Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Chance Dalton & Green are Gone In 2020.
Dalton will be gone, we know it and I wish him the best.

Green should get a multiple year contract from us taking into account injuries.

Burrow wants Green here so I am no longer on the fence about keeping him.

Just don't tag AJ, if we tag him, trade him for an early round pick.

AJ doesn't want the tag and we don't want the tag cause it will cost us in improving the team in FA.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2020, 03:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Dalton will be gone, we know it and I wish him the best.

Green should get a multiple year contract from us taking into account injuries.

Burrow wants Green here so I am no longer on the fence about keeping him.

Just don't tag AJ, if we tag him, trade him for an early round pick.

AJ doesn't want the tag and we don't want the tag cause it will cost us in improving the team in FA.

I just see Green as wanting out.  Also Mike Brown time to do long term contract was last off season.  You don't wait until Free Agency.  He will get huge Free Agent offers and he will be gone, which Mike Brown seems OK with.    The window of opportunity slammed closed on 2011 draft picks.  

Can the Bengals move on without them ?  Yes.  If they can lose with them, they can lose without them.   Bengals will dump the 2 biggest cap hits on the team, and that free's up building for the future.  The mega millions Mike Brown gets back with both leaving is right up Mike Browns alley.

When Green could have played, fans said why should he risk injury with Free Agency coming. I think that is not the attitude for winning going forward.

This isn't like resigning a Free Agent that nobody wants. When a player like AJ Green goes Free Agent, it means Mike Brown has already decided to part ways and so has Green. I've heard this from Trumpy and Collinsworth over the years. A team never lets a big name player go Free Agent unless they are already set to lose him. If Mike Brown had wanted Green, he would NOT be hitting the Free Agent Market in the first place. That Mike Brown didn't sign him long term before 2019 season says it all. Teams will offer Green more money than he has ever made, and he will be gone.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2020, 04:05 PM)kevin Wrote: I just see Green as wanting out.  Also Mike Brown time to do long term contract was last off season.  You don't wait until Free Agency.  He will get huge Free Agent offers and he will be gone, which Mike Brown seems OK with.    The window of opportunity slammed closed on 2011 draft picks.  

Can the Bengals move on without them ?  Yes.  If they can lose with them, they can lose without them.   Bengals will dump the 2 biggest cap hits on the team, and that free's up building for the future.  The mega millions Mike Brown gets back with both leaving is right up Mike Browns alley.  

When Green could have played, fans said why should he risk injury with Free Agency coming.  I think that is not the attitude for winning going forward.

This isn't like resigning a Free Agent that nobody wants.   When a player like AJ Green goes Free Agent, it means Mike Brown has already decided to part ways and so has Green.   I've heard this from Trumpy and Collinsworth over the years.   A team never lets a big name player go Free Agent unless they are already set to lose him.   If Mike Brown had wanted Green, he would NOT be hitting the Free Agent Market in the first place.  That Mike Brown didn't sign him long term before 2019 season says it all.  Teams will offer Green more money than he has ever made, and he will be gone.

Free Agency hasn't even started yet, there has already been tweets about the FO going "all out" in extending Green and 
Mixon. Burrow said he wants AJ here. AJ has been injured for years, he will not get a giant contract like he would if he was
healthy the last few years. This is not the way I would go about it, just putting two and two together here.
Reply/Quote
If AJ leaves or not I want a starting WR added to the team. AJ hurt himself last year sitting out imo I do not think he is going to get the big contract that he thinks he deserves. Injury history and riding the bench when you could of been playing will impact his free agent signing.

If AJ gets a new deal from the Bengals it could have a negative impact on some players on our team knowing he sat out last year when he could of played.

I am ok with him leaving. Staying ….not so sure he will have to make up for last year in a big way.
Reply/Quote
I see it this way. The Bengals have some leverage here. Burrow wants AJ here. That has to carry some weight with both parties.

The Bengals are in a position to offer a fair, but an incentive heavy, low garanteed money 2-3 yr contract.

AJ will have to accept it, because if he doesn't, the Bengals will tag him and draft his replacement. AJ can spend another season standing on the sidelines watching.

What kind of contract does he think he'll get next year after 2.5 yrs of inactivity/not playing...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The Bills and 49ers are already showing interest in Green. Green will get many offers. The only way he is here one more year is Franchise Tag, and he would be not be happy over that, so the Tag would be a huge mistake. The idea that no teams will come after Green is nonsense. He will be one of the highest paid free agents when March ends and maybe on a Super Bowl team like 49ers. Shed no tears for Mike Brown though because he will be unloading the 2 biggest contracts on his team freeing up 30 million and Hey Mikey, He Likes It.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2020, 09:14 PM)kevin Wrote: The Bills and 49ers are already showing interest in Green. Green will get many offers. The only way he is here one more year is Franchise Tag, and he would be not be happy over that, so the Tag would be a huge mistake. The idea that no teams will come after Green is nonsense. He will be one of the highest paid free agents when March ends and maybe on a Super Bowl team like 49ers. Shed no tears for Mike Brown though because he will be unloading the 2 biggest contracts on his team freeing up 30 million and Hey Mikey, He Likes It.

HE'S NOT GOING ANYWHERE.

STOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Seriously, he'll be tagged, enough.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
As almost everyone predicted Bengals are going to tag AJ Green.

I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 03:40 PM)Synric Wrote: As almost everyone predicted Bengals are going to tag AJ Green.

They can tag him and then work on an extension correct?
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 03:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: They can tag him and then work on an extension correct?

Yes. Looks like the new CBA will be signed soon so that stalled contract talks. They decided to tag him and continue to work on that deal.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 03:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: They can tag him and then work on an extension correct?

Yes, and that is the preferred outcome from using the tag to guarantee the player at least one year of top pay, while still working to negotiate a more traditional contract.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 03:48 PM)Synric Wrote: Yes. Looks like the new CBA will be signed soon so that stalled contract talks. They decided to tag him and continue to work on that deal.

(03-01-2020, 03:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, and that is the preferred outcome from using the tag to guarantee the player at least one year of top pay, while still working to negotiate a more traditional contract.

Good, that is what I like to hear. 

I don't think anyone wants to just have AJ tagged for just one year, not AJ, not anyone.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 03:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good, that is what I like to hear. 

I don't think anyone wants to just have AJ tagged for just one year, not AJ, not anyone.

I've been pretty open about my opinion, that they should sign him to a 3 year deal, one that would likely have him to retire as a Bengal.

I'm likely in the minority with this opinion, but I really believe that he can return to form, and play with renewed enthusiasm in a new-look Bengals system.  Maybe you don't want him catching 90+ passes/year and wearing him down to the point of being susceptible to injury.  Maybe spread the ball around a bit more, make the RBs a more prolific part of the passing offense.

Use AJ for the deadly weapon that he is, rather than as a "sure handed" security blanket taking hit after hit.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 04:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I've been pretty open about my opinion, that they should sign him to a 3 year deal, one that would likely have him to retire as a Bengal.

I'm likely in the minority with this opinion, but I really believe that he can return to form, and play with renewed enthusiasm in a new-look Bengals system.  Maybe you don't want him catching 90+ passes/year and wearing him down to the point of being susceptible to injury.  Maybe spread the ball around a bit more, make the RBs a more prolific part of the passing offense.

Use AJ for the deadly weapon that he is, rather than as a "sure handed" security blanket taking hit after hit.
I agree with what you say and i believe a lot of the "security blanket" stuff will recede with Burrow and a 2nd or 3rd round reciever.

Joe Burrow, AJ Green, Tyler Boyd, John Ross, Auden Tate, new WR.

Didn't even mention Joe Mixon, Gio, Tyler Eifert, CJ Uzomah
Sounds potent to me...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 04:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I've been pretty open about my opinion, that they should sign him to a 3 year deal, one that would likely have him to retire as a Bengal.

Yeah, I feel the same now. Just always wanted the deal to take into account the fact he hasn't played in 24 straight games.

I think with Burrow coming in it should really help out AJ cause of the accuracy Burrow has. Burrow also liked to use his RB's
in the passing game often at LSU and I was constantly wondering last season why Taylor wasn't using Mixon specifically more
often in the passing game, especially with AJ and Ross being injured.

Need to spread the ball around more as you say to keep AJ, Ross and Eifert healthy.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 05:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, I feel the same now. Just always wanted the deal to take into account the fact he hasn't played in 24 straight games.

I think with Burrow coming in it should really help out AJ cause of the accuracy Burrow has. Burrow also liked to use his RB's
in the passing game often at LSU and I was constantly wondering last season why Taylor wasn't using Mixon specifically more
often in the passing game, especially with AJ and Ross being injured.

Need to spread the ball around more as you say to keep AJ, Ross and Eifert healthy.

I did some looking at a breakdown of Joe's pass distribution, for this past season.  Of his 402 completions, 140 of those (about 35%) went to backs and TEs.  So, while Jefferson had an absurd 111 catches by himself, it's not like Joe won't spread it around and use his other options.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 05:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I did some looking at a breakdown of Joe's pass distribution, for this past season.  Of his 402 completions, 140 of those (about 35%) went to backs and TEs.  So, while Jefferson had an absurd 111 catches by himself, it's not like Joe won't spread it around and use his other options.

Good stuff, a big reason why Joe had such a great season was this fact.

Also a big reason why Lamar Jackson had a big year for the Ravens, targeted his RB's and especially his TE's very often.

Don't understand what Dalton and Taylor were thinking last season, this needs to change and I think it will with Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 05:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good stuff, a big reason why Joe had such a great season was this fact.

Also a big reason why Lamar Jackson had a big year for the Ravens, targeted his RB's and especially his TE's very often.

Don't understand what Dalton and Taylor were thinking last season, this needs to change and I think it will with Burrow.

The Ram's high powered offense that we took Zac Taylor from didn't feature a lot of throwing to the TEs.  In the passing game, they tried to always have receivers at 3 levels of the defense.  They like to sharp shoot to the one in mid depth level to lull the deep coverage to sleep, then burn 'em with the deep ball.  Worked really well in 2018, when they had an outstanding OL, rushing attack, and everyone bought the play action fake.

Both of their TEs are good players, both sure handed receivers and excellent blockers, just not a lot of designed targets for them in that particular offense.  I'm thinking that the Drew Sample pick was basically play the same role that Tyler Higbee does with the Rams.  (Just not a 3nd round pick, with so many other, more serious needs..) 

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 04:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote:  Maybe you don't want him catching 90+ passes/year and wearing him down to the point of being susceptible to injury.  Maybe spread the ball around a bit more, make the RBs a more prolific part of the passing offense.

Then why pay him like a player that does that?

It makes no sense to pay a WR elite money that isn't a focal point in the pass game. If you're worried that he can't do it then you've just made the argument that keeping him on a high dollar salary is, at best, extremely risky. At worst, incredibly stupid.

Yeah, I think we all want him to be elite. If not then they just overpaid.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 06:44 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Then why pay him like a player that does that?

It makes no sense to pay a WR elite money that isn't a focal point in the pass game. If you're worried that he can't do it then you've just made the argument that keeping him on a high dollar salary is, at best, extremely risky. At worst, incredibly stupid.

Yeah, I think we all want him to be elite. If not then they just overpaid.

If AJ Green catches 70 passes for 1,200 yards, and scores 12 TDs, that would be fantastic.  There's no need to key him on every drop back, forcing the ball to him repeatedly just sets him up for injury.  I'm not saying don't throw to him, just use him more efficiently and effectively, by incorporating the rest of the weapons into the offense.  Just his presence on the field creates mismatch opportunities for other receivers, on every play.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote