Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Green is great-but is he really ELITE?
(09-16-2015, 10:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, injuries were definately the biggest reason for Green's fall off last season.

I just want to see his hands get better myself. Dude is tall and fast and extremely talented.

What is nice is having Eifert, MLJ, Hill, Mo and Gio healthy. This WILL open up plays for AJ if they stay healthy knock on wood.

It's not his hands.  His hands are great.  It's lapses in concentration, or as he calls it "relaxing."
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2015, 05:31 AM)McC Wrote: It's not his hands.  His hands are great.  It's lapses in concentration, or as he calls it "relaxing."

Yeah, i figured it was something like that. He needs to get this down cause i don't think
anyone can argue that AJ Green cannot be elite, he definately can be and has been in the past.
Reply/Quote
Exactly, it's more focus with Green, and lack of fire. I remember people slammed his td celebration pointing to the back of his jersey his rookie year. THAT is the Green we need back. The cocky, confident, smack talking Green. When he shows up he's unstoppable. There are games you see him talking and those games........look out! How can Hue keep him at that mental level is the challenge. Hard to do when you have a natural laid back personality.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
People like to exaggerate Green's drops to make it look like a big problem with his game. In reality, he has a similar drop percentage to most off the other guys that are in the conversation as "elite". You just remember Green's because it's happening to your team.

I'd say that 5-10% of starting players at any given position are elite. That would be about 3-7 at WR. A.J. definitely falls in that range, in my opinion. I'd put him behind Antonio Brown, Dez Bryant, and Calvin Johnson.

If you don't want to call him "elite", I couldn't care less, but you cannot deny that the Bengals have one of the best receivers in the league.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2015, 11:29 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: People like to exaggerate Green's drops to make it look like a big problem with his game.  In reality, he has a similar drop percentage to most off the other guys that are in the conversation as "elite".  You just remember Green's because it's happening to your team.

I'd say that 5-10% of starting players at any given position are elite.  That would be about 3-7 at WR.  A.J. definitely falls in that range, in my opinion.  I'd put him behind Antonio Brown, Dez Bryant, and Calvin Johnson.

If you don't want to call him "elite", I couldn't care less, but you cannot deny that the Bengals have one of the best receivers in the league.

I just find a lot of this stuff funny.

People create their own new criteria and go out of their way to refuse to call a Bengals player "elite".

Yet in other threads, these same people cry, whine, then cry some more with bullshit like "you can't even tell this is a Bengals board, why aren't people sticking up for our guys?!?"

What kind of ass backwards logic is that??? Don't whine like a baby over people not blindly defending one guy if you refuse to recognize one of our great player's abilities.
Reply/Quote
It's honestly amazing how far people will go to discredit our best guys though.

"He isn't elite, drops too many passes"

Well, here are the numbers and it looks like he's on par with or even better than a lot of the other guys you're calling elite.

"Yeah, but he drops them in more important situations!!"

Well, I just watched Dez Bryant drop a 3rd and short pass that a high school kid could have made in the red zone on Sunday Night Football, the other elite guys drop important passes sometimes too.

"Yeah, but, but...ummm..STILL NOT ELITE!!!"

My personal favorite..

"Yeah, but he needs to be a future Hall of Fame lock to be considered elite in my eyes!!!!!!" *meanwhile lists people that aren't HOF locks that he calls elite*

It's just unreal. The excuses, the reasons, the bullshit. People have an issue when others criticize our guys that actually deserve it, yet they are the ones right in front of the line to take any shots at A.J. Green when they can. Any of you can say you don't have an agenda here, but it's pretty damn clear that you all do. I've seen at least 2 of the people nitpicking A.J. say "Yeah, sometimes you wouldn't think this is a Bengals board!" in reference to people "not standing up for our own guys". Well hey, ass backwards logic, why aren't you standing up for A.J. Green, or does that logic only apply when you want it to????
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2015, 12:10 PM)djs7685 Wrote: It's honestly amazing how far people will go to discredit our best guys though.

"He isn't elite, drops too many passes"

Well, here are the numbers and it looks like he's on par with or even better than a lot of the other guys you're calling elite.

"Yeah, but he drops them in more important situations!!"

Well, I just watched Dez Bryant drop a 3rd and short pass that a high school kid could have made in the red zone on Sunday Night Football, the other elite guys drop important passes sometimes too.

"Yeah, but, but...ummm..STILL NOT ELITE!!!"

My personal favorite..

"Yeah, but he needs to be a future Hall of Fame lock to be considered elite in my eyes!!!!!!" *meanwhile lists people that aren't HOF locks that he calls elite*

It's just unreal. The excuses, the reasons, the bullshit. People have an issue when others criticize our guys that actually deserve it, yet they are the ones right in front of the line to take any shots at A.J. Green when they can. Any of you can say you don't have an agenda here, but it's pretty damn clear that you all do. I've seen at least 2 of the people nitpicking A.J. say "Yeah, sometimes you wouldn't think this is a Bengals board!" in reference to people "not standing up for our own guys". Well hey, ass backwards logic, why aren't you standing up for A.J. Green, or does that logic only apply when you want it to????

It's the Dalton gang. Only players worth a damn to them are Dalton and Hill. AJ Green and Gio seem to take the brunt of the fury.
Reply/Quote
Very good, not elite.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2015, 02:05 PM)Utts Wrote: Very good, not elite.

At least you underrate everyone on the Bengals team.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2015, 01:15 PM)Fresno B Wrote: It's the Dalton gang.

No it isn't.  Some people are just more critical of all bengal players than.

(09-18-2015, 02:05 PM)Utts Wrote: Very good, not elite.
Reply/Quote
Overall, his career is that of an elite player.

He has hit a slump as of recently, but I'm sure he will have a huge game sooner or later. I'm sure the drops bother him even more than they bother us.
Reply/Quote
AJ Green 2011-2014: 4874 yards and 35 TDs.

Elite.

Can't deny he makes some mistakes, but everyone does, Even the best players at positions.
Reply/Quote
I've been having this debate for couple seasons with my friends...mind you I'm the Bengals fan in these conversations..

I get ripped a new one when I say that AJ Green...IS NOT ELITE.
I love AJ, hes got skills and the look of a top tier, elite WR..but he just doesn't have that drive or ego or w/e to make him a top tier WR.

He cuts routes off, he tries to make his own, he doesn't go after the ball... its not mistake Andy has a lot of INT in his direction..they try to convince everyone they are on the same page, but when those INT's come its clear Andy is not AJ's head on where AJ is planning on going.

AJ is a top ten receiver no doubt..but if were putting him in the conversation with Dez, Megatron, possibly Antonio Brown, etc...I don't think he has the same mentality or drive as those guys.

hes got stats to show he can be among elite..but just imagine what his stats can be if he had just a little more edge to him.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2015, 02:13 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Overall, his career is that of an elite player.

He has hit a slump as of recently, but I'm sure he will have a huge game sooner or later. I'm sure the drops bother him even more than they bother us.

He really hasn't been in a slump recently. He's just been hurt. If he was on the field 16 games last year he would have been close to Brown in yardage.

Green had 1041 yards last year playing hurt in a few games, and not even catching a ball in 5 games. Sanu had 399 yards when Green didn't catch a ball in a game. So if you add the yards that Sanu had in the games that Green was out in it's 1440 yards. Plus if Green was healthy you know he would have done better than Sanu.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2015, 02:34 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: He really hasn't been in a slump recently. He's just been hurt. If he was on the field 16 games last year he would have been close to Brown in yardage.

Green had 1041 yards last year playing hurt in a few games, and not even catching a ball in 5 games. Sanu had 399 yards when Green didn't catch a ball in a game. So if you add the yards that Sanu had in the games that Green was out in it's 1440 yards. Plus if Green was healthy you know he would have done better than Sanu.

by recently I meant Tampa Bay and last week. It's a slump for what is expected out of him.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2015, 02:44 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: by recently I meant Tampa Bay and last week. It's a slump for what is expected out of him.

Tampa Bay was in preseason, and it wasn't even the dress rehearsal game.

Is Calvin Johnson, Demarco Murray, and others that underperformed in week 1 of the season "in a slump" too? I just don't see that at all.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2015, 02:44 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: by recently I meant Tampa Bay and last week. It's a slump for what is expected out of him.

so a preseason game that doesn't mean anything, and one dropped catch? got it.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2015, 02:49 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: so a preseason game that doesn't mean anything, and one dropped catch? got it.

To be fair, he didn't look great against Oakland. Statistically, it was an alright game outside of the drop, but he just looked a bit off for whatever reason.

I'm sure he'll be fine this year barring injury, but either way I think we should wait to see a little more before we start saying that he's in a slump.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2015, 03:09 PM)djs7685 Wrote: To be fair, he didn't look great against Oakland. Statistically, it was an alright game outside of the drop, but he just looked a bit off for whatever reason.

I'm sure he'll be fine this year barring injury, but either way I think we should wait to see a little more before we start saying that he's in a slump.

im worried his foot is still an issue... it seemed to be bothering him a bit in the preseason.

(09-18-2015, 02:49 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: so a preseason game that doesn't mean anything, and one dropped catch? got it.

When your the Guy... Dropping Easy Touchdowns Does NOT FLY....

Gave gresham shit for it and green will get some too.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2015, 02:32 PM)rungiorun25 Wrote: hes got stats to show he can be among elite..but just imagine what his stats can be if he had just a little more edge to him.

He is #3 All time in NFL history in receiving yards per game.

Are you really trying to say that AJ's raw physical abilities are so far ahead of all those other WRs you consider elite?

I just don't see that.  Green is not bigger and faster than every other WR in the league.  So i don't se how it is possible that he plays so poorly and still puts up HOF numbers so far in his career.

Perhaps you are just being a little harder on him because you see him play every game?
Reply/Quote