Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good interview with Whit
(01-23-2020, 12:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: JFC now we’re debating hypothetical injuries??

AGAIN, I just thought people might enjoy the interview. Literally the only reason I posted it.

The past is gone . Looking back for your mistakes doesn't accomplish anything. Maybe the mistakes have brought us to where we need to be. I know it is hard as a Bengals fan but being optimistic is a whole lot better than the alternative.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 11:06 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: When a team overpays guys like Bobby Hart and Gio, but let’s an All Pro LT walk over a year or two of term, you’re not going to convince me it was the “right” thing to do.

Anyway, just thought it was a good interview. Especially his thoughts on Burrow. You keep hearing the same things over and over again about Joe; great leader, infectious personality, etc. Man I can’t wait for April to make it official.

just had to applaud your comment on Gio and Hart

Brought to you by the same experts who wasted a second round pick on Sample
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 09:04 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Whit at this point in his career wouldnt give us time to wait and draft a guy, were still gonna need to draft another tackle. Whit definitely looked his age last year, he was still better then most guys we were throwing out there at LT until Cordy Glenn got "healthy".

Hearing a lot of the idea tossed around of putting Whit back at LG, not LT.
This could not only extend his career by another 1-3 years but would help give more time for Jordan and/or Price to become something.
Whit could still swing out to LT due to injury.

With all that said, I'd still look to draft 1-2 OL (one being OT) regardless whether Whit (or any other decent veteran FA) is brought in.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 11:06 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: When a team overpays guys like Bobby Hart and Gio, but let’s an All Pro LT walk over a year or two of term, you’re not going to convince me it was the “right” thing to do.

Anyway, just thought it was a good interview. Especially his thoughts on Burrow. You keep hearing the same things over and over again about Joe; great leader, infectious personality, etc. Man I can’t wait for April to make it official.

It definitely wasn't the "right" thing to do to let Whitworth walk. It was a gamble that the FO made because they had faith in Alexander to be able to groom 1st and 2nd round OL draft picks.

The real issue was not turning Ogbuehi and/or Fisher into a good starter.

And yes, they've let some of their high-tier guys go but retain their mid-to-low-tier guys by overpaying them what we think they would get outside.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 12:21 PM)grampahol Wrote: Just you wait n see.. Cedric Ogbuehi will get elected to the HOF.. (Hacked Off Feet) Mellow

Funny enough, Cedric played pretty well last season. Even now, Cedric isn't playing as good as Whit, but he is certainly playing better. He seems to be figuring something out in Jacksonville.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 09:06 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Spin it all you want, not doing whatever it took to re-sign Whit was a giant mistake. Troy Blackburn can on about “aging offensive tackles” and their value all he wants, but Whit would have been far and away our best olineman the last few years. With Hopkins emergence as a decent center that would have been LT and C locked down, instead, well...

Meanwhile, Whit went out to LA and was an All Pro and helped his team reach a Super Bowl.

Biggest mistake the FO committed in forever along with Drafting Og.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 09:06 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Spin it all you want, not doing whatever it took to re-sign Whit was a giant mistake. Troy Blackburn can on about “aging offensive tackles” and their value all he wants, but Whit would have been far and away our best olineman the last few years. With Hopkins emergence as a decent center that would have been LT and C locked down, instead, well...

Meanwhile, Whit went out to LA and was an All Pro and helped his team reach a Super Bowl.

Actually you spinned it by saying we let him go.. we did not let him go...  he choose to sign with Rams.. it would be hard to find a team that has not done the same thing.. drafted a player to replace a aging player.. not all of those drafted players work out. that is what happen here.  

I hated to see Whit go but I more hated that Cedric did not work out.. if you look back though he was not a reach pick... he just never panned out into the player we thought we were getting from College...
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 03:56 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Actually you spinned it by saying we let him go.. we did not let him go...  he choose to sign with Rams.. it would be hard to find a team that has not done the same thing.. drafted a player to replace a aging player.. not all of those drafted players work out. that is what happen here.  

I hated to see Whit go but I more hated that Cedric did not work out.. if you look back though he was not a reach pick... he just never panned out into the player we thought we were getting from College...

Whatever. Should of offered Whit a multiple year deal and he would of stayed. He said as much.

Oh well, I am doing what I always say others not to do and am crying over spilt milk. Mellow
Reply/Quote

ThumbsUp

Whit leaving & that Cedric/Fisher draft set us back for years.... Still haven't fully recovered. Bengals have to find our next Whit. Is it Jonah...I surely hope so but that player has to be found regardless. One of my all time favorites, great player & smart as a tack. LSU connections should have him in the know on JB9
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 03:56 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Actually you spinned it by saying we let him go.. we did not let him go...  he choose to sign with Rams.. it would be hard to find a team that has not done the same thing.. drafted a player to replace a aging player.. not all of those drafted players work out. that is what happen here.  

Spun

(01-23-2020, 05:04 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: ThumbsUp

Whit leaving & that Cedric/Fisher draft set us back for years.... Still haven't fully recovered. Bengals have to find our next Whit. Is it Jonah...I surely hope so but that player has to be found regardless. One of my all time favorites, great player & smart as a tack. LSU connections should have him in the know on JB9

By no means is Jonah up to Whitworth's level (yet! We'll see...), but I think he's a cornerstone player for a very long time.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 02:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Hearing a lot of the idea tossed around of putting Whit back at LG, not LT.
This could not only extend his career by another 1-3 years but would help give more time for Jordan and/or Price to become something.
Whit could still swing out to LT due to injury.

With all that said, I'd still look to draft 1-2 OL (one being OT) regardless whether Whit (or any other decent veteran FA) is brought in.

I'd welcome Whit back with open arms, but i still want them to draft a OT in the first 3 rounds. I thought letting Whit go was one of the biggest blunders this organization has ever made up to this point. Whit can still offer us some decent play at the position, and not to mention he can help develop some of the younger guys. I'm even all for hiring him onto our coaching staff when he hangs up his cleats.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 10:12 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He is my favourite player ever and that will NEVER change.

But he started to show a bit of wear in 2018 and last year, he had one of the worst seasons of his career (third-worst, after 2008 and his rookie year).

I don't agree with the way they handled his contract situation but in the end, Troy was 100% correct; he did only have 2 great, elite seasons left in him, because last year, while not bad, he regressed significantly, for him.

Still don't like the way things went down, but maybe he can come back on a cheapie 1/2 year deal as our backup/swingman. Doubt it would happen, but you never know...

In the Cowherd interview, he didn't take the opportunity to throw in a bash or snide remark about the team, unlike a certain former QB of ours...

PALMER SHOULD HAVE NEVER ATE THAT HOT DOG, NOW HES PEDDLING CBD!!!!!
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 02:01 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: https://youtu.be/pnCiGUyqtoU

He comments on Burrow briefly at the very end, but the entire clip is worth watching. Man I miss him. I’ll never forgive the FO for letting him go.

Thanks for sharing and can never forgive FO for allowing him to go either. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 02:01 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: https://youtu.be/pnCiGUyqtoU

He comments on Burrow briefly at the very end, but the entire clip is worth watching. Man I miss him. I’ll never forgive the FO for letting him go.

He smiled as soon as Burrow's name was mentioned.  I think he wants to come back here and be his LG for three years.  Can you imagine the roar of the crowd if they introduced Whit just before Burrow week 1?  Holy shit...
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 03:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Biggest mistake the FO committed in forever along with Drafting Og.

"along with" is correct....the drafting of OG is what led to not eventually resigning Whit.  They had to see what they had (a turd) and Fisher wasn't much better.  

The difference between the Bengals and other teams is when you whiff on a draft pick (Price?), they ride that mule in to the ground and lose big-time.  You simply can't have holes like that in your line.  Other teams would dump and go after a FA.  Admit your mistake and move on.

The Bengals have a MASSIVE opportunity to ride this wave of excitement created by Joe Burrow by signing Whit to play LG and Joe Thuney to play RG.  Draft a RT (that dude Mehkhi Becton looks like a PERFECT fit at RT, in Rd 2) and your line could go from dud to stud overnight.

They could EASILY afford this by trading/getting out of the contracts of Dalton, Dre K, and Gio.  If someone wants to offer a first round pick plus a sweeter for AJ Green,  I would take that as well.  The rookie wage scale makes those FA signings possible.  
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 08:31 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Hindsight,  they did not just let him go..they offered him a gap contract after drafting Cedric he turned it done... Cedric works got  we hardly talk about it. Let's say AJ comes back on one year plays well but $$ and age is a worru, he declines a short contract after we draft a WR In 1st round. Same thing if WR does not workout we whine.. if he turns out a great pick we stop talking about it.

Not really, anyone with two eyes could see Ogbuehi was awful.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 01:27 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I'd welcome Whit back with open arms, but i still want them to draft a OT in the first 3 rounds. I thought letting Whit go was one of the biggest blunders this organization has ever made up to this point. Whit can still offer us some decent play at the position, and not to mention he can help develop some of the younger guys. I'm even all for hiring him onto our coaching staff when he hangs up his cleats.

Yes, would love to have Whit back.

(01-24-2020, 11:40 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He smiled as soon as Burrow's name was mentioned.  I think he wants to come back here and be his LG for three years.  Can you imagine the roar of the crowd if they introduced Whit just before Burrow week 1?  Holy shit...

Getting me a bit hyped here Racer, damn!  Cool 

(01-24-2020, 11:50 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: "along with" is correct....the drafting of OG is what led to not eventually resigning Whit.  They had to see what they had (a turd) and Fisher wasn't much better.  

The difference between the Bengals and other teams is when you whiff on a draft pick (Price?), they ride that mule in to the ground and lose big-time.  You simply can't have holes like that in your line.  Other teams would dump and go after a FA.  Admit your mistake and move on.

The Bengals have a MASSIVE opportunity to ride this wave of excitement created by Joe Burrow by signing Whit to play LG and Joe Thuney to play RG.  Draft a RT (that dude Mehkhi Becton looks like a PERFECT fit at RT, in Rd 2) and your line could go from dud to stud overnight.

They could EASILY afford this by trading/getting out of the contracts of Dalton, Dre K, and Gio.  If someone wants to offer a first round pick plus a sweeter for AJ Green,  I would take that as well.  The rookie wage scale makes those FA signings possible.  

At least they benched Price when he was playing terrible under Turner, doubt PA would of done that, he would of rid that mule.

Whit, Thuney and Becton? Sounds awesome, this would help Burrow more than anything. That interior could make some nice
pockets for Burrow to step into. With Jonah coming back and Becton you have 2 young talented OT's that could grow into special
players especially playing next to Big Whit and Thuney.
Reply/Quote
I think bottom line you bring Whit back and keep him in the building, as a coach, as a mentor, as a starter, as a backup, I don't care.

This O-Line cant get much worse, and any impact at all would be seen as an improvement.

Whit is a Bengal and needs to come back home.
Reply/Quote
Whit is dead to me!
Reply/Quote
Some people haven't cut the umbilical cord it seems. Many won't until his replacement is found. Center was the position least talked about this season, thanks to Hopkins. This org better find Whit's replacement ASAP because it is obvious Whit has moved on and many of our fans haven't yet. Jonah.. u better be training & learning as I am typing this year. NO slacking!
Reply/Quote