B
C
D
F
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Grade The Draft
I'll go A. Can't really tell for a few years though.

The Bengals draft guys with really high ras scores.
Reply/Quote
[Image: BriskFaroffIndianelephant-size_restricted.gif]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I say A due to draft position. Years ago our roster had huge needs so top 10 early round picks had to start as rookie and now if any picks can make significant contribution they are a good pick.

I think we will have at least 3 major contributors. If so , great draft.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I think people are upset because the Cincinnati Bengals did not draft their guys rather than who they picked. I know there was concerns with the tight end from Georgia medical and the Ohio State right tackle had red flags.  I see three maybe four starters from this draft. If Murphy plays like he did his freshman year Clemson, he's going to be a monster.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 02:53 PM)Oasis5055 Wrote: Ben Brown is the backup? You lost the argument right there I mean Is it even worth responding to?  An undrafted free agent from last years class who had talent but was undrafted because of a serious arm injury in college and then in pre season blew out his arm again and hasn’t played a down in the nfl? Trey hill struggled against pre season talent no less last year. The article on Ben brown from last year talks  about trey hills struggle in preseason. If these are seriously the backups it’s gonna be bad

If the team was worried about Ben Brown's ability to compete this year, don't you think that they might have addressed that in free agency or the draft?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 02:53 PM)Oasis5055 Wrote: Ben Brown is the backup? You lost the argument right there I mean Is it even worth responding to?  An undrafted free agent from last years class who had talent but was undrafted because of a serious arm injury in college and then in pre season blew out his arm again and hasn’t played a down in the nfl? Trey hill struggled against pre season talent no less last year. The article on Ben brown from last year talks  about trey hills struggle in preseason. If these are seriously the backups it’s gonna be bad

Trey Hill has had regular season snaps and has played relatively well so I really could care less about an article about preseason struggles. There are also going to be numerous cuts made before the season so to consider the roster finished for '23 right now would be rather silly. This staff and Tobin have come in and built a Super Bowl contending roster yet everyone still believe they know better how to build roster better.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 02:27 PM)Oasis5055 Wrote: Couldn’t agree more. Draft is a c at best for me because the glaring need was not addressed. Signing brown at left tackle is great but with an injured Williams and Collins overall for the line is is a wash.

Who is going to backup Kara’s Cappa if they go down? We saw sharping get man handled and burrow throwing in to the ground how many times. Ford and scharping are good against average. The result will be the same if they face the chiefs and forget about the eagles.

At the end of the day what stopped them from driving down 1 time and taking the Super Bowl 2 years ago or the championship game last year? I mean in both games the defense gave them the ball 4-5 times in the second half of each to go down and end it. Improving defense is great but not the weakness of this team

It was the weakness and fall off in talent between starters and backups on the offensive line and imo that weakness still exists. Drafting another 2 wide receivers for what appears to now me a modified run and shoot offensive philosophy doesn’t work if the quarterback is having to throw the ball into the ground 2 times every set of downs. More utilization of A blocking tight end would help take the pressure off the edges but that’s not part of the run and shoot philosophy I guess

I get your argument. But I believe there’s a broader picture. Receiver wise Charlie Jones replaced Tyler Boyd that was an important pick. CBS says he was biggest steal and best pick.Myles Murphy was an important pick as our pass rush suffered depth wise when Trey Hendrickson went down. Plus he’s very versatile and I just posted that According to Arif Hasan's NFL Draft Industry Consensus Big Board Murphy was the consensus steal of the draft. DJ Turner had the 4th fastest 40 since 2003 at the combine. He adds depth, and Doug Fararr of Touchdown wire called him an A+ pick and immediate starter. At the worst his speed will be invaluable on special teams and the one of the best backup corners in the league. Jordan Battle was all about depth and value. He really helps depth and is all world locker room guy. Coming from Bama he’s groomed and Daniel Jeremiah predicts he’s a game 1 starter. Then we’ve got a battle and again at the worst the best backup safety in the league.

After that the picks were a punter with great hang time and extremely consistent. A tall fantastic athlete in WR Losivas. Chase Brown a RB was #33 on Bruce Feldman’s Freaks List. He was a great value.

What makes this draft excellent is it really added depth and I mean legit depth. It added speed. Everybody worried about starters. 20 games requires solid depth. Some teams have a great starting 22 but if there’s a huge drop off good luck in January.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 03:37 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I get your argument. But I believe there’s a broader picture. Receiver wise Charlie Jones replaced Tyler Boyd that was an important pick. CBS says he was biggest steal and best pick.Myles Murphy was an important pick as our pass rush suffered depth wise when Trey Hendrickson went down. Plus he’s very versatile and I just posted that According to Arif Hasan's NFL Draft Industry Consensus Big Board Murphy was the consensus steal of the draft. DJ Turner had the 4th fastest 40 since 2003 at the combine. He adds depth, and Doug Fararr of Touchdown wire called him an A+ pick and immediate starter. At the worst his speed will be invaluable on special teams and the one of the best backup corners in the league. Jordan Battle was all about depth and value. He really helps depth and is all world locker room guy. Coming from Bama he’s groomed and Daniel Jeremiah predicts he’s a game 1 starter. Then we’ve got a battle and again at the worst the best backup safety in the league.

After that the picks were a punter with great hang time and extremely consistent. A tall fantastic athlete in WR Losivas. Chase Brown a RB was #33 on Bruce Feldman’s Freaks List. He was a great value.

What makes this draft excellent is it really added depth and I mean legit depth. It added speed. Everybody worried about starters. 20 games requires solid depth. Some teams have a great starting 22 but if there’s a huge drop off good luck in January.

Why do I keep seeing people say that Jones is a replacement for Boyd? This absolutely nothing but speculation and really is not an outstanding fit. Jones played the majority of his snaps on the outside at Purdue and has really go return capabilities. If he is a replacement for anyone on this roster it would be for Trent Taylor. It seems like everyone has Boyd out the door already when it may not at all be the case.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 08:40 AM)Bronxbengal Wrote: I am so tired of hearing the b and moaning on this board about not getting a TE.  If Tobin and company hasn’t produced a championship caliber roster than I would get the persistent whining, but they have.  I trust their wisdom and plan.  There are only so many footballs that can go around.  I think someone said it best during the draft that the TE just needs to block and find the empty space in the defense.  Don’t need to waste a high draft pick for that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Bengals do utilize the tight end. Hayden Hurst, despite missing 3 games and part of another, was targeted 70 times last year, which was more targets than such TEs as Ertz, Kyle Pitts, Mike Gesicki, TJ Hokenson and many others. And Wilcox was targeted another 18.  And the TEs served in other roles as well: blocking, running routes, etc.  The Bengals do utilize a TE in their play schemes.

That Bengals fans, on a Bengals board, would like stability at the position, versus one-year rentals, is a valid concern. Likewise is the concern about the main TE on the team right now is a one-year rental who missed more than 40% of his previous games due to injury. Most fans are just concerned that in a tight-end heavy draft that the Bengals did not address the issue and probably are going to be looking once-again in the fall to add another one-year rental after players are cut, leaving the Bengals to hope they can get their first choices of cut TEs to sign with the Bengals rather than another team. Why have such a key position as a TE be a revolving door with learning the playbook each year?

I don't see the problem with Bengals fans having angst about the weakness of the TE group. Certainly many were justified in the past couple of years with expressing  angst about the depth on the OL, until that finally got addressed. And its not just Bengals fans: many pundits were very surprised the Bengals did not bolster their TE group in this latest draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 03:06 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I say A due to draft position. 

This is a point worth reinforcing. When you pick 28 you aren't getting the top talent. I'm happy that Duke, Zac, etc were patient and waited on getting talent in nearly every round.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 03:40 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Why do I keep seeing people say that Jones is a replacement for Boyd? This absolutely nothing but speculation and really is not an outstanding fit. Jones played the majority of his snaps on the outside at Purdue and has really go return capabilities. If he is a replacement for anyone on this roster it would be for Trent Taylor. It seems like everyone has Boyd out the door already when it may not at all be the case.

Probably because of this:

FOX19 Now Cincinnati: With Tyler Boyd entering the final season of his contract, the pick of Jones gives the Bengals a legit replacement for one of the best slot wide receivers in the NFL. Boyd turns 29 this year, and Jones has played seven seasons in Cincinnati.

https://atozsports.com/cincinnati/bengals-projecting-when-cincinnati-would-draft-a-wide-receiver/

Trevor Ruszkowski-USA TODAY Sports

Barring an injury to the top three wideouts, don’t bank on seeing much of Jones in 2023. He will be be groomed as Tyler Boyd‘s slot replacement once his contract expires following the season. Jones has natural hands and is a great route runner who excels vs. zone coverage. Joe Burrow will love throwing passes his way, and there’s some dynasty value here as a late-round addition to bolster roster depth.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 02:27 PM)Oasis5055 Wrote: Couldn’t agree more. Draft is a c at best for me because the glaring need was not addressed. Signing brown at left tackle is great but with an injured Williams and Collins overall for the line is is a wash.

Who is going to backup Kara’s Cappa if they go down? We saw sharping get man handled and burrow throwing in to the ground how many times. Ford and scharping are good against average. The result will be the same if they face the chiefs and forget about the eagles.

At the end of the day what stopped them from driving down 1 time and taking the Super Bowl 2 years ago or the championship game last year? I mean in both games the defense gave them the ball 4-5 times in the second half of each to go down and end it. Improving defense is great but not the weakness of this team

It was the weakness and fall off in talent between starters and backups on the offensive line and imo that weakness still exists. Drafting another 2 wide receivers for what appears to now me a modified run and shoot offensive philosophy doesn’t work if the quarterback is having to throw the ball into the ground 2 times every set of downs. More utilization of A blocking tight end would help take the pressure off the edges but that’s not part of the run and shoot philosophy I guess

So you have concerns about our OL depth and your solution is to throw draft picks at it in a bad OL class?  This was a bad OL class, especially at OT.  That's why they went out and got Orlando Brown and Ford in FA, re-signed Scharping, and haven't traded Jonah.  OL depth was addressed in FA so they didn't have to dip into this draft pool.

The reality is, NFL OL's are going to struggle when they have three starters missing.  Nobody has quality depth when you're rolling down to your 8th/9th guy off your bench.  Most good OL's have at least one backup caliber player in the starting lineup.  You're idea of depth really doesn't seem realistic.  
Reply/Quote
I went with B, I’d really say B+ or maybe A-. I’m very happy with the draft overall. Glad they addressed pass rush and secondary depth along with hopefully improving our WR depth which has been a concern of mine for a few years now. Got a punter too that looks good. Brown could end up being a really solid piece at RB too.

They went a different route than I would have expected in some cases-no OL, TE, smaller RB, etc but it’s clear their view of the team is different than a lot of the fan base including mine. I can see what they did here and appreciate that it definitely made our team better. Fans (myself included) just seem more worried about certain issues than the coaches who see these guys everyday (Mixon, TE which we don’t really use well enough to justify a first round pick or big FA contract, RT, etc).
Reply/Quote
A+ for our teeny tiny scouting department that has been given nothing but grief for years for being so teeny tiny.. Size matters, huh?  Cool
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 03:40 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Why do I keep seeing people say that Jones is a replacement for Boyd? This absolutely nothing but speculation and really is not an outstanding fit. Jones played the majority of his snaps on the outside at Purdue and has really go return capabilities. If he is a replacement for anyone on this roster it would be for Trent Taylor. It seems like everyone has Boyd out the door already when it may not at all be the case.

What sort of contract do you think Boyd will be looking for next year? What sort of contract have this version of the Bengals offered someone 30 years old? Boyd is gone after this year. 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 04:08 PM)Whatever Wrote: So you have concerns about our OL depth and your solution is to throw draft picks at it in a bad OL class?  This was a bad OL class, especially at OT.  That's why they went out and got Orlando Brown and Ford in FA, re-signed Scharping, and haven't traded Jonah.  OL depth was addressed in FA so they didn't have to dip into this draft pool.

The reality is, NFL OL's are going to struggle when they have three starters missing.  Nobody has quality depth when you're rolling down to your 8th/9th guy off your bench.  Most good OL's have at least one backup caliber player in the starting lineup.  You're idea of depth really doesn't seem realistic.  

I have 0 faith in the scouting departments ability to assess college OL and how they'll fair in the NFL. So I'm not as upset as some about not selecting OL although it definitely is still a need. We have no RT we can be confident in at this point and that is glaring considering the DEs we face in the AFC North.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 04:29 PM)TheFan Wrote: What sort of contract do you think Boyd will be looking for next year? What sort of contract have this version of the Bengals offered someone 30 years old? Boyd is gone after this year. 

Or retires as a Bengal and goes on to become the color commentator for Bengals games and becomes known as the lovable Bengals stuttering announcer..  Ninja
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 09:42 AM)OSUfan Wrote: I don't know why people fail to understand that the TE is not a star in offense that the Bengals employ. The TE needs to be an adequate blocker that can slip out and find a soft spot in the defense and be a safety valve for the QB. The TE in this offense is not an integral part of the receiving game. This offense centers around the WRs and the RB being an extension of the passing game. You would think that fans would consider the fact Taylor know his offense scheme better than they think they do.

I was hoping for a TE, but not getting one pretty much sent the message of what you just said. TE is not the priority in the system that fans wish it were. Over the years Bengal fans have wanted a big time TE --probably because for so long, other TE's killed us on the field and we wanted one of our own. Then we got Eifert, and it was like a tease of what could've been. Now with Burrow its so easy to think of what it could be like with our very own Kelce. The damage he could do with a TE! But in reality Zac has his system and he isnt looking for a pro bowl TE, and Neither is Burrow. They got this. The TE thing is to rest for me. 

I dig this draft and give it an A. Lots of talent.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 04:48 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I was hoping for a TE, but not getting one pretty much sent the message of what you just said. TE is not the priority in the system that fans wish it were. Over the years Bengal fans have wanted a big time TE --probably because for so long, other TE's killed us on the field and we wanted one of our own. Then we got Eifert, and it was like a tease of what could've been. Now with Burrow its so easy to think of what it could be like with our very own Kelce. The damage he could do with a TE! But in reality Zac has his system and he isnt looking for a pro bowl TE, and Neither is Burrow. They got this. The TE thing is to rest for me. 

I dig this draft and give it an A. Lots of talent.

PFF agreed.They gave it an A plus
Reply/Quote