Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have we done one hit wonders?
(02-01-2016, 05:30 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Whoever sings Bye Bye miss american pie.

Don McLean. And no way, McLean was more of a folk singer so he probably didn't have a lot of top 40 hits (Castles in the Air is the only other one I can think of), but he wrote some outstanding songs. He wrote (and originally performed) And I Love You So, which was a hit for several other artists.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This Is How We Do It - Montell Jordan
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 07:30 PM)Benton Wrote: Don McLean. And no way, McLean was more of a folk singer so he probably didn't have a lot of top 40 hits (Castles in the Air is the only other one I can think of), but he wrote some outstanding songs. He wrote (and originally performed) And I Love You So, which was a hit for several other artists.
He probably got a couple of hits in on his wife last week too....  Too soon?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 07:30 PM)Benton Wrote: Don McLean. And no way, McLean was more of a folk singer so he probably didn't have a lot of top 40 hits (Castles in the Air is the only other one I can think of), but he wrote some outstanding songs. He wrote (and originally performed) And I Love You So, which was a hit for several other artists.

And "Vincent"  You can't forget that creepy ass song that probably made top 10.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 09:12 PM)michaelsean Wrote: And "Vincent"  You can't forget that creepy ass song that probably made top 10.
That song is  creepy.  Isn't it?  I actually like NOFX's version of it.  It's sped up quite a bit, and far more catchy than the original.

One of my favorite one hit wonders is Arthur Conley's - Sweet Soul Music....  Would Otis Redding be a one hit wonder?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 10:22 PM)jason Wrote: That song is  creepy.  Isn't it?  I actually like NOFX's version of it.  It's sped up quite a bit, and far more catchy than the original.

One of my favorite one hit wonders is Arthur Conley's - Sweet Soul Music....  Would Otis Redding be a one hit wonder?

I've got an album with Josh Groban singing "Vincent". Not only is it creepy, it makes you want to leap off of a freaking bridge. It is right up there (or rather, down there) with Gilbert O'Sullivan's "Alone Again (Naturally)"

Otis Redding would not be a one hit wonder any more than Ritchie Valens would be. They both died pretty young. "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay" was released like a week after Redding died, I heard.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote

This song is real popular with karaoke:

Reply/Quote
Maybe we should do a most depressing song.  Alone Again Naturally and Diary by Bread would lead my list.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 10:53 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Maybe we should do a most depressing song.  Alone Again Naturally and The Diary by Bread woukd lead my list.

I find "Ice Ice Baby" and anything by Justin Beiber really, really depressing. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 10:53 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Maybe we should do a most depressing song.  Alone Again Naturally and The Diary by Bread woukd lead my list.

Everybody Hurts By REM makes me want to slit my wrists.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony

A lot of people only know the Flaming Lips from She Don't Use Jelly, which is a damn shame because they have some really great albums.

That guy that had Michael Jackson sing the chorus "somebody's watching you...." Maxwell?

What was that Ted Nugent band that did Journey to the Center of the Mind? Did they have any other hits?
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 11:41 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Everybody Hurts By REM makes me want to slit my wrists.

More than this?

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 01:51 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony

A lot of people only know the Flaming Lips from She Don't Use Jelly, which is a damn shame because they have some really great albums.

That guy that had Michael Jackson sing the chorus "somebody's watching you...."  Maxwell?

What was that Ted Nugent band that did Journey to the Center of the Mind?  Did they have any other hits?

Amboy Dukes. 
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 07:22 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: What about Father of Mine and I Will Buy You A New Life ?

Never heard of them.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
"Goodtime Charlie's Got the Blues," by Danny O'Keefe.

"Future's so Bright," Timbuk3. Great song.

"Electric Avenue," Eddie Grant.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Go to youtube and search one hit wonders. Lots of classics come up. Lots of, "Oh yeah" moments, to be sure.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 02:59 PM)michaelsean Wrote: And you know what I mean.  A band that has one song that the majority of people know.  No "Zep only had one top 40 hit".  No Derrick and the Dominoes.  That's Clapton.

My #1 all time, and I don't know how anyone disagrees, but many will:

Lunatic Fringe by Red Rider.  

Rock 'n Roll Party in the Street by Axe.

Never Been Any Reason by Head East

And one that may not even be a one hit wonder.  Maybe a zero hit that happens to have a song I know and like.:  Keep on Trying by Wet Willie.

My favorite 2 hit wonder, and I'm probably stepping on some toes because there are probably big fans of this group, but I only know two songs.  I think.

Golden Earring with Twilight Zone and Radar Love.

I'm sure I will think of more, but these are off the top of my head.

Great thread.  Endless supply to draw on.

Reply/Quote
"Tubthumping" by Chumbawamba

Not really that bad of a song, but I heard it so much when it was a hit that I wished they had never "got back up again"
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 01:52 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: More than this?

that song has a special place for me... possibly cause i heard it 10,000 times playing gears 3
Reply/Quote

but he didnt have any other hits i know of... Literally can never remember his name and just because he wrote a song that as a hit for someone else still leaves him in the 1 hit wonder category.
Reply/Quote