Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Getting Close To Browns Game
The matchup with the Browns will be similar to the first Steelers game last year. As long as we don’t turn the ball over we should be good. I don’t think the Browns or anybody can run on us. We were essentially 4th best run defense. I don’t know Cleveland can beat us throwing. But the spread is 2.5 and at the Browns but we are a good road team. Same old same old. So goes our OL will determine this game. But one thing not touched on by many is the continuity of the OL. Sure Jonah is at RT and Orlando is new but he’s a very heady player and vet. This OL will be the story of the season. Our screen passing game and screens to Mixon and Irv are going to give teams fits. Our run game won’t dramatically improve but we are going to be able to get the tougher yards over the left side easier as Brown and Volson can move piles.

Are we rusty the first game like we’ve been? Probably
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 11:45 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Why were they able to stop Chubb the second game when they couldnt do it the first game?  #98

Oh yeah. Remember also that game we beat them 23-10 without Tee, Tyler or Hurst. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2023, 12:27 AM)Joelist Wrote: Oh yeah. Remember also that game we beat them 23-10 without Tee, Tyler or Hurst. 

The Browns are much improved this year - on O & D.

As are the Stoolers and Rat Turds.

Bengals are about the same “overall” (better in some areas and weaker in others).

I think we split the series with all 3 teams.

They have easier schedules though.

Any of the 4 teams can will the AFC-N this year.

Just keeping it real.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 04:43 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I honestly think running that to Sample would work.  They would never suspect him as a target.  Tendency breaker.  
In theory, it COULD work. But Sample will trip over his other left foot and only gain 3-5. Still a positive gain I guess!
Reply/Quote
I'm really hoping the Defense makes Cleveland regret their prepaid QB purchase.. 35-0 by half time with 3 pick6s and 2 fumble TD returns.. Asking for too much? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2023, 12:35 PM)grampahol Wrote: I'm really hoping the Defense makes Cleveland regret their prepaid QB purchase.. 35-0 by half time with 3 pick6s and 2 fumble TD returns.. Asking for too much? 

It could happen.  I'm not sure the Browns should regret anything, seeing how the expansion Browns have started something like 35 QBs and only Watson has been an expensive all-in style QB.  They've had 25 years of throwing crap against the wall to find their "who knew this kid would be good?" Tom Brady-style QB.
Reply/Quote
For those saying the Browns improved, remember that defensively they brought in Zadarius Smith and a couple of depth pieces while losing Clowney. Arguably their pass rush improved a bit because Smith is better than Clowney at this stage in their careers. So they are better but to me not as much as some think.

Also we improved more than some think. Not just OBJr at LT and Jonah to RT which improves the line a good bit but also we got a big injection of speed on both sides of the ball. Irv Smith is a playmaker when healthy and I expect us to rotate Chase Brown and our rookie WRs in on some plays - we should see them being far more able to punish teams for being in a 2 high shell. Defensively we did lose Bates and Bell but we also picked up a bunch of speed in the secondary and Murphy even at this point improves the rotation.

So while I expect us to be a bit rusty and maybe not completely in sync I do like our chances.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2023, 10:33 AM)Whacked Wrote: The Browns are much improved this year - on O & D.

As are the Stoolers and Rat Turds.

Bengals are about the same “overall” (better in some areas and weaker in others).

I think we split the series with all 3 teams.

They have easier schedules though.

Any of the 4 teams can will the AFC-N this year.

Just keeping it real.

How so? They added basically no one on the offensive side of the ball. The defense had some improvements with their safeties and Smith but nothing else that significant. They didn't have a 1st or 2nd round pick so who knows what the draft picks will do.
Reply/Quote
Advantages:

QB: Bengals (if the old Watson shows up, ouch)
RB: Browns (big time)
WR’s: Bengals
O-Line: Browns (big time)
Pass-Rush: Browns
Run-Stuffers-Bengals
D-Backs-Bengals (but Hill and Scott make me very nervous)
FG Kicker-Bengals (big time)
Home Field Advantage: Browns

I think this game comes down to 3 things
1. If Watson shows up back in Houston-form (problem!)
2. Our O-Line vs Garrett
*If JB gets sacked a bunch, we also need to worry about his calf
3. No pre-season action RUST for the Bengals O

I hate to be that guy but I think Watson shows up (and even exposes Dax and Scott), our O-Line gets humiliated by Garrett and the Stains pull this one off 24-13.
Reply/Quote
Browns game is gonna be annoying. Stefanski always plays us well and i think it’s cause he’s figured out Zac a small amount. It’s also helped that we haven’t had a run game so idk how the game is gonna go.

Hoping we can end those slow starts. If for whatever reason we come out in midseason form i could see a 21+ point win. We are the better team and no Browns CB can guard Tee or Chase
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2023, 07:05 PM)Whacked Wrote: Advantages:

QB: Bengals (if the old Watson shows up, ouch)
RB: Browns (big time)
WR’s: Bengals
O-Line: Browns (big time)
Pass-Rush: Browns
Run-Stuffers-Bengals
D-Backs-Bengals (but Hill and Scott make me very nervous)
FG Kicker-Bengals (big time)
Home Field Advantage: Browns

I think this game comes down to 3 things
1. If Watson shows up back in Houston-form (problem!)
2. Our O-Line vs Garrett
*If JB gets sacked a bunch, we also need to worry about his calf
3. No pre-season action RUST for the Bengals O

I hate to be that guy but I think Watson shows up (and even exposes Dax and Scott), our O-Line gets humiliated by Garrett and the Stains pull this one off 24-13.
Not saying predicting a loss is crazy but no way we only score 13 points. I can see 2 TDS in the first quarter
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2023, 07:19 PM)Housh Wrote: Browns game is gonna be annoying. Stefanski always plays us well and i think it’s cause he’s figured out Zac a small amount. It’s also helped that we haven’t had a run game so idk how the game is gonna go.

Hoping we can end those slow starts. If for whatever reason we come out in midseason form i could see a 21+ point win. We are the better team and no Browns CB can guard Tee or Chase

Denzel Ward is a pretty solid CB but I heard he may be out for our game due to another concussion in their 3rd preseason game. 
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2023, 07:21 PM)Housh Wrote: Not saying predicting a loss is crazy but no way we only score 13 points. I can see 2 TDS in the first quarter

Hold on now. The last 4 games we've averaged 17 points against the Browns. They always play is tough and they have a great defense. I think we pull it out and I think we score more points, but let's temper the expectations a little bit. The Browns have a good defense and run game, with that combination makes even the best offenses score less points.
Reply/Quote
http://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/38277322
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
The Browns seem to be "improved" every year for the last 2 decades. Not sure why they're such media darlings.

I hope someone murders Watson.

Division games are always tough, no matter how good/bad each team is.
Reply/Quote
Yes division games are tough. But acting like we stood in place this offseason is just not correct. We got a major quality injection on the OL with Brown, and the shift his signing enabled puts the line into a far better place. And there are even matchups that favor us, such as our interior OL versus their interior DL and our EDGE players against their OTs. If we can get any push inside on defense Watson will be forced to run a lot. And with the big injection of speed on D we are better equipped to handle running QBs.

I would assume that, especially with Reader playing, we will play on D to stop Chubb and make Watson beat us. When we are on offense this will be our first chance to really see if the players we added (Irv Smith, Chuck Sizzle, Chase Brown, etc.) will allow us to punish the Browns D if they do what we expect and sit in two high.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 10:55 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: why do you think we win easy with Watson throwing the ball ?? i think you are underestimating a Watson as a QB.. he will be much improved from last year, maybe not to his top 5 QB play in Houston.. I think Watson is going to have the clip on his shoulder, with how he played last year. I predict he will be formable next week.

Because Watson hasn't been good throwing the ball for like 3 years, that is why and Nick Chubb is an elite RB, that is why.

They also have a great OL and their running game with Chubb has given us troubles in the past. When a QB throws a lot, a lot 
more bad can happen than good and I like our secondary and LB's in coverage and Trey and Sam are good Edge rushers.

(09-01-2023, 11:22 PM)jason Wrote: Preseason football hurts my eyes, so I've all but stopped watching it... Even our games. From what I've been hearing Watson hasn't looked good in practice or their pretend games. I've always had a healthy respect for his game, and I'm not writing him off cause he may be a bad guy like many are doing. It's just that it's coming up on 3 years since we've seen vintage Watson.

Jason said it. I know Watson had a few good to great years in Houston, but that was a long time ago in NFL time.

(09-01-2023, 11:27 PM)jason Wrote: Let Irv swerve...

If he stays healthy we could have a damn good weapon here, maybe even better than Hurst.

(09-01-2023, 11:45 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Why were they able to stop Chubb the second game when they couldnt do it the first game?  #98

Wink
Reply/Quote
The first game of the year, especially after a preseason with little starters playing time, is like a box of chocolates.

I am hoping for caramel.

I do expect..... hope.. the offensive line plays better than we have seen in years.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 04:43 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I honestly think running that to Sample would work.  They would never suspect him as a target.  Tendency breaker.  

Great point, I agree!
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 07:42 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Big time. You hear it once or twice, then everyone is saying it and it's like it's not possible for Chase or Higgins to get open "because they're doubled". 

The doulbe team is only effective if the receivers aren't moving pre-snap and if the Oline breaks down and doesn't give the QB time to read the field. We all know how the line has been the last couple years (esp in the playoffs).

Makes sense!
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote