B
C
D
F
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Grade The Draft
I would give it a B+. Very easily could become an A after a couple years to fully evaluate it.

I don’t dislike any of the picks they made. I was surprised by the battle pick as I thought safety wasn’t a high priority. But you can’t enough pass rushers and secondary depth.

I was surprised that they didn’t draft a tight end or oline, especially on the interior. And spare me yet another lecture about how unimportant the te position is in the offense. With most of the tight ends we’ve had they should be unimportant. I bet a Travis kelce type player would change the dynamic but I digress.

I wonder if tycen anderson might eventually move to linebacker with his size and the depth we have at those positions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 07:01 PM)TheFan Wrote: Of the three teams you mentioned only 2 even had a QB and he had 0 weapons which lead to him wanting to leave. Obviously an OL isn't the only factor but it helps. We were as close to losing to Huntley as you can get and thats mostly because of the OL. 

You don't hear coaches say that about other positions. You hear them say it about OL and DL. Again, I don't dislike the draft and gave it a B,but no OL or TE, which were two areas of need, is a negative by everyone pre-draft is a negative. I'm not going to give them an A just because the Bengals drafted the players. 

Almost never does an OL make it through an entire season.

Two had MVP QB's, actually.  Everything helps.  Nobody is saying the OL isn't important, but you can't dump all of your resources there either.  We almost lost to a division rival that played their backups against us the week before to scout us in what for us was a must win game for us.  And we were down, what, 3 starters on the OL during that game?

I hear coaches say it about pass rushers and corners, specifically.  I've never heard one say it about offensive linemen.  Perhaps since you asked me to name some teams that had top OL's that weren't contenders, maybe you could list some NFL head coaches who've said that?  If we hadn't added a quality starter and a depth piece in FA, you could argue it was a need.  The guy Chris Smith abused in the AFCCG probably doesn't even make the roster at this point.  

Almost never are you down three starting OL with a fourth playing hurt in the playoffs, either.  
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 11:03 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I would give it a B+. Very easily could become an A after a couple years to fully evaluate it.

I don’t dislike any of the picks they made. I was surprised by the battle pick as I thought safety wasn’t a high priority. But you can’t enough pass rushers and secondary depth.

I was surprised that they didn’t draft a tight end or oline, especially on the interior. And spare me yet another lecture about how unimportant the te position is in the offense. With most of the tight ends we’ve had they should be unimportant. I bet a Travis kelce type player would change the dynamic but I digress.

I wonder if tycen anderson might eventually move to linebacker with his size and the depth we have at those positions

A Travis kelce type player is more rare than a jamar chase type. FYI.

Kelce has 7, 1000+ yard seasons.

Next closest is gronk, witten and gonzo with 4 each.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 12:53 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: A Travis kelce type player is more rare than a jamar chase type. FYI.

Kelce has 7, 1000+ yard seasons.

Next closest is gronk, witten and gonzo with 4 each.

I think you get the gyst of my post.

Reply/Quote
Definitely a B.

It was a solid draft. I think Turner will wind up being a starter next season. I feel like him and CTB could be our new Hall and Joseph tandem. 

Iosivas is the pick I'm most excited about simply because he's the type of lottery pick I've been wanting the team to take for a while. I'd say let Walters refine him and he can become a very nice player for us. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I gave it an A due to the focus on defense...especially the secondary. :)
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
I gave it a B, but the entire offseason is an A- with a chamce ti become an A.

I have zero issues with the players they picked, where they picked them, and why. Love them all. If you go back and look at what the picks would have been if they took Mayer in the 1st, for example, this draft class is nowhere near as good.

They lose a letter grade from me because I think they should have moved Jonah for literally anything, freeing up cap space. I also think that there is no defined, reliable, long term answer at RT. They have a broken Collins, a ? Carman, & a guy who doesn't even want to be there in Williams.

I also think the Bengals were maneuverd in front of a few times - or guys were picked earlier than they had thought, which caught them off guard.... Like the RT from William & Mary, Colby Sorsdal, going in the 5th to the Lions. I believe THAT was going to be their pick at end of 6th instead of the punter.

I also would have like the DT from TX or another RB (Valladay) in the 7th instead of the random CB. The DT makes more sense to me than a CB way down the depth chart.
Reply/Quote
I said A, mostly because they stuck to their board and did not reach or panic. Not getting a TE doesn't bother me, i'd rather they pick defense over TE. We are going to end up paying a lot of money to the offense, so we need to replenish defense with high draft picks. Helps keep us in contention longer than just a few years.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 12:19 AM)Whatever Wrote: Two had MVP QB's, actually.  Everything helps.  Nobody is saying the OL isn't important, but you can't dump all of your resources there either.  We almost lost to a division rival that played their backups against us the week before to scout us in what for us was a must win game for us.  And we were down, what, 3 starters on the OL during that game?

I hear coaches say it about pass rushers and corners, specifically.  I've never heard one say it about offensive linemen.  Perhaps since you asked me to name some teams that had top OL's that weren't contenders, maybe you could list some NFL head coaches who've said that?  If we hadn't added a quality starter and a depth piece in FA, you could argue it was a need.  The guy Chris Smith abused in the AFCCG probably doesn't even make the roster at this point.  

Almost never are you down three starting OL with a fourth playing hurt in the playoffs, either.  

Duke Tobin talked about it in interviews a couple months ago. I'm not going to go back to listen to all interviews to give you names but I know I've heard others talk about it as well as pod cast folks talk about coaches saying it over and over again. Watson was a shell of himself and Lamar was hurt, so I wouldn't call that 2 MVPs since Huntley was playing. 

Again, not unhappy with the draft, but think RT is still an issue which is what my original post said (I think, was kinda drunk).
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 02:26 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Did we just find the missing pieces that help us win it all? Or did we totally blow it?

What say ye?

I think the draft won't have a great impact in 2023 unlike the Orlando deal and upgrading the RT with either Carman or Williams.  This draft should impact 2024 and beyond.  To repeat in AFC title game in 2023 the Bengals need health at the Oline more than anything else, draft didn't affect that.  We need a few more sacks and hits on Mahomes at key moments, the draft might marginally affect that.  The punter pick could be the most influential for a repeat, if he can deliver like a young Kevin Huber.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 09:57 AM)TheFan Wrote: Duke Tobin talked about it in interviews a couple months ago. I'm not going to go back to listen to all interviews to give you names but I know I've heard others talk about it as well as pod cast folks talk about coaches saying it over and over again. Watson was a shell of himself and Lamar was hurt, so I wouldn't call that 2 MVPs since Huntley was playing. 

Again, not unhappy with the draft, but think RT is still an issue which is what my original post said. 

Tobin's comments were actually that it was a grind finding enough OL because colleges and the NFL don't have enough, not that you can't have enough.  So, in Tobin's opinion, you actually can have enough.

I'm not going to say anyone has to give this draft a particular grade.  I think the lack of a TE is a fair criticism, although there's really not one I would have taken over the player we would up getting at a certain pick in a vacuum.  I just don't get the OL depth comments.  A lot of teams would love to be in a position where Lael Collins/Jonah Williams is the first guy off their bench and a guy who played as well as Carman did in the playoffs is the second.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 11:34 AM)Whatever Wrote: Tobin's comments were actually that it was a grind finding enough OL because colleges and the NFL don't have enough, not that you can't have enough.  So, in Tobin's opinion, you actually can have enough.

I'm not going to say anyone has to give this draft a particular grade.  I think the lack of a TE is a fair criticism, although there's really not one I would have taken over the player we would up getting at a certain pick in a vacuum.  I just don't get the OL depth comments.  A lot of teams would love to be in a position where Lael Collins/Jonah Williams is the first guy off their bench and a guy who played as well as Carman did in the playoffs is the second.

I thought he also said something to the effect of taking chances with them because it's hard to evaluate. So the more you try the better chance of hitting. Maybe that's just how I interpreted it though. 

We will see what Williams brings. I know a few evaluators indicated concerns coming out about whether he would be better inside/RT than staying LT. It's been a long time since he played RT though and obviously has had injuries slowing him down. Collins being back any time soon I think is more of a hope than reality. He tore his knee up pretty late in the season. I like Carman and hope he can continue proving himself. He was really young coming out which I think gets lost to some. 
Reply/Quote
A- Didn't like the last pick because some said they saw Ivey play and he was meh, was hoping for some better UDFA's but I
love Kirkland. Every pick besides the Ivey pick was pretty much knocking it out of the park. All should contribute down the
road and considering we were picking at the end of every round it was an excellent Draft.

Every round it seemed like all the players I wanted were going right ahead of our pick. Good job not panicking.
Reply/Quote
We addressed needs at safety, punter, and WR, while stacking the defense with another edge rusher and cornerback. The defense has the depth and youth to be dominant for a long time, especially if we re-sign Logan Wilson. However, we failed to address the shaky oline and RB situations. Overall it’s a B+. 5 of the picks could make an impact this year.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 12:19 AM)Whatever Wrote: Two had MVP QB's, actually.  Everything helps.  Nobody is saying the OL isn't important, but you can't dump all of your resources there either.  We almost lost to a division rival that played their backups against us the week before to scout us in what for us was a must win game for us.  And we were down, what, 3 starters on the OL during that game?

The number of times I saw Kelce open game after game, almost made me start questioning if the NFL was rigged after all. lol
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 01:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: A- Didn't like the last pick because some said they saw Ivey play and he was meh, was hoping for some better UDFA's but I
love Kirkland. Every pick besides the Ivey pick was pretty much knocking it out of the park. All should contribute down the
road and considering we were picking at the end of every round it was an excellent Draft.

Every round it seemed like all the players I wanted were going right ahead of our pick. Good job not panicking.

Sounds like some folks are giving Ivey a back rap. I mean the kid has some real talent for being a 7th round CB. Good size, speed, and length and played with a big time program so he comes with good experience. Seems to have some ball skills as well. This is a highlight tape but gives you some indication of abilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8oRx7qxXdw
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 04:46 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Sounds like some folks are giving Ivey a back rap. I mean the kid has some real talent for being a 7th round CB. Good size, speed, and length and played with a big time program so he comes with good experience. Seems to have some ball skills as well. This is a highlight tape but gives you some indication of abilities.

I think it is fair criticism. His consensus prospect ranking was un-draftable, well into the 400s. However, he was also a late 7th round pick. They took a flyer on him. If he doesn't work out (likely) then it is minimal investment. The inverse is obviously great value. I don't get too up in arms over 7th rounders. 
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 04:46 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Sounds like some folks are giving Ivey a back rap. I mean the kid has some real talent for being a 7th round CB. Good size, speed, and length and played with a big time program so he comes with good experience. Seems to have some ball skills as well. This is a highlight tape but gives you some indication of abilities.

Thanks for the highlight vid. Looks good in those, I never watched Ivie play before so I was just going off of what other posters 
said who saw him play. I trust in the coaches on Ivey, he looks to tackle well and can turn his hips and go after the ball. Like you 
said, he has good size, speed and length. I just wanted another RB or TE in the 7th but understand taking Ivey more now.

Getting Kirkland and Shedrick Jackson as UDFA's makes me happy, really like these guys, especially Kirkland. I watched him play
quite a bit and he is a big sumbitch that can maul people.
Reply/Quote
Really like this guys take:

Pete Prisco CBS Sports Cincinnati Bengals: A
Best Pick: I like second-round corner D.J. Turner from Michigan. He is fast and can fit into Lou Anarumo's scheme. They are getting younger and cheaper in the secondary, which they had to do. That works.

Worst Pick: I really liked their draft, so it's nitpicking when I say what I didn't like was them not picking an offensive lineman. They need more help up front, so that's the only flaw of this draft. You can never have enough big people to protect Joe Burrow.

The Skinny: Duke Tobin, the Bengals' director of player personnel, knew that his defense had to be replenished for a chance to get to the Super Bowl. Plus, they need cheap guys to help save money to pay the explosive offensive players. He did just that. He added a pass rusher in Myles Murphy, a fast corner in Turner and a smart safety in Jordan Battle. That's how you keep a team moving forward, especially one with a dynamic offense. Well done.

I also liked the Sporting News guy:
7. Cincinnati Bengals

Grade: A
Draft picks: EDGE Myles Murphy, CB D.J. Turner, S Jordan Battle, WR Charlie Jones, RB Chase Brown, WR Andre Iosivas, P Brad Robbins, WR D.J. Ivey

Analysis: The Bengals "let the draft come to them" for Duke Tobin and his scouting staff. It was only a mild surprise they want defense-first to help Lou Anarumo, but Murphy was a great first-round value to further their pass rush. Turner and Battle also can have key coverage roles right away, given some free-agent departures. Jones, a possession-based slot, as well as Iosivas, is thinking ahead to losing Tyler Boyd in 2024, while Brown gives them a nice option to pivot away from Joe Mixon soon.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Also Taylor took his kids to the Big House this year for the Nebraska game during the bye week. I’m pretty sure he was a guest of the Nebraska AD and was on the sideline. I bet he gets another offer this year LOL but from the Michigan AD LOL
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote