Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good interview with Whit
(01-26-2020, 09:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Letting Whit walk was dumb, plain and simple. That is all.

He was in great shape when we let him walk regardless of age.

So you believe he could play forever as long as he was in good shape?  Even until he was 50?

The move is only dumb with the benefit of hindsight.  It is the exact same kind of move the Patriots pull with guys like Lawyer Malloy and Richard Seymour except you call them smart when  they do it.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 05:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So you believe he could play forever as long as he was in good shape?  Even until he was 50?

The move is only dumb with the benefit of hindsight.  It is the exact same kind of move the Patriots pull with guys like Lawyer Malloy and Richard Seymour except you call them smart when  they do it.

Fred, these are the types of posts that make you sound foolish.

Don't put words in people's mouths. Whit was in good shape when he was here and we didn't give him a multiple year deal 
that he deserved. We needed to sign him then and I said it then, he was the main need in that Offseason and we screwed it 
up. Evidence =his last 3 years as a Ram even if he fell off a bit at LT he might still be a good LG as he gets up there.

The Patriots knew when to move on, we didn't. Definitely smarter.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 05:36 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: That was the Jags in 2008!

There he DID throw a punch lol.

EDIT* Just watched the video; no punch thrown in 2012.

Truck is correct, Henderson I believe was the culprit trying to poke out Whit's eyes. Sumbitch. Whatever
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 10:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Fred, these are the types of posts that make you sound foolish.

Don't put words in people's mouths. Whit was in good shape when he was here and we didn't give him a multiple year deal 
that he deserved. We needed to sign him then and I said it then, he was the main need in that Offseason and we screwed it 
up. Evidence =his last 3 years as a Ram even if he fell off a bit at LT he might still be a good LG as he gets up there.

The Patriots knew when to move on, we didn't. Definitely smarter.

While everyone can agree that we love the guy and wish he could have stayed here, the smart move was, in fact, to draft a tackle (or two) to prepare for the future.  If Og was what they thought he would be, he could have slid Whit to LG or maybe moved to RT.  Whit's ultimate departure was compounded by the fact that the Bengals whiffed horribly on Og and Fisher.  Had they been good players, we wouldn't be having this conversation.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2020, 10:00 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: While everyone can agree that we love the guy and wish he could have stayed here, the smart move was, in fact, to draft a tackle (or two) to prepare for the future.  If Og was what they thought he would be, he could have slid Whit to LG or maybe moved to RT.  Whit's ultimate departure was compounded by the fact that the Bengals whiffed horribly on Og and Fisher.  Had they been good players, we wouldn't be having this conversation.  

All true.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2020, 10:00 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: While everyone can agree that we love the guy and wish he could have stayed here, the smart move was, in fact, to draft a tackle (or two) to prepare for the future.  If Og was what they thought he would be, he could have slid Whit to LG or maybe moved to RT.  Whit's ultimate departure was compounded by the fact that the Bengals whiffed horribly on Og and Fisher.  Had they been good players, we wouldn't be having this conversation.  

I agree, but we had already seen some.of Og at RT, if I remember correctly. Anyone could see he couldn't play....they should have signed Whit as insurance, tagged him if nothing else.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2020, 03:19 PM)Wyche Wrote: I agree, but we had already seen some.of Og at RT, if I remember correctly. Anyone could see he couldn't play....they should have signed Whit as insurance, tagged him if nothing else.

Strangely, that rookie season that only saw Og play a handful of games at the end of the season didn't raise a lot of red flags of being inept.  It was when they tried him back at LT and Fisher at RT that things fell apart.  
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 08:52 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Strangely, that rookie season that only saw Og play a handful of games at the end of the season didn't raise a lot of red flags of being inept.  It was when they tried him back at LT and Fisher at RT that things fell apart.  

I actually saw Og make a great pancake block his rookie season. Best play I ever saw from him.

Sprung a big run that went for a TD if I am not mistaken.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 02:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I actually saw Og make a great pancake block his rookie season. Best play I ever saw from him.

Sprung a big run that went for a TD if I am not mistaken.

I was thinking he was on IR his first year?
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 09:34 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: I was thinking he was on IR his first year?

Sorry, it was his first season playing. Forgot.
Reply/Quote
Whit is my favorite o-line man followed real closely by Rich Braham. It took us longer to replace Richie than anyone ever thought it would. I hope we finally found Whits replacement in Williams.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 09:34 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: I was thinking he was on IR his first year?

He played some at the end of his rookie season too. Not much, but he did play some snaps here and there.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 01:51 PM)Sled21 Wrote: It's funny how so many who criticize the Bengals for letting Whit walk are also the same one's who criticize MB for being too loyal and keeping players too long. "Follow the NE model and let aging players go" they say. Then turn around and criticize the Bengals for doing just that.

Because NE doesn't **** it up and let players go before they're "done". 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 05:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So you believe he could play forever as long as he was in good shape?  Even until he was 50?

It was smart because neither one played up to what they did before they moved on. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2020, 12:13 AM)jimbengals Wrote: Whit is my favorite o-line man followed real closely by Rich Braham. It took us longer to replace Richie than anyone ever thought it would. I hope we finally found Whits replacement in Williams.

I apologize if you aren't old enough to remember Anthony Munoz but he was the most dominating  player at ANY position the Bengals ever had. Whit was definitely a great Bengal but Munoz was maybe the best left tackle in NFL history.
Reply/Quote
It would be nice to go from rags to riches next season. It's long overdue.

Its a 3 step process:
1. Get winning record
2. Win playoff games
3. Win one last game, one last game.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2020, 10:01 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: I apologize if you aren't old enough to remember Anthony Munoz but he was the most dominating  player at ANY position the Bengals ever had. Whit was definitely a great Bengal but Munoz was maybe the best left tackle in NFL history.

No maybe about it.

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2020, 10:01 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: I apologize if you aren't old enough to remember Anthony Munoz but he was the most dominating  player at ANY position the Bengals ever had. Whit was definitely a great Bengal but Munoz was maybe the best left tackle in NFL history.

1. Totally get what you're trying to do here, but Munoz is irrelevant to the conversation, as we indeed still need a proper replacement for Whitworth.
2. Whitworth is the 2nd best T this team has ever had, arguably the 2nd best lineman period.
3. As Nicomo said, no maybe about it; Munoz was not only the greatest LT in NFL history, but the best OLINEMAN in NFL history. Nobody even comes close, IMO.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2020, 11:41 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 1. Totally get what you're trying to do here, but Munoz is irrelevant to the conversation, as we indeed still need a proper replacement for Whitworth.
2. Whitworth is the 2nd best T this team has ever had, arguably the 2nd best lineman period.
3. As Nicomo said, no maybe about it; Munoz was not only the greatest LT in NFL history, but the best OLINEMAN in NFL history. Nobody even comes close, IMO.

Sorry I was replying to JIMBENGAL's quote. So I guess that even though we had Whit we really haven't replaced Munoz? We need to get a Tackle who is better than Ogbuehi . He doesn't have to be as good as Munoz to be good. Hopefully Williams will come in and fill the spot.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2020, 12:08 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Sorry I was replying to JIMBENGAL's quote. So I guess that even though we had Whit we really haven't replaced Munoz? We need to get a Tackle who is better than Ogbuehi . He doesn't have to be as good as Munoz to be good. Hopefully Williams will come in and fill the spot.

lol Whitworth would've been the best replacement! LOL

And no one can replace Munoz, sadly Sad

I do think Jonah will be a good one!
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote