Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Getting Close To Browns Game
I think this game could go 2 ways. If the Stains want to run it with Chubb I think this will make it a close game that
goes down to the wire. But if they want to do what they say and go to more of a passing Offense with Watson I think
we win going away. Reader is healthy so we can probably slow Chubb down even if they want to run it though.

I think we start out slow on Offense regardless with Burrow and the O-line needing reps. The Defense should keep us
in it and Garrett will get his going against Jonah. In the end it just will go down to which team executes the best and
overall I think we have the edge with Burrow and our roster as a whole. Tough first game that is for sure, but Burrow
knows that the Stains have had our number since he has been here and he will go into this one with a chip on his
shoulder and wanting to shift the Battle of Ohio back in our favor.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 05:19 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I hope we really try and get the RBs involved in the passing game. With slants or coming out of the backfield and across the formation. Make a LB cover them on the move and don't just have go to a spot and stand there.

Agreed.  This is my really only remaining issue with the Taylor/Callahan offense.  That and a lousy screen game.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 04:07 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Agreed.  This is my really only remaining issue with the Taylor/Callahan offense.  That and a lousy screen game.  

Let's see some of those middle TE screens to Irv Smith Jr that are a 10-15 yard gimmie play... Wink
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 05:08 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think every team the Bengals face will try to do what KC did against them:  Double Tee and Ja'Marr and take your chances elsewhere.

I think the Bengals realize this, so they upgraded depth at WR (Jones, Iosivas), added a pass-catching TE threat (Smith, Jr.), and have been getting more of the RBs involved in the passing game as well.  

Combine this with what is likely the best offensive line since Joe joined the team (Not saying much, I know, but it should be a pretty solid unit) and you have a pretty high-powered offense.  

I know that Garrett could singlehandedly ruin a game, but I really think Joe with a bit more time and getting to some concepts they couldn't in the past due to some very weak links on the line could be huge.

I don't worry about the defense at all.  Secondary hasn't been together long.  So what?  Hill is a playmaker and they have more speed there this season.  

Browns will be full of optimism for week 1, but I think the Bengals are better on both sides of the ball.

If Justin Jefferson is finding openings, while being the only legit target last year, then Tee and Jamar should be able to find those same openings along with having Boyd as a capable threat! The excuse of Jamar and Tee being double teamed is played out when Justin Jefferson faces the same double and triple teams, yet he still produce..
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 04:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Let's see some of those middle TE screens to Irv Smith Jr that are a 10-15 yard gimmie play... Wink

I honestly think running that to Sample would work.  They would never suspect him as a target.  Tendency breaker.  
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 04:25 PM)mhbsavant Wrote: If Justin Jefferson is finding openings, while being the only legit target last year, then Tee and Jamar should be able to find those same openings along with having Boyd as a capable threat! The excuse of Jamar and Tee being double teamed is played out when Justin Jefferson faces the same double and triple teams, yet he still produce..

Jefferson is a hell of a WR, but you have to realize that he played some real dud defenses in the NFC North.  The Bengals go against the Browns, Rats, and steelers twice a season.  It is a very tough division.  

And that isn't to say Tee and Ja'Marr can't get open, but it just takes the play longer to develop.  They didn't have that kind of time last year.  
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 04:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think this game could go 2 ways. If the Stains want to run it with Chubb I think this will make it a close game that
goes down to the wire. But if they want to do what they say and go to more of a passing Offense with Watson I think
we win going away. Reader is healthy so we can probably slow Chubb down even if they want to run it though.

I think we start out slow on Offense regardless with Burrow and the O-line needing reps. The Defense should keep us
in it and Garrett will get his going against Jonah. In the end it just will go down to which team executes the best and
overall I think we have the edge with Burrow and our roster as a whole. Tough first game that is for sure, but Burrow
knows that the Stains have had our number since he has been here and he will go into this one with a chip on his

I believe I read somewhere that we are going to be RPO heavy this year. That will slow the DEs down some.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 04:25 PM)mhbsavant Wrote: If Justin Jefferson is finding openings, while being the only legit target last year, then Tee and Jamar should be able to find those same openings along with having Boyd as a capable threat! The excuse of Jamar and Tee being double teamed is played out when Justin Jefferson faces the same double and triple teams, yet he still produce..

Big time. You hear it once or twice, then everyone is saying it and it's like it's not possible for Chase or Higgins to get open "because they're doubled". 

The doulbe team is only effective if the receivers aren't moving pre-snap and if the Oline breaks down and doesn't give the QB time to read the field. We all know how the line has been the last couple years (esp in the playoffs).

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 04:43 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I honestly think running that to Sample would work.  They would never suspect him as a target.  Tendency breaker.  

If he's running a route, he'll be suspected. It's just that once the ball is thrown to him, if he catches it, he's not going very far.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I'm full homer on this team until they demonstrate that I shouldn't be. I also think the Browns have one of the most overrated rosters in the league. Bengals by double digits.
Reply/Quote
It always comes down to the Oline.

If he's getting protection, some bitches are gonna get carved up, whether the running game is working or not.

Reply/Quote

Peach! Spot on.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 04:43 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I honestly think running that to Sample would work.  They would never suspect him as a target.  Tendency breaker.  

Eh, we have weapons on the outside that should free up Irv, use him while he is healthy who can actually move and not like 
molasses. Sure, throwing to the molasses dude would be a bit unexpected but also, probably not very effective lol

(09-01-2023, 04:53 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I believe I read somewhere that we are going to be RPO heavy this year. That will slow the DEs down some.

I read that as well, just don't want Burrow to get hurt on some of those RPO's, but he always seems smart when running as 
long as he slides right which has always been his only problem. He might of cleaned that up, but I didn't see Joe sliding too 
much last year as he didn't need to, but when he did, he was better thank God.

(09-01-2023, 07:44 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If he's running a route, he'll be suspected. It's just that once the ball is thrown to him, if he catches it, he's not going very far.

True lol

I like the way Hayden Hurst played for us last year and this year in the PS for the Panthers. Dude catches the ball and makes 
defenders pay for trying to tackle him. Don't like losing him, but completely understand why we didn't pay him what Carolina 
did. Good for him and hope Irv can stay healthy as he has a lot of talent and is hard to tackle himself when healthy.
Reply/Quote
Many people, myself included, wanted Schwartz as DC. The Browns Defense will improve. It’s good to catch them week one before the d settles in.

Burrow has beaten Tennessee and their defense was heavily influenced by Schwartz so he should see some similar traits. But Temessee did play him tough.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Keep in mind that the second game last year the Bengals throttled the Browns, and part of that was they stopped Chubb. They also prevented Garrett from taking over the game - he got a pair of sacks but did not stop the offense from operating. Doesn't mean the Browns are patsies but it does show they are not invincible either.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 03:18 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It's good that the Bengals get to go into the Browns game with their defense fully healthy, specifically Reader and Hubbard.
Browns also seem to defend the Bengals well.

Looking at the losses to the Browns in the Burrow era, here was the offense and defense each loss:

Oct 31, 2022:
Offense - 229 total yards gained (36 rush yards)
Defense - 440 total yards allowed (172 rush yards)

Nov 11, 2021:
Offense - 348 total yards gained (85 rush yards)
Defense - 361 total yards allowed (153 rush yards)

Jan 9, 2021 (mostly backups playing in this one):
Offense - 182 total yards gained (79 rush yards)
Defense - 376 total yards allowed (205 rush yards)

Sept 17, 2020:
Offense - 353 total yards gained (68 rush yards)
Defense - 434 total yards allowed (215 rush yards)

Oct 25, 2020:
Offense - 468 total yards gained (81 rush yards)
Defense - 398 total yards gained (82 rush yards)

Rushing offense has been terrible against the Browns in those 5 losses, and the rushing defense has been primarily terrible as well. 150+ rush yards allowed in 4 of the 5 losses.

outside of one game, I don;t think we have passed over 300 yards either.. bottom line Browns have beaten us on both sides of the ball more often than we have in the Burrow and Taylor era
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 04:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think this game could go 2 ways. If the Stains want to run it with Chubb I think this will make it a close game that

why do you think we win easy with Watson throwing the ball ?? i think you are underestimating a Watson as a QB.. he will be much improved from last year, maybe not to his top 5 QB play in Houston.. I think Watson is going to have the clip on his shoulder, with how he played last year. I predict he will be formable next week.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 10:55 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: why do you think we win easy with Watson throwing the ball ?? i think you are underestimating a Watson as a QB.. he will be much improved from last year, maybe not to his top 5 QB play in Houston.. I think Watson is going to have the clip on his shoulder, with how he played last year. I predict he will be formable next week.

Preseason football hurts my eyes, so I've all but stopped watching it... Even our games. From what I've been hearing Watson hasn't looked good in practice or their pretend games. I've always had a healthy respect for his game, and I'm not writing him off cause he may be a bad guy like many are doing. It's just that it's coming up on 3 years since we've seen vintage Watson.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 04:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Let's see some of those middle TE screens to Irv Smith Jr that are a 10-15 yard gimmie play... Wink

Let Irv swerve...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 10:46 PM)Joelist Wrote: Keep in mind that the second game last year the Bengals throttled the Browns, and part of that was they stopped Chubb...

Why were they able to stop Chubb the second game when they couldnt do it the first game?  #98
Reply/Quote