C+
C
C-
Awful
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grade The Mims Pick!
It's a good pick. He's talented, athletic (sorely lacking on our O line), he's smart, and he's ******' big. This kid could be a home run... I'ma give the pick itself an A, and the player gets an incomplete as everyone drafted today and tomorrow will receive the same I.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
The big question is does he know the secret to pouring ketchup on his food?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
I voted B+. He is a first round talent and he (hopefully) won't need to start immediately. If I had more faith in Pollack, I would like the pick more. Trent Brown has averaged 700 snaps per season; full-time is ~1000 snaps. IMO Trent Brown is highly unlikely to be extensively used in the preseason or fully participate in weekday practices during the season.

Therefore the Bengals should know by the end of the year what they have in Mims.
Reply/Quote
B+ because it's still Pollack as his OL Coach.

I wish once Bowers fell out of the top-10 we had jumped up to 12 or so to get him, but I also do appreciate getting big and athletic at OL.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 01:59 PM)CottonHill Wrote: This where you need to chill. Just two years ago Trevor Penning went 18th overall. Besides about 20 pounds and longer arms, Penning is a comparable, athlete and actually faster, stronger and a better jumper. And of course, he has injury issues and has been a non factor. 

Penning was a zero star recruit that went to Northern Iowa.  

Mims was a 5 star that acquired a top notch learning foundation at Georgia.

If people are going to spout silly stuff Im here to educate.

Reply/Quote
Folks know I'm one of the most optimistic posters around, but I cannot pretend I like the pick just because the Bengals made it.

My comp to Mims has been Greg Robinson and he didn't work out. Combine that with my "dream pick" Troy Fautanu going to PIT and it was not a night where things went my way. We can spend 10 more pages arguing positives and negatives but know there are plenty of both.

But like everyone else, just my opinion; hope he becomes the next Jonathan Ogden.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
My concern is that here's another draft pick with injuries. Let's hope we don't have another Cedric.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 05:56 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: My concern is that here's another draft pick with injuries. Let's hope we don't have another Cedric.

OMG he is not injured!!! He's healthy AF
Reply/Quote
I gave the pick an A+. It was absolutely the right pick, at the right time.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 05:50 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Penning was a zero star recruit that went to Northern Iowa.  

Exactly, dumb comparison.
Reply/Quote
Went B+.

Clearly not BPA. Either corner would have been fantastic. *shrugs*
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 06:41 PM)Stewy Wrote: Went B+.

Clearly not BPA.  Either corner would have been fantastic.  *shrugs*

Protecting Burrow is much more important.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 01:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I went B+.

The potential and the tape on the limited games is A. No doubt about it.
The only ding is only starting for 8 games due to not supplanting guys in front of him prior to 2023, and then getting dinged up with injuries that kept him from playing some of the season.
If he had 20+ starts, it'd have been an A, if not A+.

Anything in the B range means I like the pick.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts, except. I went A- because 1. Our depth is not good 2. We mostly lost a SB and an AFCCG because our Oline spit the bit.

Fingers crossed the lack of snaps don't hurt to much.
Reply/Quote
I

I don't know. It's been less than 24 hours. Andre Smith was graded different as time went on, for sure.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 06:56 PM)Destro Wrote: I

I don't know. It's been less than 24 hours. Andre Smith was graded different as time went on, for sure.

I think grades at this point for me mean as we know them right now, the player, the fit and the need.  Which lead me to a B+.

Projecting what they will become in 3-4 years?  Well that's a fools game.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 06:47 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Protecting Burrow is much more important.

Hi Brad - how ya doin....opinions are like - you know.....
Reply/Quote
I gave the pick a B+. I really wanted to come out of the 1st with an OT with elite upside potential and Mims definitely fits that bill. However, the lack of play time worries me a bit, hence the B+ instead of an A. It will be an A+ pick if the kid can reach his potential, though
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 06:41 PM)Stewy Wrote: Went B+.

Clearly not BPA.  Either corner would have been fantastic.  *shrugs*

Honestly, it looks like the league as a whole is not as high on this CB group as the online draft community.

I said this in another thread, but it bears repeating here.  Arnold was CB1 and ran a 4.5 40 at a position where recovery speed is highly valued.  Beyond that, looking at the CB's we've drafted, Lou covets speed, not only for recovery, but also for repositioning to disguise coverages, meaning he probably wasn't seen as a fit for our defense.

Mitchell has a great story and checks the boxes athletically, but he would be going into a complex scheme here and making a massive jump in competition level from the MAC.  Kid is probably not going to be ready to be a plus starter until at least his second year, maybe longer, and probably needs to be in a system where he doesn't have to think so much for his development.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 02:18 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Right now, I give it a solid B...and hopefully in a couple of years, I'm changing that to an A+.

Yeah, I'm sure that when Latham went #7 to the Titans, it pretty much ruined your night.

(04-26-2024, 02:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Not if he played the same as he did in his limited snaps, the film don't lie, Mims was really good.

It would be different if he looked bad at times in the limited film. Then I would understand. Guyton for example did not impress 
me at all in his film and he is getting great grades for the Cowboys.

I gave the pick an A+, only because he isn't in a position where he has to start day 1 and I think that his ceiling is much greater than most. I listen to the guys on NFL radio, and they say that Mims still has some technique issues to clean up. Things like getting overextended on run plays and over committing to a direction in pass pro. There are virtually no "perfect" prospects, but I do love Mims for his upside and feel like sitting behind another behemoth like Trent Brown for even a while can only help him complete his development.

(04-26-2024, 05:50 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Penning was a zero star recruit that went to Northern Iowa.  

I never understood the sudden fascination that many draftnicks had with Penning that year. Even from watching his highlight reels, it was apparent that he was just a big fish in a small pond. However, when a man has those measurables is seems worthy to at least take a shot on him.

(04-26-2024, 06:51 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: This pretty much sums up my thoughts, except. I went A- because 1. Our depth is not good 2. We mostly lost a SB and an AFCCG because our Oline spit the bit.

Fingers crossed the lack of snaps don't hurt to much.

I've already explained the reasoning for my grade. So I'll just wrap up with I'll be excited to see this glorious beast dominate all through the preseason, before humbly accepting his seat on the bench to watch and learn from a true professional.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I definitely wanted an OT in round 1 and they took the best remaining available at the time. Pre-draft they did due diligence with scouting, meeting, and visits; so I’m not too concerned about lack of experience and he wil have some time this year to develop behind T. Brown.

Gave it an A- only because I really wanted Latham, but I’m happy and hope Mims lives up to his potential.

Welcome to the jungle big guy!  Who Dey  
Reply/Quote