Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goodell calls Trump's comments "divisive"
(09-24-2017, 02:47 PM)Millhouse Wrote: There was a time in American history when sports and politics collided, and as a result America was better for it. I am referring to the 1950s and 60s when Jackie Robinson and then other black players started to come in MLB. Then you had black football and basketball players coming in the NFL and NBA, and college as well. 

That I am sure ruffled a lot of sports fans feathers back then for making their beloved sports political. However that was a time when segregation was legally allowed, and social injustices were beyond anything that exists in todays world. And through sports people saw for the first time that whites and blacks can play and work together on a scale never seen before in any other way. 

I just want to point that out to those that say they dont want their sports invade by politics and sjws out there. 

But as I said before, the kneeling has shown to not be effective in getting discussion for those in power to make changes to help prevent very few cops out there to do their job that treats everyone the same. All it has done is bring up the discussion of protesting the flag and anthem. And now it is blown out of all proportions that is just ridiculous.
Those issues involved the sport. The prorest and Trumps stupid comment do not.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Short version: neo cons have made the flag synonymous with their agenda so disrespecting it seems to be less of a sin in the eyes of many.

Trump aligning himself with the flag could be a death knell.
I may have mentioned before that my wife makes me look like card carrying liberal.

I hate that Trump has now given her another reason to bytch at me for watching football on Sunday
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

NFL vs. trump.

Gee, I wonder who'll win that one.

Who else does Trump wanna piss off? How many supporters are left? He just keeps pissing more and more people off.

Talk about Obama dividing the country? What the duck do you call what this piss lips is doing on a daily basis? He's proven what I thought he was all along. Nothing more than a reality game show host. Yer Fired!
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

(09-24-2017, 05:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I may have mentioned before that my wife makes me look like card carrying liberal.

I hate that Trump has now given her another reason to bytch at me for watching football on Sunday

If she's a hardcore conservative, she'll understand when you put her in her place and tell her you're watching football all day long while she cooks and cleans.  
I'll simply make this point. What employer is ok with their employees making political points or protests at your place of employment?
The whole NFL is united against his comments. The Great Uniter!
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(09-24-2017, 05:59 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'll simply make this point. What employer is ok with their employees making political points or protests at your place of employment?

I've said before, no one has the right to protest at work. 
However, it seems like NFL owners understand the position they, their teams, and their players hold in our society and are happy to let players use this platform to promote issues important to their players and many fans. Assuming this is done uniformly, I can't hate on it. 

(09-24-2017, 06:06 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I've said before, no one has the right to protest at work. 
However, it seems like NFL owners understand the position they, their teams, and their players hold in our society and are happy to let players use this platform to promote issues important to their players and many fans. Assuming this is done uniformly, I can't hate on it. 

I'm not asking you to hate on it, I'm pointing out how foolish it is. Involving your business in politics is counter to the point of running a business, which is to sell your product. The Chik fil A dude was equally foolish when he made statements about marriage equality. When some considers using your business you want their only dilemma be whether they prefer your product or not. Adding political conditions on using your business is shitty business sense, whatever you're political leanings are.

This is merely the latest example of Godell demonstrating his utter lack of leadership ability and the NFL is going to suffer financially, not insignificantly, because of it.
(09-24-2017, 06:14 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm not asking you to hate on it, I'm pointing out how foolish it is. Involving your business in politics is counter to the point of running a business, which is to sell your product. The Chik fil A dude was equally foolish when he made statements about marriage equality. When some considers using your business you want their only dilemma be whether they prefer your product or not. Adding political conditions on using your business is shitty business sense, whatever you're political leanings are.

This is merely the latest example of Godell demonstrating his utter lack of leadership ability and the NFL is going to suffer financially, not insignificantly, because of it.

No doubt it's poor business, but somethings transcend money for some people. 

(09-24-2017, 05:48 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: NFL vs. trump.  

Who else does Trump wanna piss off?  How many supporters are left?  He just keeps pissing more and more people off.

Talk about Obama dividing the country?  What the duck do you call what this piss lips is doing on a daily basis?  He's proven what I thought he was all along.  Nothing more than a reality game show host.   Yer Fired!

How many supporters are left? A shit ton. It seems that most Trump voters are completely cool with what he has done so far. Baffling, I know, but I don't know if many people have turned their back on him yet.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

(09-24-2017, 06:16 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: No doubt it's poor business, but somethings transcend money for some people. 

For some players to be sure. I don't believe that about a single owner.
(09-24-2017, 06:17 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: How many supporters are left? A shit ton. It seems that most Trump voters are completely cool with what he has done so far. Baffling, I know, but I don't know if many people have turned their back on him yet.

I'd say Trump has at least 70 million supporters. Notice I didn't say voters. All of them are consumers. Additionally, many have likely hardened their positions since the election. Alienating such a large percentage of the populace is a shit business decision.
(09-24-2017, 06:21 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'd say Trump has at least 70 million supporters. Notice I didn't say voters.  All of them are consumers. Additionally, many have likely hardened their positions since the election. Alienating such a large percentage of the populace is a shit business decision.

I'm not convinced of the long term effects of these political boycotts.  People boycotted Chick Fil A and their lines are always encircling the building.  People boycotted Target and they're parking lots and lines are still jacked.  

These things have action-reaction consequences.  Some will bolt, others will be attracted.  In the end, if you are happy enough with the product, you won't leave over a hot take explosion.  Not permanently anyway.

There's also little chance that all 70 mil if that is the number will accept his marching orders and boycott. I'd say he'd be lucky to convince 50 percent to get onboard with it.
(09-24-2017, 06:18 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: For some players to be sure. I don't believe that about a single owner.

A lot of them are releasing statements encouraging it, so it has to be somewhat true. That or they believe the impact of not allowing players to do it would cause issues. 

(09-24-2017, 06:45 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: A lot of them are releasing statements encouraging it, so it has to be somewhat true. That or they believe the impact of not allowing players to do it would cause issues. 

They might not appreciate the president unconstitutionally telling people to boycott their businesses.  Picky jerks. 
(09-24-2017, 05:48 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: NFL vs. trump.  

Who else does Trump wanna piss off?  How many supporters are left?  He just keeps pissing more and more people off.

Talk about Obama dividing the country?  What the duck do you call what this piss lips is doing on a daily basis?  He's proven what I thought he was all along.  Nothing more than a reality game show host.   Yer Fired!

Depends on what you mean by "supporters". Truth is, if people feel their lives are better four years from now, they will vote for Trump again and disregard all of the "divisiveness". That's why he became president in the first place. People care more about their own lives than what Trump says about other people.
I honestly don't care about all this bullshit and drama.. so stupid!! Who cares what other people do or think.. Everyone fighting like children!! No one respects each other anymore..
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

So a player should be fired for exercising their right to free speech at work, but denying gay people service is acceptable? Both exercising First Amendment liberties, though only one denies another their civil rights. Guess which one the current administration supports.
(09-24-2017, 06:45 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: A lot of them are releasing statements encouraging it, so it has to be somewhat true. That or they believe the impact of not allowing players to do it would cause issues. 

It's got to be a tricky situation for them, risk alienating the POTUS and a large percentage of NFL fans or a significant percentage of their players.

(09-24-2017, 08:43 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So a player should be fired for exercising their right to free speech at work, but denying gay people service is acceptable? Both exercising First Amendment liberties, though only one denies another their civil rights. Guess which one the current administration supports.

The concepts aren't mutually exclusive, although there is obviously an inherent contradiction in someone believing both.  I think the bottom line is that no one has an inherent right to espouse their political beliefs at their place of business.  The vast majority of employers have rules specifically prohibiting it, I under stand the NFL does not.  However, the NFL engages in their own inherent contradictions; like fining William Gay money for wearing purple cleats to support acknowledgement of domestic violence (Gay's mother was killed with a shotgun in front of him by her abusive spouse) but doing nothing about the anthem protests.

Any private business is simply being intelligent by not injecting or acknowledging politics in relation to their business or product.  It makes zero sense to alienate half the country in one swoop when your business has nothing to do with politics.  Like everything else this empty headed clown touches, Goodell ****** this up and the NFL will suffer for this.  I'll finish by asking this, do you think that the majority of NFL fans (and by fans I mean people who buy jerseys and attend games, not some asshole who watches because they're in their work FF league) lean conservative of liberal?