Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Give me your dark horse and your dud for 2018
dud/Dalton - we will have an improved offensive line n running game but Daltons accuracy flat out sucks and no one to blame but Dalton his year. (Dre is already a dud)

Dark horse - Tyler Boyd. guy is really good whenever he see the field.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2018, 11:17 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: MJ has a lot of seasons under his belt even if he makes the team and repeats what he did last year i don’t see how we can label him a dud when we know what we’re getting from him and have zero expectations

This is based solely on the 2018 season and if MJ takes snaps from younger players at RDE, he will absolutely be a huge candidate for DUD.  He should be a rotational pass-rushing DT.  He actually did pretty well in that role last year.  He is simply useless at RDE.  He does the same wide-arc move and ends up 8 yards upfield nowhere near the play.  He simply doesn't have the speed to be playing RDE in a 4-3 defense when that spot should have an absolute demon coming off the edge. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
stud: Carl Lawson

dud: John Ross
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2018, 09:10 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: That is a great point on Billings, and I think he is just 22 years old right now.  Huge difference from the 20 year old we drafted, and could still turn it on even more as he develops.  I see flashes, but he seems to wear down, so maybe conditioning and his injury was a part of that?  Either way, if Billings shows what we all seem to think he can be this year, with Baker and some young pass rushers, the defense could soar.

I don't know about Vigil.  If I were to start a thread on "team enigma:  who makes no sense", my vote would be Vigil.  I saw him cover TEs beautifully from time to time.  I saw him fly in to make a tackle on a play (for a loss) and he seemed to diagnose the play very quickly.  Then other times, I see him whiff so badly in the open field on a tackle that he wouldn't have even got the guy down in two hand touch.  

Consistency, or lack thereof, is his biggest weakness.  

For sure conditioning was an issue with Billings. This year he can really work unlike last year and i did see a few flashes
from him like i saw all the time at Baylor. He was just getting washed out of plays by the Guards and Centers too much.

Needs to pump the weights, get conditioned and not let O-lineman wash him out of the play then he will become that
great DT next to Geno that i always thought he would be. Great run stopper with deceivingly good pass rush with
abnormal strength. You have to double him and even when teams do he can win, he is that strong when healthy and
like you said is very young still.

(04-08-2018, 09:19 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: You are on a roll, my friend.  

Wilson got a shot late last year and was an impact guy on special teams.  I loved to watch that Houston team when he was there.  That defense had speed to burn and made plays all over the field.  My guy Fej proved to be a capable fill-in as a seventh rounder with minimal experience at coverage safety.  I think Brandon Wilson deserves a shot as the deep safety.  If nothing else, I hope he gets the shot in the preseason and shows that he should at least warrant consideration.  Our safeties never seem to stay healthy. 

And you are dead on with respect to Mixon.  I didn't want to draft him (more for PR than anything) but the kid kept his nose clean and showed flashes of being the guy we saw at Oklahoma.  I think, as you stated, that once he has the new offense installed and better offensive line play, the guy will soar.  I am not a fantasy guy, but I would want Mixon on my fantasy team this year.

Thank you sir. Cool  Agreed about Wilson, he played very good in limited snaps on ST's last year after having that undisclosed
injury. He was a great returner at Houston and a great gunner that knew how to rip the ball out. I truly believe him and your
guy Fej will be our future ST studs.

Mixon is definately the dude to watch this year. The sky is the limit with an improved O-line under Pollack.

(04-08-2018, 09:30 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: You had me high as a kite with your selection (no one else picked him of either side yet!) of Dalton for Dark Horse, but then I was struck by lightening on your pick of WJIII.  

That guy, in his first year on the field, was phenomenal.  You have every right (and history, as you mentioned) to select him, but I think this guy is a legit star and will be in the Pro Bowl this year.  (of course, he won't be able to attend  Cool).

I was thinking about listing both Dalton and WJ3 as darkhorses but i think they are kind of obvious.

Dalton the last time he had even a decent O-line was an MVP candidate, then got hurt. Should have a better O-line than that
one this year once the O-line gels. WJ3 could be the future shutdown Corner of the NFL, he is that talented.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 01:08 AM)Lawless_1 Wrote: I honestly don't know why people sleep on Hill. He was great in college. Vision, speed, power. He is a complete back that got lost in a crowded backfield in Atlanta because he took time to adjust from D2 to the NFL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbONj24BVKc

Nice post on Brian Hill Lawless. Lots of people just didn't know about him playing at Wyoming. He is a complete Back as you
said and i know the Falcons didn't like losing him, they were just loaded at RB. We picked the right team to steal a RB from
that is for sure. The only reason why people sleep on Hill is the backs in front of him and he has good ones in front of him
once again.

But watch this guy tear it up if an injury occurs to either Mixon or Gio.

Dude can ball and we saw it last year against the Lions.
Reply/Quote
Darkhorse - Westerman to start on the OL and making a big difference.

Dud - Our backup QBs

Reply/Quote
I think Carl Lawson and William Jackson III are obvious studs no?? For that reason my darkhorse is Cody Core (me being hopeful) but his rookie season I thought he had big play ability but I could be wrong.

Dud: Not sure I'm always to hopeful I guess. I'll go with Andrew Billings or Dre Kay
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 01:08 AM)Lawless_1 Wrote: I honestly don't know why people sleep on Hill. He was great in college. Vision, speed, power. He is a complete back that got lost in a crowded backfield in Atlanta because he took time to adjust from D2 to the NFL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbONj24BVKc

Wyoming is not D2, it's in the MWC. That's a D1 football conference. It's just not a Power 5.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Oh no, Hobson just gave the kiss of death to my dark horse with an off-season fluff piece on Evans.
Reply/Quote
Darkhorse:  is a tie between Westerman and Lazor.  Westerman will cure some of what ails us up front, and Lazor may not put out the best O in the league, but what I saw him willing to do (see adjust to players' strengths up front) toward the end of last season to make the offense at least serviceable gives me some hope after he gets his offense/schemes and personnel implemented over an entire offseason.

Dud:  Burfict.  The suspension to start, then who knows from there.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2018, 09:10 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: That is a great point on Billings, and I think he is just 22 years old right now.  Huge difference from the 20 year old we drafted, and could still turn it on even more as he develops.  I see flashes, but he seems to wear down, so maybe conditioning and his injury was a part of that?  Either way, if Billings shows what we all seem to think he can be this year, with Baker and some young pass rushers, the defense could soar.

I don't know about Vigil.  If I were to start a thread on "team enigma:  who makes no sense", my vote would be Vigil.  I saw him cover TEs beautifully from time to time.  I saw him fly in to make a tackle on a play (for a loss) and he seemed to diagnose the play very quickly.  Then other times, I see him whiff so badly in the open field on a tackle that he wouldn't have even got the guy down in two hand touch.  

Consistency, or lack thereof, is his biggest weakness.  
 Tackling and shedding were problems for him.   I know Marvin is going to stress tackling this year - mostly in response to the new head down tackling penalty.

Hopefully they will work on the overall technique - including breaking down so as not to let the back just blow by you on one side or the other.

He does have strengths.  As you say he diagnoses well and moves to the action really well.   He just badly needs to get his shedding and tackling technique down...  and stay healthy.

I always have hope for smart players.  And Burfict thought a lot of him at the beginning of last season.   It's also possible playing hurt played into his poor performance.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2018, 04:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You can bet Darrin Simmons will give Wilson a shot. He isn't like Merv, his guys earn their snaps on ST's and he runs the ST's unit.

Merv doesn't get a say with ST's thankfully. Hope the same goes for Lazor, Austin and Pollack. Just let them do their jobs.

Gotta say that you listing Mixon as a dud really surprises me. I bet he really surprises you and is right up there with Kamara, Hunt,
Fournette and Cook this season. He averaged 5.1 YPC once Lazor changed up the scheme late last year and that was with Og and
Bodine blocking and PA still the O-line coach.

Mixon has great vision, size, speed, burst, hands and moves. I am expecting super star in his future.

I agree with all of this except his vision.   I think his vision is poor.   But he definitely was playing better at the end of the season.  I loved his physical style.  Reminded me a little of Dillon.   Hopefully he can develop Dillon's kick butt stiff arm.
Reply/Quote
Dud-Dre Kirkpatrick. really hope we bring back pac.
Dark Horse- Darqueze Dennard....i think we are in for a real treat with our db tandem...
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2018, 02:17 PM)3wt Wrote: I agree with all of this except his vision.   I think his vision is poor.   But he definitely was playing better at the end of the season.  I loved his physical style.  Reminded me a little of Dillon.   Hopefully he can develop Dillon's kick butt stiff arm.

Well we couldn't really see Mixon's vision last year with how poorly the O-line was blocking until late.

The thing that stood out to most analysts and myself with Mixon at Oklahoma was his vision, he had the best vision of any
RB in awhile. Kind of hard to see any holes last year. I doubt he just lost his vision 3wt. He will be able to see holes this year
i am sure and then we can judge him fairly.
Reply/Quote
Dark Horse - Kroft. I could see him being a red zone and clutch 3rd down guy this year. 

Flop - Baker. Sometimes the "value" guys pay off, sometimes they don't. 
Reply/Quote
Dark Horse - Billings, he was 20 when we drafted him and then missed his entire rookie season. Coming into year 3 now, he should be more mature and over any lingering injuries stiffness.

Dud - Hart, wasn't very good with the Giants and had motivational problems which I don't see going away.
Reply/Quote
Dark Horse: Dre Kirkpatrick

With the signing of a DC like Austin that specializes in defensive backs and creating turnovers, I think we see better play back there, and more interceptions. Dre has had good production with picks in the past. He hasn't played the best lately. Made a lot of mistakes, taken a lot of penalties. I think Austin and our new DB coach will clean up his play and get him playing more technically sound. Thinking he could nab 5 picks this year.

Dud: Carl Lawson

Wanna see the guy produce. But this is just my gut feeling. He slowed down as the year went on. I'm not sure how they'll use him this year, either. A lot of people are really high on him and I think he might fail to meet expectations. Hope not, obviously. Wanna see a lot of sacks by this defensive front. It has been on the decline though, and part of that is because they're on the field too much. Would definitely be good to get some young guys in the rotation and producing.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2018, 09:38 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Wyoming is not D2, it's in the MWC. That's a D1 football conference. It's just not a Power 5.

It's division 1-A. My bad.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2018, 02:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well we couldn't really see Mixon's vision last year with how poorly the O-line was blocking until late.

True story 
Reply/Quote
Dud CORE Doubt he sees the field.

Dark-Horse.. Seems odd but Gio... Mixon is set to be the "Bell-cow" But gio will still outperform him
Reply/Quote