Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have we done one hit wonders?
(02-02-2016, 12:06 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: but he didnt have any other hits i know of... Literally can never remember his name and just because he wrote a song that as a hit for someone else still leaves him in the 1 hit wonder category.

It's like my posts are invisible.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Not going to put it among the greatest, but I like "Dancing in the Moonlight" by Kings Harvest.

Also "Fooled Around and Fell in Love" by The Elvin Bishop Band, but I believe Marty Balin did the vocals on that song, so it's kind of like Clapton on Layla.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 12:12 PM)michaelsean Wrote: It's like my posts are invisible.

Nope he fits my definition of a one hit wonder only has one song ive ever heard about.

and it was a good song most people know.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 12:44 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Nope he fits my definition of a one hit wonder only has one song ive ever heard about.

and it was a good song most people know.

Vincent was #1 in the UK and #12 in the US.  It's a terrible song, but you can't pretend it didn't exist.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 12:47 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Vincent was #1 in the UK and #12 in the US.  It's a terrible song, but you can't pretend it didn't exist.

no idea what vincent is.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 01:11 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: no idea what vincent is.

Yeah you do.  I don't know how to imbed, but go look it up on youtube.

Reply/Quote
"Play That Funky Music".......Wild Cherry

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 01:17 PM)Wyche Wrote: "Play That Funky Music".......Wild Cherry

For years, I thought that was KC and the Sunshine Band.  Imagine being a KC wannabe.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 01:19 PM)McC Wrote: For years, I thought that was KC and the Sunshine Band.  Imagine being a KC wannabe.

I can see that.  "All the Young Dudes" used never make my one hit wonder list because I thought it was either the Beatles or Lennon.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 01:23 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I can see that.  "All the Young Dudes" used never make my one hit wonder list because I thought it was either the Beatles or Lennon.

Mott the Hoople was a good band.  Ian Hunter is a very good songwriter.  Kind of ironic, since "All the Young Dudes" was a Bowie song.  If you're not familiar with it, "All The Way From Memphis" is a killer tune.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 01:19 PM)McC Wrote: For years, I thought that was KC and the Sunshine Band.  Imagine being a KC wannabe.

Hey now.....I dig me some KC, Bee Gees, Kool and the Gang, The Ohio Players, The Bar Kays (although the last two were more funk than disco).....for when you need dance music at a party.  Disco was what it was, but at least they played instruments and could sing without autotune.  Don't judge....... LOL

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 01:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: Hey now.....I dig me some KC, Bee Gees, Kool and the Gang, The Ohio Players, The Bar Kays (although the last two were more funk than disco).....for when you need dance music at a party.  Disco was what it was, but at least they played instruments and could sing without autotune.  Don't judge....... LOL

Ah, the Bee Gees.  Interesting story.  They had a massive career way before disco.  And now, three of the four Gibb brothers are gone.  Andy wasn't in the band, of course, but he was a brother and offed himself at a fairly young age.

She's a brick house...

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 01:45 PM)McC Wrote: Ah, the Bee Gees.  Interesting story.  They had a massive career way before disco.  And now, three of the four Gibb brothers are gone.  Andy wasn't in the band, of course, but he was a brother and offed himself at a fairly young age.

She's a brick house...

The Commodores.... ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 01:45 PM)McC Wrote: Ah, the Bee Gees.  Interesting story.  They had a massive career way before disco.  And now, three of the four Gibb brothers are gone.  Andy wasn't in the band, of course, but he was a brother and offed himself at a fairly young age.

She's a brick house...

My wife bought a 50 greatest hits Bee Gee album, and their disco doesn't even show up until disc 2.  If people heard their early stuff, they would never guess it was the Bee Gees.

I mean this sounds more like The Beatles than Donna Sommers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50vA6O9otjw 

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 01:30 PM)McC Wrote: Mott the Hoople was a good band.  Ian Hunter is a very good songwriter.  Kind of ironic, since "All the Young Dudes" was a Bowie song.  If you're not familiar with it, "All The Way From Memphis" is a killer tune.

But when I hear All the Young Dudes on the radio I'm listening to Mott the Hoople not Bowie aren't I?

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 03:26 PM)michaelsean Wrote: But when I hear All the Young Dudes on the radio I'm listening to Mott the Hoople not Bowie aren't I?

Yes.  I don't know if Bowie ever even recorded it.  He liked their band and gave them that song to give them a boost, or so the old story used to go.  Helluva song.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 03:24 PM)michaelsean Wrote: My wife bought a 50 greatest hits Bee Gee album, and their disco doesn't even show up until disc 2.  If people heard their early stuff, they would never guess it was the Bee Gees.

I mean this sounds more like The Beatles than Donna Sommers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50vA6O9otjw 

Oh, yeah.  In the 60's, though they were from Australia, they were basically part of the British Invasion.  And talk about a string of gold.  They did a lot of ballad type songs.   For a while, everything they did went straight to number one.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 03:19 PM)Wyche Wrote: The Commodores.... ThumbsUp

That's right.  I was thinking Kool and the Gang.  You can't have a party without that song playing at least once.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 03:36 PM)McC Wrote: That's right.  I was thinking Kool and the Gang.  You can't have a party without that song playing at least once.

Fo Shizzle.....

Reply/Quote
"Come and Get Your Love," Redbone.

And on a separate note, sometimes, one hit can make you last forever.

Reply/Quote