Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have we done one hit wonders?
(02-02-2016, 04:27 PM)McC Wrote: "Come and Get Your Love," Redbone.

And on a separate note, sometimes, one hit can make you last forever.

That's a good one.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm pretty sure Sam the Sham & the Pharaohs never had another hit after Wooley Bully.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
What Becomes of the Brokenhearted  by Jimmy Ruffin

Sunshine  by Jonathan Edwards

Stuck in the Middle With You  by  Stealers Wheel

Under the Milky Way  by the Church
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
My Sharona by The Knack
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Cats in the Cradle..
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 06:25 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Cats in the Cradle..

Harry wrote  a lot of songs but that was definitely his only hit.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 05:18 PM)jason Wrote: What Becomes of the Brokenhearted  by Jimmy Ruffin

Sunshine  by Jonathan Edwards

Stuck in the Middle With You  by  Stealers Wheel

Under the Milky Way  by the Church

I played basketball with Jonathan Edwards.  He wore cowboy boots.  You ever hear his song "Shanty?"  Great tune.  Smoked a lot of herb to that song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1TpeMt8aF4

Check it out.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
Mungo Jerry. Who can name the song?

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 06:48 PM)McC Wrote: Mungo Jerry.  Who can name the song?

Summertime...

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 07:10 PM)jason Wrote: Summertime...

They drag that sucker out every June.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 06:30 PM)McC Wrote: I played basketball with Jonathan Edwards.  He wore cowboy boots.  You ever hear his song "Shanty?"  Great tune.  Smoked a lot of herb to that song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1TpeMt8aF4

Check it out.

How did that come about?  I've never heard anything else by him before.  I'll check that out.

I found myself shooting pool with Wilco about 20 yrs ago or so at Ludlow's in Columbus.  The place just cleared out after they played on a Tuesday night...  It was weird.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 07:17 PM)jason Wrote: How did that come about?  I've never heard anything else by him before.  I'll check that out.

I found myself shooting pool with Wilco about 20 yrs ago or so at Ludlow's in Columbus.  The place just cleared out after they played on a Tuesday night...  It was weird.

Went to a little junior College in Worcester, MA a long, long time ago.  Don't even ask me how long.

My second year, I was the student body president.  My administration was, of course, all my friends.  One of them was  the Social Director.  Something like that.

Anyway, one of his jobs was to book bands,  We had this big deal called Spring Weekend.  Formal dance on Friday.  Huge picnic Saturday afternoon, concert on Saturday night.  We had a booking agent we used.  Stanley J, my Social Director, since he couldn't get The Dead, set his sights on Edwards, who we all like a lot in those days. 

The booking agent couldn't make it happen.  We thought that was the end of it.  Stanley hunted Edwards down like a dog and got him to take the gig.

The Friday of the big weekend, a couple guys and I were playing some ball and this really tall, really skinny dude in a cowboy hat and  boots comes clomping up and asked to play.  The other guys had no idea who he was.  I said, hey, aren't you--

He said, yeah, so, can I play?  As a basketball player, he made a helluva singer.  He hung out with us the rest of the weekend.  He and his band--a bass player and a drummer, slept in my dorm room all weekend.

Several years later, my wife, before we got married, and I lived in New Haven.  A lot of weekends, we would just pack a few things, get in the car and go all over New England, something i highly recommend, btw.

One weekend, we end up in Old Orchard Beach, Maine.  Saturday night, we head down to the beach and lo and behold, Jonathan Edwards is playing on the beach for free.

There's no seating, everybody just standing there watching, like boy scouts around a campfire.  We're three feet away from him.

After the first song, he recognizes me.  He looks at me and says. "I know you.  Wait a minute...Becker, right?" 
Becker was the name of the school.  I was pretty blown away that he remembered me. 

He bought us drinks after the show, we talked for an hour or so and he had to go.  The last thing he said was, you won't believe how much better my jump shot is now.

Reply/Quote
Sleepwalk  by Santo and Johnny.

Tighten Up  by Archie Belle and the Drells.

In the Year 2525  by Zager and Evans (had to google who did that one)

No Rain....  Blind Melon

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Love Is On The Way - Saigon Kick
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Something About You - Level 42
Reply/Quote
Wherever You Will Go - The Calling
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 12:23 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Not going to put it among the greatest, but I like "Dancing in the Moonlight" by Kings Harvest.

Also "Fooled Around and Fell in Love" by The Elvin Bishop Band, but I believe Marty Balin did the vocals on that song, so it's kind of like Clapton on Layla.

Nah that is Mickey Thomas.

The guy who joined Jefferson Airplane and they became Jefferson Starship.

The same guy who sings their classic songs "Jane" and "Find Your Way Back".

I actually play that song Fooled Around and Fell In Love in my band.  I really enjoy playing the solo in that one.

Especially since most of the leads I play are more aggressive and uptempo.  It's nice to play a slower one with a lot of feeling like that.
Reply/Quote
Big Country  by Big Country

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 09:25 PM)jason Wrote: Big Country  by Big Country
Great song.  You gotta love it when the band name and the song name are the same.  The hat trick would be if the album had the same name.

How about this one?  "I Would Walk 500 Miles," the Proclaimers.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 09:31 PM)McC Wrote: Great song.  You gotta love it when the band name and the song name are the same.  The hat trick would be if the album had the same name.

How about this one?  "I Would Walk 500 Miles," the Proclaimers.

Bad Company may have pulled that off...  I'm not sure what the name of that album is that the song is on.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote