Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great Lesser Known Movies
(09-30-2015, 07:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Not many people i have known know about "Kingdom of Heaven" with Orlando Bloom, Liam Neeson and Eva Green.

Great movie.

Also, i am sure a lot of people know about "Raising Arizona" with Nic Cage but it is a great movie, one of his first ones.

The former (Kingdom of heaven) is a good movie.

The latter, I don't see how anyone doesn't know. Raising Arizona is easily one of the 20 best movies ever made. Like Rocker said, the cinematography in some parts was amazing for its time, acting was solid, music was good. Probably the Coen Bros. best film 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2015, 10:41 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: The robbery and chase scene is one of the best memorable pieces of cinematography made IMO.

So many great things in that movie.  The dialogue exchanges alone are worth the watch.

Most definately, that show makes me laugh from start to finish similar to Big Trouble in Little China.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2015, 11:54 PM)Benton Wrote: The former (Kingdom of heaven) is a good movie.

The latter, I don't see how anyone doesn't know. Raising Arizona is easily one of the 20 best movies ever made. Like Rocker said, the cinematography in some parts was amazing for its time, acting was solid, music was good. Probably the Coen Bros. best film 

I guess it must be the timing why some don't know about KOH. I thought the cinematics, music, giant war scenes, history of Jerusalem and all of this made it a great movie. Not even mentioning the acting of Bloom and Neeson. I honestly find it to be Bloom's best performance by far.

Plus it shines a light on when Muslim's had great honor. I am sure there are many that still do but it has not been on display much.

Must be the touchy subject that some do not like to approach which is another reason i loved the movie.
Reply/Quote
Ghost World
Match Point
Battle Beyond The Stars
The Inner Circle
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Fred brought up Robin Williams so I'm going to list a couple

I don't remember if this is "Lesser Known" or not but it's a damn good movie
"The World According To Garp"

Then there's this one that I've never heard of until I saw it on Netflix
"The Angriest Man In Brooklyn" which also has Mila Kunis

Here's one with Robert DeNero playing a cross dressing pirate
"Stardust"
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2015, 06:01 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Fred brought up Robin Williams so I'm going to list a couple

I don't remember if this is "Lesser Known" or not but it's a damn good movie
"The World According To Garp"

Then there's this one that I've never heard of until I saw it on Netflix
"The Angriest Man In Brooklyn" which also has Mila Kunis

Here's one with Robert DeNero playing a cross dressing pirate
"Stardust"

My favorite Robin Williams movie is "The Best of Times".
ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
This is a good thread.  I am so old that many times these "lesser known" lists are just old movies that i already know about.  But there are some interesting titles being mentioned here that I are completely new to me.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2015, 11:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: "After Hours"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/After_Hours_(film)

After Hours is a 1985 American black comedy filmdirected by Martin Scorsese, written by Joseph Minion, and starring an ensemble cast, including Rosanna Arquette, Griffin Dunne, Linda Fiorentino, Teri Garr, and John Heard. Paul Hackett (Dunne) experiences a series of misadventures as he tries to make his way home from SoHo.

Very funny movie.

I saw that a few years back.  Another sleeper NYC hit was "Hanging with the Homeboys".  
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2015, 03:05 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: My favorite Robin Williams movie is "The Best of Times".
ThumbsUp

Great one with Kurt Russell.

"You're so full of bullshit, even your bullshit's bullshit!"
Reply/Quote
Some really good one's mentioned thus far. One I like even though it is a little silly is Escanaba in Da Moonlight.
Reply/Quote
I was always fond of Far Out Man.

It's a film by Tommy Chong starring himself and some of his family with a cameo by Cheech.

Most people think it's absolutely stupid.

I think it's absolutely hilarious.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2015, 09:16 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Outside Providence - Alec Baldwin, Amy Smart
[Image: th?id=OIP.Me1c937d970699db1b10a16742aadc...=300&h=300]

Employee Of The Month - Matt Dillon, Steve Zahn, Christina Applegate
[Image: th?id=OIP.Ma57cd7a50a78042cc587b6b248272...=300&h=300]

Happy Texas - William H. Macy , Steve Zahn
[Image: th?id=OIP.M9cebe17064ec6f053fcb7a6ea1aa6....6&h=160.3]

The Ref - Dennis Leary , Kevin Spacey
[Image: th?id=JN.DH%2b7YzrtSD1x3SQ1Zo9Bxg&pid=15...=309&h=182]

The Sure Thing - John Cusak
[Image: th?id=OIP.M60b9a96a94e38744ea00a308b285d...=300&h=300]
Outside Providence was both hilarious and depressing.
Reply/Quote
The Salton Sea was a pretty decent one. Not sure how little known it was, but LA Confidential is a movie I always really enjoyed.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2015, 01:06 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: I was always fond of Far Out Man.

It's a film by Tommy Chong starring himself and some of his family with a cameo by Cheech.

Most people think it's absolutely stupid.

I think it's absolutely hilarious.

Ha.  That is a stupid movie but the Lou character is gold.

[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Absolutely love this flick !

[Image: polls_yellowbeard2_1933_618356_answer_9_xlarge.jpeg]

Yellowbeard

Yellowbeard, a pirate's pirate, is allowed to escape from prison to lead the authorities to his treasure. He finds that his wife neglected to tell him that he now has a son, 20, and shame of shame, an intellectual. The British Navy, Yellowbeard, his son, and members of Yellowbeard's old crew all go after the treasure.

Directed by 

Mel Damski

Writing Credits (in alphabetical order)  
Graham Chapman
(writer)
Peter Cook
(writer)
Bernard McKenna
(writer)
David Sherlock
(uncredited)
Cast (in credits order) verified as complete  

Graham Chapman ...Captain Yellowbeard
Peter Boyle ...Moon
Cheech Marin ...El Segundo (as Richard 'Cheech' Marin)
Tommy Chong ...El Nebuloso
Peter Cook ...Lord Percy Lambourn
Marty Feldman ...Gilbert
Martin Hewitt ...Dan
Michael Hordern ...Dr. Gilpin
Eric Idle ...Commander Clement
Madeline Kahn ...Betty
James Mason ...Captain Hughes
John Cleese ...Harvey 'Blind' Pew
Kenneth Mars ...Mr. Crisp and Verdugo
Spike Milligan ...Flunkie
Stacey Nelkin ...Triola
Nigel Planer ...Mansell
Susannah York ...Lady Churchill
Beryl Reid ...Lady Lambourn
Ferdy Mayne ...Mr. Beamish (as Ferdinand Mayne)
John H. Francis ...Chaplain
Peter Bull ...Queen Anne
Bernard Fox ...Tarbuck
Ronald Lacey ...Man with Parrot
Greta Blackburn ...Mister Prostitute
Nigel Stock ...Admiral
Reply/Quote
Most people I ask have never heard of "Waking Ned Divine".

Very good flick!
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2015, 07:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Not many people i have known know about "Kingdom of Heaven" with Orlando Bloom, Liam Neeson and Eva Green.

Great movie.

Also, i am sure a lot of people know about "Raising Arizona" with Nic Cage but it is a great movie, one of his first ones.

One thing about the movie "Kingdom of Heaven" is where did Saladin get the wood for the Seige Towers, Trebuchets and Catapults?

There is no way he got the wood from anywhere around Jerusalem since there isn't any and he didn't bring the wood from Damascus or Lebanon or build the Seige Weapons and transport them. If I remember correctly, Richard the Lion Heart had only one monster Trebuchet that he used to lay seige of Jerusalem during the Third Crusade and it was a big deal because he had to transport the wood to build it.

It is a good movie though, a really good movie and Orlando Blooms best in my opinion.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
Couple of low-budget British films for you, both set in Scotland...

Gregory's Girl (1981)
Restless Natives (1985)
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2015, 06:10 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: One thing about the movie "Kingdom of Heaven" is where did Saladin get the wood for the Seige Towers, Trebuchets and Catapults?

There is no way he got the wood from anywhere around Jerusalem since there isn't any and he didn't bring the wood from Damascus or Lebanon or build the Seige Weapons and transport them. If I remember correctly, Richard the Lion Heart had only one monster Trebuchet that he used to lay seige of Jerusalem during the Third Crusade and it was a big deal because he had to transport the wood to build it.

It is a good movie though, a really good movie and Orlando Blooms best in my opinion.

Great point, never thought of that. i agree tho, good movie.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2015, 07:49 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Absolutely love this flick !

[Image: polls_yellowbeard2_1933_618356_answer_9_xlarge.jpeg]

Yellowbeard

Yellowbeard, a pirate's pirate, is allowed to escape from prison to lead the authorities to his treasure. He finds that his wife neglected to tell him that he now has a son, 20, and shame of shame, an intellectual. The British Navy, Yellowbeard, his son, and members of Yellowbeard's old crew all go after the treasure.

Directed by 

Mel Damski

Writing Credits (in alphabetical order)  
Graham Chapman
(writer)
Peter Cook
(writer)
Bernard McKenna
(writer)
David Sherlock
(uncredited)
Cast (in credits order) verified as complete  

Graham Chapman ...Captain Yellowbeard
Peter Boyle ...Moon
Cheech Marin ...El Segundo (as Richard 'Cheech' Marin)
Tommy Chong ...El Nebuloso
Peter Cook ...Lord Percy Lambourn
Marty Feldman ...Gilbert
Martin Hewitt ...Dan
Michael Hordern ...Dr. Gilpin
Eric Idle ...Commander Clement
Madeline Kahn ...Betty
James Mason ...Captain Hughes
John Cleese ...Harvey 'Blind' Pew
Kenneth Mars ...Mr. Crisp and Verdugo
Spike Milligan ...Flunkie
Stacey Nelkin ...Triola
Nigel Planer ...Mansell
Susannah York ...Lady Churchill
Beryl Reid ...Lady Lambourn
Ferdy Mayne ...Mr. Beamish (as Ferdinand Mayne)
John H. Francis ...Chaplain
Peter Bull ...Queen Anne
Bernard Fox ...Tarbuck
Ronald Lacey ...Man with Parrot
Greta Blackburn ...Mister Prostitute
Nigel Stock ...Admiral

Have this on VHS. Hilarious. Rock On
Reply/Quote