Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have we done one hit wonders?
(02-03-2016, 10:22 AM)michaelsean Wrote: What about Donovan.  I can think of three songs by them, but I don't know if any of them make them a one hit wonder.  Mello Yello, and Atlantis would be the two that would vie for that, but then you have Hurdy Gurdy man which probably not a lot of people know, but may have the first heavy metal guitar solo in history.  Probably not.   That's just me saying it and not based on anything.

Also "Hold Your Head High by Argent."  Or did they have some other hits?

He's nowhere near a one hit wonder...  You rattled off 3, plus there is Catch the Wind and the Universal Soldier.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 05:55 PM)jason Wrote: He's nowhere near a one hit wonder...  You rattled off 3, plus there is Catch the Wind and the Universal Soldier.

I just didn't know if any of those would actually be considered hits.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 06:03 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I just didn't know if any of those would actually be considered hits.

I remember hearing Mellow Yellow on the radio all the time when I was very young (late 70s).  I actually didn't know that was him until very recently.  I doubt he ever hit number 1, but I'm sure he hit the charts several times.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 03:04 PM)Wyche Wrote: All good ones.....

How about Cult of Personality by Living Colour....

(02-01-2016, 03:27 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: That's a criminally underrated song from every aspect. 

You guys are so right. Love that song
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 10:11 AM)michaelsean Wrote: OK thanks.  But Marty Balin still did vocals when they were Starship right?  Like miracles and Count On Me.

I hate the abbreviated radio version of Fooled Around where they cut out a verse and a lot of that solo.  And while i'm asking, what instrument makes that sound that's prevalent in the song?

Yeah.  He was there the first part of Jefferson Starship.

I agree with you about the radio edited part.  There's a couple of songs out there that are somewhat ruined on radio edit.

I'm not sure about the actual sound for that.  Our keyboardist plays it on his synth.

People seem to claim that's a slide or pedal steel run through effects or volume swelling.  Which he may do live now.

If you watch the video he is playing it on guitar and maybe just swelling it.

[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Rick Derringer....."Rock n Roll Hoochie Coo"

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 05:54 AM)Wyche Wrote: Rick Derringer....."Rock n Roll Hoochie Coo"

Great song. That was one of those that back in the day I thought it was someone else.

I thought it was Aerosmith when I was a kid.

You gotta admit the vibe of that one has a Steven Tyler/Joe Perry feel.

One interesting thing about Rick is that's him playing the lead part on Edgar Winter's "Frankenstein".

The guy is a hell of a guitar player.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 07:01 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Great song. That was one of those that back in the day I thought it was someone else.

One interesting thing about Rick is that's him playing the lead part on Edgar Winter's "Frankenstein".

Indeed....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Well now I'm just looking at live versions on Youtube. Manfred Mann live does a pretty damn good job on Blinded by the Light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcWVL4B-4pI

I'm sorry I watched Lunatic Fringe. What a douche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIhF2jE3DVk

And now I have figured out that it is Tom "Life is a Highway" Cochrane. Day ruined.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 07:01 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Great song. That was one of those that back in the day I thought it was someone else.

He was also the front man for the McCoys when he was only 17.  If anyone doesn't recognize the band name, maybe their one hit will ring a bell--"Hang On Sloopy," which is an all time great.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Thought of another. The Break Up Song by The Greg Kihn Band. Or at least I don't know of any other songs by them.

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 03:57 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Thought of another.  The Break Up Song by The Greg Kihn Band. Or at least I don't know of any other songs by them.

Good song.  The only other "mild" hit I remember from them was "Our Love's In Jeopardy".  But that wasn't really a hit in my opinion.  Good call, surprised I didn't think of that one.   Tongue
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
How about "Jessie's Girl" by The soap Opera Star, the song that always made me hope Jessie kicked his ass. Surely, the Soap Opera Star never had any other hits.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 04:49 PM)McC Wrote: How about "Jessie's Girl" by The soap Opera Star, the song that always made me hope Jessie kicked his ass.  Surely, the Soap Opera Star never had any other hits.

That song always felt like nails on a chalkboard to me.  Couldn't/can't stand it.  
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 04:49 PM)McC Wrote: How about "Jessie's Girl" by The soap Opera Star, the song that always made me hope Jessie kicked his ass.  Surely, the Soap Opera Star never had any other hits.

That was Rick Springfield. He had one other song that was mildly popular, something like "I've Done Everything for You". Chicks really liked him (I once got roped into seeing him in concert by a girl). But, yeah, he pretty much disappeared from music after that.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 03:57 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Thought of another.  The Break Up Song by The Greg Kihn Band. Or at least I don't know of any other songs by them.

(02-04-2016, 04:44 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Good song.  The only other "mild" hit I remember from them was "Our Love's In Jeopardy".  But that wasn't really a hit in my opinion.  Good call, surprised I didn't think of that one.   Tongue

Even if it was "mild" it was a hit so that isn't a one hit wonder.  In fact I believe "Jeopardy" was a bigger hit even if "The Break Up Song" had more staying power.  I won't believe "Jeopardy" wasn't a bigger hit unless someone wants to provide proof since I'm not looking it up.

Oh yeah, there are those performers you hope were just one hit wonders because the only song you remember is just so horrible to begin with, like "Putting on the Ritz".
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 05:11 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: That was Rick Springfield. He had one other song that was mildly popular, something like "I've Done Everything for You". Chicks really liked him (I once got roped into seeing him in concert by a girl). But, yeah, he pretty much disappeared from music after that.

My ears thank God for that.  Like I said, I really hope Jessie whooped him over that.  It used to just piss me off listening to it.  

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 05:22 PM)Penn Wrote: Even if it was "mild" it was a hit so that isn't a one hit wonder.  In fact I believe "Jeopardy" was a bigger hit even if "The Break Up Song" had more staying power.  I won't believe "Jeopardy" wasn't a bigger hit unless someone wants to provide proof since I'm not looking it up.

Oh yeah, there are those performers you hope were just one hit wonders because the only song you remember is just so horrible to begin with, like "Putting on the Ritz".

I think "Jeopardy" became a little more well known after Weird Al did his parody ("I Lost on Jeopardy"). I liked Weird Al's version better anyway.

"This German baroness could suck the chrome off of a fender"...LOL!
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 05:11 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: That was Rick Springfield. He had one other song that was mildly popular, something like "I've Done Everything for You". Chicks really liked him (I once got roped into seeing him in concert by a girl). But, yeah, he pretty much disappeared from music after that.

He had Don't Talk to Strangers  too.  I just heard that in a store today.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 05:45 PM)jason Wrote: He had Don't Talk to Strangers  too.  I just heard that in a store today.

Okay.  Never mind.

Reply/Quote