Poll: Your Grade
A
B
C
D
F
[Show Results]
This poll will close on: 05-10-2024
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grade the Stone Signing
How do you grade the Geno Stone signing.

fit / need / contract
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I give it a solid B+. I had them signing Stone in my mock off season, so I'm a big fan of the move. maybe I should have just graded it an A, but I would reserve those for signings that are steals, and this isn't really a steal. 2 years, 15 million is right about what he is worth, in my opinion.
Reply/Quote
B-. Good in stats. He's below average athletically and poor against the run.
Reply/Quote
I'm happy S was huge weakness that needed to be addressed we did with an elite coverage guy,
Reply/Quote
The poor run defense and missed tackle opportunities (19%) were too concerning to give this better than a C (I've see PFF ratings of 33 and 42 listed for run defense). Although I love his coverage skills. If he did this good pass defense for more than one year, and if I hear he has good communication skills on the field, than I would rate it higher than average.*

* Edit: I'm in the older generation where C is considered average. With all the grade inflation, I suppose average is now considered B.
Reply/Quote
I'll give it a B. He was someone we were obviously targeting and I'm glad we got him and the secondary needed a change up. A little concerned if he struggles against the run but I'll be hopeful until it shows itself as a problem.
Reply/Quote
C. As in this is probabaly a wait to see...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I gave it an A as Stone was brought in to help with communication and lining up the Defense and he is elite in coverage.

Looking back I probably should of voted B because of the poor run Defense, but too late, already voted A.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, like I think he could be above average. He could also struggle.
Reply/Quote
The raw athletic score being low is concerning.

Reply/Quote
I give it a solid B. Helps strengthen a weakness, didn't have to overpay, one less position to be concerned with in the draft. Well done.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Kind of feels like they should have just offered Bell a better deal last offseason.

$4.4m cap hit for Nick Scott between 2023 and the 2024 dead cap hit and 2yr/$15m for Stone. Ends up being 3yr/$19.4m.

- - - - - -

I hope Stone does well. Good coverage numbers but bad run defense numbers makes me a little worried, but he's still young and hopefully still improving with some more playing time.

Worries me a bit that they must really be out on Dax as a safety. So I don't know if that's a wasted first round pick.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
B
Reply/Quote
Stone was a great value. Pretty strong consensus on X. So what about Dax?
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I'll give it a B hoping it turns into an A
Reply/Quote
Considering our issues were explosive pass plays caused by communication breakdowns Stone fits the need like a glove. Now land a vet CB to replace Chido and resolve DT then we're in a good place.
Reply/Quote
A- young upgrade but did not break bank and played well against us and took him from Ravens
Reply/Quote
Bleacher and NFL both have similar scouting on Stone. Strengths include:

Strengths

Above-average body control in everything he does
Plus awareness of route development from safety perch
Diligent getting receivers re-routed with bossy shove
Instincts allow for early breaks on throws
Stays light on his feet for transition with breaks
Eyes to quarterback as soon as he sees route break
Smooth eyes to process route combinations cleanly
Not much hesitation to pull the trigger in run support
Quick to find his pursuit angle in the alley

The weaknesses seem centered on his physical build.
Reply/Quote
2nd in the league in ints
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 06:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I give it a solid B.  Helps strengthen a weakness, didn't have to overpay, one less position to be concerned with in the draft.  Well done.

I give it an A because it immediately upgrades a position of weakness and strengthens our pass defense. He was second in the NFL in interceptions. 

Everyone's concerned about his run defense, but he's likely to play free safety, so it's not going to be that big of a difference.

Unless I'm just not thinking straight because I'm so tired after working out, Lou plays his safeties interchangeably, but he obviously won't play Stone in the box much if he struggles against the run. He played in the box and at slot corner last season, so if we don't play him there, his weakness against the run is basically irrelevant.

The two year deal also means that he'll be playing his heart out to get another deal after this.

I LOVE this signing!
Reply/Quote