D+
D
D-
F
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grade The Bengals Draft Of 2021
Breaking News: Bengals down a draft pick as Tyler Shelvin just ate Wyatt Hubert.

Ninja
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 08:22 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: That's great, but the coaches making the decisions have already said he's competing for a starting job.

Hey I hope so, I want the best for him obviously and hopes he tears it up on the field, but the coaches also said last season they felt very confident in the OL and thought they would do great that year.

So how much clout does their words really mean?
Reply/Quote
Nice draft. B+
Stole Joseph Assai.
Love Chase. I’m a trenches guy. But today’s NFL mandates the need for weapons to succeed.
We addressed both lines. Love the edge rushers and the Mountain DT from LSU.
Hopefully some of the new OLs succeed cause I just can’t handle anymore Jordan or Redmond.

Who Dey
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
I gave it a b+ I think they did well though and even though the grade is not the highest I think their plan was spot on.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
C.

Chase & Ossai are the best of the bunch. Needed a kicker but went a round early for my money (that WR from Iowa who is a great returner with burner speed was on the board). We drafted a lot of OL bodies, but I doubt any make an immediate impact. Still no WR speed outside of Chase. DT from LSU was solid.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 08:24 PM)GodFather Wrote: Hey I hope so, I want the best for him obviously and hopes he tears it up on the field, but the coaches also said last season they felt very confident in the OL and thought they would do great that year.

So how much clout does their words really mean?

No argument from me on this statement. I'll have faith Carman is better than some of the guys who started last year.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 08:21 PM)GodFather Wrote: No I saw a second round pick who needs developing and not a starting guard this upcoming season.

He’s going to start week one at RG. Book it.

Reply/Quote
C-

1. See my thread titled Style over Substances
2. A offensive tackle competing for a position he's never played at a professional level? But hey, he's home grown right?
3. Who?
4. They filled the trenches in Rd 4 with defined O and D linemen here, like I said they would.
5 onward, are inconsequential picks. The most notable is some kicker?
Reply/Quote
A-
Very good draft. Could have been better here or there but got very good players all through the draft
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 08:27 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: C.

Chase & Ossai are the best of the bunch. Needed a kicker but went a round early for my money (that WR from Iowa who is a great returner with burner speed was on the board). We drafted a lot of OL bodies, but I doubt any make an immediate impact. Still no WR speed outside of Chase. DT from LSU was solid.

Really liked Smith-Marsette myself. If I have another negative it is not taking him and grabbing McPherson in the 6th instead.

BTW, thought we had 2 5th's not 2 6th's some Mocks threw me off.
Reply/Quote
C+

Not a fan of getting hurt players with so many available. Seems like Lou's D picks were superior to the Offensive players.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 08:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Really liked Smith-Marsette myself. If I have another negative it is not taking him and grabbing McPherson in the 6th instead.

BTW, thought we had 2 5th's not 2 6th's some Mocks threw me off.

Tbh, I doubt he would've lasted.

It's kinda like taking a kicker in fantasy. If you wait til the round you "should" take a kicker in, you'll probably miss the best one.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 08:20 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I gave it a A.  Defense needed help as much as the offense.  What'd we give up....400 yards rushing to Baltimore one game.  We had 17 sacks last year.  Yea Joe needs protected.  But we can't have him chucking it up 50 times a game either trying to catch up.  That's asking for injuries also.

Yeah, our DL play last year was the worst in the league in both areas IMO.

Love how we addressed this blatant need.

(05-01-2021, 08:20 PM)GodFather Wrote: I hope so, but would you bank on that this offseason? I see him as a great backup or rotating other than counting on him next season as a starter.

I bet Spain, Carman, XSF, Hill are much better than MJ that is for damn sure and under Pollack instead of Turner?

Coaching was obviously our biggest problem last year with the O-line in missed assignments and being lost out there not 
knowing who to block. This was on Turner more than anyone. Complete lack of technique besides the prepared players 
who did it on their own. Turner was terrible man.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 08:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Tbh, I doubt he would've lasted.

It's kinda like taking a kicker in fantasy. If you wait til the round you "should" take a kicker in, you'll probably miss the best one.

That is why you have to look at the Draft as a whole. 

Would of sucked to have to wait and see McPherson get picked up by someone else. 

Also there should be lots of good UDFA WR's available after this Draft.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 08:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote:  Turner was terrible man.

100% truth buddy!
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 08:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Tbh, I doubt he would've lasted.

When he kicks game winning FG's, people will be saying it was the smartest pick in the draft!
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 08:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That is why you have to look at the Draft as a whole. 

Would of sucked to have to wait and see McPherson get picked up by someone else. 

Exactly. That's why I give them positive marks for being gutsy enough to take the K in round 5.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I would hover between A and A- but voted A.

I like that they built the foundation of the team with extremely solid picks. Teams are built in the trenches. There was a single consensus #1 caliber WR in the draft and we needed one and got him.

For those still undecided on Jackson in round 2 then I would suggest going back and watching tape. Especially, watch how this mountain gets the the second level, immediately identifies the next target, and then attacks it. Extremely athletic for his size and has natural real man strength. Stop listening to talking heads.

I look forward to them getting these guys in the fold and start getting them reps.

Anxious to see what UDFAs we acquire.
Reply/Quote
Lest we forget the line only gave up 2 sacks in the final 4 games. And what did those games have in common? XSF and Spain together. Remember Spain was not part of the team at season start - he basically dropped out of the sky to us. We started the season with Jordan at LG and for a while we had Jordan and Redmond at Guard (and don't forget the experiment with Jordan and Johnson). I believe part of why they fired Turner at seasons end was they saw that the linemen he had not really worked with came in and played much better than those he had worked with.

Also, let's stop overstating the medical stuff. Carman only missed Pro Day because he was still in recovery from the procedure - he scheduled a private day once he was ready and was impressive at it. Hill had minor scopes of the meniscus.

I was getting a bit down on them but have to admit they did it good. We needed a playmaker on the outside on offense and got it. We also drafted 3 OL and 4 DL to go with our RB and K. They have needed to have this kind of line centric draft for years. And the trade back turned out to be key as we gained 2 4s for moving back 8 spots.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 08:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That is why you have to look at the Draft as a whole. 

Borregelas from Miami (the U) was the #1 kicker in some boards & went undrafted. We reached twice (Carman & McPherson), picked a RB who was academically suspended in 2019 & ran for 73 yards last year, a C who just had surgery on BOTH knees, and another OL who had an undisclosed season ending injury. 

I see 2 starters (Chase & McPherson). A tweener with potential (Ossai). The rest are low ceiling depth pieces and/or reaches. Still lack WR depth and have LB issues.

I think this draft may be dumb enough to get ZT fired.
Reply/Quote