Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Graduation Stories
3 caught my eye over the weekend:

https://people.com/politics/students-faculty-walk-out-of-mike-pence-commencement-address/

Quote:Dozens of Graduates and Faculty Walk Out in Protest Before Mike Pence's Commencement Address

Really have no problem with the kids walking out. They're just short-changing themselves, but the faculty should be disciplined.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/19/education/morehouse-college-robert-f-smith.html

Quote:Morehouse College Graduates’ Student Loans to Be Paid Off by Billionaire

What kind of sexist/racist would do this at an all-male HBCU?  OK, it was a cool thing to do.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/native-american-student-protests-outside-graduation-after-being-banned-from-wearing-traditionally-decorated-cap-002933503.html

Quote:Native American student protests outside graduation after being banned from wearing traditionally decorated cap

This one's got me kind of torn. The design was tastefully done and honored her tradition; however, I can see the school being cautious of the Slippery Slope.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
You missed the Betsy Devos booing at Bethune-Cookman.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/05/10/betsy-devos-bethune-cookman-university-boos/316326001/
(05-20-2019, 03:04 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: You missed the Betsy Devos booing at Bethune-Cookman.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/05/10/betsy-devos-bethune-cookman-university-boos/316326001/

They make to ones who walked out on Pence look respectful. 

(05-20-2019, 02:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: https://people.com/politics/students-faculty-walk-out-of-mike-pence-commencement-address/

Really have no problem with the kids walking out. They're just short-changing themselves, but the faculty should be disciplined.

If the were not disruptive I don't see how you could discipline any of them.

You can't force people to sit and listen to something they do not want to hear.

Maybe they felt it was more respectful to leave than stay and laugh out loud at  Christian playing the victim card in the United States. 
(05-20-2019, 02:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: 3 caught my eye over the weekend:

https://people.com/politics/students-faculty-walk-out-of-mike-pence-commencement-address/

WOW.  For the moment I am just shocked.

There is a history of "disciplining" faculty for political statements in the US and Europe which perhaps should be remembered--now in the age of Trump more than ever.
(05-20-2019, 04:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If the were not disruptive I don't see how you could discipline any of them.

You can't force people to sit and listen to something they do not want to hear.

Maybe they felt it was more respectful to leave than stay and laugh out loud at  Christian playing the victim card in the United States. 

I can't force my employees to do as I instruct for a job related duty? Boy will my employees be happy the next time I tell them they have to attend another briefing. 

(05-20-2019, 03:04 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: You missed the Betsy Devos booing at Bethune-Cookman.

Quote:"We have always been in the business of making friends, and if you don't have friends, it's very difficult to raise money," Jackson said during a news conference before the ceremony. "Her department controls roughly 80% of Title IV monies, as well as grants. So why wouldn't we want to make friends?"

What a moron.

Considering what she's directly done to make student loan repayment more difficult and education in general more costly, it's a pretty crappy move by the university to invite her period. But then to give a billionaire who makes a good chunk of money off those students an honorary degree for the sake of increasing school coffers, that's a really bad decision.
(05-20-2019, 04:49 PM)Dill Wrote: WOW.  For the moment I am just shocked.

There is a history of "disciplining" faculty for political statements in the US and Europe which perhaps should be remembered--now in the age of Trump more than ever.

I've never denied my position that educators should not share their political bias while at school functions. 

I guess we just kinda differ on that. 

(05-20-2019, 05:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I've never denied my position that educators should not share their political bias while at school functions. 

I guess we just kinda differ on that. 

You can't have it both ways.  If you opposed political influence at school then you would oppose Mike Pence speaking at a school function.

You can't invite one side in to influence the students and demand that the other side remain silent.
(05-20-2019, 06:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You can't have it both ways.  If you opposed political influence at school then you would oppose Mike Pence speaking at a school function.

You can't invite one side in to influence the students and demand that the other side remain silent.

I do not think Pence was the best choice and DeVros was an absolute disaster; however, that does nothing to change my position on the matter. But inviting Pence to speak really doesn't speak to Political bias. I'll bet many, many conservative schools would love to have Obama speak.

As far as what I can do/demand as the "boss": you may be mistaken

My guess is the faculty were tenured...so it’s most likely moot.
(05-20-2019, 07:25 PM)Au165 Wrote: My guess is the faculty were tenured...so it’s most likely moot.

A tenured Professor can be dismissed for failure to do their job (negligence) so I'm pretty sure they can be disciplined for it. 

(05-20-2019, 08:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: A tenured Professor can be dismissed for failure to do their job (negligence) so I'm pretty sure they can be disciplined for it. 

Good luck getting “sitting through a political speech” to be viewed as “failure to do their job”.
(05-20-2019, 08:47 PM)Au165 Wrote: Good luck getting “sitting through a political speech” to be viewed as “failure to do their job”.

They weren't at a political speech; they were at their school's graduation ceremony.

(05-20-2019, 02:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: 3 caught my eye over the weekend:

They most likely will be given the school where this occurred. Since it's a private university, they can punish them for it.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-20-2019, 08:58 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: They most likely will be given the school where this occurred. Since it's a private university, they can punish them for it.

Just seems like a good time to take a sick day instead of publicly defying your employer. 

My graduation was great.  First one in my family to get a four year degree!

Oh, wait...you meant "complain about graduation stories"?

Yeah, Pence made it a political speech.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2019/05/18/mike-pence-taylor-university-read-remarks-commencement/3722071002/

Quote:Men and women of the Class of 2019, today you will graduate from an extraordinary university. You’ll begin your journey. New careers. New endeavors. And you know, they say timing is everything. And to this great class, I just want to tell you, straight up: You picked a great time to graduate from Taylor University. The America that awaits your energies and ambitions is experiencing a new era of optimism and opportunity.  You’re beginning your careers at a time of a growing American economy and restored American stature at home and abroad.

You know, as Vice President, it’s my honor, more than I can say, to serve alongside a President who has stood so strong for our national defense.  And on this Armed Forces Day, we honor all the soldiers, sailors, airmen, Marines, and Coast Guard who defend our freedom every day. And to all the veterans who are here with us today, thank you for your service.

And I couldn’t be more proud to be part of an administration that has stood strong on the timeless values that have made this nation great, and stood without apology for the sanctity of human life.

But for all those accomplishments, you deserve to know that your timing really is great.  Because under the leadership of President Trump, we’ve been busy getting this economy moving again. We cut taxes. We rolled back regulation. We’ve unleashed American energy.

And as I stand before you today, the economy that awaits you — businesses large and small — have created 5.8 million new jobs in just over the last two years.  Unemployment is at a near 50-year low. And get this: Today, there are more job openings in America than there are Americans looking for work.  That’s great timing, Class of 2019.  

Not that Taylor grads are going to have any trouble finding a job. You know, I actually heard that 97 percent of Taylor graduates secure work or graduate school placement within the first six months of graduation. It’s a testament to this extraordinary university.

You know, the many Taylor grads I’ve worked with over the years are some of the smartest and most dedicated men and women I’ve ever known.  In fact, I’m proud that we got a Taylor grad serving on the staff of the Office of the Vice President at the White House, even as we speak.

The religious stuff is expected.  Christian school and all that.

Playing the "it's never been harder to be a Christian" card was dumb though.

His BS aside I'd have stayed an listened since he IS the VP.  Then I'd have laughed at all the dumb crap he said later.

Out speaker when I graduated was some dumb local politician and I couldn't tell you one thing he said because he was boring and I had zero interest in his speech.  I wanted to get out of there so me and my friends could head to Florida for the week.

To the other one a billionaire can do what he want with his money, right?  

I didn't even read the last one.  Hey, at least I'm honest.

But as long as we can find ANOTHER thing to chose sides on...keep up the good work!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-20-2019, 08:47 PM)Au165 Wrote: Good luck getting “sitting through a political speech” to be viewed as “failure to do their job”.

Excellent point.

Not everyone understands what a professor's "job" really is, unfortunately.
(05-20-2019, 11:06 PM)Dill Wrote: Excellent point.

Not everyone understands what a professor's "job" really is, unfortuantely.

No doubt, we all can't be experts on everything. But to me one of their implied duties would be to attend the school's graduation ceremony. Pence gave pretty much the same speech at Liberty the week prior. Do you know why that one wasn't political?

Members of the staff and student body didn't make it so. 

But you've already indicated you're good with educators sharing their political bias while on the clock. Perhaps that's part of what their job "really is".

(05-20-2019, 11:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No doubt, we all can't be experts on everything. But to me one of their implied duties would be to attend the school's graduation ceremony. Pence gave pretty much the same speech at Liberty the week prior. Do you know why that one wasn't political?

Members of the staff and student body didn't make it so. 

But you've already indicated you're good with educators sharing their political bias while on the clock. Perhaps that's part of what their job "really is".

Unless Taylor university has a specific (and unusual) policy requiring attendance (written into contracts), only a few professors would actually be "on the clock" at a graduation, namely those tasked with introducing the speaker or otherwise saddled with administrative duties, like a dept. chair who introduced his/her department's students. 

But the administrators who invited Pence to speak were certainly on the clock when they did so.

Do you think that walking out of a Pence speech shows bias, while inviting him does not?  No politics if "staff" and students don't protest? 

If so, then you have defined any behavior other than quiet submission to an administration's choice as "biased" and "political."

If Taylor University is indeed a university, then its mission quite exceeds vocational training and includes imparting to students a capacity for critical thinking, for questioning the status quo rather than reflexively upholding it.

So sharing "political bias" while on the clock can indeed be part of what a professor's job "really is." 

Inculcating blind submission to authority is not.