Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting it off my chest
It is hard for me to say it, but congrats to the Steelers for their win last night.

Unfortunately, I think the whole NFL loses. Not because the Steelers won, of course. I think most reasonable fans from both teams knew going in this would be a close hard-fought game which either side could take. But rather because the conduct of the game, the players and the coaches got so out of control. I shouldn't have to give examples, but I will:

- a player concussed from a helmet on helmet hit and the hitter doing a celebratory dance
- an injured player being booed and having a bottle thrown at him while he is being carted from the field
- a coach pulling a players hair
- a senseless headshot on a receiver
- another coach walking on the field and smacktalking opposing players
- players running off the field with the ball while the game is still going on

And those were just the more egregious activities.

It is pretty easy to single out individuals and cast blame for most of this stuff (Burflict, Shazier, Jones, Porter, Munchak, etc.). And the league will do that on Tuesday. I'm sure we will see a suspension for Burflict, a fine for Porter, and possible fines for others. And that will appease some. But I think this goes beyond individuals. Both sides were in the wrong. One side wasn't "wronger" than the other. This is a culture of 'wrongness'.

Perhaps it is just me and how I was raised. When me and my siblings would fight, we'd point our fingers at each other and say, "But he started it!!!!". My dad would reply, "I don't care. You're both wrong, and I am right." Then, he would proceed to spank us. He was 'right' because he saw the big picture: he didn't want us kids fighting each other all of the time.

But you know what? We were kids. The players and coaches and fans (for the most part) are adults. A higher standard is expected. You are right to expect that standard of those around you. If someone throws a bottle out onto the field, have some backbone to tell them that ain't right. If there is a questionable hit on the field, don't cheer like that was "the greatest hit ever!". If someone is being toted off in a cart with an injury, don't boo them or laugh. In short, set the example even when the players, coaches and other fans aren't setting the example.

I'm probably preaching to the choir here. We generally have good folk on this board. And for those who fall astray, I hope this reminder can help them "turn from the Dark Side".

I love this team. And I'll be cheering for them again next fall. But I am glad that my father, who also loved this team and who passed away last January, didn't see that sorry excuse for a professional sports contest last night. He loved the game more than he loved the team or any individual players.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
You're probably right, but that game was pure entertainment.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 05:14 PM)6andcounting Wrote: You're probably right, but that game was pure entertainment.

Unfortunately, I think the NFL probably agrees with you and will subtly play up the rivalry and feelings of "injustice" while publicly decrying it all. Reminds me of the movie "Slap Shot".
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 05:18 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Unfortunately, I think the NFL probably agrees with you and will subtly play up the rivalry and feelings of "injustice" while publicly decrying it all. Reminds me of the movie "Slap Shot".

Paul Newman stars in Head Shot...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It was really a concerted effort by the Steelers to make it a dirty game. It was as much a part of the game plan as pass routes.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 05:14 PM)6andcounting Wrote: You're probably right, but that game was pure entertainment.

Not really entertaining as much as disgraceful.  Not surprised a Steeler fan would consider it entertaining.  It might as well have been dog fighting.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 08:29 PM)McC Wrote: It was really a concerted effort by the Steelers to make it a dirty game. It was as much a part of the game plan as pass routes.

The Bengals would have won if it wasn't for Burfict's dirty hit. He made it an impressive 59.5 minutes without doing something stupid. I thought he finally turned a corner in playing smart and clean, and that the Steelers would lose because of it. The moron couldn't resist giving the game away. It's funny because the bengals would have literally won if Burfict never returned from the locker room after that INT celebration. LOL
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 08:36 PM)6andcounting Wrote: The Bengals would have won if it wasn't for Burfict's dirty hit. He made it an impressive 59.5 minutes without doing something stupid. I thought he finally turned a corner in playing smart and clean, and that the Steelers would lose because of it. The moron couldn't resist giving the game away. It's funny because the bengals would have literally won if Burfict never returned from the locker room after that INT celebration. LOL

Come on, man.  They goaded Burfict all night.  It had to have been part of their game plan. Tell me you didn't notice that.  And the officials allowed it to happen.  Jesus would have lost it by the end of the game. 

And they lost the game because The Fumbler fumbled.

And one more thing, Change it from entertainment to spectacle(think Roman arena) and I'll agree with you.

I always respected the Steelers as an organization. That went out the window last night. That was appalling. And you know it.

Reply/Quote
Enough is enough.

Rivalry is one thing, but this is getting more heated than anything I've witnessed in sports. I saw the Steelers go right to the tunnel after the game, were there even any congratulations or handshakes? It's just ugly, and too many crucial injuries. Steelers are the walking wounded, and the Bengals wouldn't have been much better.

It's time to bury the hatchet on both sides.
Reply/Quote
Not to be overlooked imho is how the CBS announcing team kept playing up the 'Cincinnati thug' bullshit. Not one word spoken against the Steelers did I hear. How did that even happen?
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 09:17 PM)McC Wrote: Come on, man.  They goaded Burfict all night.  It had to have been part of their game plan. Tell me you didn't notice that.  And the officials allowed it to happen.  Jesus would have lost it by the end of the game. 

The fumble started it all, but at least the defense forced the fumble. those two PF at the end were just boneheaded moves.

Every team is going to bait Burfict because he falls for it and does something stupid every time. The Steelers did do really anything that would get themselves flagged toward burfict though. They were careful enough to not make mental mistakes of their own.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 09:17 PM)McC Wrote: Come on, man.  They goaded Burfict all night.  It had to have been part of their game plan. Tell me you didn't notice that.  And the officials allowed it to happen.  Jesus would have lost it by the end of the game. 

And one more thing,  Change it from entertainment to spectacle(think Roman arena) and I'll agree with you.

I always respected the Steelers as an organization.  That went out the window last night.  That was appalling.  And you know it.

Burfie was goaded?? Aw poor baby.

You're only appalled because the sting of losing to the Steelers again hurts. Be appalled at Marvin, Burfict and your own organization, it's no ones fault but their own they lost.   
Reply/Quote
I think you all are missing the point of the thread. Cut the finger pointing out in here. Keep the smack in Smack Talk.

If you are unable to do that, I can assist.
Reply/Quote
When the game finally ended last night, and I was done explaining why things were done the way they were done, I told my wife that I a happy the Steelers get to move on to the next round, but I don't count that as a win for anyone. Honestly, the refs blew very few calls, as much as everyone is bitching about them. Porter should've been flagged, and the PF on a defenseless receiver early in the game that went against the Bengals, I still believe that the receiver was a runner at that point. What the refs did fail to do, was maintain control of the game. I don't blame them too much for that, though, because that has to be a tough job. Those teams were ready to go at each other from the start.

I think I am most disappointed in the fans. The ones in the stadium throwing things, being violent, and the ones here that joined those in the stadium in calling for and celebrating injuries. Maybe I have never been quite as fervent in my devotion to a sports team, but I can't understand any situation in which that is acceptable. I've chastised friends in the past (when I had friends) when they pulled this. It's just sad for the team, for the city, and for the game of football.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 08:36 PM)6andcounting Wrote: The Bengals would have won if it wasn't for Burfict's dirty hit. He made it an impressive 59.5 minutes without doing something stupid. I thought he finally turned a corner in playing smart and clean, and that the Steelers would lose because of it. The moron couldn't resist giving the game away. It's funny because the bengals would have literally won if Burfict never returned from the locker room after that INT celebration. LOL

I have to say when Burfict ran that INT the wrong way and out of the stadium I was sort of half morbidly hoping he wasn't down and that it was the safety to end all safeties.  I'm a Bengals fan, but I have to say that being able to say you saw THAT kind of loss with your own eyes would have been legendary.

(01-11-2016, 12:24 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I think I am most disappointed in the fans. The ones in the stadium throwing things, being violent, and the ones here that joined those in the stadium in calling for and celebrating injuries. Maybe I have never been quite as fervent in my devotion to a sports team, but I can't understand any situation in which that is acceptable. I've chastised friends in the past (when I had friends) when they pulled this. It's just sad for the team, for the city, and for the game of football.

I have to say that I don't consider myself a classy person, but I like to assume I'd be a little less petty and vindictive if the Bengals had some sort of good-feeling championships to think of when things go wrong.  I'm not saying the only reason you have tact is because the Steelers won, but it would help mellow some Bengals fans out....er, I assume.  It reminds me of that Dylan song "Too Much of Nothing."

Too much of nothing, just makes a fella mean.
Reply/Quote
BelsnickelWhen the game finally ended last night, and I was done explaining why things were done the way they were done, I told my wife that I a happy the Steelers get to move on to the next round, but I don't count that as a win for anyone. Honestly, the refs blew very few calls, as much as everyone is bitching about them. Porter should've been flagged, and the PF on a defenseless receiver early in the game that went against the Bengals, I still believe that the receiver was a runner at that point. What the refs did fail to do, was maintain control of the game. I don't blame them too much for that, though, because that has to be a tough job. Those teams were ready to go at each other from the start.

I think I am most disappointed in the fans. The ones in the stadium throwing things, being violent, and the ones here that joined those in the stadium in calling for and celebrating injuries. Maybe I have never been quite as fervent in my devotion to a sports team, but I can't understand any situation in which that is acceptable. I've chastised friends in the past (when I had friends) when they pulled this. It's just sad for the team, for the city, and for the game of football.

It was the same moron who let it get out of hand from the get go in the last game, and I had zero expectation that they would maintain any control in this game.

Once Shazier blasted Bernard, and they failed to flag it or calm things down, I knew the crowd was going to go berserk.  You had a Steeler defender announce prior to the last game that he intended to hurt one of our players, then do so illegaly and blantantly late after a play.  Then in this game is Shazier's flagrant hit with no foul called on it.  NO fan base is going tolerate that, and in EVERY stadium there will be a restless feeling that it could become a mob.  Especially when it is the same idiot who couldn't control it the prior time.

Remember that the Pittsburgh fan base sent a multitude of death threats and vandalized the home of an official who blew a call in a game that they won, so I'm pretty damn sure that the result would be identical had everything been flipped and in Pitt.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 09:25 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: It was the same moron who let it get out of hand from the get go in the last game, and I had zero expectation that they would maintain any control in this game.

Once Shazier blasted Bernard, and they failed to flag it or calm things down, I knew the crowd was going to go berserk.  You had a Steeler defender announce prior to the last game that he intended to hurt one of our players, then do so illegaly and blantantly late after a play.  Then in this game is Shazier's flagrant hit with no foul called on it.  NO fan base is going tolerate that, and in EVERY stadium there will be a restless feeling that it could become a mob.  Especially when it is the same idiot who couldn't control it the prior time.

Remember that the Pittsburgh fan base sent a multitude of death threats and vandalized the home of an official who blew a call in a game that they won, so I'm pretty damn sure that the result would be identical had everything been flipped and in Pitt.

I don't doubt it would've been the same in other places. Doesn't make it right. This is a game. Maybe not living in an actual NFL market skews my view on this, nut I cannot fathom being so invested in a game that I would wish injury, or death, on anyone. That is ridiculous. It is ridiculous when any fan does it. I am ashamed of those Pittsburgh fans, and I am ashamed of those Bengals fans. Seeing someone wish for the execution of a coach, it is just a despicable thing.
Reply/Quote
http://cin.247sports.com/Bolt/Ryan-Shazier-clears-air-with-Giovani-Bernard--42741984

Shazier apologized to Gio today. Says he wasn't trying to hurt him.

Shazier pretty much has a clean record. I tend to think he is sincere.
Reply/Quote
Man, I should have come to this forum from the start rather than having spent so much time in smack the last few days. The blame game going on over there is ridiculous.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 11:29 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: http://cin.247sports.com/Bolt/Ryan-Shazier-clears-air-with-Giovani-Bernard--42741984

Shazier apologized to Gio today. Says he wasn't trying to hurt him.

Shazier pretty much has a clean record. I tend to think he is sincere.

Sorry, but you are a fool if you believe this crap. He had plenty of time to go to Gio''s side during the game as Gio was down for at least 5 minutes, he didn't because he was too busy celebrating he hurt the man.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote