Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greatest rock vocalist.
(01-30-2016, 06:46 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: He is like Ray Alder of Fates Warning who is awesome as well.

Only really known to those who like Prog Metal.

In that genre he is at the top. 

Geoff Tate would be one of those rock unknowns if it were not for "Silent Lucidity". 

Which is not a good representation for him or Queensryche itself.

Operation Mindcrime is one of my favorite albums of all time and some of his best work.
A couple of songs from that record got a lot of radio play too.  He is a great singer though.  I always thought that his voice was studio created...  Then I saw them for free back in like 1999 or so.  He was amazing live.  I was never a big fan, but he was impressive. 
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Quick scan of thread revealed no females? Is their an assumption that male voices are superior or more representative of rock at its best? No Janis Joplin? No Grace Slick? No Linda Ronstadt? Lots of other candidates also not mentioned. Interesting. As far as male vocalists a couple I don't think were mentioned but worthy of note are Neil Young, Nick Lowe, and Roy Orbison.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2016, 10:29 AM)xxlt Wrote: Quick scan of thread revealed no females? Is their an assumption that male voices are superior or more representative of rock at its best? No Janis Joplin? No Grace Slick? No Linda Ronstadt? Lots of other candidates also not mentioned. Interesting. As far as male vocalists a couple I don't think were mentioned but worthy of note are Neil Young, Nick Lowe, and Roy Orbison.

Post #4. Amy Lee of Evanescence.

Roy Orbison was a great singer but calling him Rock is a bit of a stretch.

Lowe and Young are a matter of taste. They wouldn't match up vocal skill wise in most people's minds.

Just like Janis. It's more style than ability.

Ronstadt on the other hand is very exceptional.

Both Pat Benatar and Ann Wilson smoke Slick and it isn't even close.

She wasn't even the best vocalist in her own band.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2016, 10:43 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Post #4. Amy Lee of Evanescence.

Roy Orbison was a great singer but calling him Rock is a bit of a stretch.

Lowe and Young are a matter of taste. They wouldn't match up vocal skill wise in most people's minds.

Just like Janis. It's more style than ability.

Ronstadt on the other hand is very exceptional.

Both Pat Benatar and Nancy Wilson smoke Slick and it isn't even close.

She wasn't even the best vocalist in her own band.

I missed the Amy Lee mention - thanks.

Orbison was there at the birth of Rock - to say he is not Rock is like saying Elvis is not Rock. Yes, the genre has expanded and changed since those men helped forge it, but unquestionably both were rock artists. Saying they are not is like pointing to the country music singers of today and saying, "See, Johnny Cash wasn't really country."

Totally agree Young and Lowe are taste choices - but I would argue Mercury is too. Many people call him the greatest - I call him different and talented but far from the best for my taste. I also am not a huge Joplin fan, but she is number one for many older fans. Ronstadt had pipes and was just a hit machine mid 1970's. I think you were a little hard on Slick - well maybe not - and I was surprised nobody mentioned Benatar, Wilson, (or Nicks) before now. Good stuff...
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2016, 10:59 AM)xxlt Wrote: I missed the Amy Lee mention - thanks.

Orbison was there at the birth of Rock - to say he is not Rock is like saying Elvis is not Rock. Yes, the genre has expanded and changed since those men helped forge it, but unquestionably both were rock artists. Saying they are not is like pointing to the country music singers of today and saying, "See, Johnny Cash wasn't really country."

Totally agree Young and Lowe are taste choices - but I would argue Mercury is too. Many people call him the greatest - I call him different and talented but far from the best for my taste. I also am not a huge Joplin fan, but she is number one for many older fans. Ronstadt had pipes and was just a hit machine mid 1970's. I think you were a little hard on Slick - well maybe not - and I was surprised nobody mentioned Benatar, Wilson, (or Nicks) before now. Good stuff...
I realize Orbison was more of a rockabilly performer and was mostly known for his crooner songs in the "rock" realm.

The media likes to put him in there(because they don't know what to label him) but he really didn't rock per se.

Unlike Elvis who crooned and rocked.

Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard were straight up rockers. They didn't even need guitars to make them become the genre.

None of those mentioned would be doubted of that.

Those could be in the comparison of Johnny Cash.

Roy Orbison... not so much.

We can agree to disagree. You can find media that puts him in the Rock category.

To most everyday listeners they wouldn't even put him near it.

Just ask someone's opinion that lived in the era.

That might give you a better answer than mine.

When it's all said and done. The man was a great singer with awesome range and emotion. 

No one can deny that.
Reply/Quote
Back in his heyday David Coverdale was a pretty great vocalist so was Sebastian Bach.

Ray Gillen of Badlands was awesome but not really known by the general public.

RIP RG.

Reply/Quote
Heart's Ann Wilson
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
Layne Staley of Alice in Chains

or

Maynard Keenan of Tool.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2016, 11:45 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: The only acceptable Bruce for this thread. 

He wasn't even the best vocalist for the band that made him famous....

Sammy was pretty famous before Van Halen and a better vocalist than DLR.  That being said. I love Sammy Hagar solo and far prefer DLR Van Halen.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I have to wonder what makes a great singer great. Is it tone, power, range, all of the above? Obviously, this is very subjective. I would also add that the songs are pretty important too.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Robert Plant.

Not that he is a great singer, but I always felt David Gilmour's voice was absolutely perfect for the Pink Floyd sound.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 03:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: Robert Plant.

Not that he is a great singer, but I always felt David Gilmour's voice was absolutely perfect for the Pink Floyd sound.

Always like David Gilmour's voice.  Roger Waters wasn't too shabby either.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 10:58 AM)McC Wrote: I have to wonder what makes a great singer great. Is it tone, power, range, all of the above? Obviously, this is very subjective. I would also add that the songs are pretty important too.

the voice that has the power to move you.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 12:11 PM)McC Wrote: Always like David Gilmour's voice.  Roger Waters wasn't too shabby either.

Yess.....a perfect tandem for that sound and the songs each of them sang.

Reply/Quote
How about Eric Burdon. Little dude with a giant voice.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 08:07 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yess.....a perfect tandem for that sound and the songs each of them sang.

On the records that they are both on, I'm not sure which one is which.  I'm not a huge Pink Floyd fan, but I like them.  To me it seems like they both sing on that song Mother...  Am I wrong?  Roger sings the verses, then David comes in on the "Hush now baby..." part right?  I saw them live in 1994.  Waters was gone by then, so Gilmour signing all of the old songs confused me.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 09:22 PM)jason Wrote: On the records that they are both on, I'm not sure which one is which.  I'm not a huge Pink Floyd fan, but I like them.  To me it seems like they both sing on that song Mother...  Am I wrong?  Roger sings the verses, then David comes in on the "Hush now baby..." part right?  I saw them live in 1994.  Waters was gone by then, so Gilmour signing all of the old songs confused me.

Yes, you are correct about Mother.  Roger has the more intense songs, typically, while Gilmour handled the Bluesy/soothing tunes.  "Have a Cigar" was sang by a guy who was not a member of the band, interestingly enough.....Roy Harper.

Reply/Quote
Has anyone mentioned Aaron Lewis yet?  He should be on most everyone's list too. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 03:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: Robert Plant.

this is how i feel about Ozzy with Black Sabbath.  It worked.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 11:41 AM)bengal_fan_in_toronto Wrote: this is how i feel about Ozzy with Black Sabbath.  It worked.

Absolutely.... loved that era of Sabbath.

Reply/Quote