Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good interview with Whit
(01-26-2020, 11:54 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Some people haven't cut the umbilical cord it seems. Many won't until his replacement is found. Center was the position least talked about this season, thanks to Hopkins. This org better find Whit's replacement ASAP because it is obvious Whit has moved on and many of our fans haven't yet. Jonah.. u better be training & learning as I am typing this year. NO slacking!

And some people clearly didn’t even watch the video it seems. This was relevant since Whit was asked about Burrow because of LSU and Cincinnati.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
It's funny how so many who criticize the Bengals for letting Whit walk are also the same one's who criticize MB for being too loyal and keeping players too long. "Follow the NE model and let aging players go" they say. Then turn around and criticize the Bengals for doing just that.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 01:51 PM)Sled21 Wrote: It's funny how so many who criticize the Bengals for letting Whit walk are also the same one's who criticize MB for being too loyal and keeping players too long. "Follow the NE model and let aging players go" they say. Then turn around and criticize the Bengals for doing just that.

If you say so.

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 01:55 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If you say so.

Look back though the boards and show me I'm wrong....
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 02:03 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Look back though the boards and show me I'm wrong....

No thanks. But it’s not as black and white as you’re suggesting. You need to have some context when looking at any situation. Whit was still playing at an extremely high level (All Pro in fact) when we let him walk. Who cares how old he was. If you have to take one year of decline for one or two years of All Pro play you do it, and you don’t think twice. There is no such thing as a perfect contract. You get some good years and some bad.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 10:35 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Correct. Just because our replacements for him did not work out, that doesn't mean they were wrong about not offering a long term contract to a lineman Whit's age. Whit has played longer at a high level than the vast majority of linemen. He's an outlier......

Why is it the right move to tag an aging and often injured WR that played in 0 games the year before but it was wrong to tag an aging T coming off of an all pro year? That’s the head scratcher!
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 02:16 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Why is it the right move to tag an aging and often injured WR that played in 0 games the year before but it was wrong to tag an aging T coming off of an all pro year? That’s the head scratcher!

Because A) he was still playing at a high level, but linemen his age tend to decline quickly and B) between Og and Fisher they thought they had his replacement lined up. They were obviously wrong, and we can bash them for that, but the decision not to sign him to a multi-year deal was the smart move. Sometimes, the smart move bites you in the butt. 
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 03:47 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Because A) he was still playing at a high level, but linemen his age tend to decline quickly and B) between Og and Fisher they thought they had his replacement lined up. They were obviously wrong, and we can bash them for that, but the decision not to sign him to a multi-year deal was the smart move. Sometimes, the smart move bites you in the butt. 

No it was not a smart move. Somewhat understandable? Sure. But letting an All Pro walk over a year or two of term is not a smart move. Whit would have been invaluable here the last few years. We were staring 4th and 5th string LT’s this season ffs...

The depth just wasn’t there. He should have been retained at all costs. Period.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 11:06 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: When a team overpays guys like Bobby Hart and Gio, but let’s an All Pro LT walk over a year or two of term, you’re not going to convince me it was the “right” thing to do.

Anyway, just thought it was a good interview. Especially his thoughts on Burrow. You keep hearing the same things over and over again about Joe; great leader, infectious personality, etc. Man I can’t wait for April to make it official.

Maybe some synergy here for LSU alum (Whit) to come back for a 2 year stint along with another LSU player in Burrow?
I would welcome that idea and open up the draft a bit
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 03:47 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Because A) he was still playing at a high level, but linemen his age tend to decline quickly and B) between Og and Fisher they thought they had his replacement lined up. They were obviously wrong, and we can bash them for that, but the decision not to sign him to a multi-year deal was the smart move. Sometimes, the smart move bites you in the butt. 

With a declining Whit, Plan B could be to move him to Guard. What is Plan B for AJ? I wasn’t in favor of a multi year deal for Whit but didn’t get why they didn’t tag him.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 12:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And some people clearly didn’t even watch the video it seems. This was relevant since Whit was asked about Burrow because of LSU and Cincinnati.

It was a good video.  Looked like he is happy to be in California now.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 01:51 PM)Sled21 Wrote: It's funny how so many who criticize the Bengals for letting Whit walk are also the same one's who criticize MB for being too loyal and keeping players too long. "Follow the NE model and let aging players go" they say. Then turn around and criticize the Bengals for doing just that.

Letting Whit walk was dumb, plain and simple. That is all.

He was in great shape when we let him walk regardless of age.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 01:27 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I'd welcome Whit back with open arms, but i still want them to draft a OT in the first 3 rounds. I thought letting Whit go was one of the biggest blunders this organization has ever made up to this point. Whit can still offer us some decent play at the position, and not to mention he can help develop some of the younger guys. I'm even all for hiring him onto our coaching staff when he hangs up his cleats.
Absolutely.  I think if they take a trade back in Rd 2 with someone that has a lot of draft capital and maybe picks up an additional 2nd rounder (might have to toss in a 6th for a 2nd) the Bengals could likely address three significant needs in the first three rounds (beyond the QB):  OT has to be one of them, and if they are able to pull off those FA moves I keep yelling about (Whit at LG and Thuney at RG), they could get a WR, LB, and perhaps a safety to push Williams.  
Those FA moves (or something similar) HAVE to happen.  They may not like FA and would rather prefer to build through the draft, but when you whiff as big as you did on Glenn, Price, Ogbuehi, and Fisher....you have an immediate void to fill.  FA can do that.  
This will likely get me flamed, but I would rather see the Bengals sign Whit to play LG and Thuney to play RG than re-sign AJ Green.  
I think they could get a really good WR in the draft in Rd 2.  
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 05:57 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: It was a good video.  Looked like he is happy to be in California now.

I don't know...He did complain about the traffic  Hilarious.  If anything is going to happen, it should be now before his kids reach HS...tough to get a guy to move and uproot kids at that stage.  I would love to see him at LG and end up hoisting a Lombardi with Burrow.  THEN, ride off in to the sunset and they will build a statue of you in Cincinnati.

I think I fell in love with him when, post ejection against the Raiders for throwing a punch, he said something to the effect of "I have two contracts in my life, one is with my wife and the other is to protect Andy Dalton".
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 09:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Letting Whit walk was dumb, plain and simple. That is all.

How was our line doing again, the last couple of years he was here?
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 12:26 PM)Sled21 Wrote: How was our line doing again, the last couple of years he was here?

Yeah, it was the All Pro’s fault...lol

What are you even arguing at this point?

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 09:30 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I don't know...He did complain about the traffic  Hilarious.  If anything is going to happen, it should be now before his kids reach HS...tough to get a guy to move and uproot kids at that stage.  I would love to see him at LG and end up hoisting a Lombardi with Burrow.  THEN, ride off in to the sunset and they will build a statue of you in Cincinnati.

I think I fell in love with him when, post ejection against the Raiders for throwing a punch, he said something to the effect of "I have two contracts in my life, one is with my wife and the other is to protect Andy Dalton".

He didn't throw a punch, AFAIR.

He went right up to Houston to give him shit and then Houston + Tommy Kelly lost their shit and it turned into a fight.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 09:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Letting Whit walk was dumb, plain and simple. That is all.

I'll always believe, until proven otherwise. That in a big sense they tried to strong arm Whit, and it backfired.

But yes it was dumb. And I'll also always believe MB said you drafted this guy (Ogbuehi) in the 1st round and he's playing.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 01:28 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He didn't throw a punch, AFAIR.

He went right up to Houston to give him shit and then Houston + Tommy Kelly lost their shit and it turned into a fight.

He threw a punch, and got ejected, but maybe I am remembering when a Raider tried to gouge his eyes out....still couldn't believe he got ejected, but it is the Bengals.  
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 05:30 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: He threw a punch, and got ejected, but maybe I am remembering when a Raider tried to gouge his eyes out....still couldn't believe he got ejected, but it is the Bengals.  

That was the Jags in 2008!

There he DID throw a punch lol.

EDIT* Just watched the video; no punch thrown in 2012.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote