B
C
D
F
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Grade The Draft
McShay at Four Letter picked the best value pick for each team. He picked DJ Turner at 60 fir us.

Also, he made mention of Jones & Brown as good value late. Mentioning additional picks was not something he did for every team.

For me, in terms if Day 3 receivers, Jones was my favorite slot guy and Iosivas my favorite project guy. And I liked Brown the most of sny Day 3 backs other than Abanikanda.

Murphy was a solid pick and I liked getting a punter upgrade in Rd 6. Though we could have gambled & took Trice or Vorhees in Rd 6 and gone punter in 7. I get getting your guy. Punter will impact us more than CB5 or an injured IOL.

My only mild beef was in Rd3.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 04:32 PM)TheFan Wrote: I have 0 faith in the scouting departments ability to assess college OL and how they'll fair in the NFL. So I'm not as upset as some about not selecting OL although it definitely is still a need. We have no RT we can be confident in at this point and that is glaring considering the DEs we face in the AFC North.

There are pretty high odds that between Jonah, Collins, Carman, and Ford at least one of them can play RT at a serviceable level.  Even though Collins struggled with injury last year, we were still a SB contender.  More OL help is a want right now, not a need.  You can overcommit resources to the OL to make sure it's bulletproof even if you have to play all five backups, but then you aren't a contender because you don't have enough talent at the other position groups. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 05:02 PM)bengalsboy Wrote: PFF agreed.They gave it an A plus

PFF gave it an A, not an A plus.  NFL.com and Sporting News gave it an A minus.  USA Today and Fox Sports gave it a B. NBC gave it a B minus. 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 05:04 PM)Whatever Wrote: There are pretty high odds that between Jonah, Collins, Carman, and Ford at least one of them can play RT at a serviceable level.  Even though Collins struggled with injury last year, we were still a SB contender.  More OL help is a want right now, not a need.  You can overcommit resources to the OL to make sure it's bulletproof even if you have to play all five backups, but then you aren't a contender because you don't have enough talent at the other position groups. 

What team has had a top OL and not been a contender? I would say that's pretty rare. All you ever hear coaches say is you cant have enough good OL. 

Collins is coming off major surgery late last season so mostly likely still out most of next year, Jonah hasn't played RT in 5+ years, Ford has been bad since in the NFL. Carman showed well at LT (his natural position...) the last couple games last year but struggled at the other positions the Bengals have forced on him so I'm not sure why we'd feel good about him trying RT. 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 05:17 PM)TheFan Wrote: What team has had a top OL and not been a contender? I would say that's pretty rare. All you ever hear coaches say is you cant have enough good OL. 

The Browns consistently over the last 4 or 5 seasons lol. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
This draft was incredible. They added a pass rusher with huge upside, a talented corner that will eventually start, a safety that could be the next Vonn Bell, 2 fast wideouts - one who will help right away - a RB who will contribute this year and is capable of being a future starter, and a punter with great hang time,, and another corner who is pretty nice for a 7th rounder.

Not sure why anyone would be crapping on this draft,, unless it's just because they didn't take the guys or positions you wanted. I wanted them to take a TE and C-G type, but the fact they didn't doesn't take away from this draft for me. They still landed talent, speed, depth, future staters, special teams help,, what's not to like?

I give it an a solid A.
Reply/Quote
I gave it a B. Because of no TE, none of my personal favs (aside from Turner and Brown),and no LB. We have 4 free agent LBs next year and nothing invested in the pipeline at that position.

But it's easy to see an A. This draft was deep on the DL and Secondary and we took advantage. Top 10 type talent DE at 28. First round CB skill set in the 2nd. To some the best safety in the draft in the 3rd. Then in the 4th you ad a guy who led the country in receptions and was a special teams player of the year the prior year. Then in the 5th adding one of the leading rushers in the country who had the 3rd most all purpose yards and 2nd most broken tackles just behind Bijan the top 10 RB in both categories. Then in the 6th we get to add a WR with enormous upside who may have been the best athlete in the draft and a punter with the best hang time in college football two years in a row. And in the 7th idk. Some kind of super sleeper stud CB I imagine.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 05:20 PM)Synric Wrote: The Browns consistently over the last 4 or 5 seasons lol. 

So 1 -2 teams. Like I said, pretty rare. They won 7 games and that's with them not even having a QB most of the year. Baker Mayfield won them a playoff game. That how much difference an OL can make. 

When we had a good OL and Dalton we made the playoffs 5 years in a row. When we had a bad OL and Dalton we drafted Burrow the next year. 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 05:17 PM)TheFan Wrote: What team has had a top OL and not been a contender? I would say that's pretty rare. All you ever hear coaches say is you cant have enough good OL. 

Collins is coming off major surgery late last season so mostly likely still out most of next year, Jonah hasn't played RT in 5+ years, Ford has been bad since in the NFL. Carman showed well at LT (his natural position...) the last couple games last year but struggled at the other positions the Bengals have forced on him so I'm not sure why we'd feel good about him trying RT. 

Green Bay had the 2 time defending defending MVP at QB and PFF's 3rd best OL last year and didn't even sniff the playoffs.  Baltimore was #2 and were a one and done WC team.  How many years did the Browns have stacked OL's?  I can go on and on.  You'll hear coaches say the same about every position.  Thing is, other positions rotate based on personnel packages and to give players a rest.  OL don't.  You at least get something out of having a lot of quality depth at other position groups, like RB or DL.  You can invest a ton in your OL depth and it can wind up making zero difference if the starters stay healthy.  

Collins has stated that he is hoping to be ready for the start of the season.  Carman didn't allow a sack in 462 snaps played at RG as a rookie.  There's very little to make one think he's just going to go out there and get Burrow killed if he winds up the starter.  Jonah is playing for a contract.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 06:11 PM)Whatever Wrote: Green Bay had the 2 time defending defending MVP at QB and PFF's 3rd best OL last year and didn't even sniff the playoffs.  Baltimore was #2 and were a one and done WC team.  How many years did the Browns have stacked OL's?  I can go on and on.  You'll hear coaches say the same about every position.  Thing is, other positions rotate based on personnel packages and to give players a rest.  OL don't.  You at least get something out of having a lot of quality depth at other position groups, like RB or DL.  You can invest a ton in your OL depth and it can wind up making zero difference if the starters stay healthy.  

Collins has stated that he is hoping to be ready for the start of the season.  Carman didn't allow a sack in 462 snaps played at RG as a rookie.  There's very little to make one think he's just going to go out there and get Burrow killed if he winds up the starter.  Jonah is playing for a contract.

And that’s good analysis
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 05:04 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: McShay at Four Letter picked the best value pick for each team. He picked DJ Turner at 60 fir us.

Also, he made mention of Jones & Brown as good value late. Mentioning additional picks was not something he did for every team.

For me, in terms if Day 3 receivers, Jones was my favorite slot guy and Iosivas my favorite project guy. And I liked Brown the most of sny Day 3 backs other than Abanikanda.

Murphy was a solid pick and I liked getting a punter upgrade in Rd 6. Though we could have gambled & took Trice or Vorhees in Rd 6 and gone punter in 7. I get getting your guy. Punter will impact us more than CB5 or an injured IOL.

My only mild beef was in Rd3.

https://sports.yahoo.com/grades-given-bengals-following-draft-135451211.html

I was impressed that the NFL Draft Industry Consensus Big Board, which accounts for 70 different big boards named Murphy the steal of the draft in the first round.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Ryan Harris was on Sirius today breaking down the drafts. He had us among the best. His favorite pick Charlie Jones. He also said Murphy was THE most NFL ready DE in the draft. Stated when he rushes he has the ability to "pick a side" against the OT and that's rare for a college player
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 06:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Ryan Harris was on Sirius today breaking down the drafts. He had us among the best. His favorite pick Charlie Jones. He also said Murphy was THE most NFL ready DE in the draft. Stated when he rushes he has the ability to "pick a side" against the OT and that's rare for a college player

I was listening to that as well. I was happy with the draft yesterday and I am getting more and more excited as the day goes on.I think they have done a great job.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 06:11 PM)Whatever Wrote: Green Bay had the 2 time defending defending MVP at QB and PFF's 3rd best OL last year and didn't even sniff the playoffs.  Baltimore was #2 and were a one and done WC team.  How many years did the Browns have stacked OL's?  I can go on and on.  You'll hear coaches say the same about every position.  Thing is, other positions rotate based on personnel packages and to give players a rest.  OL don't.  You at least get something out of having a lot of quality depth at other position groups, like RB or DL.  You can invest a ton in your OL depth and it can wind up making zero difference if the starters stay healthy.  

Of the three teams you mentioned only 2 even had a QB and he had 0 weapons which lead to him wanting to leave. Obviously an OL isn't the only factor but it helps. We were as close to losing to Huntley as you can get and thats mostly because of the OL. 

You don't hear coaches say that about other positions. You hear them say it about OL and DL. Again, I don't dislike the draft and gave it a B,but no OL or TE, which were two areas of need, is a negative by everyone pre-draft is a negative. I'm not going to give them an A just because the Bengals drafted the players. 

Almost never does an OL make it through an entire season.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 04:01 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Probably because of this:

FOX19 Now Cincinnati: With Tyler Boyd entering the final season of his contract, the pick of Jones gives the Bengals a legit replacement for one of the best slot wide receivers in the NFL. Boyd turns 29 this year, and Jones has played seven seasons in Cincinnati.

https://atozsports.com/cincinnati/bengals-projecting-when-cincinnati-would-draft-a-wide-receiver/

Trevor Ruszkowski-USA TODAY Sports

Barring an injury to the top three wideouts, don’t bank on seeing much of Jones in 2023. He will be be groomed as Tyler Boyd‘s slot replacement once his contract expires following the season. Jones has natural hands and is a great route runner who excels vs. zone coverage. Joe Burrow will love throwing passes his way, and there’s some dynasty value here as a late-round addition to bolster roster depth.

I am not saying he could not play the slot but I am not crowning him the Tyler Boyd replacement because three reporters called him that.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 03:44 PM)Nepa Wrote: The Bengals do utilize the tight end. Hayden Hurst, despite missing 3 games and part of another, was targeted 70 times last year, which was more targets than such TEs as Ertz, Kyle Pitts, Mike Gesicki, TJ Hokenson and many others. And Wilcox was targeted another 18.  And the TEs served in other roles as well: blocking, running routes, etc.  The Bengals do utilize a TE in their play schemes.

That Bengals fans, on a Bengals board, would like stability at the position, versus one-year rentals, is a valid concern. Likewise is the concern about the main TE on the team right now is a one-year rental who missed more than 40% of his previous games due to injury. Most fans are just concerned that in a tight-end heavy draft that the Bengals did not address the issue and probably are going to be looking once-again in the fall to add another one-year rental after players are cut, leaving the Bengals to hope they can get their first choices of cut TEs to sign with the Bengals rather than another team. Why have such a key position as a TE be a revolving door with learning the playbook each year?

I don't see the problem with Bengals fans having angst about the weakness of the TE group. Certainly many were justified in the past couple of years with expressing  angst about the depth on the OL, until that finally got addressed. And its not just Bengals fans: many pundits were very surprised the Bengals did not bolster their TE group in this latest draft.

The TE group they currently have fit how they use the TE perfectly fine. I will also continue to point out a fact that everyone complaining about TE seems to avoid and that is the 4 game stretch in '22 where the Bengals were missing TE1 and TE2 and won all 4 games. The Bengals simply need a TE that can function within their scheme and do the things they ask that TE to do. The TE is not a star in the scheme of the offense.

If the group they have do not fit what they need or if they felt they needed to upgrade the position do you really think they would have passed on everyone of the TEs in this draft? Maybe there is a reason you have more angst about the position than the coaching staff does.
Reply/Quote
I choosed B mostly because I don't watch college sports and I have no clue who these guys are and I had to make a choice but welcome to the Jungle !

I'll know you as pros.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 07:35 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: I choosed B mostly because I don't watch college sports and I have no clue who these guys are and I had to make a choice but welcome to the Jungle !

I'll know you as pros.

I'm very much the same. I don't have much free time, so I only watch the NFL. Having said that, I'm excited to learn about these players following every draft and what they may bring to the team. This class seems to be extremely athletic from what I've heard thus far.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 07:22 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I am not saying he could not play the slot but I am not crowning him the Tyler Boyd replacement because three reporters called him that.

Why do I keep seeing people say that Jones is a replacement for Boyd?

This is what you said. I just pulled four prominent media people. More are talking about it. Of course there are no guarantees

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 09:50 AM)BengalBob Wrote: A-

Great draft.  Managed to pick BPA at premium positions the 1st two rounds.  Able to select at least 3 solid starters for the future while getting immediate help for next year.

This is how I see it.

And the coaches/FO seemed very happy.  That's an A for me.
Reply/Quote