are going to give them a very big test and I hope they can hold up. If we have another week 1 game where we let Burrow get sacked several times and hit another several times I think we will need to start getting them some reps in the preseason in the future.
Reply/Quote
I don't get the negativity, we lost Bates Bell and apple.... All mediocre at best, even though I'm sad Bell left us. Bates just absolutely fleeced the falcons, dude is going to be a free agent again very soon.
Reply/Quote
This is why a good run game would have been nice. Something they could lean on to ease Burrow back.

I don’t want to see them come out throwing. Burrow getting sacked his first drop back, because no one feared a run. Only way we win is if we can run the ball.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 04:21 PM)kevin Wrote: Bengals have not did well against The Browns last few years.  They have beaten Bengals with good old fashioned Smash Mouth Football, and Browns QBs and WR's have also  looked like Mahomes and Chiefs against Bengals on wide open long bomb passes.

I would not bet a dime on this game. I root for my Bengals always, but this is a rough AFC NORTH Rival Game and The Battle For Ohio.  I root for Bengals, but Browns and Browns Fans could be celebrating after this one.  

If Burrow can play and not looking more injured than healthy, Bengals could win.  I have no confidence in Bengals back-up QBs and if they play. Bengals could get smoked.  With Burrow Bengals have a chance to win a tough Division Rival Game, without Burrow it will be all Browns with Dawg Pound celebrating.

Hoping all goes well and Bengals win.  Bengals could use the win.  I have seen Bengals schedule and NFL did Bengals no favors.  Bengals have one of the hardest schedule of teams they have ever had.  Bengals will take a few losses, I just hope first game of season isn't one as last year was opening with Steelers.  It's hard to start off with losses and have to play catch up.  Hoping Burrow is ready to go, and I feel like I am saying that at start of every Burrow season.  With Burrow, Bengals are a Super Bowl type team, and with the backups they never score and are losers.

I have a few games I will wager on Week One, but Bengals at Browns I wouldn't touch because Browns last few years have pounded on the Bengals. Browns have looked a million times better against Bengals than any team Browns play.  They must really get up for Battle of Ohio, like Ohio State vs Michigan. Browns who can be flat some game are always fired up for Bengals.

Still, Go Bengals

Tiger

The last two years the offense and defense have struggled in the losses, though throw out end of year loss in 2021..  If Watson shows his form Texan days, we could be in for a long day up in Cleveland
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 10:02 PM)jj22 Wrote: This is why a good run game would have been nice. Something they could lean on to ease Burrow back.

I don’t want to see them come out throwing. Burrow getting sacked his first drop back, because no one feared a run.  Only way we win is if we can run the ball.

I like balance so if we are able to open some holes and avg say 4.5 yards a carry, it should open up the passing game some... Cleveland last two years has done a good job on Burrow especially in our losses.. 250 yards avg, 2 tds and 3 ints
Reply/Quote
One thing that worries me is that Lou
Has no idea what kind of offense Stefanski will
Come out with in 2 weeks.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 10:02 PM)jj22 Wrote: This is why a good run game would have been nice. Something they could lean on to ease Burrow back.

I don’t want to see them come out throwing. Burrow getting sacked his first drop back, because no one feared a run.  Only way we win is if we can run the ball.

Agree 100%. In this pass happy league now a solid run game is still the equalizer. Just keeps the D guessing instead of just pinning their ears back and blitzing JB. Takes a lot of pressure off him. And I hope he doesn't have to scramble much for yards when nobody is open.

Every game on the schedule is a tough challenge. Zac said he wouldn't have it any other way.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 11:29 PM)impactplaya Wrote: One thing that worries me is that Lou
Has no idea what kind of offense Stefanski will
Come out with in 2 weeks.

Stefanski is on the hot seat this season, so I expect him to just throw the kitchen sink at everyone early in the season in an attempt to stack wins and reduce the heat on himself. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote

Mixon having a 100 yard game would help.  Bengals normally win if they have an RB with 100 yards of rushing yards. 

Again, I hope Burrow looks healthy in his week of practice and is able to help our Bengals win.  I haven't seen a Bengals back-up QB start and have a good game in a lot of years. However if Burrow is still gimpy and limping around in practice, then he isn't healthy yet, and you can't risk losing a Super Bowl type QB for the season or a career that way. 

I agree jj22.  No matter who starts for Bengals at QB, Bengals will need a good run game.   Cleveland is back to old time Cleveland football of tough Defense and using a stable of running backs to run the ball up a teams rear end, but watch out for their passing game also.  One of Taylors worst coached games was in 2021 night game with Browns where Taylor went pass happy and no power runs. So Bengals were trying to play touch football or flag football, and Browns clobbered them with Tackle football as they laid on the hits.  The good news was Taylor learned from this game, and in games after went more to run plays as Bengals went to Super Bowl.  So whoever is Bengals QB, don't get pass happy, mix in the run.  Let the moon pies on O Line fire off and run block the Browns at least half of the time Bengals have the ball. 

If Burrow back from injury plays, he will need help from a solid running game.  If the back-up QB's play, they will be in dire need of a solid running game.  I agree with you jj22.  Run The Ball.  If Mixon rushes for 100 yards, the Bengals stand a good chance of winning. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 04:21 PM)kevin Wrote: Bengals have not did well against The Browns last few years.  They have beaten Bengals with good old fashioned Smash Mouth Football, and Browns QBs and WR's have also  looked like Mahomes and Chiefs against Bengals on wide open long bomb passes.

I would not bet a dime on this game. I root for my Bengals always, but this is a rough AFC NORTH Rival Game and The Battle For Ohio.  I root for Bengals, but Browns and Browns Fans could be celebrating after this one.  

If Burrow can play and not looking more injured than healthy, Bengals could win.  I have no confidence in Bengals back-up QBs and if they play. Bengals could get smoked.  With Burrow Bengals have a chance to win a tough Division Rival Game, without Burrow it will be all Browns with Dawg Pound celebrating.

Hoping all goes well and Bengals win.  Bengals could use the win.  I have seen Bengals schedule and NFL did Bengals no favors.  Bengals have one of the hardest schedule of teams they have ever had.  Bengals will take a few losses, I just hope first game of season isn't one as last year was opening with Steelers.  It's hard to start off with losses and have to play catch up.  Hoping Burrow is ready to go, and I feel like I am saying that at start of every Burrow season.  With Burrow, Bengals are a Super Bowl type team, and with the backups they never score and are losers.

I have a few games I will wager on Week One, but Bengals at Browns I wouldn't touch because Browns last few years have pounded on the Bengals. Browns have looked a million times better against Bengals than any team Browns play.  They must really get up for Battle of Ohio, like Ohio State vs Michigan. Browns who can be flat some game are always fired up for Bengals.

Still, Go Bengals

Tiger

The English language is officially dead.  Ninja
Reply/Quote

You can guarantee the first drive is going to be heavy run and ball out of Burrow's hands in under 2 seconds scripted pass plays. No way they let him stand in the pocket. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I don't like that the Browns really targeted defensive line as a need this off-season because the last couple years outside of Garrett and Clowney they haven't had anything and it's killed their defense.They brought in Zadarius Smith, Ogbo Okoronkwo, Dalvin Tomplinson, Shelby Harris, and drafted Siaki Ika.

I do wish the Bengals weren't opening against the Browns though because while they have a good starting lineup I don't think they have the depth.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 06:52 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Njoke is a beast TE, he concerns me as our new safeties have a tough assignment week one. I think Watson will use his legs more in 2023 than he did last year. The Browns have a lot of weapons on both sides of the ball (Chubb and Garrett are also beasts).

I look forward to a close and hard fight game.

lets not forget they added Za'darius Smith opposite Garrett which will be a test for Jonah+ Gotta stop Chubb!
As for Burrow: I cant stop thinking how rusty we was VS Pitt in opener due to no playing ( 4 picks) . I hope he comes out sharper and if that happens its a hard fought W I think for Bengals. 
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 11:35 AM)kalibengal Wrote: lets not forget they added Za'darius Smith opposite Garrett which will be a test for Jonah+ Gotta stop Chubb!
As for Burrow: I cant stop thinking how rusty we was VS Pitt in opener due to no playing ( 4 picks) . I hope he comes out sharper and if that happens its a hard fought W I think for Bengals. 

Huge difference between your QB having surgery on his core and a sprained ankle....
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 10:36 AM)Synric Wrote: I don't like that the Browns really targeted defensive line as a need this off-season because the last couple years outside of Garrett and Clowney they haven't had anything and it's killed their defense.They brought in Zadarius Smith, Ogbo Okoronkwo, Dalvin Tomplinson, Shelby Harris, and drafted Siaki Ika.

I do wish the Bengals weren't opening against the Browns though because while they have a good starting lineup I don't think they have the depth.

They can't afford to bring Garrett back after this season
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 08:10 AM)Sled21 Wrote: The English language is officially dead.  Ninja

Have you ever had a dream that, that you, um, you had, you'll, you would, you could, you do, you would you want you, you could do some, you... You'll do, you could you, you want, you want him to do you so much

Mellow 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
The line moved a point when Burrow practiced yesterday. At this point, isn't Watson just a poor man's Patrick Mahomes? Keep him in the pocket and force him to dink and dunk.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 12:09 PM)Sled21 Wrote: They can't afford to bring Garrett back after this season

They'll bring him back. Baltimore is still signing players to big contracts. So is KC. The Bengals are the only ones who struggle to work with/around the CAP.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
It's good that the Bengals get to go into the Browns game with their defense fully healthy, specifically Reader and Hubbard.
Browns also seem to defend the Bengals well.

Looking at the losses to the Browns in the Burrow era, here was the offense and defense each loss:

Oct 31, 2022:
Offense - 229 total yards gained (36 rush yards)
Defense - 440 total yards allowed (172 rush yards)

Nov 11, 2021:
Offense - 348 total yards gained (85 rush yards)
Defense - 361 total yards allowed (153 rush yards)

Jan 9, 2021 (mostly backups playing in this one):
Offense - 182 total yards gained (79 rush yards)
Defense - 376 total yards allowed (205 rush yards)

Sept 17, 2020:
Offense - 353 total yards gained (68 rush yards)
Defense - 434 total yards allowed (215 rush yards)

Oct 25, 2020:
Offense - 468 total yards gained (81 rush yards)
Defense - 398 total yards gained (82 rush yards)

Rushing offense has been terrible against the Browns in those 5 losses, and the rushing defense has been primarily terrible as well. 150+ rush yards allowed in 4 of the 5 losses.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote