Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Have you ever been to Paul Brown Stadium?
I've been many times, but it's honestly been about a decade since my last game there. I'd say in a word, "functional." It's exactly what I would have expected an AFC North stadium to look like at the time it was built. It's got a beautiful location right on the river and with the development around it. The seats have great views (I've sat up high and down low, middle of the field and corners). But it's very lacking in personality and comfort. You'll get mixed reviews on that, which just makes me stand by my statement that it's an AFCN stadium. NFCW has a different stadium standard because of the expectations of the communities they serve along with corporate sponsorships. I think down the road, the Bengals will have an amazing fan experience, but right now it's fairly plain and gray.

Basically, I echo the sentiments of most who have posted in this thread. And I'll echo one more and say that what makes or breaks the experience is the fans. It's all about the people and how the game is going. I've been to late season games where it's been below freezing and the Bengals losing and the crowd sullen and boy do you feel that cold cement under your feet. I've been to other games (I especially love fall games when it's cool but not cold) and the place is rocking and everyone sitting around is your new best friend. The product on the field to me really determines how "comfortable" I find the stadium.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
i been there a couple of times years ago. didnt like it. to much cussing and drinking and acting a fool. would rather watch at home where i dont have to deal with any of that nonsense.
Reply/Quote
Like others have said it's OK but nothing special.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2022, 04:20 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote:  And I'll echo one more and say that what makes or breaks the experience is the fans.  It's all about the people and how the game is going.  I've been to late season games where it's been below freezing and the Bengals losing and the crowd sullen and boy do you feel that cold cement under your feet.

Not a truer statement can be uttered... boy does it get cold and miserable. 
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Been to 11 stadiums that outside of Indy (which i think is way overrated) would be considered the mega type stadium, what I like about Bengals stadium is the open concept is really nice, views are very good in the upper levels and especially the middle wings of the stadium. Cost compared to the other stadiums is best I found, getting in and out is good, tailgating has multiple lots, numerous hotels close to stadium. Could use a bit more color inside and more history and visual images around the bowl, overall a solid stadium with great views, one if not the best prices in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2022, 12:48 PM)Whatever Wrote: If you're local, that's fine.  I drive down from Columbus when I go to games and with my Saturday nights typically busy, losing an hour-hour and a half of sleep to stop somewhere and eat before the game isn't very appealing.  I don't expect 5 star cuisine, but an actual good burger joint, sushi bar, or maybe O'Charley's or even Raising Cane's level chicken fingers instead of the high school cafeteria equivalent would be nice.  

Don't eat at the stadium often but understand. 

Riverfront used to serve Montgomery Inn BBQ and I miss that. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2022, 02:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: Caught The Who at TQL....very nice facility.

Fortunate enough to catch "The Who" at Rupp Arena, Freedom Hall, and Riverfront Coliseum.  

Yet all were over 40 years ago lol   

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2022, 08:50 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Fortunate enough to catch "The Who" at Rupp Arena, Freedom Hall, and Riverfront Coliseum.  

Yet all were over 40 years ago lol   

Off topic but Rupp Arena is the most uncomfortable ***** I've ever graced with my presence....
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2022, 11:29 AM)Marlon23 Wrote: Have you ever been to Paul Brown Stadium?  If so what were your thoughts, and if not why not?  

What did you like about the Stadium, the design, the surroundings, atmosphere, etc...

As far as the experience, it didn't feel any different than Riverfront to me. A big concrete and steel structure where dudes play football. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
God I’d love to see a game at PBS. Maybe one day. Maybe Who Dey ?
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2022, 09:18 PM)jason Wrote: Off topic but Rupp Arena is the most uncomfortable ***** I've ever graced with my presence....

Not a fan of the Arena or team that plays there either lol. Go Cards ! 

Rupp is so straight up it feels like you will fall when leaning forward to take a drink of beer. 

Way off topic but was going to a CSN&Y show there when we were young and my buddy was bringing little airplane bottles of liquor in and asked me if I could carry a couple in for him. Put them down my pants and proceeded in when about 20 yard from the entrance a bottle broke. 

Needless to say I froze with broken glass now surrounding my junk and tapped my friend and said look. This was the wrong thing to say because it now looked like I was in the middle of pissing myself as my pants were becoming saturated quickly and he was like wtf man. After explaining what was going on and the air being filled with the aroma of whiskey he went and drug a garbage can over to me. I then had to drop my pants in front of the world and was so happy to see the wetness was only whiskey and no blood, threw the broken glass in garbage and got rid of the underwear in case any shards remained. One of my finer youth moments lol. 

Now pants wet, reeking like a distillery and embarrassed we turned to go in the show only to get a standing ovation from the people and ticket takers who parted like the Red Sea claiming through their laughter that there was no need to check me any longer. 

P.S. I don't even drink hard liquor and only beer.  

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I went last season. Unfortunately, it was the first Browns game. Yuck. I had a good time. It wasn't anything flashy, but we had good seats and everyone around us was pleasant.
Reply/Quote
The stadium was fine, but clearly can't compete with the new ones being built nor do I think it will have any historical charm as it ages.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2022, 04:52 PM)Tiger Blood Wrote: i been there a couple of times years ago. didnt like it. to much cussing and drinking and acting a fool. would rather watch at home where i dont have to deal with any of that nonsense.

Yeah, but there's no commercials at the stadium. 

Or are there? It's been awhile since I saw a game live.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I've only been to four NFL stadiums in my life, and three of them (Pontiac Silverdome, Riverfront, RCA/Hoosierdome) no longer exist, so my sample size is small. Having said that, PBS is the best of that lot.

I was a STH from '00 through '21 (just cashed out this year) and spent about half of those years in the upper deck and the second half on the club level. The upper deck was devoid of stimuli apart from the game, and you're exposed to the elements, so on a freezing day your only refuge is a 55-degree men's room. And, you can only hang out in there so long before people start drawing the wrong conclusions about you. Food choices are pricey (natch) and vey mediocre, so we always made an effort to hit a restaurant on the way down.

When I finally moved to the club section, I felt like I'd been paroled from my concrete prison and into civility. Padded seats, a climate-controlled lounge with big TVs and numerous food options awaited. There are screens everywhere, and if the Bengals game has gone sideways, you can watch a few other out-of-town games. They would often have memorabilia silent auctions, and on occasion they'd have ex-players in for a chat and to meet the fans. Jim Beech seemed to be there about every other week. Saw Munoz stroll through a couple of times over the years. The cheerleaders would often do a walk-through, and the (west) lounge has a nice view of the river. And, as mentioned before, there are better food options. It's the usual fare, plus spendier takes on hamburgers and sandwiches, and they usually feature one special item each week (Sheppard's pie, crab cakes, and whatnot). There is huge bar and numerous libations.

So, all of that was to illustrate how different the experiences can be depending on where you sit. I'd guess when sizing up the NFL, PBS is probably a middle-of-the road experience. Those with more stadium experience may disagree.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2022, 11:39 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Yeah, but there's no commercials at the stadium. 

Or are there? It's been awhile since I saw a game live.

You're inundated with commercials at the stadium.  From static signage to videos to PA announcements ("Fourth quarter contusions are brought to you by Kroger!"), it's non-stop.  The most annoying one is the Blake Maislin 444-4444 "quiz" that shows a clip from an old game and asks you to guess the correct outcome.  Here's a hint: it's always option four!  Sorry, that one's a pet peeve of mine.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Never was fond of Riverfront. Steep climb to get up to my seats (there were better seats than I had, for sure).

PBS I have a lot of magical memories and lots of heartache (Carson and Chris going down in the same game, same play chief among them). Last year was the best I’ve ever experienced.

Plus, our seats are right outside of the couch area where Ickey Woods hangs out. So, we get to spend a good amount of time chatting with him, which makes it even more special.

It’s Cincinnati’s Bengals Stadium. Enough said!
Reply/Quote
I like that you can park on the KY side and miss a lot of the traffic.

The stadium housed a rectangular field, 360 feet in length and 160 feet in width. It had seats and beer. All I really need
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-31-2022, 01:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I like that you can park on the KY side and miss a lot of the traffic.

The stadium housed a rectangular field, 360 feet in length and 160 feet in width. It had seats and beer. All I really need

Agreed... I'm there to watch a football game. I don't need the bells and whistles.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2022, 01:57 PM)jason Wrote: Agreed... I'm there to watch a football game. I don't need the bells and whistles.

I was thinking the samething. I have been there about a dozen times  I come to watch the games, look at the women, drink a few beers, cuss like a drunkin sailer! I couldn't careless about what food is served or how it is prepared. I prefer to hit the tailgates beforehand anyways.
Reply/Quote