Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guenther Staying Put!
I have no problem with this. The D was massively improved after the bye week.
Reply/Quote
Would you suppose now that Guenther is staying that Jay Gruden might just ask ask Marvin to join his team?

:giggle:
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
For those not in the clear on how the NFL rules work in regard to tampering, as it applies to lateral coaching hires and such. I found this article with quotes from the NFL rules.

http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2010/1/14/1249310/rules-pertaining-to-hiring-nfl

Hope that helps.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2017, 11:38 PM)bonesaw Wrote: Soooo does that mean he wanted to leave and go to Washington???

He must have been considering it if the Bengals blocked it.  Otherwise, why block something that isn't happening in the first place?
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2017, 11:56 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I asked the same thing earlier. I think all we can say for sure is Washington asked permission to talk to him and the bengals said no. I have not seen anything saying whether he would have actually had any interest in going there. 

Doesn't matter what his desires were.  He's staying put! MB has spoken!!!!   Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2017, 11:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Fine with me. His D gave us a chance to win pretty much every game other than Dallas & NE. They played pretty well once Burfict got going. Other than Urban and Simmons he's one of the better coaches on this staff, imo.

Perfectly spoken. Urban, Simmons and Guenther are our good coaches.

(01-08-2017, 04:16 AM)Alleyviper13 Wrote: get rid of our crappy LB coach Haslett who has always been a horrible coach and we will better immediately.

Bring in rex Ryan to coach our LBS lol.

bring in anyone. Haslett destroys teams. ive said and stated it many times. He is terrible.

Most definately, he took a Linebacker corps that looked deeper than we had in years before the season that
we all thought was going to be a strength and turned it into a weakness. The Linebackers were out of position
far too often early in the season and even later in the year. That 2nd Brown game was sad man.

Replace PA and Haslett and this team will be monumentally better.
Reply/Quote
Guenther apparently is the heir apparent. Wish it was taking place this coming year.
Reply/Quote
I think Guenther is a better than average DC. he seems to be a student of the game and always looking
to get better as a DC.
I still need to see him call better games vs upper tier qbs
yeah I get it the Bengals defense was better down the stretch. but Guenther still managed to let
Big Ben move the ball on his defense ....Kirk Cousins looked Joe Montana from 86 vs Paulie
Shutting down Savage...RG3...eh I'm not impressed
wasn't too long ago opposing big game QBS came to PBS and Zimmer basically held them in check
Hope Paulie can do to Big Ben to what Zim did to Brady and Rogers
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 12:40 AM)impactplaya Wrote: I think Guenther is a better than average DC.  he seems to be a student of the game and always looking
to get better as a DC.
I still need to see him call better games vs upper tier qbs
yeah I get it the Bengals defense was better down the stretch. but Guenther still managed to let
Big Ben move the ball on his defense ....Kirk Cousins looked Joe Montana from 86 vs Paulie
Shutting down Savage...RG3...eh I'm not impressed
wasn't too long ago opposing big game QBS came to PBS and Zimmer basically held them in check
Hope Paulie can do to Big Ben to what Zim did to Brady and Rogers

If we can get a better LB coach and add another pass rusher to Dunlap, Atkins and Billings i think Paulie G
could get this Defense to where Zim had it. Our front 7 just needs to add a couple players and get coached
up and bring back Kirkpatrick.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 12:26 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: That's right, but that's the rule I don't like that I was referring to.

They sign a contract, they should live up to it. I have no problem with the rule....
Reply/Quote
Umm...most of the other coaches will be staying too apparantly. Not sure this is news.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 01:38 PM)Sled21 Wrote: They sign a contract, they should live up to it. I have no problem with the rule....

Because teams honor contracts to coaches and players all the time
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2017, 04:58 PM)jason Wrote: Or they can convince Marvin not to step on Paulie's toes when he wants to make personnel changes.

This.....I will definitely give Paulie credit for trying to light a fire under some dead weight's collective ass.....only to be overruled by dumbass Marv.  At least Paul tried, and the defense was MUCH better the second half of the season.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 04:31 PM)Wyche Wrote: This.....I will definitely give Paulie credit for trying to light a fire under some dead weight's collective ass.....only to be overruled by dumbass Marv.  At least Paul tried, and the defense was MUCH better the second half of the season.

As bad as Marv was in the past that was really sad by him. Lost the last thread of respect i had for him by doing that.

You don't stab your DC in the back when all he was trying to do was change it up cause it wasn't working.

Marv just showed what is wrong with him. He will ride that sinking ship under even if there is a chance to plug the hole.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 04:16 AM)Alleyviper13 Wrote: get rid of our crappy LB coach Haslett who has always been a horrible coach and we will better immediately.

Bring in rex Ryan to coach our LBS lol.

bring in anyone. Haslett destroys teams. ive said and stated it many times. He is terrible.

My sentiments regarding Haslett are the same. 
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 01:33 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Didn't they block Vance from a DC job once? That would've been a promotion for him at the time.

From what I understand it has to be a promotion to Head Coach (Denver wanted to interview him as their DC).  Does anyone know the answer to this... the Bengals were allowed to block him from interviewing with Washington, but could they block him from actually taking the job?  From what I understand, he and Gruden are friends so I'm sure they had discussed it before Washington asked.  The interview would have just been a formality.  What if he quits and then accepts another job?
Reply/Quote
I don't think he can just quit while under contract. He'd have to file retirement papers, wouldn't he?
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Jay was hoping Marvin would get axed and a new HC would bring in his own DC, that didn't work out so we now have Pauly G for another year......
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Just to clarify the original post in this thread: Guenther was never going anywhere. I think the Bengals would let him interview for a head job - I think - but never for a lateral move. The Bengals don't let assistants or coordinators interview for other jobs. Vance Joseph is the famous one, when they denied him a chance to interview for a job in Denver two years ago. Usual policy for the club.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 08:03 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Just to clarify the original post in this thread: Guenther was never going anywhere. I think the Bengals would let him interview for a head job - I think - but never for a lateral move. The Bengals don't let assistants or coordinators interview for other jobs. Vance Joseph is the famous one, when they denied him a chance to interview for a job in Denver two years ago. Usual policy for the club.

I figured as much, thanks.
Reply/Quote