Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goodell calls Trump's comments "divisive"
Remember when the 5 policeman were murdered in Dallas last year. And the NFL refused to make an exception to allow players to wear a decal on their helmet to show support for the Dallas PD. Claimed it was due to uniform regulations, even if it would have been for one game.

Yet the NFL has had no problem with players kneeling in protest of the police basically.

Anyways as I said, Goodell, Kaepernick, and others that kneeled are idiots.

Trump is the biggest idiot of them all, and is a horrible President in trying to bring the nation of all peoples together. He isnt just president to the ones that voted for him, he is just as much President to those that didn't. And he will never change unfortunately on this.

All in all, I dont even care anymore. A player kneeling while making more money in a year than I will ever make in a lifetime, whatever. You arent getting any respect from me. A person that does an actual protest against those in power because they dont feel represented in a justified manner and make 12 bucks an hour, they get a shitton more respect from me.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-24-2017, 11:56 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote:  

I don't understand why we can't just call kaepernick or any of these other clowns a bunch of idiots.  

But that's the beauty of the 1st.

You CAN!

You can call Kaepernick an idiot. And he can call police who commit crimes idiots. And Trump can call owners idiots because he's still butthurt that they defeated his football effort.

The problem isn't that you can't call someone an idiot. It's that some people feel it's not right for him to call someone an idiot.
(09-24-2017, 12:14 PM)Millhouse Wrote: All in all, I dont even care anymore. A player kneeling while making more money in a year than I will ever make in a lifetime, whatever. You arent getting any respect from me. A person that does an actual protest against those in power because they dont feel represented in a justified manner and make 12 bucks an hour, they get a shitton more respect from me.

No knock against you, but I don't understand this reasoning. Oftentimes, those underrepresented people making 12 bucks (or less) an hour don't feel they have the freedom to protest. They often feel like they will face repercussions for their actions and not receive any benefit. No one will pay attention to their protest and all that will happen is they lose a job, end up homeless, and become even more impoverished and disenfranchised than before. Because of this, it is extremely important for people that may be in a more privileged position to speak up when they see injustices. That is what must happen in order to see change happen without a revolution.
(09-24-2017, 12:21 PM)Benton Wrote: But that's the beauty of the 1st.

You CAN!

You can call Kaepernick an idiot. And he can call police who commit crimes idiots. And Trump can call owners idiots because he's still butthurt that they defeated his football effort.

The problem isn't that you can't call someone an idiot. It's that some people feel it's not right for him to call someone an idiot.

The belief that people who do this dumb stuff at work are some sort of martyrs is annoying. It's not the behavior that annoys me it's the coverage of the behavior that is the problem. These guys aren't walking the walking the bridge in Selma.

It's almost like the left wants to relive the 60's.
(09-24-2017, 12:35 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: No knock against you, but I don't understand this reasoning. Oftentimes, those underrepresented people making 12 bucks (or less) an hour don't feel they have the freedom to protest. They often feel like they will face repercussions for their actions and not receive any benefit. No one will pay attention to their protest and all that will happen is they lose a job, end up homeless, and become even more impoverished and disenfranchised than before. Because of this, it is extremely important for people that may be in a more privileged position to speak up when they see injustices. That is what must happen in order to see change happen without a revolution.

The 12 bucks could be 15 or 20. Something far less than what a pro football makes.

Point was that a hard working person that takes time out of their lives to go to an actual protest will get more respect from me, as long as they dont cross a line.

Anyways what good has the kneeling that Kaepernick, who wore pro-Castro shirts and pig cop socks, have done? The only discussion it has stirred up is disrespecting the flag. If the intent was to stir up discussion on how an extremely small % of cops out there across the country have unjustly shot and killed a few black guys that werent armed (and a couple of white guys too), then that intent has failed. 

(09-24-2017, 12:52 PM)Millhouse Wrote: The 12 bucks could be 15 or 20. Something far less than what a pro football makes.

Point was that a hard working person that takes time out of their lives to go to an actual protest will get more respect from me, as long as they dont cross a line.

Anyways what good has the kneeling that Kaepernick, who wore pro-Castro shirts and pig cop socks, have done? The only discussion it has stirred up is disrespecting the flag. If the intent was to stir up discussion on how an extremely small % of cops out there across the country have unjustly shot and killed a few black guys that werent armed (and a couple of white guys too), then that intent has failed. 

I'm not going to argue the merit of his protest or the efficacy. I am just pointing out that people that are in a position of privilege will need to speak up and act out in order to affect real change in our system that is so needed.
The only owner I know to tell his players he has no tolerance for kneeling is Jerry Jones. I fully expect America's team to get a whole new glut of bandwagon fans any day now. Brand development at its finest.
(09-24-2017, 01:09 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm not going to argue the merit of his protest or the efficacy. I am just pointing out that people that are in a position of privilege will need to speak up and act out in order to affect real change in our system that is so needed.

If they want change then run for office and advocate for criminal justice reforms. Or use their money and fund people who will.

Don't make a mockery of your job.
Kudos for Tomlin to avoid having his players choose in case some felt obligated by SJW to kneel.
(09-24-2017, 01:18 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Kudos for Tomlin to avoid having his players choose in case some felt obligated by SJW to kneel.

God bless the Steelers and Cowboys.  Now I support the fact that the NFL lets them cheat. 
I’m really pissed that this just adds more politics to something that’s supposed to be an escape. I don’t care if CK thinks police eat babies and I don’t care if Trump thinks he’s an SOB, but I do care that it invaded my entertainment because there’s no way they can pretend it didn’t happen. And I don’t need “well maybe this is what it takes to make you aware.” I’ll choose how much reality I want and when I want it.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(09-24-2017, 12:05 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I haven’t read the thread yet, but that comment is pathetic.  I’m not a fan of the kneeling at all, but now I might be.

Which comment?
(09-24-2017, 01:55 PM)samhain Wrote: Which comment?

Trump’s
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(09-24-2017, 01:57 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Trump’s

Yeah, bad idea.  I'm not sure the protests were going away any time soon, but his comments made damn sure that they weren't and exacerbated the bad situation.
(09-24-2017, 01:48 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I’m really pissed that this just adds more politics to something that’s supposed to be an escape.  I don’t care if CK thinks police eat babies and I don’t care if Trump thinks he’s an SOB, but I do care that it invaded my entertainment because there’s no way they can pretend it didn’t happen.  And I don’t need “well maybe this is what it takes to make you aware.”  I’ll choose how much reality I want and when I want it.

There was a time in American history when sports and politics collided, and as a result America was better for it. I am referring to the 1950s and 60s when Jackie Robinson and then other black players started to come in MLB. Then you had black football and basketball players coming in the NFL and NBA, and college as well. 

That I am sure ruffled a lot of sports fans feathers back then for making their beloved sports political. However that was a time when segregation was legally allowed, and social injustices were beyond anything that exists in todays world. And through sports people saw for the first time that whites and blacks can play and work together on a scale never seen before in any other way. 

I just want to point that out to those that say they dont want their sports invade by politics and sjws out there. 

But as I said before, the kneeling has shown to not be effective in getting discussion for those in power to make changes to help prevent very few cops out there to do their job that treats everyone the same. All it has done is bring up the discussion of protesting the flag and anthem. And now it is blown out of all proportions that is just ridiculous.

This whole charade is Mr Trump distracting from the fact that his lil agenda is DOA.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
I'll say this one time...slowly:

The POTUS called an NFL player and US citizen an SOB for exercising his right to free speech.

Of course the other union members will support him. Even if they do not support his cause.

Let's stop people from acting like 5 year olds and move on to talking about and fixing important things.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-24-2017, 11:05 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I partially agree with you on this. The protest now is going to be about Trump, and not about the issues of police brutality and race inequality that started it all. I won't lose any respect for those that protest, though. If they feel a reason to protest, then whatever.

(09-24-2017, 11:13 AM)samhain Wrote: I somewhat agree with you.  

I think if/when there is an uptick in protests this afternoon, it will be more of a big FU to the president than anything else.  I hate his guts as much as anyone, but do not believe that disrespecting the anthem is an acceptable way of disrespecting him.  He is so far removed from the good that that flag/anthem represent that it's almost comical.  He does not deserve to be linked with it for the purpose of protest or anything else.  

The flag and anthem are symbols of national pride and self-sacrifice.  Our current president is New York tabloid dumpster trash.  The flag is about men and women who have given everything to make this country what it is.  Trump has never given anything for anyone other than himself.  He's a walking upside down flag.  If players want to react to his childish stupidity, they should be creative and find another way that is both effective and provocative.  

Well, why not both?

Seems most NFL players didn't copy the kneeling.  A few did.  Whatever.

But since chanting USA and demanding loyalty seem to be a requirement to be in politics these days it rubbed a few people the wrong way.  (Snowflakes?)

And once the POTUS weighed in in his own "special" way it was inevitable that the NFL players would support one of their own.  So if they are protesting Trump, so be it.  

I'd bet Melania's wardrobe budget that it doesn't go longer than a week if the POTUS can keep his mouth shut.
(09-24-2017, 09:44 AM)Benton Wrote: Respect for the government went out the window a long time ago. It's hard to respect a lawmaker that lobbies hard against healthcare reform while sitting in his house paid for by pharma. It's hard to respect a governing body that gives millions of tax dollars to a company so that they can automate and get rid of jobs that paid those taxes.

American lawmakers, by and large, are doing what's in their best interests. Both sides. when someone speaks out against that, they lead people into calling it in-American.

In this instance, they have. But the far right media and pro-government folks like Trump and the far right are making an issue out of it.

1. Guy doesn't like what the government does
2. Guy peacefully makes statements about it
3. Far right media freak out, badger the issue until the guy losses his job
4. People talk about it, pro-government folks call the guy unpatriotic

This would have been over in a week if the right didn't have to wrap themselves in a flag to make sure their base knows they care more about America than anyone else.
(09-24-2017, 03:18 PM)GMDino Wrote: This would have been over in a week if the right didn't have to wrap themselves in a flag to make sure their base knows they care more about America than anyone else.

Which, coincidentally, is disrespectful to the flag per the US Flag Code.