Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Chance Dalton & Green are Gone In 2020.
It would sure make sense to let them both go and spend that $35 million in cap space some other way and get a 2nd or 3rd Round pick for Dalton.

That said, this is the Bengals we're talking about. They'll likely franchise tag Green and have him injured another year. And Dalton? Well trading him is the obvious thing, but they may want him here to be a veteran presence.

You just never know what they'll do.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2019, 10:41 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Close is a relative term. The Steelers are going to get as close to the SB as we did in the past 31 years with a 3rd string QB this year.

Five straight 12th place trophies is better than nothing, though. 

By close I mean in 2015 we were legit contenders, imo. The Steelers are not this year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Reading the original post made me chuckle. Since 2003 every off-season has been about having X amount of cap Space for the following year. Yet every year, we are disappointed in that the cap Space is either not used or poorly used. The bengals will continue to always build for the future and most likely have disappointing results.

Here we are 18 years later before we drafted Carson Palmer and we are in the same exact place as a fan base. If that’s not history repeating it self I do not know what it is
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2019, 01:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: By close I mean in 2015 we were legit contenders, imo. The Steelers are not this year.

Was that before or after the Dalton injury? After the injury there’s no way the bengals were ever legit contenders
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2019, 01:48 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Reading the original post made me chuckle. Since 2003 every off-season has been about having X amount of cap Space for the following year. Yet every year, we are disappointed in that the cap Space is either not used or poorly used. The bengals will continue to always build for the future and most likely have disappointing results.

Here we are 18 years later before we drafted Carson Palmer and we are in the same exact place as a fan base. If that’s not history repeating it self I do not know what it is

That's what cracks me up on the dont pay AJ argument... WTF else are they gonna spend that money on?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2019, 01:48 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Was that before or after the Dalton injury? After the injury there’s no way the bengals were ever legit contenders

Obviously before. I’d say along with the Panthers and Broncos we were clearly one of the best teams that year.

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2019, 04:06 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Let’s be honest it was really 2 big misses that set us back. Og and Fisher. Although the Ross pick certainly didn’t help. I thought Taylor’s first draft here was terrible, but I don’t think it’s impossible for an elite QB to succeed here.

The defense has been looking better, the OL has been looking better, if Burrow is the real deal, Taylor can figure out his play calling, and we have a couple better drafts in a row, and use the money we’ll save on Dalton (and maybe AJ) on some decent FA’s, well...we might have a chance to be competitive sooner rather than later.

And yes that’s a lot of if’s.

When was the last time a Bengals coach figured it out, the bangles had a good draft, or the bangles got decent free agents?

We will be waiting another 30 years with similar results if the above is the solution.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2019, 01:51 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: When was the last time a Bengals coach figured it out, the bangles had a good draft, or the bangles got decent free agents?

We will be waiting another 30 years with similar results if the above is the solution.

Coaching? Probably Hue or Jay. They both had our offense playing well at one point. Hell, even big Paulie had the defense playing well in 2015.

The last good draft? I’d consider a good draft 2-3 solid starters, so maybe 2016? WJ3, Boyd, Billings, and Vigil is actually even looking better recently.

FA’s? Yeah...it’s been bleak.

Reply/Quote
It makes more sense to rebuild at this point than spend a lot of money on Green, who hasn't played much the last two years.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2019, 01:10 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It would sure make sense to let them both go and spend that $35 million in cap space some other way and get a 2nd or 3rd Round pick for Dalton.

That said, this is the Bengals we're talking about. They'll likely franchise tag Green and have him injured another year. And Dalton? Well trading him is the obvious thing, but they may want him here to be a veteran presence.

You just never know what they'll do.

(12-21-2019, 01:50 PM)jason Wrote: That's what cracks me up on the dont pay AJ argument... WTF else are they gonna spend that money on?

Yes.  What are these clueless D-Bags going to spend the money on?

If we're lucky they'll re-sign the obvious in house guys...  but outside of that?

Katie might have her eye on a diamond encrusted Dodo feather filled ski jacket.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2019, 02:31 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Yes.  What are these clueless D-Bags going to spend the money on?

If we're lucky they'll re-sign the obvious in house guys...  but outside of that?

Katie might have her eye on a diamond encrusted Dodo feather filled ski jacket.

She would look striking in that jacket... Just sayin'.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I have no problems with the team moving on from Dalton and Green. At the height of his career, Andy was never able to get this team "over the hump", when it came to playoff and big pressure games. AJ Green has been great, but now he's at a point in his career where not only will he cost a lot, but the risk of more injuries is only going to keep getting higher.

Obviously, we're positioned to get the best QB in the draft, and this draft is also loaded with WR talent. Adding a mid-tier FA at WR to play along with Boyd and Tate, would bridge the gap while the rookie develops. Besides, if we knew that we could count on John Ross being healthy for an entire season, our WR stock doesn't look that bad, as it stands.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2019, 01:50 PM)jason Wrote: That's what cracks me up on the dont pay AJ argument... WTF else are they gonna spend that money on?

Indeed. They've started overpaying their own guys now like Bernard, Hart, etc.

Should have just paid Zeitler his $10 million a year.

It's not like we'll not retain AJ and sign a $12 million a year LB. And you know what? A lot of fans see guys like Mosely sign for big contracts and they are happy the Bengals didn't pay 'that much' for him.

We basically use that money and sign below average to bad guys like Miller and Hart.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2019, 01:51 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: When was the last time a Bengals coach figured it out, the bangles had a good draft, or the bangles got decent free agents?

That's just it. IF this were the NBA, you pick 1st and you might get a Shaq to build your franchise around and you only have 5 guys on the court so it changes your future.

In the NFL, 1 guy matters...just not that much. You have to put a lot of puzzle pieces for a good roster. Then you have to have the right coaches.

This team is missing a bunch of major pieces...and management likely doesn't realize they are. And they have a lot of bad coaching.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2019, 03:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I have no problems with the team moving on from Dalton and Green.  At the height of his career, Andy was never able to get this team "over the hump", when it came to playoff and big pressure games.  AJ Green has been great, but now he's at a point in his career where not only will he cost a lot, but the risk of more injuries is only going to keep getting higher.

Obviously, we're positioned to get the best QB in the draft, and this draft is also loaded with WR talent.  Adding a mid-tier FA at WR to play along with Boyd and Tate, would bridge the gap while the rookie develops.  Besides, if we knew that we could count on John Ross being healthy for an entire season, our WR stock doesn't look that bad, as it stands.

Ross is likely gone after next year. They won't pick up his option most likely...then IF he does have a good year next year, he'll go somewhere else.

And we've seen guys put it together in contract years.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2019, 03:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Ross is likely gone after next year. They won't pick up his option most likely...then IF he does have a good year next year, he'll go somewhere else.

And we've seen guys put it together in contract years.

If he can give us one decent season of work, bridging the transition for a rookie to develop, then that would be a win-win in my book.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 01:27 PM)Fullrock Wrote: I agree. Neither AJ or Dalton will be here in 2029.

Lol....half the team wont.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2019, 03:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Indeed. They've started overpaying their own guys now like Bernard, Hart, etc.

It's not like we'll not retain AJ and sign a $12 million a year LB. And you know what? A lot of fans see guys like Mosely sign for big contracts and they are happy the Bengals didn't pay 'that much' for him.

We basically use that money and sign below average to bad guys like Miller and Hart.

Exactly.

It was hard to fault them for not re-signing guys like Zeitler because his contract was high like most guys who leave our team for the Browns.

However if you factor in what the Bengals are, and what they do, compared to the rest of the league...  now that is a different story.

Maybe they should overpay guys who have been solid to above average?

The reason being:

1.  Bengals will probably have to pay more than most teams for FA
2.  They barely do anything in outside FAs
3.  Relying mostly on draft picks but whiffing or getting project/backups

I myself am not going to condone backing the truck up for them if it was my team...  but it's not.

This is Mike Brown and his family with Tobin who is their favorite yes man.

So we can play pretend that we're some kind of methodical GMs, but the reality is who they are, and what they actually do.

It makes it really hard to be a fan when you realize it would take an act of God(or whatever you believe in)for them to be proactive instead of the usual sloth-speed-reactive form they embrace.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2019, 03:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Indeed. They've started overpaying their own guys now like Bernard, Hart, etc.

Zeitler made 13 million a year not 10 and if they wanted to spend 13 mil a year on an offensive linemen they should go out and get a tackle.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2019, 10:41 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Close is a relative term. The Steelers are going to get as close to the SB as we did in the past 31 years with a 3rd string QB this year.

Five straight 12th place trophies is better than nothing, though. 

I am going to write something on here many of you do not know about and just maybe do not believe this but here goes.Alot of the successful QBs are born in AUGUST.I need to know what month and day Joe Borrow is born.How tall he is,his weight,right or left handed,how big is his hands,and is he close to his family,and all that.This is important stuff,believe it.Tom Brady is a leo,born in august,Boomer is a leo,born in August,and there are more qbs born in august.just sayin,they seem to have the it factor and are people that want to win at everything.
Reply/Quote