Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gresham is visiting the Saints
(06-07-2015, 03:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Same, i also thought Dunlap was the better pass rusher to keep and we made the right decision.

Dunlap took the cheaper extension and we got MJ back, thank the Lord. It all worked out for the best luckily.

Agreed and now Geno should be healthy (physically and mentally) so I think the defense will be very good again.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 04:26 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Good memory. I forgot about Housh's clash with Carroll.

Same thing in Baltimore. He complained about not getting the ball enough and they didn't re-sign him.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2015, 11:43 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Too soft, in my opinion, and can't block well (although he might not need to in that offense).

I think the Saints offense would be too uptempo for him and cause more mistakes, like fumbles.

I've been wrong before, though, so who knows.

I think he improved his blocking a great deal at the end, but it was kind of like training a race horse to work as a mule.  You don't use the #18 pick overall on a blocking TE.  You bring up an excellent point about the uptempo offense.  I think Jermaine was most limited from the neck up.  A great physical specimen, but that only gets you so far. 

It's really too bad that he had the injury as that prevented him from being overpaid as a FA and signing elsewhere early.  Now, he won't translate in to what could have been a 3rd round compensatory pick.  Now, the Bengals will get no compensation. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 01:15 AM)Bryan Wrote: A bet that he doesn't hit 1000 yards and 10 tds? Or that he doesn't come close to those numbers? Fwiw I would define close as 800+ yards and 7+ tds.

I'd take the bet in a heartbeat for something like a favorite 12 pack.  Once he lets Brees down a few times, you would see the end of his targets.  Here in Cincy, he got chance after chance after chance.  Heck, he was even the "secret weapon" in the first playoff game....with something like four drops.  Cry
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 06:10 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I have never understood the level of bashing Gresham has received here.

You might as well hate on Marvin Jones too.

His numbers were padded by one Jets game that he abused Milner in.

other than that he disappeared quite frequently with Sanu.

Who BTW is a lot worse at target per catch ratio.

I'm not trying to deflect here and realize Gresham was a first round pick.

I'm just trying to say if you're going to point out underperformance and bad technique there are others who are just as much deserving.

Also look at some of the bums this team keeps giving extensions to and guys past their prime getting overpaid.

JG was the least of their problems and could have been had at a decent price.

Brad you need to lay off the Crack pipe my friend.

What about his fumbles and penalties?  The guy just seemed to give a half-ass effort a lot of the time and had terrible ball security that never seemed to improve.  He did improve as a blocker, but you don't spend the #18 pick overall on a blocking TE.  I will be glad to see him on a team other than this one. 
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 05:03 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Same thing in Baltimore. He complained about not getting the ball enough and they didn't re-sign him.

That and the key drop he had in the playoffs.

Both Housh and the Bengals would've been better off if he would've stayed put.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 01:21 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Lol yeah.. Its turned out good i didnt think you could kick the ball forward and then recover it. (on a non kicking play)

I think you can if you are the one that recovers it. 
Reply/Quote
Wait, nobody wants to bring back Dan Coats?
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 04:37 PM)M.W. Wrote: Agreed and now Geno should be healthy (physically and mentally) so I think the defense will be very good again.

You know it brother. Happy to have you here. One of my fave posters of all time. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 05:57 PM)grampahol Wrote: Wait,  nobody wants to bring back Dan Coats?

I was shopping the other day and came across this pair of game used Daniel Coats gloves.

[Image: 6344514506683p?$229$]
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 05:50 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I'd take the bet in a heartbeat for something like a favorite 12 pack.  Once he lets Brees down a few times, you would see the end of his targets.  Here in Cincy, he got chance after chance after chance.  Heck, he was even the "secret weapon" in the first playoff game....with something like four drops.  Cry

5 targets, 5 receptions, 46 yards, 0 drops.

But hey, at least we can just make stuff up whenever we feel like it on the internet!
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 04:25 PM)djs7685 Wrote: 5 targets, 5 receptions, 46 yards, 0 drops.

But hey, at least we can just make stuff up whenever we feel like it on the internet!

It is fairly intertesting that some Bengals fans will bend reality to convince themselves the best TE we've had in a long time is actually total garbage.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 04:16 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: TJ was mainly released by Seattle because he didn't really buy into Carroll's system. The contract is what pushed it over the edge.

(06-08-2015, 04:26 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Good memory. I forgot about Housh's clash with Carroll.

I was curious about what was going to happen to TJ when promoted to a #1 role in Seattle.

He always seemed good to play the supporting WR but I had doubts he could live up to "the guy" as a complete threat.

Probably a lot of fans outside of Bengal land looked at his reception numbers and the whole silent but take no shit attitude he had and liked it(who wouldn't).

When he put up decent but not stellar numbers the fans and media there kind of questioned if he could really do it.

I just remember hearing an interview from a Seattle radio show and he was acting cocky and flippant.

Let's just say...  that didn't go too well for him.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 04:48 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It is fairly intertesting that some Bengals fans will bend reality to convince themselves the best TE we've had in a long time is actually total garbage.

Not saying much...  but he's virtually been the only successful receiving TD target in the whole 4 years of playoffs.  Futile but true. [Image: 44.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 06:41 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Not saying much...  but he's virtually been the only successful receiving TD target in the whole 4 years of playoffs.  Futile but true. [Image: 44.gif]

Gresham has been a fine TE in his tenure here. Everyone wants their 1st round picks to all be perennial All-Pros, but in reality that just doesn't happen. Gresh could have been a LOT worse.

In another thread on here, Fred brought up the great point that while our coaches didn't have an issue using our TEs (some claim they ignore the TEs in our system, but they don't), the TEs would often run short routes and not really go deep often. I did a bit of research and found some numbers that heavily back that theory.

Did Gresham fumble too much recently? Compared to his peers, he absolutely did, I believe he has fumbled more in the last 2 years than any other TE or he's at least close to #1. Did he decide to lay off his routes occasionally and not finish them? Sure, but I think people noticed it more because they watch the Bengals closer than other teams.

His drop "issue" is waaay overblown amongst Bengals fans, and it's odd that the fans of the team the guy is on would be the ones to flat out make stuff up about him in a negative way. I can understand the criticism that makes sense, but there's really no need to blatantly lie about things to make a guy seem worse than he is.

Gresham has had very solid production for being in a system where the TE didn't get sent to intermediate or deep routes very often. He's had his issues, and there's definitely room to criticize the guy, but he's nowhere near as mediocre or worse of a player as many in Jungle Noise will lead you to believe.
Reply/Quote
I guess like 29 NFL teams are just totally missing the boat with Gresham ?
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 09:18 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I guess like 29 NFL teams are just totally missing the boat with Gresham ?

Hahahaha!!!  I like that.
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 04:25 PM)djs7685 Wrote: 5 targets, 5 receptions, 46 yards, 0 drops.

Meh. I remember it the way SHRacerX does. Gresh had a few hit his hands in the first half. Your site must be very forgiving with how they record drops. Why do you think they phased Gresh out in the 2nd half and focused on AJ?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 08:42 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Gresham has been a fine TE in his tenure here. Everyone wants their 1st round picks to all be perennial All-Pros, but in reality that just doesn't happen. Gresh could have been a LOT worse.

In another thread on here, Fred brought up the great point that while our coaches didn't have an issue using our TEs (some claim they ignore the TEs in our system, but they don't), the TEs would often run short routes and not really go deep often. I did a bit of research and found some numbers that heavily back that theory.

Did Gresham fumble too much recently? Compared to his peers, he absolutely did, I believe he has fumbled more in the last 2 years than any other TE or he's at least close to #1. Did he decide to lay off his routes occasionally and not finish them? Sure, but I think people noticed it more because they watch the Bengals closer than other teams.

His drop "issue" is waaay overblown amongst Bengals fans, and it's odd that the fans of the team the guy is on would be the ones to flat out make stuff up about him in a negative way. I can understand the criticism that makes sense, but there's really no need to blatantly lie about things to make a guy seem worse than he is.

Gresham has had very solid production for being in a system where the TE didn't get sent to intermediate or deep routes very often. He's had his issues, and there's definitely room to criticize the guy, but he's nowhere near as mediocre or worse of a player as many in Jungle Noise will lead you to believe.

I agree with this for the most part. He's not terrible. Nothing special either, imo. Just an average TE. In fact, he's kind of the Andy Dalton of TE's.

It's funny that a lot of the same folks who hate Andy vigorously defend Gresh, and vice versa. 
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 09:18 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I guess like 29 NFL teams are just totally missing the boat with Gresham ?

You do realize he had back surgery right? Probably scares off a lot of teams when a guy missed games with a back issue, then has surgery for it.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote