Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have we done one hit wonders?
Butterfly by Crazy Town
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 05:44 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I think "Jeopardy" became a little more well known after Weird Al did his parody ("I Lost on Jeopardy"). I liked Weird Al's version better anyway.

"This German baroness could suck the chrome off of a fender"...LOL!

I expected my appointment to last much longer, but since it didn't I had a chance to look it up.

"The Break Up Song" peaked at 15 and is still played on radio today.

"Jeopardy" peaked at #2 (behind "Billy Jean") in 1983 which was MORE THAN 1 year prior to Weird Al's parody.  However, I will give you this - I personally only find the original memorable more so due to the parody.  Weird Al frequently did parodies that were better than the original song.

I don't recall hearing "Jeopardy" on the radio since the early 90's but have heard "The Break Up Song" at least as recent as last month so, as I said, the lower charting did prove to have more staying power.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 04:49 PM)McC Wrote: How about "Jessie's Girl" by The soap Opera Star, the song that always made me hope Jessie kicked his ass.  Surely, the Soap Opera Star never had any other hits.

Soap opera star?  Are you thinking of the song "Rock On"?  I think that was a some soap opera star or another.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 07:28 PM)Penn Wrote: I expected my appointment to last much longer, but since it didn't I had a chance to look it up.

"Jeopardy" peaked at #2 (behind "Billy Jean") in 1983 which was MORE THAN 1 year prior to Weird Al's parody.  However, I will give you this - I personally only find the original memorable more so due to the parody.  Weird Al frequently did parodies that were better than the original song.

I don't recall hearing "Jeopardy" on the radio since the early 90's but have heard "The Break Up Song" at least as recent as last month so, as I said, the lower charting did prove to have more staying power.

Really? #2?

I'm surprised. I would not have thought it would have been that high. Never cared for it much, myself.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 07:43 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Really? #2?

I'm surprised. I would not have thought it would have been that high. Never cared for it much, myself.

You must not have watched too much MTV back in the day.

They played that cheesy ass video like clockwork.

[Image: storyboard.jpg]

That alone probably pushed that song up the charts.
Reply/Quote
I have 2 music libraries. The full one is over 30,000 songs but I won't go through that one.

The pared down library I might have found 3 one hit wonders.

At this time what I consider to be the best is "Black Velvet" by Alannah Myles.

I also have in there Quarterflash "Harden my Heart" (not sure why that is in the pared down one) and "I Just Died in Your Arms" by Cutting Crew.

Without looking in it I know the full library has "Break My Stride" by Matthew Wilder.

I don't recall ever seeing (or hearing in some cases) a single list without that cheerleading style song "Mickey".

Did Dead or Alive ever have a hit besides "Right Round". I hope not. Oh and that one song about runway models that repeats the line "I'm to sexy for..". I hope that was the only piece of trash that performer assaulted people with.
Reply/Quote
Barely Breathing by Duncan Sheik
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 07:56 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: You must not have watched too much MTV back in the day.

They played that cheesy ass video like clockwork.

[Image: storyboard.jpg]

That alone probably pushed that song up the charts.

I did watch MTV back in that time. Strange though, I don't remember that video at all. Maybe I was in the Army already when that was released.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 07:13 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Butterfly by Crazy Town

That song sampled Pretty Little Ditty  by the Chili Peppers
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 07:28 PM)Penn Wrote: I expected my appointment to last much longer, but since it didn't I had a chance to look it up.

Okay, I guess you're right.  Personally I think Jeopardy sucked.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 11:17 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Okay, I guess you're right.  Personally I think Jeopardy sucked.

I agree... but then again he ain't the only one to have a suck worthy song to top the charts.

"Magic" by the Cars makes me to projectile vomit on my car stereo if I hear it.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 04:44 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Good song.  The only other "mild" hit I remember from them was "Our Love's In Jeopardy".  But that wasn't really a hit in my opinion.  Good call, surprised I didn't think of that one.   Tongue

So the guy who sang Lunatic Fringe went on to record Life is a Highway and the group who recorded The Breakup Song recorded Our Love's in Jeopardy.  I think I'm much happier being in the dark about these things.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 07:37 PM)Penn Wrote: Soap opera star?  Are you thinking of the song "Rock On"?  I think that was a some soap opera star or another.

No they are speaking of Rick Springfield who was on General Hospital.

Rock On by David Essex was a pretty good tune.  Did he have any other hits?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 12:31 AM)michaelsean Wrote: No they are speaking of Rick Springfield who was on General Hospital.

Rock On by David Essex was a pretty good tune.  Did he have any other hits?

Okay, I didn't know Springfield was in a soap.

David Essex did the original but a soap star did a cover.  I couldn't remember his name so I just did an internet search and found out a few things.  One, the guy I was thinking of was on "The Young and the Restless" and wasn't a one hit wonder.  Two, multiple soap actors had some degree of success in music.  http://rateyourmusic.com/list/TheScientist/soap_opera_stars_who_had_hit_songs/
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 11:17 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Okay, I guess you're right.  Personally I think Jeopardy sucked.

(02-05-2016, 12:23 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I agree... but then again he ain't the only one to have a suck worthy song to top the charts.

"Magic" by the Cars makes me to projectile vomit on my car stereo if I hear it.

I agree with all saying "Jeopardy" sucks but it was a bigger hit than a decent song.  For more example of lousy songs that made it to hits, I must have given at least 5 examples in this thread.  Seriously, was "Don't Worry, Be Happy" a good song or lousy one.  Oh, that's another, was that guy a one hit wonder?
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 11:35 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Well now I'm just looking at live versions on Youtube.  Manfred Mann live does a pretty damn good job on Blinded by the Light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcWVL4B-4pI

I'm sorry I watched Lunatic Fringe.  What a douche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIhF2jE3DVk

And now I have figured out that it is Tom "Life is a Highway" Cochrane.  Day ruined.

I didn't know that was him either.....but now I totally hear it.  Nice pedal steel work there.....

Norman Greenbaum......"Spirit in the Sky"

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 01:42 AM)Penn Wrote: Okay, I didn't know Springfield was in a soap.

David Essex did the original but a soap star did a cover.  I couldn't remember his name so I just did an internet search and found out a few things.  One, the guy I was thinking of was on "The Young and the Restless" and wasn't a one hit wonder.  Two, multiple soap actors had some degree of success in music.   http://rateyourmusic.com/list/TheScientist/soap_opera_stars_who_had_hit_songs/

Oh God I forgot all about Jack Wagner trying to sing.  Awful.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 01:46 AM)Penn Wrote: I agree with all saying "Jeopardy" sucks but it was a bigger hit than a decent song.  For more example of lousy songs that made it to hits, I must have given at least 5 examples in this thread.  Seriously, was "Don't Worry, Be Happy" a good song or lousy one.  Oh, that's another, was that guy a one hit wonder?

Oh you could make a brand new thread of sucky one hit wonders, and it would destroy this site's bandwidth.  

Reply/Quote
Warren Zevon......"Werewolves of London"

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote