Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HOW IMPORTANT IS GETTING A GOOD O-LINE FOR INJURED BURROW ?
I'm interested to see the answers. Some will say, not another O Line Post. Yet as much as we know the Blocking has been worst in NFL the last 4 seasons, come the Draft fans want everything but Blockers.

I'll make my point that I said all along that this O Line would get Top Pick Burrow killed. They are getting Mixon killed also. It is pointless to have Burrow go through Rehab and put him behind Bengals CHEAP Walmart Discount O Line. Within 2 or 3 games he will get career ending injury like Greg Cook. The Bengals can also expect no more than 3 or 4 wins a year with such awful blockers since 2017.

Now I let you people speak. Some are wanting WRs and everything but O Line.

How do you rate the importance of getting a new O Line to protect Burrow and Block this team up the field....Important....Not A Top Need....Our O Line is Great as it is....or Mike Brown saying, Why Should I Pay O Linemen..
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I think what people argue is that we can get them in fa. Not that they aren’t welcome from the draft. If you pick up 2 quality starters in fa why not grab chase or another playmaker in the first that is worthy of the 5th overall pick
Reply/Quote
Burrow is THE franchise player. Do what you failed to do his first year and get people that can actually protect him. Taylor says its just a football play and it couldn’t be prevented but thats only partially true. Take a qb that gets hit 50 times a year vs a qb that gets hit 10. Yes the qb getting hit 10 times if hit wrong could get an acl tear etc but the odds increase with the more hits you take. They need to take necessary steps to reduce his odds of getting reinjured. Part falls on Burrow and being smart in terms of knowing when to get rid of the ball, and part falls on playcaling (running more etc)) and shoring up the o-line.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2021, 03:19 PM)kevin Wrote: I'm interested to see the answers.  Some will say, not another O Line Post.  Yet as much as we know the Blocking has been worst in NFL the last 4 seasons, come the Draft fans want everything but Blockers.

I'll make my point that I said all along that this O Line would get Top Pick Burrow killed.  They are getting Mixon killed also.  It is pointless to have Burrow go through Rehab and put him behind Bengals CHEAP Walmart Discount O Line. Within 2 or 3 games he will get career ending injury like Greg Cook.  The Bengals can also expect no more than 3 or 4 wins a year with such awful blockers since 2017.

Now I let you people speak.  Some are wanting WRs and everything but O Line.  

How do you rate the importance of getting a new O Line to protect Burrow and Block this team up the field....Important....Not A Top Need....Our O Line is Great as it is....or Mike Brown saying, Why Should I Pay O Linemen..

This and D line/Edge are top priorities IMO..followed by TE and a speedy WR/playmaker 
Reply/Quote
Fixing the OLine to make it at least average has to be top priority, above everything else.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Football has changed a great deal over the years. With that said, there is one thing that has never changed. Winning in the trenches greatly impacts your ability to win the game. If you can protect your QB and run the ball, you are going to have more success. Flip side, stop the run and get after the QB, more wins.

The draft and FA need to be highly focused on the lines. All this talk of a speedy WR is meaningless. The Raiders always drafted 1st round WRs, so did the Lions and other loser franchises.

Look at Green Bay, look at New England. Get a good QB, protect him, and play good defense. A good/great QB can make average WR's look better than they really are.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
HOW IMPORTANT IS GETTING A GOOD O-LINE FOR INJURED BURROW ?

It would be pretty useless.

However, a good O-line for a healthy Joe Burrow is paramount. He is the key, the franchise, the messiah for the Bengals Kingdom. If he wins, we win.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Free Agency OL should supplement your OL. Not be used to build it. We should be using the draft to do that but we have had such bad luck with our OL draftees. I think we sign a couple with one being a high dollar. Draft a couple more on first two days and hope that combination along with Pollack will yield substantially better protection for Burrow.
Reply/Quote
VERY.

Mellow

But I honestly don't think we're super far off. A guard, a tackle and a better coach. We've got one of the three. And pollack may think he can salvage some of what's on the roster.
Reply/Quote
Pretty important.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2021, 03:19 PM)kevin Wrote: I'm interested to see the answers.  Some will say, not another O Line Post.  Yet as much as we know the Blocking has been worst in NFL the last 4 seasons, come the Draft fans want everything but Blockers.

If we can get Sewell, we'll take him. If he's gone, I don't think there is another lineman in the draft that is worth a top 5 pick. THAT"S why people are saying go WE or TE. We can get linemen in FA and in later rounds of the draft.
Reply/Quote
Hella Yes getting a good OL for an injured QB star is crucial!

The Bengals need to draft at least 2 OL and spend money on a blue chip guard. They may need to draft another center.

Bengals have an oft injured OT that has yet play 16 game season and is average. They have a former first rounder center that apart from his attitude has not displayed the talent to start either at center or guard. The Bengals former starter at Center in Hopkins tore his ACL. They have a backup guard in Spain and another guard who is injury prone.

Then there is Hart. Shocked

But as Kettering Fan stated in other threads, at least "Turnstile Turner" is gone.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2021, 05:58 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Hella Yes getting a good OL for an injured QB star is crucial!

The Bengals need to draft at least 2 OL and spend money on a blue chip guard.  They may need to draft another center.

Bengals have an oft injured OT that has yet play 16 game season and is average.  They have a former first rounder center that apart from his attitude has displayed the talent to start either at center or guard.  The Bengals former starter at Center in Hopkins tore his ACL.  They have a backup guard in Spain and another guard who is injury prone.

Then there is Hart.  Shocked

But as Kettering Fan stated in other threads, at least "turn style Turner" is gone.

I do not believe for a second that FIK misspelled 'turnstile'. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2021, 06:23 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I do not believe for a second that FIK misspelled 'turnstile'. 

? He's right, you know..

Yes, putting a quality line out there for Joe Burrow is of the utmost importance;  Not only to protect Joe's future physical health, but for any hopes of fielding a winning team.

Obviously, I feel like drafting Penei Sewell at #5 is the most obvious no-brainer of all time, if he's there when we pick.  However, he's not going to transform the entire line by himself.  It's also going to take one, likely two proven NFL veterans from free agency to completely get the job done.

Somewhere along the line (slight pun intended) the Bengals lost their way with drafting large men that were vicious blockers.  Somehow, they got caught up in "measurables" and "athletic ability", rather than just judging a players ability based on how he did versus the best he faced, and the good form habits developed from a lifetime of disciplined coaching.  They need to understand that guys aren't going to develop that "love of dominating and inflicting their will upon another large human" at the professional level.  If they didn't have it in college, it ain't in them.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Why you always yelling in your thread titles??

Reply/Quote
Is there a rule that says you need an O-line?

Let’s put Clark Harris out there and line Burrow up about 20 yards behind the line of scrimmage. We’ll put 9 playmakers out there and somebody is bound to get open. The time to throw should be pretty similar to how it’s been so I don’t see any loss there. Joe loves 5 wide so he is bound to love 9 wide.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2021, 08:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: ? He's right, you know..

Yes, putting a quality line out there for Joe Burrow is of the utmost importance;  Not only to protect Joe's future physical health, but for any hopes of fielding a winning team.

Obviously, I feel like drafting Penei Sewell at #5 is the most obvious no-brainer of all time, if he's there when we pick.  However, he's not going to transform the entire line by himself.  It's also going to take one, likely two proven NFL veterans from free agency to completely get the job done.

Somewhere along the line (slight pun intended) the Bengals lost their way with drafting large men that were vicious blockers.  Somehow, they got caught up in "measurables" and "athletic ability", rather than just judging a players ability based on how he did versus the best he faced, and the good form habits developed from a lifetime of disciplined coaching.  They need to understand that guys aren't going to develop that "love of dominating and inflicting their will upon another large human" at the professional level.  If they didn't have it in college, it ain't in them.  

No doubt. They need to open the coffers and get one of the top notch OGs in FA. As much as i want Chase, if Sewell is there, i have to keep telling myself they realllly need him as well, even though he was the guy i wanted from the beginning. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
IMO, fixing the line through proven FA talent that fit scheme is better than rolling the dice in the draft. Tired of watching guys "learn how to be a pro". I want to watch a PRO football team.

I think the Bengals have TIME to develop a WR, CB, or Dlineman. They do NOT have time to continue to let Burrow get destroyed.

BTW, w Burrow developing, I think the offense can hang qith the best of them IF they have a strong line. The defense can wait until the later rounds. Lots of $$$ spent on the D last year and lots of draft capital. Time for them to earn it.
Reply/Quote
O-line should be top priority,but not in the draft.In the draft top priority should be WR.Besides,we now have an O-line coach who knows what he’s doing.Although I would make an exception.If ther is a guy still available at pick #5 who’s name is Penei Sewell I would jump all over it.Although I doubt he would be there at the fifth pick.This guy is a mauler.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2021, 10:04 PM)PDub80 Wrote: IMO, fixing the line through proven FA talent that fit scheme is better than rolling the dice in the draft. Tired of watching guys "learn how to be a pro". I want to watch a PRO football team.

I think the Bengals have TIME to develop a WR, CB, or Dlineman. They do NOT have time to continue to let Burrow get destroyed.

BTW, w Burrow developing, I think the offense can hang qith the best of them IF they have a strong line. The defense can wait until the later rounds. Lots of $$$ spent on the D last year and lots of draft capital. Time for them to earn it.

Couldn’t agree more with this. Well said.

Reply/Quote