C+
C
C-
Awful
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grade The Mims Pick!
(04-26-2024, 01:59 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'm going to give it a B for now. There are only two reasons for that grade. A) the team's track record with oline is um.....well, we all know. B) The lack of game experience. If not for those two things, it'd be an A at least for me. I love the intangibles, I love the athleticism, and I love the limited tape. Let's revisit when we see him in action.

This is pretty much my take as well. His lack of PT at the collegiate level and this organizations track record with OTs scares the hell out of me with this pick. 
Reply/Quote
Right now, I give it a solid B...and hopefully in a couple of years, I'm changing that to an A+.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 02:10 PM)Nepa Wrote: If Mims hits, and becomes a probowl/all-pro, I'll have to give you major kudos. More than anyone, you've been banging the drum for him for a few weeks now. Definitely moved me from skeptical to enthusiastic. Of course, if he doesn't .....

We will see Nepa. All I know is I didn't want Mims early because of the lack of snaps and then I watched his film and saw a very 
special player. Very nimble, with great balance, crazy athletic, not going to be pushed around. Mims is everything that Jonah Williams
is not and is very smart on top of it. Garrett and Twatt are going to have problems with Amarius Mims if he can stay healthy.

They aren't going to rag doll this guy.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 01:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Went with an A, why not an A+? The lack of snaps is all. As far as upside there wasn't anyone close in my opinion. But Pollack 
makes me wonder if Mims is polished enough, the film says Mims is polished enough though. We will see, Mims was by far my 
favorite pick with Murphy off the board even if I liked Fautanu for us as well. Being a bit dinged up and lack of snaps are the
only things keeping this pick from being an A+ IMO.

I would of been sad if we passed on Mims, too excited to see him become a great player. We might never see a talent like this
again, as we will probably be picking at the end of the first for the foreseeable future. 6'8" 340 pound athletic freak with smarts
and great balance?

You just don't see this often at all at 18. I am happy we got Amarius Mims. The age of Amarius it is lol

I get the lack of snaps but, like I said, I think he has the ability to have the best career, and I'm not just talking about "potential," because you'll hear teams draft a guy on his "potential" and he doesn't do shit.

I was so tempted to mention Pollack and how he could damage Mims development, but let's hope Mims is either good enough to develop more and perform well on his own, Pollack learned to coach in the offseason, or Pollack gets the can before next season when Mims becomes a starting tackle.

Here's to the Browns holding it down this season and then Mims starting his dominant career next year!
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 02:27 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I get the lack of snaps but, like I said, I think he has the ability to have the best career, and I'm not just talking about "potential," because you'll hear teams draft a guy on his "potential" and he doesn't do shit.

I was so tempted to mention Pollack and how he could damage Mims development, but let's hope Mims is either good enough to develop more and perform well on his own, Pollack learned to coach in the offseason, or Pollack gets the can before next season when Mims becomes a starting tackle.

Here's to the Browns holding it down this season and then Mims starting his dominant career next year!

And, again, the Bengals have added to the staff the former Vikings assistant OL coach (Justin Rascati), who may bring a fresh perspective to the position, as well as another offensive assistant (Jordan Salkin). It's  not like Taylor is ignoring the problem. I think he has brought in fresh eyes that can help the OL's play.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 01:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I went B+.

The potential and the tape on the limited games is A. No doubt about it.
The only ding is only starting for 8 games due to not supplanting guys in front of him prior to 2023, and then getting dinged up with injuries that kept him from playing some of the season.
If he had 20+ starts, it'd have been an A, if not A+.

Anything in the B range means I like the pick.

If he had 20+ starts with the same game tape, he would have been the first OT off the board.  In the long run, his lack of game tape may well have won us the lottery.
Reply/Quote
[Image: rg8K80g.gif]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 02:27 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I get the lack of snaps but, like I said, I think he has the ability to have the best career, and I'm not just talking about "potential," because you'll hear teams draft a guy on his "potential" and he doesn't do shit.

Cheers to that Brad.Cheers

Going to watch some Mims film in a bit and get pumped for the future. The film doesn't lie, Mims is good, really good.

(04-26-2024, 02:32 PM)Nepa Wrote: And, again, the Bengals have added to the staff the former Vikings assistant OL coach (Justin Rascati), who may bring a fresh perspective to the position, as well as another offensive assistant (Jordan Salkin). It's  not like Taylor is ignoring the problem. I think he has brought in fresh eyes that can help the OL's play.

Yep, these could be very underrated moves this Offseason. Really like Rascati and Salkin and what they have done in their careers.

(04-26-2024, 02:33 PM)BengalFanInCanada Wrote: If he had 20+ starts with the same game tape, he would have been the first OT off the board.  In the long run, his lack of game tape may well have won us the lottery.

For sure, honestly was surprised Latham got took as high as he did with his heavy feet, penalties and not doing the workouts.

I had a lot more questions with Latham than Mims.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 02:12 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: This is pretty much my take as well. His lack of PT at the collegiate level and this organizations track record with OTs scares the hell out of me with this pick. 

Yeah, this kid's potential, talent, smarts, and physical build just fly off the charts. There's just those two pesky issues.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 02:33 PM)BengalFanInCanada Wrote: If he had 20+ starts with the same game tape, he would have been the first OT off the board.  In the long run, his lack of game tape may well have won us the lottery.

Well yea, or depending on the remainder of those 20+ starts went, it might have knocked him out of the 1st round.
That's the gamble.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

The only ding is only starting for 8 games due to not supplanting guys in front of him prior to 2023, and then getting dinged up with injuries that kept him from playing some of the season.

My exact thoughts and grade. A to A+ is mostly a sure thing. I don’t think Mims is. The first pick is the first pick. It’s also the best pick # we’ve had or will have in the future. But… I’m excited.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 02:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Well yea, or depending on the remainder of those 20+ starts went, it might have knocked him out of the 1st round.
That's the gamble.

Not if he played the same as he did in his limited snaps, the film don't lie, Mims was really good.

It would be different if he looked bad at times in the limited film. Then I would understand. Guyton for example did not impress 
me at all in his film and he is getting great grades for the Cowboys.
Reply/Quote
C

Don’t know much on him. Can’t be a lot of tape. 8 games. Ancle injury and a very big man questionable

My biggest concern Is our history on 1st round OL draft picks how many are still on the team after 4 or 5 years?

I love e keep trying to protect Joe

Might be time to get. Ew ok scouts
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 02:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Not if he played the same as he did in his limited snaps, the film don't lie, Mims was really good.

It would be different if he looked bad at times in the limited film. Then I would understand. Guyton for example did not impress 
me at all in his film and he is getting great grades for the Cowboys.

Well yes, obviously.
But is the performance due to a smaller sample set and with more reps opponents would have found more ways to beat him?
It's possible.
That's what I meant by gamble going with someone with single-digit starts in college career.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I feel like an A right now. I guess that's what counts. There's some risk, but there's some risk with everyone. More importantly what it means. We're finally investing in OL like good teams do.

Another bonus is there's absolutely no chance he would have fallen to pick ~30 (i.e., where this team should have been had they been healthy). So I feel like we've taken advantage of our spot. Good teams do that too.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 03:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Well yes, obviously.
But is the performance due to a smaller sample set and with more reps opponents would have found more ways to beat him?
It's possible.
That's what I meant by gamble going with someone with single-digit starts in college career.

Honestly when I watch Mims I don't see many weaknesses. He is athletic enough to handle speed, he doesn't have heavy feet like 
Latham, he is strong enough to handle power. But you very well could be correct and with more film to study Defenders could find 
something. It is a gamble to draft a Tackle with single digit starts, but so is drafting Latham with his heavy feet, penalty problems 
and him skipping workouts.
Reply/Quote
A+. For the Bengals an A+ every day of the week. Finally assembling some size and style to the OL. Giant athlete with huge upside to add the the Joey B protection squad. Crazy if you’re not excited about that.
Reply/Quote

If he had 20+ starts he would have been the 5th pick in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 03:34 PM)PDub80 Wrote: If he had 20+ starts he would have been the 5th pick in the draft.

Only if he performed the way he did in his 8 starts through 20+ starts.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
A-

There is risk with a player with limited playing time in college, especially since that was partially due to an injury that he aggravated a few times during the season and during the off season.

But the upside is so high, the grade must start with an A. A B would be disrespectful to the potential he has.
Reply/Quote